PDA

View Full Version : Lasers that are still the best version available (2007)

ekent
09-05-2007, 04:07 PM
Blade (DTS) - The video is very nice but not as nice as the DVD, but the real selling point is the phat DTS track. Until this puppy drops on HD/BR, this is the version to have.

Summer Camp Nightmare - This isn't on DVD yet, and the laser sports a much brighter transfer than the VHS.

These are just off the top of my head, I'm sure I'll think of more later.

Sam
09-05-2007, 04:24 PM
I think the Spartacus Criterion LD is nearly on par with the HD DVD. Quite a feat.. or lack of effort by Universal on the hi-def transfer. Otherwise, about 99% of my titles I think are even or better on the dvd through the great upconversion on my Toshiba HD player. Audio wise, I always enjoy PCM more than Dolby 2.0 dvd tracks. AC-3 vs. 5.1 is usually more similar or slightly in LD's favor. There are very few LDs these days that aren't exclusives that I would buy only on LD if given the choice (ie, didn't already own it).

Paff
09-05-2007, 04:37 PM
Has a decent DVD of Roman Polanski's Repulsion ever come out? If not, the Criterion LD is still the best version of that movie.

Ash28M
09-05-2007, 06:08 PM
Has a decent DVD of Roman Polanski's Repulsion ever come out? If not, the Criterion LD is still the best version of that movie.

I have the UK R2 and it looks pretty good. I haven't seen the LD though.

Matt89
09-05-2007, 06:09 PM

There are some screenshots on the Anchor Bay UK (http://www.anchorbay.co.uk/perl/search.pl?CO=ABD4230) website. Looks pretty good, but you never really know with Anchor Bay UK. :S

~Matt