PDA

View Full Version : Player Problems

Egg_Shen
10-21-2007, 04:32 PM
When I try to open the door to my player there’s no response. The front display reads “open”, as if the operation is taking place, but no activity. I can turn the player on and off and everything is described on the display screen, but nothing mechanical takes place. Is this the end of my CLD-D704? I really hate using my spare player because I actually have to exert energy flipping the disc! Also, I lave a LD trapped in the ol’ 704. Any help would be appreciated.

Agent Z
10-22-2007, 07:43 AM
I imagine it wouldn't hurt to email here (http://www.laserdiscservice.com/service.htm) for starters.

EDIT: Closer contacts (http://www.precisionlaserdisc.com/dealers.html):

Florida
VCR and LD Repair
2758 Sam Hardwick Blvd.
Jacksonville, FL 32246
Phone: (904) 641-9683
Fax: (904) 641-6850
Email: gary72122@aol.com
Web: members.aol.com/gary72122

Advanced Audio Design
4915 S. Tamiami Trail
Sarasota, FL 34231
Phone: (941) 925-2673
Fax: (941) 923-3690

The site itself is no longer in use, but perhaps those dealers are?

sundownrider
10-22-2007, 07:49 AM
When I try to open the door to my player there’s no response. The front display reads “open”, as if the operation is taking place, but no activity. I can turn the player on and off and everything is described on the display screen, but nothing mechanical takes place. Is this the end of my CLD-D704? I really hate using my spare player because I actually have to exert energy flipping the disc! Also, I lave a LD trapped in the ol’ 704. Any help would be appreciated.

Just take it to your local repair shop. My LD player did the same thing I got charged roughly $70. If they try charging more then that they are ripping you off!!!!

wago70
10-22-2007, 04:41 PM
Do LD players need to be lubricated every number of years?

Egg_Shen
10-22-2007, 05:15 PM
Hey, thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll look into that Jacksonville shop.

bigdaddyhorse
10-23-2007, 12:56 AM

I don't think they need to lubed, but might be wrong about that.

I do recall when chatting with a guy I met off ebay. He was selling players there, and seemed to know his shit, so I contacted him outside a few times before finally buying a player directly from him. Turns out he works on them and all that too. One thing he said that stuck with me all these years later was that it was better to buy a used player than one that has been sitting in a box for a few years unplayed. The reason is they run off a belt system, and the best thing for those belts is to get used, otherwise they harden, crack and will break. So you're better off buying a player that's been used every week for 5 years than one that has sat in a box for 3 years and never got used. I try to spin a laser every month or 2 because of that chat.

Sorry, I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with what you're going through, but figured I'd share some of my knowledge with anyone interested.:)

sundownrider
10-23-2007, 02:33 AM

Yes they need to every few years! It's easily spotted when the tray starts making noises. Mine did that but the tray still opened. I took it to have it serviced. I got lucky and didn't get charged a large amount.

hotbodynick
10-23-2007, 04:53 AM
I have a LD player problem of a different sort, maybe you guys can help.

I can put in any disc on side 1 and it will not recognize a disc is there. Put in any disc on side 2, and it starts right up.

I didn't think it made a difference if you were playing side one or side two unless it recognizes chapter numbers. Do you guys think it's a dirty laser or something wrong with the inner workings?

This started recently when I tried to play the laserdisc of Return to Two Moon Junction.

The player must've realized I'd shoveled a steaming pile of shit inside of it.