PDA

View Full Version : Laserdiscs that have features not on DVD

fattyjoe37
08-25-2007, 04:32 AM
I don't have a laserdisc player, but I know that there are some releases that have additional bonus features not on the DVD releases. Here are some that I know of, anyone know of any others?

The Howling (has extra featurette on the stop motion in the movie, deleted scenes have more footage including extra nudity in hot tub scene)

E.T. (has deleted scenes including Harrison Ford scene and alternate ending)

A Nightmare on Elm Street (includes all of the deleted scenes)

Paff
08-25-2007, 04:35 AM
We may have done this topic before, and at this point, the amount of extras exclusive to LD is rapidly shrinking.

That said, one of the top of my head is Pink Floyd: The Wall. Has an Alan Parker commentary that Roger Waters immediately kiboshed.

Oh, and doesn't The Funhouse have a trailer not on the DVD? That's a damn creepy trailer (probably scarier than the movie!)

Matt89
08-25-2007, 05:04 AM
The Criterion "Carrie" has a commentary, does it not? (I don't think it was done by DePalma, as far as I know, he doesn't do commentaries.) Also, the Criterion of "Halloween" has a segment where Siskel and Ebert talk about "why Halloween is a good horror film".

~Matt

Paff
08-25-2007, 05:16 AM
The Criterion "Carrie" has a commentary, does it not? (I don't think it was done by DePalma, as far as I know, he doesn't do commentaries.) Also, the Criterion of "Halloween" has a segment where Siskel and Ebert talk about "why Halloween is a good horror film".

~Matt

Shit, yeah I own those two, you'd think I'd know.

The Carrie commentary is more of an audio essay by Laurent Bouzereau and Lawrence Cohen.

The Siskel and Ebert Halloween bit is more of a negative rip on slasher films, although they do mention Halloween in a positive light.

Let's see...Boogie Nights Criterion has excerpts from a John Holmes documentary. Sid and Nancy has some Sex Pistols footage not on the DVD.

Oh, and Matinee has all of the "Mant!" footage shown on its own.

bigdaddyhorse
08-25-2007, 05:20 AM
I know there's an old thread about this, but I'll throw out a few I know right off.

Leatherface TCM3 has 2 commentaries both much better than the dvd.
Tales From The Hood has commentary.
Sid and Nancy has some text and pictures of the real Sex Pistols US tour not on the dvd.
Menace II Society has an all out Criterion SE, right down to being the only uncut version of the movie. Same with Dead Presidents, although the movie is the same cut.

Agent Z
08-25-2007, 09:00 AM
Also, the Criterion of "Halloween" has a segment where Siskel and Ebert talk about "why Halloween is a good horror film".

~Matt

Yeah, I posted said clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c3nXYo-51M) on YouTube earlier this year.

Dave
08-25-2007, 01:47 PM
Psycho SE LD has an isolated score track. Probably not a huge thing for most (or me).

Bram Stoker's Dracula Criterion - all of the supplements aren't on the DVD, though I believe an SE DVD is on the way. But with Criterion you never know what will make it onto the DVD, since Tri-Star is releasing it.

Howling SE LD has more supplements than the DVD. Most notable that was missing was the David Allen interview. See my review for a breakdown http://www.horrordvds.com/modules.php?name=Reviews&file=viewarticle&id=102

Paff
08-25-2007, 05:38 PM
Can't believe I'm forgetting this one:

Elite's Night of the Living Dead has several HUNDRED stills not on any DVD, including their Millenium Edition

ekent
08-25-2007, 08:12 PM
Dawn of the Dead CAV Box Set has a commentary by George and Chris Romero, and Savini, different from the Theatrical DVD from 04.

Agent Z
08-25-2007, 09:33 PM
Can't believe I'm forgetting this one:

Elite's Night of the Living Dead has several HUNDRED stills not on any DVD, including their Millenium Edition

Damn, I was just coming back to this thread to ask about that!

I can never seem to get a copy of that laser on eBay. It may be that the laserdisc is rare, or that my bad luck is fully in stock. Either way, I will keep an eye out for it.

Matt89
08-26-2007, 02:46 AM
the Elite LD of "Prom Night" has a TV spot not on DVD anywhere. (Although it's on the AB Collector's Edition VHS.)

~Matt

Sam
08-28-2007, 05:25 AM
Elite released a fantastic NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET (original MSRP was $99.95) set, too. I still prefer this over both dvd releases. The LD PCM track also blows the dolby 5.1 remix out of the water.

wago70
08-28-2007, 06:40 AM
THE FUNHOUSE - has a nice letterboxed trailer (with R-rated band, I think). Unlike the grainy full screen TV spot on the DVD.

DVD-fanatic-9
09-22-2007, 04:09 PM
And doesn't the Hellrasier laserdisc have an interview that hasn't been put on the DVD yet? I guess I could forget all about it, but someone said it was on-set. And if that means on the set of the actual making of the movie, that kind of makes it a high-priority feature for the DVD. I don't think they had any behind the scenes footage on what they're planning for the new special Hellrasier DVD.

dwatts
09-22-2007, 04:38 PM
Cronenberg's Crash - it has a commentary from the man.

Egg_Shen
09-22-2007, 04:59 PM
The director's cut of Texasville is only available on laserdisc. A good many of the Criterions have cool stuff like Taxi Driver and The Magnificent Ambersons.

bigdaddyhorse
09-22-2007, 08:07 PM
And doesn't the Hellrasier laserdisc have an interview that hasn't been put on the DVD yet? I guess I could forget all about it, but someone said it was on-set. And if that means on the set of the actual making of the movie, that kind of makes it a high-priority feature for the DVD. I don't think they had any behind the scenes footage on what they're planning for the new special Hellrasier DVD.

That and Barker's solo commentary are on the Anchor Bay UK versions. There's an on-set interview with Barker that sounds like what you're talking about. There's also a Barker only commentary as well as the one with Ashley (on the US versions). Not positive if that comm. came from the laser but think it did.

ReelFear
09-23-2007, 01:16 AM
the MANIAC laserdisc has the MANIAC 2 short preview.

Matt89
09-23-2007, 02:04 AM
the MANIAC laserdisc has the MANIAC 2 short preview.

I could swear the Elite DVD had the Maniac 2 preview as well.

~Matt

DVD-fanatic-9
09-23-2007, 03:04 AM
Well, they need to shell out the money and get that thing on the upcoming special edition DVD! Unless... it's on YouTube somewhere.

Noto
09-23-2007, 04:05 AM
Unless... it's on YouTube somewhere.

It is. Just search for "Leave Britney Alone"

Erick H.
09-23-2007, 05:03 AM
SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES has an audio comm. by Ray Bradbury,the cinematographer and the effects superviser.

DVD-fanatic-9
09-23-2007, 02:57 PM
It is. Just search for "Leave Britney Alone"
Are you messing around? I'm a special features psycho! You shouldn't mess with someone like me. I'm very fragile. I could fall apart. Do you really want to have something like that on your hands? :( Why are you so mean? (joke)

Noto
09-23-2007, 04:10 PM
Are you messing around? I'm a special features psycho! You shouldn't mess with someone like me. I'm very fragile. I could fall apart. Do you really want to have something like that on your hands? :( Why are you so mean? (joke)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edJS_t0F7b8

ekent
09-23-2007, 04:25 PM
Elite released a fantastic NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET (original MSRP was $99.95) set, too. I still prefer this over both dvd releases. The LD PCM track also blows the dolby 5.1 remix out of the water.

Yes, but it doesn't hold a candle to the new 6.1 DTS-ES track. When that title card hits, I got goosebumps :)

philxus
09-23-2007, 05:03 PM
I could swear the Elite DVD had the Maniac 2 preview as well.

~Matt Yes.it does!:evil:

ReelFear
09-23-2007, 05:36 PM
oops my mistake on the maniac 2 extras. i have the tin box and i dont think the preview is on there.

DVD-fanatic-9
09-23-2007, 10:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edJS_t0F7b8
Sorry, I was talking about the Clive Barker interview and or the behind the scenes footage on the Hellraiser laserdisc.