PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys still buy LD's movies that you have on other formats?

Horrorphilly
09-04-2007, 01:21 AM
My girls came across a nice RCA laser disk player and like 10 laser disk's for free and I was wondering since Ive never saw a laser disk movie in my life,are they worth to buy your favorite movies on?

Sean

Noto
09-04-2007, 01:27 AM
Depends on the film. There are still quite a few lasers out there for films that haven't been ported to DVD. Likewise, there are still some with exclusive extras.

Sam
09-04-2007, 03:30 AM
I rarely buy LDs of movies that I already own on dvd or hi-def. Exceptions I'll occasionally make:

a) dvd is pan & scan - LD is OAR (most likely scenario)
b) dvd contains dolby 2.0 soundtrack at best (PCM is hard to resist)
c) criterions (a great bargain these days.. many licensed only to LD)
d) exclusive bonus content for films I'm a big fan of (discussed in many threads)
e) cover art for films I'm a big fan of (cheaper than buying an original poster usually)

Paff
09-04-2007, 06:32 PM
I do, but totally as a "collector's mentality". As seen in some of the other threads, I've been collecting all Criterion Kurosawas, all Elite horrors, all Tai Seng discs. Some of those movies were ones I already own on DVD. I like getting Hong Kong movies on LD, 'cause of the dual subtitles (Chinese and English) that are burned into the print. A lot of the times, you can barely read them! Odd that I'd want to collect them, but many of my first exposures to HK cinema was VHS copies of these discs, so it's nostalgic for me.

ekent
09-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Yes, I do it for collection purposes, mostly for Romero films. I'm still on the hunt for the 2 Japanese Night of the Living Dead LDs, and the Dawn of the Dead Conclusion Set. It took me forever to find the Japanese discs of The Crazies and Season of the Witch.

Matt89
09-05-2007, 06:13 PM
I'll grab a laserdisc here and there. There's this one uszed book/magazine/video/dvd store downtown by my school that also has a bunch of lasers for $5.99. I actually stumbled across the Criterion of Halloween yesterday. I almost shat my pants. They had the Criterion of Taxi Driver too for $14.99, since the Scorsese commentary is still exclusive to that LD.

~Matt

Matt89
09-05-2007, 06:14 PM
...But does anybody know why Criterion had the rights to so many films on LD, but no longer has them for DVD? I guess the companies wanted to release their own versions?

~Matt

bigdaddyhorse
09-06-2007, 03:30 AM
...But does anybody know why Criterion had the rights to so many films on LD, but no longer has them for DVD? I guess the companies wanted to release their own versions?

~Matt

They just licsense the titles from the studio that owns them, and while some run long periods of time, most run out after a year or 2 and don't get re-newed. They will sometimes then licsense their extras out to the studios if the studio is doing it's own SE. They rarely will let a commentary go to dvd they don't prodruce though, I think Halloween is the only one to ever make it. Other extras they aren't so stingy.

indiephantom
09-13-2007, 05:02 AM

~Matt

Criterion was one of the only companies selling really packed special editions and they virtually introduced the box set SE and the commentary track. LD was a very niche market appealing to more serious film enthusiasts and it was always outsold by VHS. Criterion was able to buy and release SEs of many films that were available from the licensing studios on standard editions already, and the Criterion version would often arrive a few months down the line. Once DVD hit, studios like New Line (which often licensed to CC) realized that the more general public was becoming interested in these special features so they created their own deluxe editions, which are clearly modelled after Criterion's appear. (check out the 2-disc edition of "Boogie Nights" on DVD, which even has the same cover art as the CC version which was available on LD).