PDA

View Full Version : Pan's Labyrinth Coming to Both Blu-ray & HD-DVD 12/6

X-human
10-04-2007, 11:57 PM
A sweet surprise Christmas gift from New Line, I didn't expect it to come out this season:Disc Features:
• Video prologue by writer / director Guillermo del Toro
• Audio commentary from director Guillermo del Toro
• Marketing Campaign
• Featurettes: ”The Power of Myth," "Pan and The Fairies (El Fauno y Las Hadas)”
• "The Charlie Rose Show" excerpt featuring filmmakers Del Toro, Alfonso Cuaron and Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu
• DVD Comics: Animated plates present prequel stories for The Giant Toad, The Fairies, Pan and The Pale Man
• Director’s Notebook: Interactive menu pages access video pods that feature exclusive interviews with Del Toro – Lost Character: El Hombre de Madera; Torture of The Maquis; The Phases of the Moon; Iconography: Echo…Echo…; The Underground Kingdom: Miniature Construction; The Mill: Set Design
• Multi-Angle Storyboard / Thumbnail Compares
• VFX Plate Compare: Guillermo del Toro and The Green Fairy
• Still Galleries: "Production Design," "DDT Creature Design," "Production Scrapbook"

HD Exclusive Content:
• Enhanced Visual Commentary: Exclusive high definition feature takes you behind the scenes while viewing the film http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/New_Line/Disc_Annoucements/New_Line_Brings_Pans_Labyrinth_to_Blu-ray,_HD_DVD/1039

drown021
10-05-2007, 01:05 AM
Thats cool,I didnt really like the movie to much but still want the blu-ray edition.I never figured out why they don't release the BR or HD at the same time as the dvd release.
My wife and sister in law both liked the movie, so maybe I just need a second viewing.

Nemesis
10-05-2007, 04:21 AM
probably for the same reason they dont release the dvd the same time as the theatrical release.. because they want to milk every phase of the release calendar as much as possible

Reverenddave
10-05-2007, 06:00 AM
New Line just got into the HD game. They announced their first HD release about 2-3 weeks ago.

I'm glad to see that they're releasing in both formats. New Line's other two announcements (Hairspray & Rush Hour 3) will get the Blu-Ray on the same day as the DVD, with the HD-DVD coming a few months later due to international release dates and no region coding on the HD-DVD. This led some people to suggest that perhaps New Line wasn't too serious about HD-DVD and might go BR exclusive. But I'm happy that they're sticking neutral.

X-human
10-05-2007, 06:39 PM
I don't think New Line would go Blu-ray exclusive any time soon. I expect this holiday season will end with Blu-ray ahead but still not far enough ahead to be conclusive. The only possible thing I think might happen is Universal going neutral. It's actually easier for Universal to go neutral now that Paramount's committed to HD-DVD, less pressure to hold up HD-DVD. But a few studios going one way or another won't make or break this. (unless a format loses all exclusives)

I think it's going to be retailers who really make the final decision. They're going to decide pretty soon that there's just not room enough on their store shelves for both, and they'll pick one to stock. It's a tough cut throat market. It's surprising they allowed two to go on this long, talk about a waste of shelf space.

HoldenMcNeil
10-05-2007, 07:27 PM
I think its awesome that New Line went format neutral, just shows that a studio can put a film on both formats, not taking offers to go to one side. I don't own a blu-ray or an hd-dvd player, and frankly I'll wait until there is a definite winner. I would love to see the Lord of the Rings in 1080p, or any of the Nightmare on elm street films. The only thing thats upsetting is Anchor Bay/Starz going blu-ray only, but still the news that New Line is going both formats is really nice.