PDA

View Full Version : Dave's Halloween Top Ten 2007

Dave
10-10-2007, 11:08 PM
Dave's Halloween List 2007

To this day I'll remind my Mom that my love for horror movies is her own doing. As a child, my parents were staunch Christians and all forms of horror, whether comic book or film, were banned from our household. What was a 10-year old boy to do? The answer is simple: sneak over to your friend's house every day to watch them. With his parents at work all day, my love for horror flourished in his home. The long bike rides to the video story introduced me to the many sequels of Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, and the countless other horror movies from the 80s.

I missed out on the Top 10 list fun last year. Rhett was determined to get me to post one this year, insisting that I posted it early of all things! As luck would have it, I too was determined to not miss out on the festivities this time around. It's a fun way to pimp some of the movies we love. Anyone that reads my reviews know there are a handful of goofy horror movies that I love, mostly from the 80s. While nostalgia is a huge part of my love for horror, I'm determined to mix it up a little this year. And these aren't just the ones I'm recommending, but the ones that I actually plan on watching for enjoyment value (outside of reviewing) during October. My goal here is to include some of my favorites from all sides of the horror genre. Lets take a peak.

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/bsdracula-sb/bsdracula-sb_fs.jpg

10. Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)

Title aside, Francis Ford Coppola's adaptation of Dracula is the most faithful to Bram Stoker's novel. We all know the story, but how it's told and how it looks makes all the difference in the world. Coppola delivers a modern day masterpiece, from the dazzling makeup and effects to the meticulous set design. Gary Oldman gives the performance of his career, for here he is in fact Count Dracula. The entire supporting cast (I'm giving Neo a pass) give equally impressive performances. I can't think of a better movie to open my Top 10 with. Turn out the lights and watch as Coppola and crew bring Stoker's novel to life.

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/pictures/nosferatu.jpg

9. Nosferatu (1922)

From Coppola's modern day classic, we go to German filmmaker F.W. Murnau's silent era classic, Nosferatu. An unauthorized version of Dracula, and one that was almost lost forever due to a copyright suit by Bram Stoker's widow, Nosferatu proves that even silent, 85 year old movies can pack quite a fright. This is in large part due to the performance of Max Schrek as Count Orlok, one of the most eerie and effective portrayals of the Count. From the long, skeletal fingers to the hypnotic scare, he nails portraying the darker, animal-like side to Dracula. Thanks to his performance and the effective score, Nosferatu is a classic not to be missed.

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/n-z/notld90/notld90_fs.jpg

8. Night of the Living Dead (1990)

Cry sacrilege if you must, but Savini proved something to me back in 1990: a remake isn't always a bad thing. Actually, it can be a good thing if done right. The trick to to take the original, spin it, and give a different take on it. I don't want to watch a shot for shot remake (I'm looking at you Psycho 1998), but I'll gladly take a peak if it's a different take on the original. Such is the case here, with Savini ultimately delivering a familiar, yet different tale about a group of folks trapped in a farmhouse that is surrounded by bloodthirsty zombies. Add in some modern day Gore from Savini, how can you go wrong?

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/dotd04/dotd04_fs.jpg

7. Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Don't hate me for being a remake supporter. While I dislike many remakes, there are some that do it right, and Dawn of the Dead was another that did just that. It takes the idea of the original and runs in a completely different direction. Take the mall out and there's virtually nothing similar between the two movies. While the remake doesn't achieve the greatness found in Romero's classic, nor does it hold a candle in comparison, the remake is a good horror movie. Isn't that what it's all about? There's good acting, great effects, lots of gore, a fun story, and steady pacing. I'd venture to guess that if it was called anything but Dawn of the Dead, those that disliked it would have liked it. It's when we are forced to compare it with the original that we start hating it. Look at Dawn as a separate movie and you too will enjoy it. Be sure to go with the unrated cut for some great extra gore shots.

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/n-z/thing/thing_fs.jpg

6. The Thing (1982)

Topping off my remake recommendations is John Carpenter's The Thing. While easily one of the best remakes ever created, it leaves those hating the idea of remakes in quite a predicament. How does one hate remakes and love Carpenter's The Thing? Yet I'd venture to bet that many horror fans do exactly that. As mentioned above, taking the idea of the original and going in a different direction with the story is the best course for a remake. The Thing does just that. With its chilling, claustrophobic environment and musical score, coupled with the top notch special effects, The Thing not only marks one of the best science fiction films of all time, it marks the high point of Carpenter's career. It's a must see for all.

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/n-z/they/they_fs.jpg

5. They (2002)

I'll admit it now: I'm climbing on my soapbox here and listing They simply to get the movie more attention. I enjoy it, don't get me wrong, and I do plan on watching it again this month during my many marathons. But They slipped under the radar of too many horror fans and I'd like to see it get more attention. It's flawed, yes, but it delivers some great scares and one of the better endings (and alternate endings) I've seen in a modern day horror. As an added bonus, it stars Laura Regan, one of the most beautiful woman in Hollywood today. But don't watch They for the pretty face, watch it to be genuinely surprised and entertained by the only decent horror released under the 'Wes Craven Presents' label.

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/pictures/p2.jpg

4. Phantasm II (1988)

Balls to the walls, Phantasm II is the Indiana Jones of the horror genre. It has it all: action and adventure, great effects and gore, an epic story, and a top notch cast. Reggie and the gang are back in what may be Don Coscarelli's finest movie made. James LeGros taking the place of Michael Baldwin in the role of Mike didn't bother me in the least. He nailed the role and if anything, improved upon it. Reggie Bannister develops Reggie into the anti-hero, similar to Bruce Campbell and Ash from Evil Dead. Reggie is the reluctant hero, not wanting to be where he is and just not able to get a break (or laid in Reggie's case). The story is so epic, so apocalyptic, one can't help being letdown by the subsequent lower budget sequels that followed. To see Phantasm as its finest, be sure to give Part II a spin.

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/f13th6/f13th6_fs.jpg

3. Friday the 13th Part VI (1986)

It's been a guilty pleasure of mine since childhood, and remains to this day my favorite Friday sequel. It's one of the last Friday sequels to follow the tried and true formula of Friday the 13th movies. There's no outer space, no Freddy, no psychics, and no crazy Vorhees mythology. Nope, Part VI tells the simple tale of a mass murderer brought back to life by a bolt of lightening, courtesy of his old friend Tommy Jarvis (played here by Thom Mathews). He promptly returns to Crystal Lake to do what he does best: kill anyone in sight in the most creative manner possible. A must see for Friday fans.

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/n-z/noes3/noes3_fs.jpg

2. Nightmare on Elm Street III

The sequel themed part to my Top 10 ends with Nightmare on Elm Street III: The Dream Warriors, the finest of the Elm Street sequels. It features a return by Nightmare creator Wes Craven, along with actor Heather Langenkamp, Freddy's original and finest foe. It's the last Elm Street where Freddy still manages to portray a dark and menacing character. While the humor does creep in here, it's much less prevalent than what it becomes in the subsequent sequels. Nightmare III manages to provide a good story and remains the finest Nightmare sequel to date.

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/n-z/suspiria-lmtd/suspiria-lmtd_fs.jpg

1. Suspiria (1977)

No one that knows my style in horror would expect me to put a euro horror as my number one choice this year. While I admit I'm not the biggest euro fan, Argento's Suspiria has always been a favorite of mine. For my number one pick I wanted to list the one movie that I've been aching to watch for ages, and the one I would most recommend to horror fans as essential viewing for the month of October. Suspiria fits the bill. I remember the first time I saw it on laserdisc, nearly 10 years ago now. It's one of the few horror movies that managed to frighten and unsettle me as an adult. Between Goblin's score and Argento's beautiful use of colors, Suspiria leaves you spellbound. I had the movie stuck in my mind for the days and only with repeat viewings did I truly come to appreciate it for the classic it is. It's Argento's masterpiece and one of my favorite movies. To this day watching the movie has an effect on me, almost as if I'm watching it again for the first time. Like a fine painting, it's something that you continue to appreciate from each viewing. Not to be missed!

spawningblue
10-11-2007, 12:03 AM
Nice list! Glad to see some love for Jason Lives, my favourite Friday movie. I recently watched it and realized just how fun of a slasher film it is, with non stop killings (I think he reaches 20 in it). Actually just about every movie on that list I would say is perfect October viewing, although I haven't seen Phantasm 2 and They. I could have picked up They the other day for $5. Guess I'll have to go back and see if it's still there. Anyways, awesome list!

spawningblue
10-11-2007, 12:05 AM
By the way, is Phantasm 2 ever getting a Region 1 Release? What's holding it up? I loved the first one, and see part 3 and 4 all the time, but I've been holding out until I watch part 2 first.

boycrieswolf
10-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Same here spawningblue. I've never seen part 2 either, but this list just made me want to order the region 2 disc before halloween. I have to agree with almost everything on this list, though I've yet to see They, but I'll definitely give it a rental soon. Great list Dave!

DVD-fanatic-9
10-11-2007, 06:16 PM
Interesting list... I agree with half of it.

Mok
10-11-2007, 06:33 PM
Nice list man. It's good to see credit where it's due. I haven't seen They, but I'll check it out soon.

bigdaddyhorse
10-11-2007, 06:55 PM
Count me as one of many who've seen everything on the list except for They.

I advise everyone who's missed out on Phatasm II to get region free and order it or the whole set from the UK. The Sphere collection is one of the finest purchases I ever made.

Kolpitz
10-11-2007, 07:29 PM
I saw They in the theater and didn't care for it but I dig the rest of the list.

onebyone
10-11-2007, 07:30 PM
I really like They too. Glad to see it get some love.

DrHerbertWest
10-11-2007, 08:46 PM
I saw They when it first came out on DVD. The only thing I remember is that it's got the guy from That Thing You Do!, Vegas Vacation and Incident On & Off a Mountain Road. I'll have to rent it again sometime. Cool list!

(I still have not seen Bram Stoker's Dracula.)

Agent Z
10-11-2007, 09:12 PM
I can vouch for every movie on that list save for They, which I have never seen.

I would have probably left John Carpenter's The Thing off though, as it just feels more like a film to be enjoyed during the winter months instead of around Halloween season. That's just my OCD kicking in again though, as the film is great whenever and however one can get to it.

Hellbilly
10-11-2007, 09:18 PM
I like They and used to watch it along with Darkness Falls as both have the exact same opening and plot similarities. In fact, I might have to do a They/Darkness Falls double feature soon :)

Great list, I like every flick listed.

Workshed
10-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Cool list, Dave. I too am curious about a Phantasm II R1 release, and I've been meaning to watch They. I just realized that I still have yet to watch Savini's Dead remake. :eek1: What is my problem? The rest I've seen, and they'd make for a fun October viewing. Love Suspiria, and I've made it a pick for a group Halloween viewing before. It did not disappoint.

Nemesis
10-11-2007, 11:07 PM
nice list dave except for They which is a heap of shit that i will never watch again :)

spawningblue
10-12-2007, 12:34 AM
haha save for a few comments, I think you succeeded in at least building up an interest for They. Hopefully it's as worthy as you say. :nervous: :lol:

Dave
10-12-2007, 12:51 AM
haha save for a few comments, I think you succeeded in at least building up an interest for They. Hopefully it's as worthy as you say. :nervous: :lol:

Then it's mission accomplished. I did review it, too.

http://www.horrordvds.com/modules.php?name=Reviews&file=viewarticle&id=477

But that's the beauty of the Top 10 list. It's *MY* list. :banana:

Rumor has it that Halloween 2007 may make Rhett's list this year...

rhett
10-12-2007, 01:00 AM
Rumor has it that Halloween 2007 may make Rhett's list this year...
No, you have it all mixed up. Halloween will make my 2007 list this year, but it ain't Rob Zombie's. :D

eiker_ir
10-12-2007, 01:49 PM
we have the exact same taste

Shock Waves
10-13-2007, 09:15 AM
No, you have it all mixed up. Halloween will make my 2007 list this year, but it ain't Rob Zombie's. :D

:lol: ...I just can't drag myself to the theater for the new one..I have no faith in Zombie's abilities. I could be wrong.

rhett
10-13-2007, 09:39 AM
I could be wrong.No, you couldn't.

Tina12312
10-13-2007, 04:24 PM
nice list Dave; I liked They too.