PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Twisted Terror?

rhett
10-05-2007, 06:53 AM
Warner Brother's new TWISTED TERROR collection has a lot of forgotten films from masters like John Carpenter, Wes Craven and Oliver Stone. Which one is your favorite?

sundownrider
10-05-2007, 07:16 AM
The box set sucks to be honest. You get 2 really good films and a bunch of fillers. I was pretty excited when I heard this was coming out. After viewing the films can't say I understand why I got excited at all. I just was not familiar with any of the flicks. I also didn't pay that much for the set so it's no big loss.

Matt89
10-05-2007, 07:45 AM
I wouldn't say it "sucks". I give Warner kudos for releasing these films, all of which were rare and extremely hard to find before this. Not to mention Deadly Friend and Eyes of a Stranger are completely uncut. That was pretty nice to see. My only complaint: The fact that there are no chapter menus (which is strange as hell) and the fact there wasn't even a TRAILER for Eyes of a Stranger. All in all though, I'm quite happy with the release.

Haven't seen any of the films and haven't watched any yet (it came today), so I'll vote when I've watched them all. (Which will probably not be until Christmas lol. Being a university student, it seriously cuts into your movie-watching time. I hardly watch any films anymore.)

~Matt

sundownrider
10-05-2007, 08:06 AM
I wouldn't say it "sucks".
Haven't seen any of the films and haven't watched any yet
I hardly watch any films anymore.)

~Matt

WHAT? :hum:

I myself did watch all 6 films and they were a huge let down.

Only ones that were okay were the 2 you mention the rest were blaaaargh.

KamuiX
10-05-2007, 08:16 AM
Will vote later...so far I've only watched Eyes of a Stranger, which was decent enough. I've seen Dr. Giggles and Deadly Friend in the past, and can't stand either...would have just bought the 4 I hadn't seen if the boxset wasn't cheaper than buying them individually. As for the others, interested in seeing the early Stone and Carpenter films, and From Beyond the Grave should be the usual Amicus fun.

Matt89
10-05-2007, 08:44 AM
WHAT? :hum:

I myself did watch all 6 films and they were a huge let down.

Only ones that were okay were the 2 you mention the rest were blaaaargh.

What I meant was (which I made quite clear in my post), is that it is a great set because Warner released a slew of films that have long-awaited a DVD release. And, well you didn't like the set because ok...you didn't LIKE the films. Warner can't help the fact you didn't like the films they put in the boxed set. The set doesn't SUCK. You just didn't like the movies. For example, Fox released a great Star Wars trilogy, and say you didn't like the films...that doesn't mean the boxset sucks. You just didn't like the movies. It was GREAT of Warner to release a set of films that have been literally unavailable anywhere for years. For those who do happen to like these movies, this is a GREAT set.

~Matt

sundownrider
10-05-2007, 08:59 AM
What I meant was (which I made quite clear in my post), is that it is a great set because Warner released a slew of films that have long-awaited a DVD release. And, well you didn't like the set because ok...you didn't LIKE the films. Warner can't help the fact you didn't like the films they put in the boxed set. The set doesn't SUCK. You just didn't like the movies. For example, Fox released a great Star Wars trilogy, and say you didn't like the films...that doesn't mean the boxset sucks. You just didn't like the movies. It was GREAT of Warner to release a set of films that have been literally unavailable anywhere for years. For those who do happen to like these movies, this is a GREAT set.

~Matt

I would never call something I haven't seen great. Only thing that is great is the great laugh you provided for me. I also mean that in good faith. Not in the OW MY GAWD you freggin BIT%HH#&^!!!!

RARE doesn't always equal GREAT. ;)

onebyone
10-05-2007, 09:11 AM
RARE doesn't always equal GREAT. ;)

But in this case, it certainly does. I still cannot believe they finally gave us all these fantastic flicks.

This set rocks the casbah and beyond.

I voted for Deadly Friend, but I love them all.

Matt89
10-05-2007, 09:23 AM
I would never call something I haven't seen great.

Again....that's not what I'm TALKING about. I was talking about the boxsed as a whole, how it was great of Warner to finally make available a set of films that were virtually UNAVAILABLE before. I'm not talking about the quality of the films in the set, because of course I've not seen any of them. I really don't care that you think the set sucks, but what's getting on my nerves is the fact that you're still completely missing my point LOL.

~Matt

sundownrider
10-05-2007, 10:02 AM
But in this case, it certainly does. I still cannot believe they finally gave us all these fantastic flicks.

This set rocks the casbah and beyond.

I voted for Deadly Friend, but I love them all.

I've always preferred the floor.

Yeah the films were rare prior to this release. I would never say these films are like flicking tittlation (aka rockking the casbah). More like time killers if you bored. I didn't pay that much money for them. Also what do you mean by "I've always preferred the floor." I would like some more insight please. :rolleyes: ........yes I'm joking........

Yes MATT I did "GET" what you were saying.

I wonder if there will be a Volume 2 box set?
STRANGER ON THE THIRD FLOOR
MURDER BY PHONE
PHANTOM OF CRESTWOOD
THE BEST WITH FIVE FINGERS
NIGHT SCHOOL
THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY

I'm pretty sure it will be GREAT!!!!

onebyone
10-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Also what do you mean by "I've always preferred the floor." I would like some more insight please. :rolleyes: ........yes I'm joking........

Why would that be funny? It is Hellraiser, the movie, said by Julia to set up the scene in my icon? Nothing to do with these movies at all. :hum:

sundownrider
10-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Why would that be funny? It is Hellraiser, the movie, said by Julia pretty soon before my icon takes place? Nothing to do with these movies at all. :hum:

Hellraiser rocks my casbah, GREAT movie!!!! Thank you for sharing like I said I was just curious. :eek2: Still learning how to use this interface.

Anybody else wonder why this box set did not get a BR or HD release???????

DVD-fanatic-9
10-05-2007, 12:30 PM
Deadly Friend. There's just... something about it.

HoldenMcNeil
10-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Dr.Giggles was the only one I picked up just because Wal-Mart had it cheap, and wasn't really interested in the others. Hey at least this box set seems better than those cheap ones that have 20 free domain movies.

spawningblue
10-05-2007, 05:18 PM
I haven't seen any of the movies in the set. I plan on picking it up when I get some extra cash. But it seems like it is a pretty good set, as every movie has a fair amount of votes.

HAEMORRHAGE
10-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Went with Giggles. Watched it last night. I love that movie. Given, I haven't seen any of the others, but Dr. Giggles is so great.

satans-sadists
10-05-2007, 05:33 PM
From Beyond the Grave is my favorite. I love the Amicus anthologies, plus this film also has Peter Cushing and Donald Pleasence.

bigdaddyhorse
10-05-2007, 07:20 PM
Havne't got around to watching The Hand or Someone's Watching Me yet. I've seen Dr. Giggles but will give this WS disc one last chance, I've just never been able to get into that flick despite it having everything I enjoy in others, like cheese and Larry Drake.
So far I'm leaning towards Deadly Friend as it's pure 80's cheese gold, although Eyes of a Stranger was a blast as well. I'll hold my vote in fairness to the 3 flicks that need watching, but I'm already very happy I bought this box.

DrHerbertWest
10-05-2007, 07:21 PM
The only one I've seen previously was Dr. Giggles and that was a fun movie. I'm really curious to check out From Beyond The Grave, Eyes Of a Stranger & Deadly Friend. I'll probably throw this set on my Xmas Wishlist or something so I can finally watch all of them.

fceurich39
10-06-2007, 01:16 AM
like em all but my favorite is dr giggles easily

indiephantom
10-06-2007, 06:13 AM
Updating as I get through the collection.

1. EYES OF A STRANGER-So impressed with this film. The performances are first-rate (I'm a huge Jennifer Jason Leigh mark) and those Savini effects are cool shit. Can't believe I'd never heard of this one.

2. THE HAND-Finally watched this for the first time. I love it. The atmosphere, the pace and the performances are terrific. What a pleasant surprise and a beautiful transfer.

3. DEADLY FRIEND-I saw it during its theatrical run. I always felt it was pretty cheesy, but in a good way. Wish the DVD had the original poster art. (which is always better, isn't it?)

4. DR. GIGGLES-Much better than I remembered, but I don't think this film will be in the top 3 when I finish seeing the others.

Erick H.
10-06-2007, 06:31 AM
I've always had a fondness for EYES OF A STRANGER,I felt it had a deeper plot than most of that eras slasher films,plus Ken (SHOCK WAVES) Weiderhorn created some nice set pieces.FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE was a solid second,nostalgic fun.
I would have loved to have seen THE NESTING included in this set,a solid (and seldom seen) horror film gathering dust in the Warner vaults.

HoldenMcNeil
10-06-2007, 02:37 PM
Watched Dr.Giggles last night for the first time in 12 years and wow it still holds up today. Some of those deaths are really creative and brutal even in this day and age of horror films. well worth the 10$ I spent at Wal-Mart.

indiephantom
10-08-2007, 06:12 AM
Just watched EYES OF A STRANGER. I was blown away. The makeup effects were great and I didn't realize it was Savini until the credits (had a feeling though...). I agree this is a vastly overlooked slasher. Love these films where we know the killer from the get-go.

Rockmjd
10-08-2007, 06:50 AM
I read somewhere that Dr. Giggles isn't in the OAR of 2.35:1....is that true?

Katatonia
10-08-2007, 07:04 AM
I read somewhere that Dr. Giggles isn't in the OAR of 2.35:1....is that true?

See the other thread: http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=34292

Rockmjd
10-08-2007, 07:17 AM
oops, must have missed that thread :lol:

dave13
01-16-2012, 02:52 AM
Can't vote anymore, i see. if i could, my vote would be for From Beyond the Grave. That 70's British atmosphere is great, as are David Warner, Peter Cushing, and Donald Pleasance. I love the amicus anthology films. The others were all interesting for one thing or another, all worthwhile films.