PDA

View Full Version : Horror of Dracula!

Paff
11-09-2001, 07:18 AM
OK, not to brag, but I popped into my favorite used Laserdisc store today, and was pleased to find a copy of Horror of Dracula. Now, it's not widescreen, and I've heard it's a pretty lame transfer, but it's still great to have.

Never actually seen this one beginning to end, I can't wait!!

moogong
11-10-2001, 01:59 AM
good find....how much did you pay?

Yowie
11-10-2001, 06:38 AM
Enjoy !. Hope the DVD is in the works. A R2 widescreen release, along with other Hammer titles, is supposed to come out soon but I haven't read any news on it for awhile.

Paff
11-10-2001, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by moogong77
good find....how much did you pay?

Ah, you see, I bought it from my good buddy Ross (http://www.rossexchange.com). Ross bases his prices on the orginal cost, and not how rare the disc may be. Thus, it was his standard price of $14. To lessen the blow further, I traded in my Moonlighting DVD I got from Anchor Bay, for a trade-in value of $9. Thus, it was $5 out of pocket for Horror of Dracula.

If you're patient enough, Ross' is the place to go

Phibes2000
11-17-2001, 03:17 AM
Excellent film. I still marvel at the ending. Just love Peter Cushings swashbuckling dash for the curtains ;). I believe the fate of HoD relied on the sales of WB's release of the Cushing/Lee Mummy (I did my part ;) ). If it sold well there was a possibility of a Halloween 2002 release methinks. I dont know what the Mummy's numbers were though. Cheers.

Egg_Shen
11-22-2001, 05:20 AM
Damn Paff, I just looked over your LD's and I'll be honest Im jealous. You own the 4 I want most; Halloween, The Fog, Escape from New York and Dawn of the Dead. Where should I look for any of the above? Ross' perhaps? I found Halloween(not at Ross') for $100, but see you paid a considerable amount less. Of course you likely made your purchases a while back. So anyway don't they all have comentary tracks? I know AB didn't get the rights to the Halloween track and doubt if the ever comming SE's of EFNY and The Fog will have theirs and being the Carpenter and Romero fan I am I need too hear them... at least once.

Oh, and Horror of Dracula was a damn fine film :D .

skinnypuppy6
11-22-2001, 04:14 PM
cool I always liked horror of dracula I'll have to keep my eyes open for the ld, I was tempted to by the vcd of it wich is most likely burned from the ld but I'd rather have the LD for the big cover artwork

Paff
11-22-2001, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Egg_Shen
Damn Paff, I just looked over your LD's and I'll be honest Im jealous. You own the 4 I want most; Halloween, The Fog, Escape from New York and Dawn of the Dead. Where should I look for any of the above? Ross' perhaps? I found Halloween(not at Ross') for $100, but see you paid a considerable amount less. Of course you likely made your purchases a while back. So anyway don't they all have comentary tracks? I know AB didn't get the rights to the Halloween track and doubt if the ever comming SE's of EFNY and The Fog will have theirs and being the Carpenter and Romero fan I am I need too hear them... at least once.

Oh, and Horror of Dracula was a damn fine film :D .

Halloween I got from E-bay. If you're patient enough, you can find one there under $20. It's a fairly common LD.

My Dawn of the Dead is the Director's Cut, but NOT the CAV version with commentary.

The Fog was purchased from a friends' dad, who was thinning out his LDs. Those were "friend" prices as well.

But Escape From New York I did get from Ross. Since that was a special edition, he charged half of original list, or $25. I noticed that once the DVD of that movie showed up, used copies of the LD showed up quite a bit.

It really does pay to be a regular customer of Ross. OK, it's easy for me since his shop is about 3 miles from my apt, but he does do mail order sales. Remember, you can set up a list of "wants", and he'll call you the moment they come in.

So really, the only one of my discs that you listed that I'd consider "hard to find" is The Fog. You really can get those other discs if you want, and you shouldn't have to pay a lot.

Egg_Shen
11-22-2001, 10:02 PM
;)