PDA

View Full Version : October Contest #1: Slashers

rhett
10-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Echo Bridge's PROM NIGHT and Fox/MGM's THE BURNING are helping us horror fans everywhere fill our collections with the classic slashers. Long hard to find, they are now revved up in nice new DVDs and now you all have the chance to win them. This contest is simple...tell us what your favorite slasher is, and why, and you'll automatically be entered in our contest for these fine DVDs:

http://images.dvdempire.com/gen/movies/1360315.jpg (http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.asp?userid=99365979206128&item_id=1360315&searchID=288065)http://images.dvdempire.com/gen/movies/1361488.jpg (http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.asp?userid=99365979206128&item_id=1361488)

Here's the prize breakdown:

1st Place: PROM NIGHT and THE BURNING DVDs
4 Runners up: Either PROM NIGHT or THE BURNING DVDs

The contest will run until Sunday, October 6th, at which point the winners will be randomly drawn.

So look through your collection and tell us...what's your favorite slasher, and why?

Devo1313
10-01-2007, 07:03 PM
My all time fave would probably be Slumber Party Massacre. I've seen it over 700 times cause it was the first videotape I ever owned way back in the early 80s and got a lot of use out of it. It's got the unusual weapon of a powerdrill,lots of nudity,stupid teens,California living(I live in Ohio which sucks),
fun creepy Casio soundtrack and goofy dialogue. A true classic!
Vince Cornelius
m231@earthlink.net

Fistfuck
10-01-2007, 07:04 PM
Halloween, the proto-slasher. I was young yet, and knew nothing about film, when I realized there was a difference between Halloween and others films in the same subgenre. It wasn't until later that I could put it into words. Everything in the film is understated yet explicit. The feel of the wind on a cool Autumn night, the carved pumpkins, the excited chatter of trick-or-treaters. It wasn't until I was able to define these things that I understood atmosphere and how much it adds to a movie. My favorite shot in the film is the long take of Loomis walking along the street after discovering Myer's car. In the background you can see toilet paper blowing in the breeze. Rarely does a scene come along that can perfectly sum up a time, a location, and the feeling of dread after the night's festivities have ended and the revelers are tucked safely in their beds, smiles on their faces, unaware of the danger that lurks in the shadows.

RyanPC
10-01-2007, 07:05 PM
My favorite slasher is Maniac. I love the seedy atmosphere courtesy of NYC and Joe Spinell's incredible performance. The chase scene through the subway is certainly a highlight, as well as the iconic scalping of the prostitute in the hotel room. The film also features some of Tom Savini's best special effects work; in my eyes, the effects in Maniac are right up there with Savini's work on The Prowler and The Burning.

Runner-up would probably be Sleepaway Camp. I've been fascinated by this film since I was a young kid, renting it multiple times on VHS from my local mom and pop video store until I bought the DVD. The ending is the most memorable bit for me, but the whole movie has an unshakable atmosphere about it that I really can't explain.

ekent
10-01-2007, 07:06 PM
My favorite slasher would have to be Friday the 13th. I used to work as a camp counselor at a summer camp so I like pretty much any film on the subject, but this film, more than others, exposes how helpless you are when you are just a handful of people in the woods. Any nutjob can wander in and do as they please, as is the case here. What works so well is the serious approach to the film. A realistic "what-if" type film that didn't feel the need to influx the script with fart gags. This is the kind of stuff that goes on during a staff training week, especially the fucking.

Then there's Pamela. Imagine finding all of your friends dead, then thinking someone has arrived to help, only to find that she is bat shit crazy and talking about the most insane nonsense, turning from being understanding and sympathetic to loony and vengeful in a matter of moments. Scary shit to say the least. The moment in the film where Pamela is behind the shower curtain, waiting for Jeannine Taylor, when you can barely see her hand, still gives me chills everytime I see it. It is a true "did I really see that" moment that most people have every so often that never pans out to anything, but not in this case.

Then there is the work of Tom Savini, which was still raw, but damn effective. His gags alone make the film a classic.

bigdaddyhorse
10-01-2007, 07:42 PM
I'd have to say the original Halloween. It was among the first slashers I ever saw and really freaked me out when I was a kid and they ran the TV version (when I was much younger my parents were of the opinion that there's no need to waste money on cable or video, finally breaking down and getting a vcr years later).

A close second would be Friday the 13th part 2. This was the first uncut (well, uncut from theater version) movie I saw. They played it on channel 20 which I think used to be CBS. This was right around when part 3 went to theaters and they had a special uncut showing at midnight. Still had commercials, but also had gore and boobies. Sometime during this showing I just feel in love with the genre and wanted more. Then my parents wouldn't take me to see part 3 in the theater, I recall something about me being too into the uncut part 2, or being too hyper during it.:cry:

Until then I had mostly watched old Universal horror and Sci-Fi stuff they'd play on tv. I also remember running home from elementary school to catch Godzilla movies. They have G-weeks all the time that started at 4, while school let out at 3:50 and it was 15-20 minute walk so I'd have to run to not miss anything.:)

krugerkid13
10-01-2007, 08:12 PM
To narrow down to just one is hard to do when there are so many included in this sub-genre. I would have to go with Tobe Hoopers overlooked Funhouse. Mixing both the monster and the slasher genre together in a very fun and creepy atmosphere makes this a great watch any night of the week. Also providing us ith the always scary carnival setting.

rxfiend
10-01-2007, 08:18 PM
My Bloody Valentine.
As to why? I'm not sure, but I've always enjoyed it and the miner's outfit worked for the killer, especially the mask.

Xtro_13
10-01-2007, 08:21 PM
My favorite slasher is "Friday the 13th" the original. I maybe dating myself, but it was the first "R" rated movie that I saw back in 1980 (and no, I was not 17 year olds). Since then, I've owe every Friday movie on DVD, even the R2 version of the original, and also own the "Crystal Lake Memories" book. Which I've read about three times since getting it early this year.

MorallySound
10-01-2007, 08:22 PM
My favorite slasher is easily Bill Lustig's Maniac. Frank Zito has no super-natural powers, no big-bulking muscles or over-sized stature, and no signature weapon. Frank Zito is you're normal, every-day depressed and disturbed human being, just like the rest of us. This here makes it the greatest slasher because we have a charcter who is damaged, but so damaged he can not control himself any more. Frank Zito is the purest slasher villain in the history of cinema. This could happen to any one of us under certain circmstances, so Maniac is really about not letting our own demons and downfalls take hold so that we ourselves do not take it out on others like Frank Zito. Maniac is scary, haunting, and the perfect slasher movie.

uradouche
10-01-2007, 08:38 PM
Has to be The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Still one of the most unsettling films I've ever seen. Haunting imagery, weird character actors and a palpable reality. It was one of the first horror films for me that really felt raw and "real."

_pi_
10-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Wow, this is a nice contest! :D

My favorite slasher ... I guess I would have to say A Nightmare on Elm Street. It mixes the slasher element with some interesting surrealism and nightmarish aspects and I really enjoy the backstory. It's probably the slasher I revisit most often, and even if it isn't as "pure" as Halloween or Friday the 13th, I still think it's a prime example of the genre.

There are several runners-up, but I'd like to take the time to mention the unutterably fabulous Sleepaway Camp 2, which will surely be remembered as one of the greatest films of all time.

zompirejoe
10-01-2007, 09:22 PM
My all time favorite would have to be MADMAN. Forget the acting, and it is just plain creepy with some nice gore thrown in. The Madman Marz boogeyman character still haunts me .I thought the mythology (although not original) was very cool, and the filmmakers did a lot with very little. Probably the best of the camp slashers, in my opinion, with THE BURNING and FRIDAY THE 13TH close behind.

maybrick
10-01-2007, 09:32 PM
I like Halloween best because unlike most slasher movies it's actually SCARY and doesn't rely on gore to shock. Also the music kicks serious ass.

This is a great contest because I don't own either title yet. :)

Bobbywoodhogan
10-01-2007, 09:35 PM
I like Halloween best because unlike most slasher movies it's actually SCARY and doesn't rely on gore to shock. Also the music kicks serious ass.

Agreed :)

RyanPC
10-01-2007, 09:40 PM
My favorite slasher is easily Bill Lustig's Maniac. Frank Zito has no super-natural powers, no big-bulking muscles or over-sized stature, and no signature weapon. Frank Zito is you're normal, every-day depressed and disturbed human being, just like the rest of us. This here makes it the greatest slasher because we have a charcter who is damaged, but so damaged he can not control himself any more. Frank Zito is the purest slasher villain in the history of cinema. This could happen to any one of us under certain circmstances, so Maniac is really about not letting our own demons and downfalls take hold so that we ourselves do not take it out on others like Frank Zito. Maniac is scary, haunting, and the perfect slasher movie.

Agreed. This is why I love the scenes with Caroline Munro; when Spinell is around her, he is rather likable, which ultimately makes him more terrifying.

Katatonia
10-01-2007, 10:29 PM
I would say it would have to be the original "Halloween" from John Carpenter; which in my opinion is the definitive slasher film, not to mention one of the first.

The atmosphere, music, production design, casting, etc. all blend perfectly to create a venerable horror/slasher classic.

onebyone
10-01-2007, 10:40 PM
It is really hard for me to narrow it down to my personal favorite slasher film, because I truly do love so many. If I have to choose, I would have to go with Friday the 13th Part 2 because that's the first movie we get Jason, the man the myth the legend, in action. What can I say, I'm a Jason girl.

http://www.supermegashow.com/2007/dash2.jpg

Numania
10-01-2007, 10:43 PM
A Nightmare on Elm St. is my favorite slasher. I agree with _Pi_ in that it has an extra dimension of slasher radness. It has great gore, a creepy score, a great atmosphere, and the terror is unescapable. If other slashers made you scared to go in the woods, this one would make you scared to go to sleep.
I totally want to watch this one tonight.

philxus
10-01-2007, 10:52 PM
Original Halloween:evil:

Agent Z
10-01-2007, 10:53 PM
For pure nostalgia alone, I'm going with Friday the 13th Part 3, as my uncle (who had no conscience when it came to observing movie ratings and their impact on young ones :p ) took me and my two brothers to see it in NYC, where the theater alone was ominous enough.

Then there was my experience with the hatchet after the film, which will always make me wonder if my family was intentionally trying to scar me psychologically. :eek2:

Slow
10-01-2007, 10:53 PM
Foregoing the obvious Halloween I'm going to say House on Sorority Row. I love the atmosphere of that movie and it has some great kitschy moments.

Workshed
10-01-2007, 11:36 PM
I'm not going to mention SC or Halloween at all, promise, except Sleepaway Camp stuck with me the most, and Halloween is the classic. In a spur-of-the-moment decision I'm gonna go with Halloween II. The direction is not Carpenter's, of course, but it's a hell of a lot of fun. Comparatively, H2 has nothing to do with subtlety and all to do with bludgeons. I'm not sure if Carpenter could have followed his original, but if you're going to sequelize it, go for broke. I had a great time the first time I saw it. Every character makes poor decisions and they must pay for them. It's a helluva lot better than some sequels, and I think a solid horror franchise follow-up, as far as horror franchise follow-ups go. It's almost gleeful and grim at the same time.

Wikipedia has an entertaining entry on H2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween_II):

The decision to include more gore and nudity in the sequel was not made by Rosenthal, who contends that it was Carpenter who chose to make the film much bloodier than the original.[23] According to the film's official website, "Carpenter came in and directed a few sequences to clean up some of Rosenthal's work."[21] One reviewer of the film notes that "Carpenter, concerned that the picture would be deemed too 'tame' by the slasher audience, re-filmed several death scenes with more gore."[24] When asked about his role in the directing process, Carpenter told an interviewer:

That's a long, long story. That was a project I got involved in as a result of several different kinds of pressure. I had no influence over the direction of the film. I had an influence in the post-production. I saw a rough cut of Halloween II, and it wasn't scary. It was about as scary as Quincy. So we had to do some post-production work to bring it at least up to par with the competition.[5]

Rosenthal was not pleased with Carpenter's changes. He reportedly complained that Carpenter "ruined [my] carefully paced film."

Oh, the drama! And death by hot tub. I see H2 as the Aliens to Halloween's Alien. Taking that further, both sequels were followed by a third installment that polarized and subsequent sequels that served to bloat and dilute the original intent. So, blame Halloween II, apparently my favorite Slasher.

stl7dust
10-02-2007, 02:32 AM
Twitch of a Death Nerve or Bay of Blood. Acclaimed as one of the first true slasher films, it inspires such films as Friday the 13th Part 2 and, even The Burning!. With Black Sunday, some say Mario Bava created the slasher genre; even though it has been Americanized so much since then. This is my choice for the deaths, for the atmospheres, for the vivid Italian color.

Ash J. Williams
10-02-2007, 03:04 AM
Intruder. Love the style, the trademark "Obscured vision" perspectives, and the Evil Dead-centric cast. It's awesome.

gyhorrorfan07
10-02-2007, 03:32 AM
Everyone so far has some good choices, but I'm gonna go with Madman. Not the best slasher in any way, but it's a good slice of 80's slasher cheese. The hot tub scene and the girl who tries to hide in the fridge from Madman Marz makes me laugh.

DrHerbertWest
10-02-2007, 03:40 AM
Friday The 13th Part IV: The Final Chapter. So many elements work for me and it's highly rewatchable. Any time I want to watch a fun, old school horror movie, this is at the top of my list. Some people may not enjoy it, but I do. Completely.

eric_angelus
10-02-2007, 04:09 AM
Halloween (1978)
Saw it in theater when I was eight...and it pretty much changed me from being a little kid who liked monster movies into a full fledged horror fan. It set the standard not just for slasher films but for horror in general in my eyes. If it was not for Halloween there would be no Jason, no Freddy, no Chucky, no Scream...and countless others.

Mazurka Macabre
10-02-2007, 04:30 AM
I guess I have to decide between Black Christmas and The Funhouse... The first is my favorite. Olivia and co. are amazing and I love Christmas themed horror. However, I watched the latter at a point in my life where it really did fundamentally scare me. Most films, both then and now, can't/don't.

Luna
10-02-2007, 04:32 AM
I have a lot of favorite slashers, but I'm going to have to go with A Nightmare On Elm Street. Consider this: It's bad enough being stalked by some shapeless boogeyman or fearing that some maniac will bust through the door and slice you up. What's even worse to me is having to face that monster in your dreams, wherever you are, in the one place you cannot avoid him... your mind, the one sacred, secret place you have. You can try to delay the inevitable, but you're basically screwed because we all have to sleep sometime.

deplop cinema
10-02-2007, 04:37 AM
Blood Lake. Because any film with a 12-year old actor spewing lines like "I got my beer, my sex partner - I'm fine!" is the greatest thing ever made.

Mortis
10-02-2007, 04:47 AM
I'll say Maniac because it's a pretty fucked up movie, has a good score and seeing Savini blow his own head off is priceless.

shithead
10-02-2007, 05:27 AM
The Prowler, Savini's best work second only to Day IMO...it's a mean little film, you get a pitchfork killing in the shower which looks incredibly realistic, a blown off head, grisly throat slashing in the pool, and a knife in the skull.

A little slow in the middle with too much wandering around in the dark, but i can let that slip.

YottNik
10-02-2007, 05:53 AM
Friday the 13th Part 2

I watched this when I was about 12 or 13 with my older brother and I will never forget the hysterical laughter when we saw Tom McBride's character roll down the hill in a wheelchair with a machete in his face. One of the all time great kills in slasher history.

To this day nothing comes close to that moment for me, sitting in my living room watching a wheelchair bound guy get his face slit open while falling backward down a hillside. That combined with my own history of camping as a kid made me the huge fan of camp slashers that I am today.

Erick H.
10-02-2007, 06:06 AM
Bob Clark's seminal BLACK CHRISTMAS.A top notch cast combined with truly creepy locations and wonderfully chilling set ups.I've seen this movie numerous times over the years and still find "Billy" to be cinemas scariest crank caller.Add to that Bob Clark (Rest In Peace,sir) was truly at the top of his game here,this film WORKS,and every shivery moment of it is the product of this underated genre crosser's talent.It says something about this films effectiveness that it was actually pulled from a scheduled network television screening ,not for violence or language,but because it was deemed "too scary".

Too scary ,indeed !

Thanks for the scares,Mr. Clark.

othervoice1
10-02-2007, 06:15 AM
Tough- I like Micheal Myers and Freddy Krueger and Jason Vorhees all about equally for different reasons- I will have to say .....Micheal Myers by a slim margin mainly due to the first Halloween- Even people that dont like horror/slasher films like Halloween- its a notch above as a movie. To compare from the standpoint as a whole series Id have to put more thought into and may come up with a different answer- but the original Halloween and Micheal Myers in that first film just cant be beat (although as far as disturbing Id put Maniac up there)

fattyjoe37
10-02-2007, 07:14 AM
Halloween is one of the first and still the best. Watching this movie on USA Network on Halloween 1999 got me into collecting movies and being a huge horror fan. I've seen it a ton of times and am still amazed that it works perfectly every time. To me it is the only PERFECT slasher film.

dwatts
10-02-2007, 07:17 AM
Halloween. It has it all - a classic soundtrack, some fine central performances, and low-budget filmmakers stretching their resources beyond breaking point to make the film they wanted. It never should have been, but it is! The sequels might have gotten...... strange, but it's kept me entertained throughout.

bwana the clown
10-02-2007, 07:42 AM
Another nostalgic vote for....

Friday The 13th Part 2

I remember watching it after coming home from school (I was probably about 10 at the time) and it scared the living shit out of me. I had to go out into the warm afternoon sunlight afterwards just to steady my nerves. It was the first slasher film I'd ever seen (why I was allowed to see this, but not Part 1 is still beyond me) and the very concept of this relentless, non-giving-up, homicidal brute man disturbed me intensely.

Of course these days it doesn't have the same effect on me, but I still consider it the best Friday, as Jason is far scarier than his mom, and he was far scarier before he got that gimmicky hockey mask.

allmessedup
10-02-2007, 08:13 AM
HALLOWEEN---I remember seeing the network premiere of it [probably in 1981 or so.] Scared the heck out of me---it's one of those movies that can be edited for television and still retain its effectiveness. Carpenter wrote the rulebook that so many have been playing by ever since.

So that would be #1, but I can also echo the support for F13 Pt. 2.

old-boo-radley
10-02-2007, 10:20 AM
Halloween, without a doubt. Although slow in parts, it encompasses the holiday and the genre so well that it doesn't even matter. The music, Loomis, Myers, the ending... it's overwhelms you with dopeness. DOPENESS.

geeare
10-02-2007, 03:03 PM
My fav. slasher is Maniac. I first saw this movie when I was quite young and it scared me soo bad that i didn't sleep for months, probably more like years. Watching it later in life i realized that this movie really is scary. The score and visuals are perfect and the performance by Zito is awesomely creepy. that is all.

daily_hum
10-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Halloween

Silent but deadly.

delirium
10-02-2007, 06:43 PM
My favorite slaher movie would be Friday the 13th, Part 7. I really just love this movie and think this is Jason in his "ultimate" form. I love all the other fridays, but this one has always struck a sweet spot for me. The way Jason looks, the story, all the killings, and the acting (even though is laughable at parts) just make it perfect for me. Every incarnation of Jason in this form, I own, whether it be toy, magazine, etc. This movie just does it for me.

spawningblue
10-02-2007, 07:11 PM
As most on here have said, Halloween. Love the atmosphere and Halloween feel, something a lot of movies these days are lacking. I also think it's impressive that it has next to no blood, but is still bad ass in every way. Also, you can't forget it has one of the most memorable and creepy scores, and great acting from all.

An honorable mention goes to a film that gets a lot of hate around here, Friday the 13th: Jason Lives. Me and my friends used to rent this movie every weekend. It's not scary or really as serious as the other movies. It's all about having a good time, and killing a whole lot of people along the way. I'm a big fan of zombie Jason, as once he became undead, the kills became a lot more creative, and just crazy. This film is just one big long rush that doesn't let up until the end.

BrianR1982
10-02-2007, 08:46 PM
I'm going to go with Friday the 13th. This film is responsible for me becoming a horror maniac. It was the first "real" horror film I ever saw. Great atmosphere, throat slashing, axe to the head, etc. Totally bitchin'.

Bobbywoodhogan
10-02-2007, 08:54 PM
My favorite slaher movie would be Friday the 13th, Part 7. I really just love this movie and think this is Jason in his "ultimate" form. I love all the other fridays, but this one has always struck a sweet spot for me. The way Jason looks, the story, all the killings, and the acting (even though is laughable at parts) just make it perfect for me. Every incarnation of Jason in this form, I own, whether it be toy, magazine, etc. This movie just does it for me.

They need to get it out uncut DAMNIT!

Johnny Macabre
10-02-2007, 09:41 PM
Mine would have to be Friday The 13th Part 2. This is the movie that introduced me to the formula of the slasher movies when I was a kid. I had watch a lot of them prior F13th2, but it's with this sequel that i started to see and appreciate the horror movie formula (as a kid).:eek1:

xdiggler
10-02-2007, 10:15 PM
This is a tough one!
So many to choose from but I think that my favority is A NIghtmare on Elm Street. The first one! So much imagination behind that one. A lot of scary images and it took the slasher into the supernatural realm as well.

rhett
10-02-2007, 11:02 PM
This contest is going great, thanks everyone! Not only are we getting the solid posts I'd expect from the usual members, but there's a lot of lurkers coming out of the woodwork to express their favorites too. Keep 'em coming!

DeathDealer
10-02-2007, 11:46 PM
Halloween, all the way.

Livingdead102
10-03-2007, 07:50 AM
I'll have to say A Nightmare on Elm Street 3. I watched that so much as a kid I scarred my older sister--she still won't watch horror movies (and she's pushing thirty by now). Even after all these years, it's still my favorite film of the series, and Freddy is still my favorite horror villain. Honorable mention goes to Friday the 13th 2, because it was the first horror movie I remember ever seeing and I was so scared I literally peed myself. (screw you, I was five when my rotten sisters somehow managed to get my mom to rent it.)

thrashard76
10-03-2007, 09:50 AM
I think ANOES 3 is my earliest introduction to the slasher genre. I remember seeing this on tv at an early age and I wouldn't sleep in my room for days. I had to sleep with my parents.

Gore Lunatic
10-03-2007, 12:34 PM
Friday The 13th Part 2 for me as well. I watched part 2 before ever watching part 1 mainly because part 1 was rented out at my local video store at the time and my Dad got tired of waiting for me to decide what I wanted to rent and said "just get that one already, it looks scary." I also had seen Halloween before so I knew what kind of horror movie to expect. At least I thought. The killings were more bloodier, gorier and more brutal than Halloween. The killer was bigger and more menacing than Michael. The chicks were hotter. I loved it. Thats Dad!

17thJuggalo
10-03-2007, 01:04 PM
Mine would have to be Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors. I had a dubbed tape of that movie on VHS when I was a kid and I watched it over and over again. I always loved the "special powers" of all the kids when they came together, not to mention that this was the start of Freddy's one-liners which I thought were great as a kid. When I saw the movie again when I was much older, I immediately said "whoa Laurence Fishburne is in this?".

Great movie and most likely my favorite of all the Nightmare films.

HellRazor
10-03-2007, 02:23 PM
My favorite slasher is Sleepaway Camp 2: Unhappy Campers - mainly because it's friggin hilarious. From the campy casting of Pamela Springsteen (the Boss' sister) as the creepily-cheery killer camp counselor, to the great death scenes such as death by outhouse, to the funny poster (with a gal carrying a sack filled with things like Jason's hockey mask and Freddy's glove) and the hilarious subtitle ("Unhappy Campers") - Sleepaway Camp 2 is a great and entertaining bit of 80's straight-to-video sleaze.

Ash28M
10-03-2007, 02:45 PM
I would have to go with the best Canadian Horror film ever made! Black Christmas. There are a bunch characters in this film and they are all interesting. The acting is way above par for a slasher especially Olivia Hussey. The scene when she screams towards the end of the film trying to get Phyll and Barb's attention from downstairs, always gives me goose bumps. Throw in a mysteriously deranged psychotic killer, some seriously creepy phone calls and masterfully done ambiguous ending. This ones a true classic.

soxfan666
10-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Mine would be Halloween. It is my favorite for more than just the obvious "its a great movie." I remember seeing it for the first time a five year old on TV 38 in Boston. It had all of the extra scenes and did not edit out the quick nipple shot of Michaels sister. Years later I was trying to secure a VHS copy but couldn't get one. My sister was able to track down a copy and gave it to me for xmas, best gift she has ever given me.

mkayers
10-03-2007, 05:15 PM
Has to be Halloween for me. I was only about 11 when I went to the theater & it haunted me for weeks afterward.

reddye5
10-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Mine would have to be the original Nightmare on Elm Street. Craven was at his best at this point combining some of the raw energy of Last House on the Left with a scary, more polished story. Freddy was scary as hell. No one-liners in this one. He was played straight and to great effect. The sound of his glove across metal in the boiler room sent shivers down my adolescent spine. As a killer, he is both a supernatural villain, at the same time as being strangley real. We all dream and there is the possibility of running into own own personal Freddy somewhere down the line. The idea that some demon like that could kill us in our sleep. Pretty imaginative stuff, and very different in terms of the general slasher storyline. Smart and freaky still after all these years NOES is my fave. I watch it at least twice a year. And in my house, there's definately "No running in the halls."

marcx
10-03-2007, 06:40 PM
The original Friday the 13th for me:

It has the mood, the gore, the music--it's just a complete package. And that jumpscare ending is one of the best of all time....

Mok
10-03-2007, 06:55 PM
PROM NIGHT and THE BURNING, because hoping it's the secret answer to the DVD contest. :banana:

Seriously though, Passion of the Christ

Ok, no really, what's that movie you directed Rhett? It was a slasher wasn't it? 'Cause if it is, it's totally my favorite, ol' buddy, ol' pal :D

Alright, alright, really serious this time...fuck, I don't know...Jason 2? :p

KamuiX
10-04-2007, 05:33 AM
As uneventful of a pick it is, Halloween for sure. It definitely created the blueprint for the genre, and shows you can make a slasher terrifying without the over-the-top gore which has become a focus of the genre since (of course, that's good times as well ;)). And of course the incredibly effective soundtrack makes this one of the few "complete packages" in the genre.

WhatTHEhell19
10-04-2007, 08:17 AM
Wow this is hard since the slasher sub-genre is my favorite. I'm going to go with A Nightmare on Elm Street. It was the first slasher I saw that made me truly fall in love with the genre (and scare me shitless since I was only 9 or 10). I've also always loved the way it blended the slasher with surrealism, the movie just felt like a nightmare captured on film to me.

Runners up include Halloween(original), Black Christmas(original), Maniac, Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street 2(yes I like the sequel, despite the gay undertones they managed to make Freddy seem more menacing and dark in this one), A Nightmare on Elm Street 3, The Funhouse, The Prowler and Sleepaway Camp.

P.S. I still haven't seen The Burning and I don't own Prom Night yet, so if you want to pick me that would be great. :D

cgm13
10-04-2007, 03:35 PM
My favorite slasher film would be the original 1974 version of "Black Christmas." I never get tired of watching it 'cause everything about it is perfect. The script, the cast, the directing. And it has one of (if not) the scariest killer in any film. I love that you never find out the killer's backstory (something that would be unheard of in today's horror movies). And that ending rocks. "Black Christmas" rocks!!!

Nightbreed
10-04-2007, 09:38 PM
I actually just watched the Burning the other night for the first time, and I really enjoyed it it's the ultimate in revenge. But would have to say my all time Favorite slasher is Nightmare on Elmstreet , I remember seeing this as a kid and not wanting to go down in the basement or any dark place for a long time Freddy's voice was etched in my mind for the longest time. I would say this has sparked my interest in the genre more than anything else

DopeChamberX
10-05-2007, 01:52 AM
As much as I love Halloween to bits, my favorite has to be Prom Night. "Let's show 'em what we can do" should be up there with "Nobody puts Baby in a corner", when it come to movie qoutes. :p

Gnaghi
10-06-2007, 05:45 AM
Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors. I used to love watching this as a kid, I just loved the ideas behind it.

gsmile66
10-06-2007, 10:19 AM
For me, it's gotta be "Friday the 13th". Sure, there are better made slashers out there, but really for me this is the one that really started the "cookie-cutter slasher" syndrome . Gotta love that useless Strip Monopoly game!

wago70
10-06-2007, 10:35 AM
My favorite slasher is FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 2. Having seen and loved the first film on Showtime in 1981, I was revved up for PART 2...but I wouldn't see it on the big screen until autumn of '81 - many months after it's original release. Incidentally, it was on a double bill with the first film just a week before Thanksgiving. What I remember most (even at 11 years old) was how much more glossier the film was, better acted, paced, ect. What really blew me away was the final show-down between killer and heroine. Ginny made all the right moves but in a believable way (lacking in horror movie females then and even today where actresses suddenly turn kung-fu saavy). I have never been on the edge of my seat as I was that afternoon watching her dodge Jason in the damp forest of Crystal Lake. From that point on, I would continue to enjoy the Friday the 13th films, but none ever matched PART 2's appeal and none of the series' heroines would ever be so cool.

rhett
10-09-2007, 01:57 AM
So my Thanksgiving is over now, and I'm back in town to announce the winners.

THE GRAND PRIZE GOES TO...

allmessedup

THE RUNNERS UP...

17thjuggalo
stl7dust
marcx
WhatTHEhell19

Winners, please send me a PM with your shipping details and I'll have your prizes sent out immediately. Runners up, please tell me your preference between THE BURNING and PROM NIGHT so I can try to get you the one you want.

I love the slashers myself, and I have to say this has been my favorite poll yet. Thanks to all for participating. If you didn't win, don't worry...look in a few hours for a new poll!

dwatts
10-09-2007, 04:05 AM
Damn, that's a good start for two newbies. Sorry regs. :D

Well done Allmessedup, 17th, and Mac too! ;)

indiephantom
10-09-2007, 04:17 AM
I'm a moron.

Luna
10-09-2007, 04:30 AM
Woohoo, congrats guys! :banana:

WhatTHEhell19
10-09-2007, 04:33 AM
Wow I'm kind of shocked I won. I come home from class to find that I can expect either The Burning or Prom Night in the mail soon. Congrats to the other winners. This calls for a celebration :banana: :banana:

thrashard76
10-09-2007, 08:29 AM
Congrats ya'll.

Hellbilly
10-09-2007, 02:27 PM
Congrats everyone! :banana:

Workshed
10-09-2007, 02:58 PM
Congrats to the winners!

17thJuggalo
10-09-2007, 03:22 PM
Damn, I can't remember the last time I won ANYTHING!

Hopefully my PM went through, Firefox and its add-ons can be a bit touchy at times. None the less, this is awesome. :banana:

spawningblue
10-09-2007, 05:45 PM
Congrats guys!

rhett
10-09-2007, 10:03 PM
I was a little rushed trying to get this finished (a day late, no less!) so I couldn't post the results along with the winners. Just for everyone's reference, here's our HORRORDVDS.COM list of favorite slashers, sorted from the most votes to the least.

Halloween (18)
A Nightmare on Elm Street (7)
Friday the 13th, Part II (7)
Friday the 13th (5)
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (4)
Black Christmas (4)
Maniac (4)
Madman (2)
Bay of Blood
Blood Lake
Friday the 13th - The Final Chapter
Friday the 13th, Part 3D
Friday the 13th, Part VII: The New Blood
Funhouse
Halloween II
House on Sorority Row
Intruder
My Bloody Valentine
Prom Night
Sleepaway Camp 2: Unhappy Campers
Slumber Party Massacre
The Prowler
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

The usual cast of characters is at the top, but it's interesting that SLEEPAWAY CAMP, SCREAM, DRESSED TO KILL, TERROR TRAIN and one of the movies up for giveaway(!) never got a single vote. Oh, and uh, FINAL EXAM was robbed too. Admit it.

spawningblue
10-09-2007, 11:44 PM
Cool. I was thinking someone should add them together and see who got the most votes. I was just too lazy haha. I've seen most of them up there but there's still a few that I need to see/ buy. Especially Madman which I keep hearing good things about, but the DVD is OOP and hard to find for a good price.

Livingdead102
10-11-2007, 02:52 PM
Congratulations to the wieners!

dwatts
10-11-2007, 03:09 PM
but the DVD is OOP and hard to find for a good price

Not really (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Madman-Gaylen-Ross/dp/B000GQMLZ0/ref=sr_1_1/026-7179396-0074015?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1192111693&sr=1-1).

spawningblue
10-12-2007, 01:24 AM
I'm looking for it in Region 1, not PAL. I have still yet to convert over to other regions.