PDA

View Full Version : FOX BluRay Playback Problems

Reverenddave
10-06-2007, 05:07 AM
Just a heads up. Some of the new Fox BR are having playback issues. Apparently it's an issue with the new BD+ encrypted discs. It seems to affect the Samsung and LG players with either very long load times or not playing at all. I haven't seen any reports of problems on the PS3 yet.

So far the problems are only reported on Fantastic Four: Rise Of The Silver Surfer and The Day After Tomorrow. But there are a bunch of new Fox BR coming out in the next few weeks. And I wouldn't be surprised if those discs have the same problems.

Playback Problems Reported On Blu-ray Discs (http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/1035)
Fox Speaks Out On Blu-ray Playback Problems (http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Fox/Technical_Glitches/Fox_Speaks_Out_on_Silver_Surfer,_Day_After_Tomorro w_Blu-ray_Playback_Problems/1042)

Here's a list of the upcoming Fox BR releases:

The Day After Tomorrow (Fox)
Fantastic Four: The Rise of the Silver Surfer (Fox)
28 Days Later (Fox)
28 Weeks Later (Fox)
Edward Scissorhands (Fox)
The Fly (1986) (Fox)
From Hell (Fox)
The Hills Have Eyes 2 (2007) (Fox)
Home of the Brave (Fox)
I, Robot (Fox)
Prison Break: Season One (Fox)
Die Hard (Fox)
Die Hard 2: Die Harder (Fox)
Die Hard 3: Die Hard with a Vengeance (Fox)
The Die Hard Collection (Fox)
Live Free or Die Hard (Fox)
Pathfinder (Fox)
Cast Away (Fox)
Independence Day (Fox)
Mr. & Mrs. Smith (Fox)
The Simpsons Movie (Fox)

X-human
10-06-2007, 05:51 AM
Did you even read the article you linked to? Because in the second link according to Fox it's not a problem with BD+, it's a problem with BD-J. Here's the most important information, when it'll be fixed:Calls placed to both Samsung and LG customer support revealed that both manufacturers are working on firmware updates to correct the problem. Samsung promised a firmware update within "a couple weeks," while LG said an update is expected in 2-3 days.Kudos LG. What the hell Samsung? It's probably just lazy programming on Fox's end, but still what the hell Samsung?

Reverenddave
10-06-2007, 06:47 AM
Did you even read the article you linked to? Because in the second link according to Fox it's not a problem with BD+, it's a problem with BD-J.

I did read the article. Here's what it says:

"As we first reported yesterday, the new BD+ encrypted discs are apparently incompatible with two Blu-ray players (the Samsung BD-1200 and LG's BH100), while delayed load times of up to two minutes have been reported on other players."

X-human
10-06-2007, 10:18 PM
They got the information from Video Business (http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6487225.html?desc=topstory) who says the official reason has not been given but indicated Java. All word play. DigitalBits said:What we're hearing from our sources is that the problem is related to compatibility issues with the new BD-Java features on the discs, not to BD+ (as is rumored online).

Not that it really matters, either way it's a problem that needs to be dealt with and swiftly.

dwatts
10-06-2007, 11:53 PM
Well, if Blu-Ray's specs had ben finalised before they started making machines, they could have avoided some of this mess. :rolleyes:

X-human
10-07-2007, 01:52 AM
Well, if Blu-Ray's specs had ben finalised before they started making machines, they could have avoided some of this mess. :rolleyes:

True, although if both formats had been able to work out a compromised hybrid of the two we could have avoided this ENTIRE mess. HD-DVD has required their fair share of firmware updates to get movies to play, Children of Men being the best example. Won't be the last time for either format I'm sure.

As time goes by more and more electronics are going to require firmware updates. In twenty years you'll probably be doing firmware updates for your new toaster.

dwatts
10-07-2007, 11:43 AM
Definately, it's one of the ways they will update encryption methods in an attempt to stay ahead of the people who pirate discs. Whcih is why some studios like Blu-Ray over HD - better and more easily updatable encryption.

What they want is for yo to connect the thing to the net.

KR~!
10-07-2007, 04:13 PM
TV Sets now require Firmware updates!

DVD Players have as well for years (anyone remember the update your firmware and make it region free?).

dwatts
10-07-2007, 04:16 PM
I actually f*cked up a player with a firmward update (DVD). The last three players I've bought were made region free from the remote - so no new firmware needed.

Mind you, I was doing firmware updates on PC's fifteen years ago.........

Nemesis
10-07-2007, 11:32 PM
my dvd player was mod chipped to be region free (bought it back in early 99 when 99% of players were region locked, mod chipping was the only option).. i wonder if blu-ray players can be mod chipped to be region free? but then i guess that would fuck up when they do these firmware updates etc..

X-human
10-07-2007, 11:45 PM
What they want is for yo to connect the thing to the net.

Universal's HD-DVD of Evan Almighty will include a web store (http://www.homemediaretailing.com/news/html/breaking_article.cfm?sec_id=2&&article_ID=11301), so that if you see a pair of sneakers you like in the movie you can order it right away while you watch. :rolleyes: There's that interactivity everyone was scrambling for.

I know in theory you could, but I've never heard of a DVD player really needing a firmware update. Most region software hacks that I know of are just service tools.

dwatts
10-07-2007, 11:54 PM
My old Harmon Kardon had a formware update to turn off Macrovision and whatnot.

As for the sneakers thing - urgh. Although watching an Giallo and being able to click a button to get a bottle of J&B delivered might be a hoot.

Reverenddave
10-11-2007, 01:22 AM
It looks like Samsung has released a firmware update to correct the problems:

Although it wasn't available for download on the Samsung site at press time (and the company's customer service reps don't currently seem to be aware of it), the new firmware update is available via the deck's ethernet connection. (For instructions on how to set up the BDP-1200 for ethernet download, see Page 45 of the player's manual.)

Samsung Firmware Update Corrects Playback Issues... (http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Firmware_Upgrades_(18_posts)/Samsung/Technical_Glitches/Samsung_Firmware_Update_Corrects_Playback_Issues_o n_New_Fox_Titles/1056)

Reverenddave
10-11-2007, 01:27 AM
Here's more info on the Samsung firmware:

This just in from Samsung:

Starting on Friday, 10/12/07, the firmware update will be available on www.samsung.com for users to download, burn to disc, and load into the player. Owners of the BD-P1200 will have the option to do the update via the player´s Ethernet connection. This firmware update will resolve freezing issues experienced when viewing Fox titles and their BD+ features. Details are as follows:

BD-P1000 Firmware Update
This firmware update provides the following benefits:
·Enhanced Blu-ray movie title playability regarding BD+

BD-P1200 Firmware Update
The firmware update provides the following benefits:
·Improves playback compatibility in some movies
·Enhanced Blu-ray movie title playability regarding BD+
·Enhanced performance of in-movie games
·Fixing audio noise in some movies

No word, as yet, from LG.

The Latest on Blu-ray Silver Surfer "Issues" (http://www.dvdtown.com/news/the-latest-on-blu-ray--silver-surfer-issues/4805)

Reverenddave
10-20-2007, 01:48 AM
It looks like Spider-Man 3 is having problems on many BluRay players.

Spider-man 3 on Blu-ray is one of the Holiday season’s most highly anticipated releases on the 1080p high definition Blu-ray format but early adopters may have problems playing the disc in many of today’s Blu-ray players.

Using a review copy of "Spider-man 3" on Blu-ray on local tests at AVRev.com, the disc struggled to play in the brand new Samsung BD-P1400. After an excruciatingly long load-up time, the disc starts to freeze and skip from the very start. Audio dropping out, picture stuttering, you name it. Compared to the mainstream consumer’s expectation for DVD playback, most couldn’t make it to the actual film.

According to various reports, other players including units from Sony, Pioneer and other stand-alone Blu-ray players are reportedly having issues with the blockbuster and feature laden HD release.

Playstation 3 does come to the rescue. The game machine plays the disc like a champ. Although one of the first Blu-ray players on the market, the Sony Playstation 3 is without question the most reliable Blu-ray player on the market. While a game machine isn’t suited for many home theater applications, the lack of format incompatibilities paired with a low entry price makes the Playstation 3 the way many enthusiasts test the waters in a ferocious HD disc format war.

http://www.avrevforum.com/showthread.php?t=906

X-human
10-20-2007, 10:12 PM
^ Since there's a week of advanced notice hopefully Samsung will have it taken care of this before street date or soon after. Ironically older Samsung players seem to play it just fine.

Unfortunately HD-DVD can't squeeze by these past weeks either without some headaches as Transformers, Evan Almighty and Knocked-Up are causing problems on the 360 HD-DVD add-on: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=923790

My favorite quote:From what I've seen though, reinstalling the HD player, clearing the memory, and the extreme of boiling the discs seem to remedy most problems before going to the store to replace the discs.

Apparently HD-DVD owners still need to keep a pot of boiling water on hand whenever they try a new disc. Is it better than waiting for firmware updates?