PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Prom Night?

rhett
08-11-2007, 07:30 PM
On the heels of another possible re-release of the first film, and the impending remake, let's look back at this iconic Canadian series and pick our favorites. Will it be the Jamie Lee Curtis trendsetter, the Degrassi-meets-Elm Street sequel, the outlandish horror-comedy of the next Mary Lou follow-up, or the most vicious attack on religion this side of a slasher, PROM NIGHT IV: DELIVER US FROM EVIL? Each film is incredibly different, never falling victim from franchise fatigue, but which one rubs you right?

dwatts
08-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Can't vote - because I don't hate Canada. How could anyone hate a place that gave us the likes of Cronenberg? Other than the clause.... well you guess the rest. ;)

onebyone
08-11-2007, 07:57 PM
The first is my favorite by far, although I get a kick out of them all anyway.

DrHerbertWest
08-11-2007, 08:38 PM
I honestly enjoyed Prom Night IV: Deliver Us From Evil the most. I have no idea why, I just do. I would like Prom Night III a lot more probably if it had been uncut.

Horrorphilly
08-11-2007, 09:24 PM
I consider Prom Night to be one of the BEST slashers of the genre.There is just something about a masked killer dressed in black slashing people.I have thos on dvd and vhs and have part four on vhs.I hope they put this ount on dvd but a real nice special edition.

Sean

rxfiend
08-11-2007, 09:30 PM
I picked part 3, though 2 is right behind it. I really wish 3 would be get a proper dvd release instead of the TV edit being presented. This available in any other region?

Parts 1 & 4 I don't really care for much.

satans-sadists
08-13-2007, 06:33 PM
Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II.

wago70
08-13-2007, 08:45 PM
I only liked the original. I saw Part 2 (Why, Hello Mary Lou!) at the drive-in in '87 with Friday Part 7. I fell asleep. I remember the chalk board sequence which I enjoyed...but why did it happen????

Mark Relford
08-13-2007, 11:17 PM
Can't decide! I like the first two sequels equally. The rest put me to sleep. Was there an unrated VHS of The Last Kiss? I've come across the R-rated one several times.

Noto
08-14-2007, 02:36 AM
I can't vote. I love all four films and I hate Canada.

Mazurka Macabre
08-14-2007, 03:45 AM
The original. People usually laugh when I take Prom Night seriously, but I simply refuse not to. I think I've already droned on and on about it in another thread, so I'll just summarize: I think Curtis did a good job. I think the psychology underpinning the characters and their motives is well thought-out and compelling. Finally, the denouement is close to perfect and rather unsettling. The end really challenges the viewer.

This is one film that I think could stand to be redone. Take out some of the disguised phone whispering and list making, focus on atmosphere, and develop some of the minor characters in a way that resonates with the themes of guilt, family, and punishment/justice.

rhett
08-14-2007, 04:02 AM
The original. People usually laugh when I take Prom Night seriously, but I simply refuse not to. I think I've already droned on and on about it in another thread, so I'll just summarize: I think Curtis did a good job. I think the psychology underpinning the characters and their motives is well thought-out and compelling. Finally, the denouement is close to perfect and rather unsettling. The end really challenges the viewer.

This is one film that I think could stand to be redone. Take out some of the disguised phone whispering and list making, focus on atmosphere, and develop some of the minor characters in a way that resonates with the themes of guilt, family, and punishment/justice.
Nice points, as always, Mazurka. I was a little perplexed about the paradox of taking out the disguised phone calls to instead focus on atmosphere. To me those scenes are hugely atmospheric, and really help shape the tone for the rest of the film. Without them I think that dancin' midsection would seem a LOT longer.

satans-sadists
08-14-2007, 05:44 AM
I only liked the original. I saw Part 2 (Why, Hello Mary Lou!) at the drive-in in '87 with Friday Part 7. I fell asleep. I remember the chalk board sequence which I enjoyed...but why did it happen????

That scene is key to how Vicki becomes possessed by Mary Lou.

Matt89
08-14-2007, 06:16 AM

Couldn't have said it better myself. This and Halloween were two of the first horror films I ever saw, and were definitely the first two slashers I ever saw. Loved them both.

**SPOILERS** (For those of you who actually HAVEN'T seen this film)

What I liked about Prom Night is that it has this overall creepy undertone to it, which is successfully carried out throughout the ENTIRE film. Not to mention the opening is disturbing enough as it is. (How often do you see a CHILD die in a film?)

I honestly had no idea who the killer was in the movie either, and it does a good job at not making it obvious either. (I hate it when people say, "I knew who the killer was all along"...honestly, HOW could you have known?! It's not obvious at all.) The only thing the opening leaves you with is the fact that "someone knows". The ending for me came as such a shock, though. And you'll know what I mean when I say "the part where they look into eachother's eyes"...wow...powerful. I also liked the fact that the killer was a little clumsy. It makes it more realistic that he doesn't get his victims on the first try, or even the second. Adds a bit of realism to it. (And not to mention the chase sequence with Wendy is utterly fantastic.)

What I found to be a little artistic about the film is that the victims are sometimes killed to a pulsating disco beat. No horror music, just the "dum-dum dum-dum dum-dum dum-dum" of the disco music. Well-done. And the part where Kelly has her throat slit, we see the red blood on her slashed neck, and what happens next? The scene cross-fades to a red punch bowl. Exceptionally well-placed.

Prom Night's a quite strong horror film, but I do have to admit it's aged horribly in some respects. (The Jamie Lee disco dance anyone?) But definitely a solid entry to the slasher genre that still does tend to stand above a lot of other horror/slasher films from that era.

...Now if only we'll get a Special Edition DVD sometime soon...

~Matt

old-boo-radley
08-15-2007, 04:31 AM
Fuck Canada.

Cujo108
08-15-2007, 04:57 AM
Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II - I hate the first film (would've been a total waste had it not spawned the "sequels"), love this one, and really enjoy the third and fourth ones.

RyanPC
08-15-2007, 05:34 AM
To those of you who diss the disco scenes in the original Prom Night--Just shut up. Disco rules. :cool:

I voted for the original, but I thought Prom Night II was pretty good, too. Part 4 is simply awful. Haven't seen Part 3.

Matt89
08-16-2007, 04:34 AM
Fuck Canada.

:lol:

I gotta say, I was fucking pissed there for a second, but then I saw...you're Canadian too LOL.

~Matt

Chunkblower
08-16-2007, 08:04 AM
Prom Night 1.

JLC 4 Life.

Mazurka Macabre
08-16-2007, 11:09 PM
I was a little perplexed about the paradox of taking out the disguised phone calls to instead focus on atmosphere. To me those scenes are hugely atmospheric, and really help shape the tone for the rest of the film.
I agree that these sequences are very stylized and atmospheric. However, I felt like they could be read as an infantilization of the brother character. (...which could very well be what they were going for. Freudian stuff like that always seems to be in vogue with horror writers.) In an ideal remake, I wouldn't want the character's actions to appear to be driven by childish - and thus less complex, less 'serious' - impulses. I think the character could be developed in a different way that would curtail this.

Also, I just don't think threatening telephone calls work very well in horror films anymore. If filmmakers can't turn this convention on its head and use phones in a new and interesting way to inspire fear in viewers, I think they should avoid employing the device.

By 'focus on atmosphere' I meant you need to be careful about the world you present to the audience. Halloween managed to capture the essence of American middle class, suburban life with babysitting. Scream tried but failed by way of high school and house party. Setting a horror film at the senior prom is, in many ways, courting failure.

What I liked about Prom Night is that it has this overall creepy undertone to it, which is successfully carried out throughout the ENTIRE film. Not to mention the opening is disturbing enough as it is. (How often do you see a CHILD die in a film?)
[...]
The ending for me came as such a shock, though. And you'll know what I mean when I say "the part where they look into eachother's eyes"...wow...powerful.
Yes. This film is very subversive when it comes to how children are portrayed. (They kill and are killed.) Also, the "phantom child molester" scare that turns out to be more group hysteria than substance is linked to the tragic failure of adults and authority figures as embodied by the principal/father character (a clever, if transparent, plot device, that). It makes you wonder how this film was ever accepted by the mainstream!

That ending had me quivering with emotion. I'd say it's Curtis' best piece of acting ever, truth be told.

rhett
08-16-2007, 11:28 PM
I agree that these sequences are very stylized and atmospheric. However, I felt like they could be read as an infantilization of the brother character. (...which could very well be what they were going for. Freudian stuff like that always seems to be in vogue with horror writers.) In an ideal remake, I wouldn't want the character's actions to appear to be driven by childish - and thus less complex, less 'serious' - impulses. I think the character could be developed in a different way that would curtail this.
I thought that was what made the finale stronger, the fact that the killer's inescapable connection to the tragic childhood event is hinted at with the calls. It makes the ending seem less of a stretch.

The argument that you posed about the son acting out because of a failed father figure is interesting. Since the adults could never close this case, and are indeed distracted by other ones related to the children, it is ironic that a child takes it upon himself to follow through with the retribution. Your point would be even stronger, too, if that excised TV cut scene of Nielsen chopping wood with the eventual murder weapon were included in the circulated cuts of the film.

maskull
09-22-2007, 02:00 AM
OK I finally have seen all four movies and this is how I'd rate them:

1. Prom Night - Enjoyed pretty much the whole thing but loved the ending.
2. Prom Night IV: Deliver Us From Evil -actually thought it was a really good slasher flick. Could've stood alone without being part of the Prom Night series.
3. Prom Night 2 - if the first half was as good as the second half, this one would be in the #2 slot. But it ain't.
4. Prom Night 3 - some good moments of cheese but not a good horror flick at all.