PDA

View Full Version : October LASERDISC watching. Try for 31 this month!

wago70
10-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Go for 31 LD films. Log 'em here!

Paff
10-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Sounds great, but I won't be watching 31 movies in ANY form this month. Not with my film festival starting this Thursday.

Still, we're on the same wavelength, as I realized I hadn't gone 12" in a couple of weeks, so I watched Tie Me Up Tie Me Down on Sunday night.

ekent
10-09-2007, 09:55 PM
I just ordered Scream DTS off of eBay so I will at least watch one this month ;)

I'll try and mix another couple in.

wago70
10-10-2007, 09:49 AM
1. Horrors of the Black Museum - Roan Group.
2. The Headless Ghost - Roan Group.
3. Nightmare - Universal/Hammer

I've had these LD's since they first came out (the '90's!!!) and I am FINALLY watching them. Great transfers, by the way. I've realized I still have a hefty collection of ignored goodies to watch.
My DVD viewing will be reduced this month. I'm saving money for a trip to Europe this Christmas and next summer so I'll be home a lot with no social life, LOL> Fun shhhhtuff!!!!

Sam
10-11-2007, 02:05 AM
I'll be lucky to watch more than 4 or 5 LDs this month. No game plan yet.. so I'll probably throw in a few random ones that I haven't seen in ages, like PHANTOM OF THE MALL, EVIL CLUTCH, and GIRLFRIEND FROM HELL.

Agent Z
10-11-2007, 08:32 AM
Oct. 10th

http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/images/Covers/SUSPIRIA_laser.jpg

wago70
10-12-2007, 05:59 AM
October 11: the Roan LD release of NIGHT TIDE. Terrific flick. I've had this LD for about 5 years and this is the first time I watched it. Loved it. Fits well with "Carnival of Souls" for some odd reason.
Disc came with a repro ad sheet as well. I miss the Roan disc days :(

wago70
10-12-2007, 10:14 AM
October 11/12: The Roan LD release of TARGET EARTH. Entertaining, lively flick. Would play well with "Panic in the Year 2000" and "Day the World Ended". Picture quality is good and the extras are a producer commentary, trailer and still gallery (which, thankfully, plays itself start to finish :) ). I enjoyed the disc so much I watched once without and with the audio commentary. Comes with press sheet reproduction :). Nice release.

ekent
10-14-2007, 06:25 PM
1. THE BABYSITTER

A decent made for TV horror/thriller featuring the talented acting skills of one William Shatner. It is a slow build up but worth the wait because it gets a little more disturbing than I had expected.

Fistfuck
10-15-2007, 03:40 AM
Paff watched 31 laserdiscs..... THIS MORNING.

wago70
10-15-2007, 05:22 AM
#6:
Settling down to watch MGM/UA's laserdisc of THEATER OF BLOOD. Nothing gets me in the Halloween/Autumn mood more than a Vincent Price flick. :)

Update: I'd forgotten how good this disc looks. Back in its original release, Widescreen Review said the colors were ugly. I thought they were hip to the earth tones of the early '70's but whatever. I think it comes close to DVD quality...or I have some great wires because this transfer was fine.

wago70
10-17-2007, 05:52 PM
October 16th:
#7.
LEGEND OF THE SEVEN GOLDEN VAMPIRES. Roan LD. Beautiful gatefold cover! I don't have the DVD to compare picture quality, but it looked very nice to me! I've had this LD set since its original release and this is the first time I've seen the film. I didn't think the two genres would work at all together, but I was wrong. Fun shtuff!!!
THEATER OF BLOOD I couldn't resist watching it AGAIN.

Paff
10-17-2007, 06:33 PM
October 16th:
#7.
LEGEND OF THE SEVEN GOLDEN VAMPIRES. Roan LD. Beautiful gatefold cover! I don't have the DVD to compare picture quality, but it looked very nice to me! I've had this LD set since its original release and this is the first time I've seen the film. I didn't think the two genres would work at all together, but I was wrong. Fun shtuff!!!

Wow, what a coincedence. At my film festival this past weekend, the discussion of merging horror and kung-fu came up. Our on-site DVD seller talked about Golden Vampires, but how the DVD was OOP and very hard-to-find. I of course mentioned my laserdisc copy, and a bunch of us are planning to watch it as soon as the festival is over.

Still stuck on one LD watched, but hey, I was at our festival for sometimes more than 18 hours a day over the weekend. Things slow down after tomorrow, and I do plan on firing up the 704. I've been in a mood for watching The Funhouse again, so that should get spun sometime this weekend.

wago70
10-17-2007, 07:50 PM
Great! The Funhouse LD is nice. I like the sound better and the trailer is in much better condition than the DVD! It's in 1.85 letter box, even!
It's quite nice to have those extra heavy covers from the Roan releases. They're so glossy and stiff. I'd bought an arm full of those when a local LD dealer was going out of business at 75% off. :) I have a few more to go. The press repros are a nice touch on some of the releases, also.
I've not listened the Peter Cushing interview yet on "Vampires"

Paff
10-17-2007, 08:01 PM
I've not listened the Peter Cushing interview yet on "Vampires"

It's not an interview, it's him reading the story of The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires.

I'll get a few more LDs in before the end of the month, although it won't come anywhere near 31. I've got The Funhouse, The Haunting, Night of the Living Dead, and The Blair Witch Project on my to-view list, and they're all on LD for me.

wago70
10-18-2007, 06:02 PM
SEVEN BROTHERS MEET DRACULA - this feature cuts to the action right away. I have a feeling this was made for the grindhouses. Call it the "Bud Light" version. Still it's good and looked quite nice, as well.

wago70
10-19-2007, 07:29 AM
I guess I did the right thing by watching ...7 GOLDEN... before SEVEN BROTHERS.... The re-edited film is pretty weak...as if edited for a - hell, I don't know. The original film is much more coherent.

#9:
QUATERMASS II - Roan Laserdisc. The intro to the film had this very "public domain" look as in "this is poor quality stuff". Then BAM! The sharp credits took over and from there the picture quality was nice and clear. B/W films can look wonderful on laserdisc, and this film is no exception. Nice transfer! It has taken me 8 years to finally open this up and watch it. 8 years!!! I just didn't realize this film would encompass all that I loved about other Nigel Kneale scripts. There were, unexpectedly, monsters at the finale also. I had fun watching this one. It's not a boneheaded drive-in flick, that's for sure. It's as intriguing and interesting as one would hope to expect of a Quatermass story. Highly recommended.

wago70
10-19-2007, 09:17 AM
#10:
X THE UNKNOWN-Roan Hammer Collection. Wonderful flick that turned out to be a perfect co-feature with Quatermass II. B/W film looked wonderful - the transfer was first-rate. Recommended!

Paff
10-20-2007, 09:42 PM
#2: The Funhouse.

Someday I should get this on DVD, as the LD transfer is ass. I'll still keep the laser for that trailer though...

wago70
10-21-2007, 09:51 AM
#2: The Funhouse.

Someday I should get this on DVD, as the LD transfer is ass. I'll still keep the laser for that trailer though...

The blacks are pale and the reds bleed (!) - you're right, it deserved better. The DVD trailer is ass. Keep the LD for that Trailer!

wago70
10-21-2007, 10:02 AM
#11.
MONSTER ON THE CAMPUS - full frame, looked mighty fine and pretty entertaining. This is part of a Universal box set Golden Age of Sci-Fi Thrillers II. I have the DVD of this, but I have yet watch it. This is the stuff of late-night TV so that's when I watched it. :)!

#12.
THE LEECH WOMAN also part of the LD boxset mentioned above. I actually saw parts of this on Creature Features (Bay Area Version with Bob Wilkins) back when I was a wee lad. Other than the opening titles, the film bored me then (I was so Godzilla mad, these B/W films were a hard sell for me to sit through). First of all, the transfer is first-rate and the sound is very clear. I enjoyed this horror/drama.
Yes, I have had this set since '98 and this is the first time I sat down to watch LEECH WOMAN.

Egg_Shen
10-21-2007, 05:38 PM
I haven’t watched too many horror titles really. I got some concert stuff of Neil Young (Solo Trans, which is pretty rare, and Weld), and the directors cut of Texasville. I did get Phase IV on disc and it was my first time watching it. Amazing little film. I have no idea how Saul Bass was able to achieve what he did in that one. Especially the “ant memorial”. Very groovy.

Paff
10-22-2007, 08:37 AM
3. The Untold Story.

Damn that's a nasty film. Decent LD too, with a few of the darker scenes that are a little murky. Everything else looks pretty good. Still a hard movie to sit through though.

wago70
10-22-2007, 05:45 PM
#13:
MONSTER THAT CHALLENGED THE WORLD - I watch this often but since I had the MGM sci-fi boxset out, I let it play. I don't have the DVD yet, so I'm not sure if the feature has been cleaned up. The transfer is great as is the sound. Minor flecks in the print used but overall - woth keeping (I've sold most of my classic flicks in '05 and '06). Fun flick - although I wonder why they didn't edit out the sounds of the mechanics operating the big monster?
I've been visiting Joe Dante's site called "Trailersfromhell.com" so I've been on the classic-flick-kick although I don't have many on LD left to watch :(

Sam
10-23-2007, 02:45 AM
13 -- wow! I've still yet to watch a LD this month. :( Soon...

wago70
10-23-2007, 06:00 AM
#14:
IT! THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE
Not my first choice, but I've had this boxset out (MGM) and decided to play it out (sans Red Planet Mars). Surprisingly not as clear as the others on this set :( The image is smooth, overall, but some scenes are nice and sharp while others (mostly effects shots) are slightly grainier. Still very good, though. I'm curious to see how the DVD looks.
The movie itself: GANGBUSTERS! Love every second of it.

wago70
10-23-2007, 06:02 AM
13 -- wow! I've still yet to watch a LD this month. :( Soon...

My DVD viewing is much lower. Perhaps 2 a week lately. It's a nice change, however. Plus - I've saved so much money by staying home!

wago70
10-23-2007, 07:45 AM
#15:
BARON BLOOD
Terrific Elite LD (they were the sh*t back in the day!). I've always thought the LD looked better and less grainy than the DVD. The sound is also clearer (no need to turn up the volume to hear dialogue as I had to when watching the DVD). Overall, fine. I got rid of my DVD a few months ago. My new set from Anchor Bay is coming in the mail any day now. I watched this LD for that late-night "Creature Features" feeling but also in anticipation for the newer DVD version. I'm sure it'll be clearer, but for now, this LD trumps the Image DVD in many ways.
Great film, too. Thanks, Elite!

Paff
10-24-2007, 03:32 AM
Kinda trapped in by the fires in SoCal. My area is safe, but everything else is shut down, including my job. Keeping the doors and windows shut. Nothing to do but watch movies.

4. Poltergeist

I was really impressed by the transfer here. It's a bit over-saturated and too rich, but still pretty good. Especially since it's a fairly old disc (1991), before re-mastering, Dolby Digital, and all that became common. Also, after having watched a Tobe Hooper film the other night, I can totally see that it's more Spielberg than Hooper. Whatever scenes Hooper did direct, he was a total puppet of Spielberg.

wago70
10-24-2007, 05:19 AM
Kinda trapped in by the fires in SoCal. My area is safe, but everything else is shut down, including my job. Keeping the doors and windows shut. Nothing to do but watch movies.

4. Poltergeist

I was really impressed by the transfer here. It's a bit over-saturated and too rich, but still pretty good. Especially since it's a fairly old disc (1991), before re-mastering, Dolby Digital, and all that became common. Also, after having watched a Tobe Hooper film the other night, I can totally see that it's more Spielberg than Hooper. Whatever scenes Hooper did direct, he was a total puppet of Spielberg.

Stay safe!
The only thing truly "Hooper-ian" about POLTERGEIST are all the screaming sequences, LOL. Seriously - the pool sequence is true Hooper as is the crazed finale. All his prior films ended with screaming, running, screaming, pipers piping, maids-a-milking and so on. I really miss his everything-but-the-kitchen sink finales. :)

Paff
10-24-2007, 05:47 AM
I got a "Hooper" feeling when the Freelings are asking their neighbors if there have been any disturbances, as they're fending off mosquitoes. Reminded me a little of TCM as that guy goes back and forth washing the windows on the van.

Paff
10-24-2007, 11:47 PM
Stay safe!

Thanks. I think the worst has passed, but it's still friggin hot (90+) and windy, which does not help matters any.

To keep it in a horror movie perspective, right now the town of Julian is being threatened. Part of Phantasm was filmed there. The scene where Michael walks down the street and sees the Tall Man in front of Reggie's Ice Cream, that's Julian CA, just outside of San Diego. On full frame versions, you can even see him walk by the "Julian General Store". That's matted out on widescreen versions though.

wago70
10-25-2007, 05:20 AM
#16:
HALLOWEEN - wonderful Criterion CAV set. The transfer is fine and very smooth/film-like. Great extras and fun text to read about the making of the film. The transfer holds up nicely (on a CRT tv screen, monster cables and upper end Pioneer player, that is). This movie goes by way too fast. I never get tired of seeing it.

Vlachio
10-25-2007, 05:41 AM
#16:
HALLOWEEN - wonderful Criterion CAV set. The transfer is fine and very smooth/film-like. Great extras and fun text to read about the making of the film. The transfer holds up nicely (on a CRT tv screen, monster cables and upper end Pioneer player, that is). This movie goes by way too fast. I never get tired of seeing it.

Dam Wago where do you buy your LD's? Don't say Amoeba they suck! LOL :lol:

ekent
10-25-2007, 04:37 PM
2. Scream - Director's Cut (DTS)
This film is only 11 years old but for some reason, it is the most dated slasher of all time. It still holds up though, and the DTS track was very nice. Certain noises such as phone calls and school bells almost had me out of my seat. At one point, the doorbell rang and I had to check myself from going to answer my own door. Although the Director's Cut only sports an extra 60 seconds or so, they really matter. I found the approach shot of Drew hanging much more effective in this version. Sadly, this is likely my last LD of the month, unless I drag out one of my many Dawn of the Dead LDs.

wago70
10-25-2007, 05:18 PM
Dam Wago where do you buy your LD's? Don't say Amoeba they suck! LOL :lol:

Tell me! I've had them since they were originally released. I bought most of the horror titles that came out in letterbox or special edition. In some cases, I bought DOUBLES thinking no other format would come along to replace them :fire: and in case we had a big earthquake or fire. I had to sell 75% of my collection last year and believe it or not, almost broke even in what I spent on them.:eek:
I got this Criterion HALLOWEEN for $10 at Rasputin a few years ago. I looked at it and opened it and it was so minty and the spine was stiff that it was a sure buy. I'm glad I did. :D
I have but a minor collection now of essentials. I only kick myself for getting rid of my Elite Texas Chainsaw Massacre. :fire: and my Cannibal Ferox with the record:fire: .

wago70
10-25-2007, 05:34 PM
#17.
HELLRAISER - Lumivision Box set. Noisy neighbors made for a sleepless night so I spent it watching this film which I've not seen in years. I remember buying this box set at Tower for $60 (on sale!). Beautiful gatefold cover with inner liner notes by Clive Barker, a book of the screenplay and a really cool outer box that's quite durable.
The film is amazing. However, I saw this the day it opened in 1987 and I was rather tricked by the marketing. I was expecting a Freddy type of killer and the trailers didn't give away the fact that HUMANS are the films big villians. Mr. "I'll tear your soul apart" is not the films main focus. With that, I grooved to Julia as played by the SUPERB Claire Higgins. Hellraiser has some serious drama going on that clicked with me. I feared a certain character more than any creature in the film. The special effects are indeed special. Some are clunky - but you do see the imagination behind them which is enough blow you away. The music score during the uncle Frank "formation" scene is classy, but freaky. Such a great film. This is one of the very few films I wish a director would pull a "George Lucas" and touch up a few effects and re-release the film. Of course the films most smashing special effect is, without a doubt, Ashley Laurence's eyes.
The transfer is softer than DVD (surprise!!!) but still pretty clear, sharp, colorful. The one thing that amazed me is there was not one white fleck or speck on the entire disc! Halloween, had it's few share as do most LD's, but I must have gotten a rare pressing of Hellraiser in that regard.
The International Trailer, gives much away, but it is more honest than the sensational USA ones which are slightly misleading about the films plot and characters (at least to me). There is a 2nd disc of extras, but I've not looked at it yet.

Vlachio
10-26-2007, 06:56 AM
Tell me! I've had them since they were originally released. I bought most of the horror titles that came out in letterbox or special edition. In some cases, I bought DOUBLES thinking no other format would come along to replace them :fire: and in case we had a big earthquake or fire. I had to sell 75% of my collection last year and believe it or not, almost broke even in what I spent on them.:eek:
I got this Criterion HALLOWEEN for $10 at Rasputin a few years ago. I looked at it and opened it and it was so minty and the spine was stiff that it was a sure buy. I'm glad I did. :D
I have but a minor collection now of essentials. I only kick myself for getting rid of my Elite Texas Chainsaw Massacre. :fire: and my Cannibal Ferox with the record:fire: .

I used to have about 100+ LD's I sold most of them though. Good friend of mine sold them on eBay 4 years ago. Those were the good old days before eBay became a rat hole. Every dirt cheap, cheap skate moron on the planet looking for cheese infests eBay now. Nothing sells good so I don't ask nobody to sell my shit no more. As far as amoeba goes they used to be great. Then DVD came in and they liquidated they're LD's. All they have left now is $1 junk nobody wants. I don't know what sucks more the drug addicts who work there are the shitty selections. Everybody in Hollyhomless Wood thinks they are the BOMB. The store is the biggest largest toilet dump. I don't bother driving there no more. All those LD's you say you miss sell dirt cheap on ebay. I don't use eBay to buy stuff but I do lurk the site to see how well stuff sells. So no need to kick youself no more. Only problem with buying LD buying on ebay is sellers who have no clue how to pack them without getting damaged. Upgrading your LD's for DVD is pretty stupid IMO. Sure some stuff looks clearer. However LD's feel sweet when you hold them like old school records. For example I still have the JAPANESE LD of Prince of darkness. It's my favorite LD of all time. The cover is jet blue with a hand holding a blade. It's so gorgious & if you folks don't have it you have no idea how sweet that LD is. It's nice to know some of us here still appreciate this format!

Paff
10-26-2007, 08:04 AM
#5: Frankenstein (1931). I actually like Bride of Frankenstein a little more, but I spun this one tonight. Always good to see a classic.

And I don't know why the Amoeba hate. I admit, I was there back in May and only picked up a handful of discs. But last year, I scored some good stuff, like Criterion editions of Repulsion, Sid and Nancy, and Dersu Uzala.

wago70
10-26-2007, 08:41 AM
#18!
HELLBOUND HELLRAISER 2
Nice Lumivision disc. I've only spun it once before back in the late '90's. Disc looks great although a tad soft in the image. Colors are great, though.
Uneven, but terrific follow-up. Claire Higgins throws herself into the role. Her "you wanted to see" scene was mindblowing. Her contribution is shamefully underrated. The transfer is perhaps too good...the layers of make-up on the Cenobites are visible at times. Overall, it's a terrific film especially if you like the color RED. ;) Trailers, a few behind the scenes featurettes and some other goodies round out the single laserdisc package.

wago70
10-26-2007, 08:47 AM
#19:
ZOMBIE
Roan laserdisc. Of all the transfers of ZOMBIE I have seen, I think this is my favorite. The image does the zombies well in addition to the color of the blood. The latest DVD releases look a little to bright for me and the zombies look less effective when you can make out their latex applique. Some flecks here and there and the image didn't have the smooth balance some of my other LD's have. One nighttime scene looked "smudgy" and "inkish" (the boat scene where Peter and Ann are caught by the cops making out). A once strong release doesn't have the pull it once had...but it's still my preferred version.

wago70
10-26-2007, 05:25 PM
#5: Frankenstein (1931). I actually like Bride of Frankenstein a little more, but I spun this one tonight. Always good to see a classic.

And I don't know why the Amoeba hate. I admit, I was there back in May and only picked up a handful of discs. But last year, I scored some good stuff, like Criterion editions of Repulsion, Sid and Nancy, and Dersu Uzala.
CLASSICS! Those are perfect at Halloween-time. Amoeba has some awesome deals going on with LDs. I saw the Dead Ringers boxset for an insane $7! I should have grabbed the U/A Horror Classics for that much, too. People still buy them! Amoeba was always good to me when I traded in. Because of the online prices I bought stuff, I usually broke even.
I nabbed ZOMBIE HOLOCAUST (with posters!), HOUSE/EDGE OF THE PARK, WAX MASK, LIVING DEAD GIRL, BLADE IN THE DARK and HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY for less than $40.

wago70
10-27-2007, 05:46 AM
#20:
THE EVIL DEAD
The terrific Japanese LD. Contains a trailer...and silver sterling picture quality that is bright, sharp and colorful (as Raimi's budget would allow, that is ;) ) Like HALLOWEEN, this is a tight, simple tale that starts...and doesn't really let up. One of the select horror films to get the color of blood JUST RIGHT. The limitations of the effects are revealed due to the clean picture, but who cares - they are still effective since the energy and imagination of Sam Raimi and crew keeps the film clipping along at an intense rate.
The LD contains only the trailer which is sort of a mini Evil Dead. The later sequels dwelled more on humor, but this film plays it pretty much straight...outrageously so.

wago70
10-27-2007, 08:42 AM
But, of course, it's EVIL DEAD 2 the "Blood Red" edition from Elite! It's got a tad different feel to it and there's more humor but the film is still inventive and entertaining. Scary, it's not, but fun it most certainly is. The laserdisc picture is still good. LD white flecks are kept to a minium. Many close-ups of Bruce Campbell are excellent and sharp. The surrounding woods come through as a tad soft and there's not incredible detail. The closing extras are an uncompiled selection of behind-the-scenes footage lasting about 15 to 20 minutes. Pretty solid disc.

wago70
10-27-2007, 08:50 AM
LET SLEEPING CORPSES LIE
I found this Japan import in a used record shop in '03 for $30. It's an excellent, scary film. Things to note about this laserdisc:
- the "streaker" in the opening credits has her private parts fogged out.
- many white nicks and flecks on the film (but rarely in the black letterbox
bars).
- verticle lines on the print and some black flecks.
- the picture is not as sharp as the discs I have been watching.
- color leans toward yellows and greens.
- there seems to be some halo-ing around the characters when they are up
against dark backgrounds.
ON THE OTHER HAND:
- the color of blood is terrific!
- in spite of all the above mentioned, the image is NOT as grainy as the
Anchor Bay DVD! There is a nice smoothness to the overall picture.
- the movie just plain ROCKS!
:)

Paff
10-27-2007, 09:51 AM
I plan on doing my annual Halloween movie marathon tomorrow night, running horror movies from late afternoon till around 2 in the morning. Most will be on LD.

Meanwhile, tonight I came home and felt in a musical mood...so I put in
#6: Jesus Christ Superstar

sgarner666
10-27-2007, 06:06 PM
You could have followed it up with Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter - then you'd have a two fer with Jesus and musicals...

wago70
10-28-2007, 12:10 AM
CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD
Nice gatefold LD from EC Entertainment. Compared to the rare Japanese double disc version, this was a revelation to my eyes back in '98. The Japan release from 1990 was a very nice package, but the picture was waaaaay too dark and the letterbox bars would constantly "shift" up and down as the movie played. Sometimes they were sharp while other times they were as undefined as a torn paper edge (!)
This EC release, on the other hand, was a definite step up quality wise. It's not as defined as the Anchor Bay disc and the colors are pale. The beautiful gatefold jacket is nice, however. The source is specked (as we all have seen in every release) but the sound is good and the picture is pretty clear - even the dark scenes.

wago70
10-28-2007, 01:21 AM
...and I'm not the least bit tired!
TERROR IN THE AISLES
Letterboxed Japanese double disc set. Picture quality is okay. The print used is grittier than the mid 90's Universal VHS. Akin to seeing a film that has been playing a few weeks non-stop. The Japanese subtitles are not intrusive. They are presented vertically on the right side of the frame (!).
It's nice to see this again and the films featured are terrific. I remember seeing this when it opened in 1984 - we were still underage and went in full costume Halloween night so they wouldn't card us. The theater was packed and the clips are great. I couldn't help being disappointed when it ended. No doubt due to the short running time. However, I was also irritated (at the time) with the narration, some films not even featured even though they were listed (Dawn of the Dead for one) and waaaaaay to much attention given to Action/Suspense films (Vice Squad???? Nighthawks???? KLUTE?!?!?!?! wtf????) a total waste.
There are also "nothing" scenes from otherwise great films (Jessica Harper walking down a hallway in SUSPIRIA for example) that do nothing to engage fear. However, the absolute worst of all was the goofy collage of cheesy humor films (Konga, Saturday the 14th to name a few) accompanied by a stupid song. I wanted chase scenes, kill scenes, alien frights and better titles (where was Hell Night? Hills Have Eyes? Hell, even the first FRIDAY THE 13TH is missing). What a missed opportunity.
The sections that did get it right, however: the Satan films, the lead-up to Scanners' mind blowing sequence and the final montage before the credits. The inclusion of the '78 Invasion of the Body Snatchers is featured nicely.
Oddly, the only scene in the entire movie that made me jump was one of the featured scenes from Ms. 45.
Okay disc in CAV. I'd love to see a DVD anyway but I can't imagine the rights issues at this point.

Paff
10-28-2007, 10:55 AM
just finished an 8+ hour movie marathon, so I'm a bit tired. But here were the LDs I watched:

#7: The Haunting (1963). Wow, what an amazing looking laserdisc. If I didn't know better, I'd swear it was a DVD. I gotta admit, the movie does drag a little in spots and get a little talky. But when it's on, it's on. I noticed a lot of similarities with this and Hell Night, and a lot of shots look like they influenced Dario Argento, particularly in Suspiria.

#8: A Nightmare on Elm Street. I was really disappointed in the transfer here, and it's the special edition from Elite. The dark scenes were murky as hell, and the brighter scenes were oversaturated. Although, it kinda looked like daylight here the last week, with the sun filtered through the wildfire smoke. It actually seemed BRIGHTER than normal, much like the daylight scenes on this disc. But I'm also a little disappointed with the movie itself, which has not held up over time. Not sure if I'm making sense here, it's late

#9: The Exorcist. This was the 25th anniversary edition, with the same features as the corresponding DVD. But I always thought that DVD sounded a little thin, and the Dolby Digital mix on this LD is pretty damn good. Good sound is critical for The Exorcist. And the movie still holds your attention, too.

#10: The Blair Witch Project. I usually spin the LD of this film, solely because it was one of the last American LDs produced. The transfer is equal to the DVD. And the movie itself is still good, although it doesn't have quite the impact as it does on first viewing. I still dig the group dynamic, and anyone who says there's "no acting" in this film is dead wrong. I can only sit through this about once a year. It makes great Halloween viewing.

Still hope to get a few more LDs in by the end of the month. In particular, Night of the Living Dead, and maybe Horror of Dracula. Haven't spun my Curse of Frankenstein disc in a couple of years, maybe that will get played instead.

wago70
10-28-2007, 06:57 PM
I agree about EXORCIST and NIGHTMARE LD's. Exorcist looked and sounded amazing and I regret selling it. NIGHTMARE, besides that hot gatefold, did look murky and smeary. I'm surprised it got thru quality control!
Good choices!

wago70
10-28-2007, 11:48 PM
THE HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL (Castle/Price)
The vintage B/W bug hits me every Autumn. This letterboxed LD is immaculate, sharp and just all-around cool. The sound is a little better than the Warner DVD. Fun flick needs no summary. A classic for the whole family. :p

wago70
10-28-2007, 11:54 PM
THE THING - From Another World
Although not as sharp as the DVD, the picture in this disc is pretty good. What makes this LD a keeper, however, are the extras: the complete story "Who Goes There?" (the characters have those cool names featured in the 1982 Carpenter film), many stills and marketing items...I got all excited for the film just by looking at everything!
By the way, for a classic well-known film, this was the first time I actually sat and watched this "thing" beginning to end. The final dialogue "watch the skies..." was chilling. I can see why this one is so well-loved (after taking it for granted all these years - lesson learned).

wago70
10-29-2007, 05:53 AM
NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD
Awesome double-disc very special edition from Elite. This is one of those rare LD's that are a hair from matching DVD clarity. The sound is certainly better than the DVD (from my TV speakers, that is.)
What can I say that hasn't been said about this very scary movie? How about: if only they ALL could have stuck it out until morning...and avoided the so-called rescue :fire: .
Scary without being all gloomy-doomy and well-made.
Oddly, the DVD I have from Elite has some weird editing throughout. It seems there's a split-second pause between many shots. I didn't notice that in the LD version. Whichever version you do have, watch it!

wago70
10-29-2007, 06:02 AM
FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN
Terrific, wild film from Criterion. Picture is a tad grainy in outdoor scenes, but overall not bad. Although the latest DVD from Image is much, much clearer and smoother, I prefer the more-vibrant colors on the LD. Colors on the DVD are more life-like, but here things like the liquids in the lab beekers and the castle's interiors stand out much more.
The still file plays itself (I love not having to toggle each frame) to the terrific soundtrack score.

Paff
10-29-2007, 07:15 AM
NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD
Awesome double-disc very special edition from Elite.

This one will definitely be dropped into my player in the next couple of nights. And that still gallery is jaw-dropping, even if you have to keep toggling through them. The full-color photos are worth the price of the disc alone.

Agent Z
10-29-2007, 01:02 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/MissionCodeZ/DemonsLD.jpg

wago70
10-29-2007, 04:54 PM
Ooooooh yah - I'll be hittin' up the Roan DEMONS discs myself this eve. I was up until 2 a.m. last night (and up at 6:15 to start for work) but I squeezed in:

BLOOD FOR DRACULA
The Criterion LD looks really great. Actually, I don't know if this one counts as #28 because I was up shredding old bills while the movie played on. I had to watch the still file without sound (due to having close proximity neighbors). Still, I love the film and the disc looks great. Some close-ups of Dracula are very luminous. Ironically, on the news earlier was a piece on Vampires of the cinema and the guy showed clips of all the cool ones! "Vampire Lovers", "Horror of Dracula" basically the whole genre. Yes, BLOOD FOR DRACULA was featured; where they focused on the films' outrageous attributes including the Italian handyman with the Brooklyn accent :). The clips showed, however, made my LD look like HD.
I may go Beyond 31 discs - finally getting my money's worth on the damn things.

Agent Z
10-30-2007, 12:07 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/MissionCodeZ/VPM.jpg

Paff
10-30-2007, 07:32 PM
This has been a fun little exercise, even though I'll get nowhere near 31. Even 10 is more LDs in a month than I usually watch. I wonder what I would have been able to accomplish if it were not for my film festival (which obliterated 9 days on the festival alone, not counting preparation and recovery), my love of sports and baseball playoffs, and the fact that I do have an active dating life.

I'll still spin a couple more in the next two days. Maybe three days even.

ekent
10-30-2007, 07:55 PM
Ok, you talked me into it...

3. Night of the Living Dead
A beautiful transfer to say the least. The PCM audio was hitting pretty hard as well. When Ben is boarding up the house, things were rattling on shelves clear across my house. The music in the first 25 minutes or so is an assault on the sences. It takes the emotions of the scene(s) and blasts it in your face. It could be frightening to listen to from another room. I do believe that this is the first time I have watched the LD without the commentary. Great stuff.

Obviously, I won't be hitting that magical 31 number, but I do have another LD or two up my sleeve.

wago70
10-30-2007, 08:11 PM
It's been great. I'm homebound since I'm going to Europe in December and again in summer.
It's my last batch of LD which I can't really sell (for what 2 cents?) so I thought I'd enjoy them as much as possible.
Which brings me to DVD - most of my favorite film have been issued and issued a few times over, so I've just started unloading my collection and keeping the small essentials. I'll not be blowing wads of cash on a replaceable media any more.

Paff
10-31-2007, 07:42 AM
#11: Tales of Terror

Peter Lorre makes this one so enjoyable. I always tend to tune out during the final story though. Fun little anthology though...

Vlachio
10-31-2007, 07:52 AM
It's been great. I'm homebound since I'm going to Europe in December and again in summer.
It's my last batch of LD which I can't really sell (for what 2 cents?) so I thought I'd enjoy them as much as possible.
Which brings me to DVD - most of my favorite film have been issued and issued a few times over, so I've just started unloading my collection and keeping the small essentials. I'll not be blowing wads of cash on a replaceable media any more.

Yeah its hard to unload LDs for sale. Majority of them are not worth anything. Only LD that sell very good are the japanese ones.

ekent
10-31-2007, 03:40 PM
4. The Crazies (Japanese)
This is the first time I have watched this film without the commentary since the late 90's. The transfer is a little dark and grainy, but honestly, I think that lends to the film and its grindhouse nature. The DVD is way too crisp, although I do commend Blue Underground for the work they did on The Crazies.

The film is a mess. The guys in white suits were ovbiously overdubbed, but why they used such an odd echo effect is beyond me. Hidden somewhere is a decent story and potentially a decent film. I hear there is a remake planned, and honestly, if they get it right, it should easily surpass the original. Do ultraviolet lights actually protect against anything?

Paff
10-31-2007, 06:08 PM
I dunno, I kinda like The Crazies. As I mentioned in my review here (http://www.horrordvds.com/modules.php?name=Reviews&file=viewarticle&id=412), it serves as a bridge between Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead. Romero clearly was fascinated with the apocalyptic aspect of his zombie films, and that's the more prevalent theme in Dawn. If you combine Night and The Crazies, you kinda have Dawn. It's worth watching for that alone.

wago70
10-31-2007, 06:36 PM
Ok, you talked me into it...

3. Night of the Living Dead
A beautiful transfer to say the least. The PCM audio was hitting pretty hard as well. When Ben is boarding up the house, things were rattling on shelves clear across my house. The music in the first 25 minutes or so is an assault on the sences. It takes the emotions of the scene(s) and blasts it in your face. It could be frightening to listen to from another room. I do believe that this is the first time I have watched the LD without the commentary. Great stuff.

Obviously, I won't be hitting that magical 31 number, but I do have another LD or two up my sleeve.

I love how this was shot...all those cool angles, shadows and editing. Very horror movie-ish. This movie is scary and upsetting at the same time. I have read the paperback and it's no less scary (perhaps more so). The Elite LD is a mighty fine piece. I still have not seen all the extras!

Paff
10-31-2007, 06:51 PM
The NOTLD Elite LD is on tap for tonight. I'm also gonna add The Curse of Frankenstein. I was thinking of one more, but I do wanna watch the conclusion of the South Park trilogy, so that may screw up my schedule...

Paff
11-01-2007, 07:13 AM
finished the month with a total of 13

12. The Curse of Frankenstein. A remarkably good transfer, but this movie doesn't impress me. Many of the sequels were better. Hammer movies can be slow, but it takes 50 minutes before anything decent happens. Then way too much is crammed into the final 30 minutes. Should have spread it out a little more.

13. Night of the Living Dead. Really nothing more to say about this one.

My interest in LD has been revived a bit. There's a few more I'd like to see, like the Baron Blood/Lisa and the Devil double disc, In The Mouth of Madness (DTS), and The Beyond. Maybe City of the Living Dead and Zombie too.

wago70
11-01-2007, 08:17 AM
I didn't make 31 LDs watched. Aside from the Corman/Vincent Price flicks and the Godzilla Death Battle boxset, what I did watch is really all that felt appropriate for Halloween (and all I have left, LOL).
It was a fun run, however. It was great watching LD's I bought but never watched.
Thanks to EVERYONE for reading the thread and for viewing your LD's and posting here.
As for Halloween, I finished the month with some more DVDs. I may put on a VHS (!) as I go to bed. I have a feeling I won't be getting much sleep once the noisy neighbors above and across the courtyard come home drunk and playing loud music. How I wish the living dead would rise and rip them to shreds. :)
HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE! Until next year...

Agent Z
11-01-2007, 10:50 AM
Oct. 31st - early Nov. 1st

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/MissionCodeZ/DOTD.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/MissionCodeZ/TTCM.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/MissionCodeZ/Halloween.jpg

ekent
11-01-2007, 04:46 PM
[center]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/MissionCodeZ/DOTD.jpg

This would be my 5th, although it doesn't really count because I only watched sides one and two and had to shut it off to go to bed.

I am amazed by the picture quality on this. Every once and again I had to pause it to admire random frames. I hate the matting of Dawn overall (not just this release) and prefer the full frame version(s). Is there any chance in hell that the full frame version gets remastered? Doubtful, but at least I have my late 90's VHS release(s) to hold me over for eternity.

Also, thanks Wago for posting this challenge. It was fun and it has certainly got me back on the LD watching kick. Great idea!

wago70
11-01-2007, 05:45 PM
Yes, that DAWN set is great. I was going to watch that set along with DAY OF THE DEAD but I went out Tuesday night (!) instead.
That TEXAS CHAINSAW set...I must get another. Don't know why I sold it for less than $5. I can't even think about it.
I had a great time, too. It's amazing how great most of them still looked.

Paff
11-01-2007, 06:02 PM
I still need to get that Dawn set, although I'll keep my movie-only release since it's been signed by George Romero, Tom Savini, and Ken Foree.

And I won't be getting rid of the TCM disc for the same reason; that one's been signed by Gunnar Hansen and Ed Neal

ekent
11-01-2007, 08:10 PM
I still need to get that Dawn set, although I'll keep my movie-only release since it's been signed by George Romero, Tom Savini, and Ken Foree.

The CLV version's picture quality is stunningly good, until you watch the CAV.