PDA

View Full Version : Paul Naschy Double Feature on BluRay

Reverenddave
10-12-2007, 04:08 PM
According to HighDef Digest, BCI plans to release NIGHT OF THE WEREWOLF and VENGEANCE OF THE ZOMBIES as a BluRay double feature on January 8th. I'm pretty sure these two titles were previously announced for HD-DVD, but were never released.

The release is set to be the first next-gen title from BCI's genre label, Deimos Entertainment.

Sources say the two flicks will be presented on a single BD-50 dual-layer disc in their original uncut form, with each enjoying newly remastered high-definition masters and upgraded surround soundtracks (exact video and audio codecs TBA).

Extras will include an introduction by Naschy for each film, deleted scenes, still galleries and the original US theatrical trailers.

Deimos has set a $29.95 MSRP for the double feature.

Euro Horror Hits BluRay....... (http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Delmos_Entertainment/Disc_Announcements/Euro-Horror_Hits_Blu-ray_with_Paul_Naschy_Double_Feature/1061)

wago70
10-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Now this is crazy...I was holding off on Blu Ray until a Euro horror pic was released and here it is. But I'm still undecided.

X-human
10-12-2007, 05:51 PM
Hell I already own the SD-DVD's and I'll be buying these in a heart beat.

I would think HD-DVD releases are in the works for these too, Mirek Lipinski who did the liner notes indicated he thought HD-DVD was coming down the line. 'Course he's not exactly on the bat phone over at BCI or anything but I'd imagine he hears things. I checked a forum he frequents and nothing's been posted yet about this news.

zombi3
10-13-2007, 02:14 PM
I'm pretty sure these two titles were previously announced for HD-DVD, but were never released.

Yeah, WTF? :mad:

DVD Empire has them for pre-order on HD DVD, but no release date. I hope they're not cancelled.

wago70
10-15-2007, 05:59 AM
So...the newest "to be" versions will have uncompressed sound, is that it?

zombi3
11-27-2007, 12:26 AM
It looks like the Vengeance of the Zombies HD DVD finally has a release date:

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.asp?userid=99366037077010&item_id=1186232&searchID=

Still no word on Night of the Werewolf though. I guess the double feature is exclusive to Blu-Ray.

X-human
11-27-2007, 01:37 AM
...huh. BCI's been real good about sending off press releases for HD, but for this one title only retailers have been informed a couple of weeks in advance? I'll give DVDEmpire the benefit of the doubt but I still suspect this won't be coming out 12/11.

X-human
01-20-2008, 09:07 AM
I just watched Night of the Werewolf and it was spectacular. It was a little soft but I'd say it looked better than Christmas Story on my 52". It'll be interesting to see how Vengeance of the Zombies holds up as well.

Jason25
01-20-2008, 09:20 AM
I just watched Night of the Werewolf and it was spectacular. It was a little soft but I'd say it looked better than Christmas Story on my 52". It'll be interesting to see how Vengeance of the Zombies holds up as well.

Very nice. My copy shipped from Amazon but I won't have it until early next week. Looking forward to checking these out soon.

X-human
01-21-2008, 11:46 AM
I was able to watch Vengeance of the Zombies and while not as good as Werewolf it's still damn good looking. What the HD really does is take away the video look and give some depth to the backgrounds. For some reason my disc seemed to skip a few seconds here or there, only affecting the video though. Audio played through cleanly. So I'd be interested Jason if you have the same problem.

Vlachio
01-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Very nice. My copy shipped from Amazon but I won't have it until early next week. Looking forward to checking these out soon.

Im soooooo tempted by this release. Prior to buying a bluray player I'd like to see more releases. Still I'm very tempted.

X-human
01-28-2008, 09:23 PM
I checked The Latarnia Forums, run by Mirek Lipinski who did the liner notes, and while there's a thread with several viewers all experiencing the same problem (http://p210.ezboard.com/fthelatarniaforumsfrm1.showMessageRange?topicID=76 8.topic&start=61&stop=72) neither Mirek or the BCI representatives who post there have commented yet. They MUST be aware of this, as it's well documents on Mirek's forum. Hopefully they'll fix this, as Night of the Werewolf is one of my favorites.

I also noticed that when I first picked up the disc I started unconsciously humming Zombie's theme music. :D

Jason25
01-28-2008, 11:57 PM
I just checked these out yesterday, and yes, it does skip from time to time. I wasn't real happy about that.

Both films did look quite good though, hopefully they'll step up and do the right thing.

Noto
01-29-2008, 12:01 AM
Damn, I just got this in the mail today and won't have a chance to check it out until tomorrow. Do both discs skip?

Jason25
01-29-2008, 12:17 AM
Damn, I just got this in the mail today and won't have a chance to check it out until tomorrow. Do both discs skip?

I didn't notice it but once or twice on Night but it was worse on Vengeance. It is quick when it happens but you definitely notice it, which is distracting.

X-human
01-29-2008, 12:39 AM
I didn't notice it on Werewolf but others have, I'm sure if I saw it again I'd spot it. It's hard to miss on Zombie it happens so often. Reports seem to be coming from PS3 owners, is that what you watched it on Jason? That's what I watched it on.

If you have something besides a PS3 Noto it'd be interesting to hear from you if you had any problems.

Noto
01-29-2008, 12:45 AM
If you have something besides a PS3 Noto it'd be interesting to hear from you if you had any problems.

Sadly, I only have the PS3 to play my Blus on. I'll check tomorrow, and if it's that bad I'll probably do a complete review on my site as well just to get the word circulating more.

othervoice1
01-29-2008, 04:46 AM
Ill have to rent this from netflix to check out on my PS3- I havent seen either movie so seeing them first on blu-ray should be pretty cool

Vlachio
01-30-2008, 12:22 AM
I checked The Latarnia Forums, run by Mirek Lipinski who did the liner notes, and while there's a thread with several viewers all experiencing the same problem (http://p210.ezboard.com/fthelatarniaforumsfrm1.showMessageRange?topicID=76 8.topic&start=61&stop=72) neither Mirek or the BCI representatives who post there have commented yet. They MUST be aware of this, as it's well documents on Mirek's forum. Hopefully they'll fix this, as Night of the Werewolf is one of my favorites.

I also noticed that when I first picked up the disc I started unconsciously humming Zombie's theme music. :D

I just checked these out yesterday, and yes, it does skip from time to time. I wasn't real happy about that.

Both films did look quite good though, hopefully they'll step up and do the right thing.

So all of the discs are defective? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jason25
01-31-2008, 07:01 AM
I didn't notice it on Werewolf but others have, I'm sure if I saw it again I'd spot it. It's hard to miss on Zombie it happens so often. Reports seem to be coming from PS3 owners, is that what you watched it on Jason? That's what I watched it on.

This was on a Panasonic player. It has been a great player, so I figured it a an issue with the disc and not the player.

Hopefully we'll hear something on this. There are many more Deimos/Bci/Eclipse titles that I'd like to get on Blu-ray, if they don't have the same issues this disc has.

X-human
01-31-2008, 07:10 AM
^That's distressing as Mirek just indicated his belief in it being a specific PS3 problem:Over at Mobius there's been a bit of correction made by Bryant Frazer, the poster who had problems with the Blu-Ray disc:

"I should clarify something from my post above. I checked Zombies again the other night, and the repeat-frame problem is not apparent in frame-advance mode. (I don't know what gave me the idea it was before -- maybe there's a spot in the film where several frames actually are repeated in the transfer, I don't know.) So this smells like a problem with my PS3 hardware."

Now Mirek hardly speaks for BCI, so they may infact be aware of the real problem, but it'd be nice to know that Mirek's informed enough of the problem to report it accurately to BCI. Apparently he's not. :(

It didn't seem to me to be simply a "repeat frame" problem.

The Chaostar
01-31-2008, 12:01 PM
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews35/night_of_the_werewolf_blu-ray.htm

X-human
02-01-2008, 12:22 AM
Sister Streetfighter is freezing too: http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=25992&page=2

So that sucks, apparently the Sonny Chiba stuff is fine though.

X-human
02-09-2008, 09:21 PM
A more expert review has been given over here: http://www.lyris-lite.net/2008/02/niche_titles_come_to_bluray_wi.html

He pretty well blasts it all over. The greatest sin I feel is simply that these were probably mastered for single layered HD-DVD's.

I've been suspicious of how clean they look, especially Zombies, but I gave the benefit of the doubt and told myself "Perhaps the negatives were underused because of limited theatrical releases." I also told myself that because I knew we wouldn't be getting another shot at these anyways.

These are the first releases, I've felt the recent BCI releases have had a more natural look and feel to them. The biggest problem of course is the BCI aren't doing the masters themselves, they are getting handed them by the rights owners. So it's pretty typical of producers to try and put lipstick on a pig.

X-human
02-19-2008, 10:46 PM
HighDef Digest has updated their release list (http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/releasedates.html) with this set as coming out 2/19. I wonder if it's a re-issue? Xploited Cinema just got the Sister Streetfighter double feature (back?) in, which was another problem title, but Tony didn't update anything on the description page.

I've checked a few forums BCI frequents and there's no mention of anything. The silence from BCI on this is deafening.

X-human
03-21-2008, 05:00 PM
HighDefDigest has posted a review: http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1192/nightofthewerewolf_vengeanceofthezombies.html

They mixed up the aspect ratios on their video descriptions, saying Zombies is 1.85:1 and Werewolf is 1.37:1. Zombies is also actually OAR of 1.66:1 but BCI decided to leave it unmatted full frame since they wouldn't do an anamorphic pillarboxed transfer.

While it's nice that they gave a cult gem like this a whirl they pretty well screwed the pooch on the technical details that are the very reasons why most read these reviews. We don't need the history lesson on Paul Naschy, we need to know if it's a good presentation.

zombi3
03-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Does anyone know if the 2/19 release has corrected the discs' technical issues?