PDA

View Full Version : October Contest #3: Creature Features

rhett
10-15-2007, 09:03 PM
We'll be reviewing Creature Features all week at HORRORDVDS.COM, so we may as well be giving away copies for our contests, too! Everybody loves at least one of those movies where animals or insects strike back, whether it's mainstream like JAWS or off the beaten path like SLUGS. There's a horror movie for every animal, and all you have to do to win a prize is tell us which Creature Feature is your favorite.

We've got tons to give away, so here's the breakdown of what you could win:

http://images.dvdempire.com/gen/movies/1344741.jpg (http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.asp?userid=99365979206128&item_id=1344741&searchID=254935) http://images.dvdempire.com/gen/movies/1347271.jpg (http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.asp?userid=99365979206128&item_id=1347271&searchID=268926)

3 Winners: CUJO and ALLIGATOR on DVD

The contest will run a week until Sunday, October 21st, at which point the winners will be randomly drawn.

That's three possible gift packs, so post now and tell us your favorite Creature Feature!

Mortis
10-15-2007, 09:25 PM
Slugs rules. I used to kid Felsher about putting out a Slugs tin. I wish. :( I'd probably have to go with Phenomena because it's awesome and has Iron Maiden.

ekent
10-15-2007, 09:38 PM
I'd have to say Night of the Creeps if that counts.

zompirejoe
10-15-2007, 09:46 PM
So many to choose from as this is my favorite genre of horror film. I'm going to go with Joe Dante's Piranha. It's a suspenseful horror movie that doesn't take itself too seriously, and yet has a lot to say about a lot of things.Some consider this movie a semi rip off of Jaws, but I don't care. It stands on it's own and manages to tap into our deepest darkest fears just like Jaws. The first time I saw it I couldn't get that damned piranha sound effect out of my head for weeks. For a close second and third I would have to say Humanoids From The Deep, and Alligator. You can pretty much say the same things about these two, but ultimately with me Piranha wins out.

indiephantom
10-15-2007, 10:00 PM
I will have to go with a true classic here--Alfred Hitchock's THE BIRDS. The movie is still mysterious and has some of my favorite sequences in all of Hitchcock's canon. Besides, if those fuckers ever got together and decided they'd had enough we'd probably be birdfeed.

I also really like Monkey Shines, The Company of Wolves (sorta counts), and of course...Jaws.

rxfiend
10-15-2007, 10:05 PM
The Killer Shews! Seeing collies dressed up like giant shrews (somewhat...lol) and attacking people is hilarious.

addicted2dvd
10-15-2007, 10:05 PM
One of my favorites would have to be Man's Best Friend...

Bloodcurdling action and spine-chilling thrills put the bite into this howling sci-fi shocker starring Ally Sheedy ('High Art', The 'Breakfast Club') and Lance Henriksen ('Scream 3', 'Aliens'). When an ambitious news journalist (Sheedy) breaks into a genetic research facility, she uncovers the biggest story of her career and unleashes the lab's most dangerous experiment: Max - a genetically enhanced guard dog with a vicious killer instinct. Superior sight, hearing, strength, and intelligence make him faster, stronger, and smarter than almost any other animal alive - and deadlier. Without the neuropathic drugs needed to curb his aggressive nature, his predatory urge runs out of control... and once he tastes blood, nothing can stop him.

MorallySound
10-15-2007, 10:14 PM
I gotta go with Kingdom of the Spiders. It's tons of fun, has tons of eight-legged freaks, and has the Shatner. It's thrills-spills-chills abound! Classic drive-in fare, as that is definately the screen that the creature-feature is meant to be seen on. As you're supposed to be away from home, trapped in your car, and at any moment a animal or insect mutant can attack you!

onebyone
10-15-2007, 10:17 PM
Jaws, because it permanently changed how I see the ocean. Seriously, you can still forget about me going for a swim far out in the ocean. Not going to happen. I just know as soon as I got out there, the music would start and I was be Jaws bait. Screw that. It is really one of a handful of movies to scare me so much that it changed my actual life.

maybrick
10-15-2007, 10:19 PM
DAY OF THE ANIMALS! Woo-hoo! :D

Slow
10-15-2007, 10:23 PM
wow tough call here. I'm going with MorallySound and saying Kingdom of the Spiders. I remember watching that movie as a kid with my father and loving it and buying the DVD years later and enjoying it just as much as I ever did. That final shot always gave me chills.

gyhorrorfan07
10-15-2007, 10:30 PM
I'll go with Slither. It was a great mix of horror and comedy and reminiscent of another creature favorite of mine, Night of the Creeps. Gore, killer parasitic worms... works for me.

RyanPC
10-15-2007, 10:43 PM
The Birds, no contest. It's an absolute masterpiece from the master of suspense. I adore everything about the movie. Tippi Hedren's performance is remarkable and the set pieces are fabulous, particularly the jungle gym sequence and the attack at the end.

wago70
10-15-2007, 10:43 PM
GIANT SPIDER INVASION - One major spider, hundreds of little ones, an Elvis-inspired leisure suit-clad Barbara Hale...one of the funnest 90 minutes or so ever spent on a movie.

bigdaddyhorse
10-15-2007, 11:13 PM
If Night of the Creeps counts (they are slugs, albiet alien slugs) that wins hands down. If we're just talking normal nature run amok, then Alligator is probably my favorite. The genre is full of masterpieces either way.

BTW Rhett, in fairness to all other posters, and since I own both of these discs anyway (I'm not that good of a guy:D ), please don't enter me into this contest, or re-randomize someone else if I happen to hit again. Seeing how I just placed in the last one and all. I know it's unlikely but I'm on a motherfuckin' role!:banana:

Cujo108
10-15-2007, 11:32 PM
Long Weekend. Before the days of DVD, this was one of my most surprising discoveries, and to this day it remains one of my favorite films. It's slow build-up of dread through use of unnerving noises and bizarre occurrences really gets under one's skin. The hints at something supernatural add further unease. There are no cheesy animal attacks here. The few attacks that we do get are raw and believable, particularly that of the eagle. There aren't many films as creepy as this one, and the fact that it takes place in such gorgeous locales while retaining such an eerie mood... well, it really speaks of the film's power. Throw in the film's potent ecological message, a perfect score and a delicious sense of irony, and you have one of the unsung masterpieces of the genre.

Runners-up are Phase IV (release it on DVD, dammit!) and Cujo.

old-boo-radley
10-15-2007, 11:37 PM
Frogs!

satans-sadists
10-15-2007, 11:46 PM
I really love this style of horror film, regardless of the budget. My favorite would have to be DAY OF THE ANIMALS, more than anything for its sheer outrageousness. Every member of the animal kingdom is out for blood! Leslie Nielsen and his wrestling skills deserve an honorary award for this movie.

So many other runner rup favorites for me including: SSSSSSS, Grizzly, Kingdom of the Spiders, Devil Dog: Hound of Hell, Night of the Lepus, The Swarm, Alligator, and of course Jaws.

_pi_
10-15-2007, 11:51 PM
I'm insanely in love with Arachnophobia. I just think that film is so much fun!

And Congo. If that film counts as a creature feature (with its crazy "gray gorillas" etc.), then that film is for sure my favorite! :D

dwatts
10-16-2007, 12:00 AM
Space Ostrich/Eagle/Emu's. Definately. You'll find one in The Giant Claw. ARGH!

fattyjoe37
10-16-2007, 12:02 AM
Jaws. The one that started the trend is still the best in my opinion.

I'm also a fan of the remake of Willard starring Crispin Glover.

Numania
10-16-2007, 12:14 AM
It may be mainstream, but it is one of the greatest movies ever...JAWS!

RobertMatthews
10-16-2007, 12:21 AM
Tarantula is the movie I really like. The creature is made so lovely and the idea with the serum and what happens to people when they take it is still unmatched.

I also like Formicula, because I have seen it as a child and have still the chilling childhood memories of that movie (the sounds of the ants gave me the creeps).

DopeChamberX
10-16-2007, 01:09 AM
Such a hard one to decide!!

I'm going to have to go with Empire of the Ants. Just rewatched this the other day and it was just as cheesy as I remeber it when I was young. Joan Collins being terrorized by giant ants you say?? I'm there!!

I have to give an honorable mention to Ants!. I found this at a grocery store in a 2-pack with Tarantulas: The Deadly Cargo for $6 and the quality on it is amazing. It's just another one I loved from when I saw it at a young age. :D

spawningblue
10-16-2007, 01:18 AM
I'm going to have to go with Jaws. One of my favourite movies ever, and one that I will watch anytime whether it is on TV or just watching the DVD for the hundredth time. Love everything about it from the great story and acting to the chilling score. Some say it's not a horror movie, I disagree, it's a giant shark killing people for god's sake!

Honorable mention goes to Alligator and Slugs.

Rocker416
10-16-2007, 01:30 AM
I'm gonna go with Alligator.

jac13
10-16-2007, 01:31 AM
I'll have to say The Birds. It's my wife's favorite also.

Ash J. Williams
10-16-2007, 01:33 AM
Creepshow; the fifth segment.

Egg_Shen
10-16-2007, 02:08 AM
I'm another one for Jaws, although The Birds and Them! are high on my list as well.

incognito
10-16-2007, 02:21 AM
Jaws for many reasons:
The fact that everytime I go go the beach, at some point, I look around just to make sure there are no evil sharks around.
The famous 'Jaws shot' (Dolly in while zooming out) has been replicated several times, including once in my early short film.
The fact that Speilberg created such a suspenseful masterpiece with a rather moderate budget.
Just for the sheer entertainment value of the film.

legz
10-16-2007, 02:47 AM
There are way too many Creature Features to choose from for me. Right now I have to go with Peter Jackson's King Kong. Also in the running for me was Jurrasic Park, Squirm, and Creepshow. If I thought about it longer I could come up with many more.

Livingdead102
10-16-2007, 03:05 AM
I'll go with Jurassic Park. It was my favorite movie for a long time when it first came out, and I still think the fx are some of the best around.

jefff
10-16-2007, 03:09 AM
Mine is Squirm. This movie is just insane ammounts of fun, and incredibly well made to boot. Jeff Lieberman rules!

DrHerbertWest
10-16-2007, 03:21 AM
Jaws is probably my favorite but Grizzly is a close second. I had a blast with that movie! Devil Dog is great too but for different reasons.

BroodingHope
10-16-2007, 03:58 AM
I'd have to say either Grizzly or Slugs. Both are the cheesiest of 80's cheese.

eric_angelus
10-16-2007, 04:07 AM
I love so many of these movies...but if I have to pick a favorite I would go with The Nest. Gotta love the catroach!

othervoice1
10-16-2007, 04:35 AM
once again a hard choice- on this one im gonna cheat and give a tie between Peter Jacksons King Kong and Jaws - Jurassic Park would be right up there too

17thJuggalo
10-16-2007, 04:38 AM
The Deadly Spawn gets my vote. I was expected some low budget, cheesy flick after the opening sequence, but what I found was a film that was actually a bit scary and had awesome effects! Just a really good film and I wish I had picked it up sooner.

WhatTHEhell19
10-16-2007, 05:18 AM
If it counts then I gotta go with Night of the Creeps. That movie is just so much fun.

If it doesn't count then I'm going with Jaws. It's just a all around great movie.

Shock Waves
10-16-2007, 05:38 AM
I always had a soft spot for the low budget.

I'll go with The Black Scorpion. The effects were by the great Willis O'Brien.

Katatonia
10-16-2007, 05:44 AM
Kingdom of the Spiders, always fun cheese...and Shatner!

allmessedup
10-16-2007, 05:59 AM
I have a love for THE KILLER SHREWS also....and don't forget, it's got Roscoe P. Coltrane as the lead!

I always liked the quote in the Golden Turkey Award book--"Don't laugh, it's no fun being chewed to death by a dog wearing a mask."

Erick H.
10-16-2007, 06:18 AM
JAWS is my pick,it is embedded in the psyche of everyone who has ever seen it.If you swim in the ocean,you WILL think about it,and God forbid something brushes against your leg while you're out there.
A great cast and for once the human interaction is more important than the effects.

thrashard76
10-16-2007, 07:04 AM
I think Jaws is my favorite "when animals attack" movie because I always seem to watch this movie when it's on tv even though I already own the DVD. Jaws has lots of things that work well for it. Humor, action, decent plot and casting just to name a few.

Xtro_13
10-16-2007, 07:05 AM
For some reason, I have a soft spot for "Humanoids from the Deep". Maybe because it dares to show you what the creature from the black lagoon actually did to the ladies.

Luna
10-16-2007, 07:49 AM
Hmm, I've been tossing around The Fly and The Birds around in my head but I think I'll have to go with the latter because that's one movie that still gets in my head every so often when I see a flock of birds migrating or hovering in large groups around the neighborhood. In fact, not too long ago, I saw a line of what seemed to be hundreds of birds along telephone wire, on traffic lights, just perched everywhere, and it all came flooding back to me. So yeah, The Birds for me.

bwana the clown
10-16-2007, 07:49 AM
Arachnophobia

This is possibly the only movie that (no matter how many times I see it) actually makes me vocalise my terror! Spiders freak me the hell out and this movie just pushes all my buttons ever so sadistically. God knows why I don't have the DVD yet....think I'll have to go shopping tomorrow.

Johnny Macabre
10-16-2007, 12:04 PM
As much as I would like to be original, I can't lie to myself!! I choose JAWS because it's got it all: horror, comedy, suspense, action, adventure... It is the best of it's kind!

geeare
10-16-2007, 12:31 PM
"Creature from the Black Lagoon" . . if that counts. If not I would say "Lake Placid" has become my favourite over the past few years.

Gore Lunatic
10-16-2007, 01:50 PM
Cujo. That was my favorite as a kid and still is.

Nightbreed
10-16-2007, 02:00 PM
I would have to say Snake Head Terror would be my #1 pick

baggio
10-16-2007, 02:43 PM
Great question, so many that I like. I would have to go with:

Food of The Gods

With Them , Empire of the Ants , & Piranha a close second :)

SpaceAce
10-16-2007, 02:54 PM
definately JAWS. There are others I like that are fun and cheesy, but Jaws really is my fave. Something about not being able to see what is under the water and something lurking there is scary. Easily wins for nature run amok films.

uradouche
10-16-2007, 04:01 PM
Arachnophobia

Have to - I friggin HATE spiders - and this was a lot of fun when I was a kid!

Mok
10-16-2007, 04:29 PM
I'm going to go with Jurassic Park 1. This one really delivered beyond my expectations. I remember that although the film was really hyped, there were hardly any shots of the dinos in the trailers. Nothing could have prepared me for the awesomeness of the T-Rex scene in the rain. I really felt as though I was watching something special with that scene. The special effects blew everyone away. Jurassic Park was also the first film I had been to where the entire audience was screaming with fright. The one scene where the Vellociraptor tries to get Sam Neil as he escapes into the ceiling made the entire theatre jump. It was great fun.

marcx
10-16-2007, 04:39 PM
You just can't top Jaws--an all timne great--the diving seen where hte body pops out of the hull gets me every time....

delirium
10-16-2007, 05:44 PM
I'd have to say Jaws is my favorite. It scared me when I was a kid and it has made me have a phobia of sharks in swimming pools and the ocean (why swimming pools? I don't know...in my mind Jaws would fit through that little drain at the bottom lol) Jaws was perfectly done and everything about it is scary. No other animal monster movie has lived up to it.

ZoSo
10-16-2007, 06:13 PM
http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4761&stc=1&d=1192554782

LivingDeadMafia
10-16-2007, 08:44 PM
gonna have to go with Jaws

maskull
10-16-2007, 10:17 PM
Well Jaws is one of my favourite movies. It freaked me out as a kid, it freaks me out today. I'm still not crazy about swimming because of that movie. Of course it also started my obsession with sharks so I guess that's a good thing. Obsessions are healthy right?

rhett
10-16-2007, 11:15 PM
ZoSo is an asset to this forum. It's amazing how all things in our culture can ultimately be related back in some way to Britney's vagina. It's like the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon game for the 00's.

thrashard76
10-17-2007, 12:27 AM
ZoSo is an asset to this forum. It's amazing how all things in our culture can ultimately be related back in some way to Britney's vagina. It's like the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon game for the 00's.Yeah and instead of Kevin it's Britney, and instead of bacon there's bits. So Six Degrees To Britney's Bits is now born....where's KFed??? :eek2:

Ecstatica
10-17-2007, 02:21 AM
I'll go with Arachnophobia too because it's a really fun movie and it scares me so much. I hate spiders.

gutterjim
10-17-2007, 06:23 AM
Hands down, Creature from the Black Lagoon.

I love the interpretation of him in Monster Squad but the classic monster always creeps me out.

WitchHunter
10-17-2007, 04:45 PM
Easily Jaws. changed the feeling in the ocean forever.
The Fly would be my next choice as a more straight up horror. Movie creeps me out.
There's just too many to list really.

BloodMan
10-18-2007, 05:31 AM
Piranha... for the peculiar way McCarthy says "Piranha"... and the way those fish don't swim like fish... they just sorta coast along... and the sound... hahaha... Great movie! Joe Dante signed my DVD!!

BBQ
10-19-2007, 02:15 AM
I'd have to go with the original Godzilla. Atomic tests in the Pacific awaken huge indestructible dinosaur that comes back and lays waste to Japan. The message here is clear: You mess with Mother Nature, Mother Nature's gonna mess with YOU! And by the way, I mean the subtitled Japanese version, which is way better than the American release.

I find it hard to believe no one's mentioned "Night of the Lepus" yet. Giant bunny hordes on the loose! Hilarious!

shithead
10-19-2007, 12:15 PM
<The answer is in the avatar, i live near where it was filmed.

BrianR1982
10-19-2007, 08:11 PM
I have to choose Humanoids From The Deep, but Jaws is really great also. I love Rob Bottin's fx work on the Humanoids.

CasEjonz
10-20-2007, 07:06 AM
There was a very frightening Water Buffalo dressed up in leather in the movie "Exit to Eden" Was a pretty jarringsight if I recall correctly. But Jaws was the best creature feature, As a kid, I remember seeing this film any chance I got, cinema, drive in, TV, "starcase" still a timeless film.
Honorable mention: Grizzly and Alligator, great stuff when little kids "Take on for the team" and both films make full fodder of the youngsters

Workshed
10-21-2007, 10:34 PM
Great post by onebyone, and I agree. Jaws really changed (and continues to change) the way people feel about swimming, be it in the ocean or even swimming in general. That film had/has wide, wide impact on the social consciousness. I think about how many times I jump in the water and let my feet dangle, there is always that feeling of "Is there something down there?" Of course, there is always the fear of the unknown, especially in the dark depths of a lake, etc., but swimming was never the same after I saw Jaws--hell, after I saw that poster. And how many times--to this day--when you swim, does someone imitate the duh-nah-duh-nah-duhnahduhnahduhnah score? Amazing.

Nevertheless, I'm going to toss out a human bone for Black Sheep, which I saw over the weekend. It's not my favorite, but it was very funny, and it gets kudos for using sheep(!) as its menace. We haven't run out of ideas yet, folks! :lol:

Agent Z
10-21-2007, 11:30 PM
I'd have to say Jaws is my favorite. It scared me when I was a kid and it has made me have a phobia of sharks in swimming pools and the ocean (why swimming pools? I don't know...in my mind Jaws would fit through that little drain at the bottom lol) Jaws was perfectly done and everything about it is scary. No other animal monster movie has lived up to it.

Don't forget bathtubs, as I had trouble staying in my bubble bath as a kid because I was convinced that Jaws was going to find his way into the tub! I think my mom gave up and I just did the old sponge bath by the bathroom sink that night since I wouldn't stay in the tub.

If I think about it, I can still freak myself out while in a swimming pool, especially if I'm by myself and/or swimming at night. :nervous:

moogong
10-21-2007, 11:58 PM
I will have to go for Jaws. I swim. Sharks swim. Before I saw this movie there was a chance sharks and I could meet. Now that I have seen the movie...not so much a chance unless sharks develop a taste for Starbucks.

rhett
10-22-2007, 08:50 AM
Another fine contest! There were plenty of suggestions off the beaten path, and ones that I've since added to my "to see" list. Thanks for participating everyone!

And now...the winners:

Shock Waves
zompirejoe
thrashard76

Send me a private message with your contact information and out the discs will go!

Stay tuned tomorrow, for not one, but two new contests. Happy Halloween!

Luna
10-22-2007, 08:51 AM
Woo woo! Congrats, guys! :banana:

Hellbilly
10-22-2007, 08:56 AM
Congrats! :)

addicted2dvd
10-22-2007, 10:43 AM
Congrats to the winners! :)

satans-sadists
10-22-2007, 02:26 PM
Congratulations to all!

Workshed
10-22-2007, 02:27 PM
When Animals Attack! Horror films aren't really my forte, so it was great to read all the suggestions and add to my queue. Congrats to the winners!

onebyone
10-22-2007, 02:33 PM
Congrats you guys.

baggio
10-22-2007, 03:43 PM
Congrats to the winners

zompirejoe
10-22-2007, 05:01 PM
Wow, it is great to win something ! I really appreciate it as I rarely win anything. Thanks guys !:banana:

MorallySound
10-22-2007, 05:04 PM
Congrats!

spawningblue
10-22-2007, 08:43 PM
Congrats!

bigdaddyhorse
10-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Congrats to the winners, esp. Thrashard. He's put in his time here, and has great taste in music. I'm sure the others are cool too, I just don't know them mugs yet (where you been hiding for 2 years Zompire?).:D

maskull
10-22-2007, 10:26 PM
I will have to go for Jaws. I swim. Sharks swim. Before I saw this movie there was a chance sharks and I could meet. Now that I have seen the movie...not so much a chance unless sharks develop a taste for Starbucks.

I think moogong deserves some kind of prize for an awesome post. :lol:

Shock Waves
10-22-2007, 11:34 PM
Wow, I just got home from a crappy Monday at work, to see I won something!

I know it's said frequently, but I haven't won anything in years.

I've been on the forum a short time, and this is a great welcome.

Thanks, Ya'll! :banana:

othervoice1
10-23-2007, 04:37 AM
Congrats!!!!!

Erick H.
10-23-2007, 06:51 AM
Congrats,guys !

Mortis
10-23-2007, 08:25 AM
Congratulations. I was lucky enough to win the last one.

thrashard76
10-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Wow, I won?!! Badass...thanks for having this contest. Congrats to the other two winners and to everyone else who entry.

thrashard76
10-23-2007, 09:07 AM
Congrats to the winners, esp. Thrashard. He's put in his time here, and has great taste in music. I'm sure the others are cool too, I just don't know them mugs yet (where you been hiding for 2 years Zompire?).:D

Thanks dude. :cool:\nn/

Mok
10-23-2007, 06:49 PM
Hey, congrats dudes!

Jaffe
10-23-2007, 09:30 PM
I would have to say Snakes on a Plane... ha ha, jk.

I have to say Cujo as it's another childhood favorite.

Jaffe