PDA

View Full Version : October Contest #4: Haunted Houses

rhett
10-22-2007, 10:15 PM
No matter how brutal the killer, or how vicious the animal, sometimes it's all about where they are committing the crime. Whether it's the Overlook Hotel or Hell House, haunted houses have had their share of impact on the genre. We've got tons of haunted house DVDs to give away, so tell us your favorite and win a prize. This is our biggest and last contest of our October Madness month, so don't miss out on winning some serious prizes!

Here's what you could win:

1st Prize: POLTERGEIST, DEMONS, DEMONS 2, RETURN TO HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL, THE BELIEVERS and NIGHT OF THE DEMONS 2 on DVD

2nd Prize: POLTERGEIST, RETURN TO HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL and NIGHT OF THE DEMONS 2 on DVD

3rd Prize: DEMONS, DEMONS 2 on DVD

4th Prize: THE BELIEVERS on DVD

Winners will be chosen on Sunday, October 28th.

So, without further ado, what's your favorite haunted house movie?

Workshed
10-22-2007, 10:22 PM
Wow, what prizes!

For me, The Changeling (1980) defines Haunted House Film. It's all atmosphere and performances, and the dignity that George C. Scott brings to the story is what sells it. The horse-riding scene? Wow.

From the opening to the ending, The Changeling is a quiet, eerie masterpiece of haunted house horror. The red ball bouncing down those steps is an image that very few viewers forget. So simple a device, it's almost laughable how well it works. It's a ball bouncing down steps! How can that scare me? It's a testament to everything working so well in the film.

bigdaddyhorse
10-22-2007, 10:30 PM
I know I'll probably get shit for this, but the House on Haunted Hill remake has to be my favorite.

Is it the best overall film? Probably not.
Best anything? Probably not.

What it is is one of the funnest flicks I've ever seen. I never thought I would be to stand Chris Kittan, but he fucking owns his role as comic relief/soothsayer so much.
Geoffery Rush slumming? He was perfect as well. Can't say that for all the cast, but enough were and the worst got offed before stinking up the screen too much.

It's my favorite HH as it's the on I go back to over and over when in the mood for something somewhat scary and very fun. Still my favorite Dark Castle film, and definitly my favorite haunted house.

Thanks for the great contests this month Rhett. It's been fun reading everyone's favorites.
Come on random generator, daddy needs a new House dvd.:D

Mortis
10-22-2007, 10:30 PM
I'll go with Hell Night.

rxfiend
10-22-2007, 10:34 PM
Poltergeist for me. That movie scarred me for life when I was a kid...hmm, maybe I should let my kids finally see it! :D

onebyone
10-22-2007, 10:34 PM
This is hard for me. I love old school haunted house stories, preferably in black and white. I could go with The Haunting or Rebecca (it's haunted in its own way), but I am going to pick The Uninvited (1944). It's so classy and well done, with great memorable characters, superb writing, incredible cinematography, and a nice sense of humor about it to boot. It's the total package.

I sure wish it was on DVD, it's ridiculous it is not.

RyanPC
10-22-2007, 10:37 PM
The Shining. I love Jack Nicholson's crazed performance and Shelley Duvall is quite underrated as his terrified wife. I've always been fascinated by the look of the movie -- it's very bright, almost sterile, which makes me feel uneasy.

I also love Poltergeist, the original The Haunting, and Burnt Offerings.

boycrieswolf
10-22-2007, 10:43 PM
I have to go with Poltergeist as well...although a close runner up would be The Legend Of Hell House.

Slow
10-22-2007, 10:45 PM
SO many haunted house movies to choose from. Hmmm, I'd probably have to go with the original House on Haunted Hill. William Castle movies are always terrific but Vincent Price made this one especially memorable.

dwatts
10-22-2007, 10:45 PM
Easily The Haunting for me. It scares the crap out of me. Positively frightening stuff. Lots of other good ones about - but The Haunting trumps them all for power.

legz
10-22-2007, 10:51 PM
The Entity for me. Closely followed by House,The Amityville Horror and Poltergeist movies.

Ash J. Williams
10-22-2007, 10:53 PM
The film that told me what I was going to be when I grew up.

The film that I watched when I was 5 years old, on the carpet in my parents' room in broad daylight, that spoke to me in ways that I had never experienced before, that I've watched... so many times, I've lost count.

The film that was so horrific its very legacy is said to be cursed.

I speak, of course, of Poltergeist; the best film Steven Spielberg has ever directed, and the film that the quintessential hack, Tobe Hooper, wishes he could have his name on - legitimately.

There can be no other.

_pi_
10-22-2007, 10:55 PM
Poltergeist for me. I adore that film.

I also really love The Innocents, The Shining, The Haunting (original AND remake, yeah just shoot me). There's loads more ... But Poltergeist takes the cake and greedily eats it.

delirium
10-22-2007, 10:56 PM
My favorite hanted house would be not so much of a house, but an institution. Mine is from Session 9. What a creepy place to be and have to stay.

If I have to stick by the rules of a house, I'd go with Poltergeist. Any house that ends up eating itsself, has a creepy tree outside, and has clowns that scare me for the rest of my life...then i'd have to say it's a good one.

satans-sadists
My favorite haunted house movie is THE HAUNTING (1963). Still so perfectly effective without having to shove any ghosts in the viewer's face. The four main characters are real three dimensional people and specifically Julie Harris has got to be one of the most sympathetic figures ever portrayed in a horror film.

Also really love The Shining (1980) and The Legend of Hell House.

eiker_ir
a 1991 made for TV movie called The Haunted, one of the creepiest movies i've ever seen

baggio
10-22-2007, 11:00 PM
I will half to go with The Innocents . Its one the better haunted house films out there.

maskull
10-22-2007, 11:22 PM
Poltergeist scared the bejeezus out of me as a kid. That damn clown, that frakkin' old tree, the pool.....I couldn't sleep for a week after watching that movie. Still freaks me out to this day, but at least I can sleep now after watching it.

gyhorrorfan07
10-22-2007, 11:24 PM
Hmmm... There are some very good haunted house films that I've seen. But if I had to choose, without a doubt, it's Poltergeist for me. It's a classic and timeless haunted house flick that never gets old after watching numerous times. It's a well directed and creepy film. The characters were very likable, especially Heather O' Rourke (RIP) as Carol Anne; she was such an adorable little girl. It's a shame that Warner didn't try very hard to put out a better and more definitive SE of this great film.

LivingDeadMafia
10-22-2007, 11:25 PM
the changeling, with the haunting and poltergeist a hair behind

spawningblue
10-22-2007, 11:32 PM
The Changeling. Really scary movie that to this day creeps me out!

maybrick
10-22-2007, 11:38 PM
LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE. Bloody fantastic!

onebyone
10-22-2007, 11:39 PM
The Entity for me.

Good call. If there is a more horrifying movie that that one, I haven't seen it yet. :nervous:

philxus
10-22-2007, 11:46 PM
The Entity:evil:

Xtro_13
10-22-2007, 11:58 PM
I also have to go with The Entity. To see Barbara Hershey's tits get fondled by unseen hands...a classic scene.

soxfan666
10-23-2007, 12:03 AM
poltergeist. it was the first movie i saw in the theater.

Anaestheus
10-23-2007, 12:09 AM
I'd say "Shining" if I am only allowed one choice. But, I'd add "Legend of Hell House" if I am allowed to tie. "Session 9" comes in at third, but probably only becasue it is more recent and didn't get the opportunity to wound my impressionable psyche. And I'd probably put "The Kingdom" up there, but I haven't seen part two yet.

DrHerbertWest
10-23-2007, 12:27 AM
I really like a lot of these... Hell Night, The Changeling, The Haunting... I'm going to have to go with Poltergeist, though. Nobody and I mean NOBODY tops Craig T. Nelson in his 1980's stride. Period.

addicted2dvd
10-23-2007, 12:43 AM
I think I would have to say Rose Red.... one of my favorite Stephen King Miniseries... as well as one of my favorite Haunted House movies.

Ecstatica
10-23-2007, 12:49 AM
That one is easy because it is also my favorite movie: The Shining. It's a perfect film to me.

indiephantom
10-23-2007, 12:56 AM
POLTERGEIST. Thank you Spielberg (and Hooper) for creating a work that allowed me to scare the crap out of the other kids on the block, and my favorite childhood babysitter. The film is so well photographed, acted, and scripted. I really wish the sequels had been better, but they have moments. I would say my runners up are most of the AMITYVILLE films.

Reverenddave
10-23-2007, 12:59 AM
My favorite was The Haunting. It's the best horror film of all time.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned either The Woman In Black or Ghostwatch yet. Two excellent haunted house films.

Shock Waves
10-23-2007, 01:03 AM
I really enjoyed The Changling and Legend of Hell House.

My favorite though is a dead heat tie between The Uninvited and The Haunting (1963).

zompirejoe
10-23-2007, 01:17 AM
The Haunting is my favorite haunted house movie. Still scary to this day, and not much of anything is shown. Suspense and suggestion go a long way in this one. I love The Shining, Poltergeist, and Night of the Demons as well.

allmessedup
10-23-2007, 01:25 AM
I'll go with THE HAUNTING, but it's a tough pick--lots of great ones in this area. I enjoy the original 13 GHOSTS a lot too, but it's not really all that scary. THE HAUNTING was another one where I got creeped out just by reading Stephen King's descriptions of it in DANSE MACARBRE.

MorallySound
10-23-2007, 01:34 AM
Poltergeist for me. I grew up watching this movie. Great atmosphere, great acting, great story, great cinematography. You can't tell a good ghost story in a shitty movie, it just doesn't work. In order for a good haunted house/ghost story, everything has to be top notch in order for it to be pulled off. Unlike a slasher movie, where you can have horrible acting and the movie is still tonnes of fun to watch because of all the carnage on screen, a scary haunted house/ghost story has to be great in order for it to work. Otherwise it fails miserably. And Poltergeist excels at that. A close second would definitely have to go to The Shining.

old-boo-radley
10-23-2007, 01:49 AM
Ghost Story. Bush, baby, BUSH!!!

DopeChamberX
10-23-2007, 01:52 AM
Poltergeist followed very closely by Session 9

fattyjoe37
10-23-2007, 02:10 AM
Poltergeist, easily. To me it is the closest to a perfect haunted house film.

geeare
10-23-2007, 02:20 AM
The Changeling but I also really enjoy The Shining.

jefff
10-23-2007, 02:25 AM
House On Haunted Hill (1958) hands down. It's been one of my favorites since I was 6 or 7 years old, and my love for it has never faded. William Castle and Vincent Price at their absolute best.

Johnny Macabre
10-23-2007, 02:38 AM
The Innocents for me!! The movie is scary in such a subtle way and love that!! Haunting in more than one way!!

KamuiX
10-23-2007, 02:50 AM
I'm not a HUGE fan of haunted house films, to be honest, but heads above the rest is definitely The Innocents from 1961. It's a great film based on a great novel, and it's creepy as hell, as well as makes you think.

Hellbilly
10-23-2007, 02:52 AM
Poltergeist (1982). Simply one of the best haunted house movies ever made.

moogong
10-23-2007, 02:55 AM
Poltergeist. I first saw it when some slutty babysitter my parents put in charge of me stuck it in the VCR before she disappeared in our house with her boyfriend. I would have cramps in my legs every morning for months aftewards due to sleeping with my knees to my chin. No way in hell I as going to take a chance that crazy clown dragging me under the bed.

Shock Waves
10-23-2007, 03:14 AM
No way in hell I as going to take a chance that crazy clown dragging me under the bed.

Well said moogong! Crazy creepy clown stuff, that! :nervous:

Suicide
10-23-2007, 04:51 AM
I was going to say The Changeling but Reverenddave made me remember Ghostwatch, so I'm going with that. I never saw the original broadcast and just saw it for the first time very recently (like 2 or 3 months ago), it still managed to scare me quite a bit.

shithead
10-23-2007, 05:05 AM
The original House on Haunted Hill.

WhatTHEhell19
10-23-2007, 05:09 AM
The Shining was my favorite haunted house flick. A close second would be the original House on Haunted Hill

Lone Wolf
10-23-2007, 05:14 AM
I have to go with Poltergeist.

eric_angelus
10-23-2007, 05:20 AM
A really tough call here, but my choice would be The Shining (1980). It just such a great job of capturing that desolate, snowed in hopeless feeling...and those classic images Shelly Duvall sees as she runs around near the ending...especially the guy with the bear suit thing...are some of the creepiest things I have ever seen.

othervoice1
10-23-2007, 05:34 AM
Ill go with Night of the Demons- I love that movie and its technically about a haunted house

Katatonia
10-23-2007, 06:00 AM
The Changeling is one of the few "Haunted House" horror films that I can truly say has terrified me. After seeing it for the first time in the late-80's it hasn't lost any of its impact. I always have a great time watching the flick.

The Shining, Poltergeist and The Legend of Hell House are all next on my list!

BloodMan
10-23-2007, 06:12 AM
"Poltergeist" definately!!!...
followed closely behind by the fun japanese horrorfest "Sweet Home" :)

jefff
10-23-2007, 06:49 AM
A really tough call here, but my choice would be The Shining (1980). It just such a great job of capturing that desolate, snowed in hopeless feeling...and those classic images Shelly Duvall sees as she runs around near the ending...especially the guy with the bear suit thing...are some of the creepiest things I have ever seen.

Manbearpig!

Mazurka Macabre
10-23-2007, 07:25 AM
The Uninvited if we're talking strict definitions of the haunted house. In my other favorite haunted house flicks... the houses aren't haunted by anything other than killers.

Erick H.
10-23-2007, 07:35 AM
THE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE is an underrated gem.Directed by John Hough,this atmospheric little number is a creepy classic.Roddy Macdowell (at his best),Clive Revell(who voiced The Emperor in THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK before George Lucas learned how to rewrite movie history with editing and CGI),Gayle Hunnicut and the great Pamela Franklin (where did you go,Pam ?) star as a team of experts investigating the super haunted house of a wealthy(deceaced) sadist/pervert ,and find more terror than they can handle.Nice,low tech special effects and a great use of sound make this one a shuddery experience.Great acting.If you've never seen it,check it out,it's old school without being old hat.

Luna
10-23-2007, 08:43 AM
Hm, I've been thinking about this for hours now but I'm really having a hard time choosing, mostly among old B&W movies because those are somehow most effective for me. I think it's the rich contrast, shadows and all that which appeal to me. The Changeling was another strong option but you just can't go wrong with Vincent Price so my choice is House On Haunted Hill. :D

bwana the clown
10-23-2007, 08:55 AM
Once again I have to give Fulci some lovin' and pick House By The Cemetery. While not as scary as many of the movies already mentioned, for a Fulci film it does have some genuinely creepy moments and oozes atmosphere, while still managing to pack in plenty of gore.

And of course it gets bonus points for Bob!

dwatts
10-23-2007, 09:04 AM
House On Haunted Hill.

Good movie, but this one actually makes me laugh more than frightens me. hence my choice earlier.

ThievingWinona
10-23-2007, 09:13 AM
The Innocents is my personal fave.

Runner-up would be Hold That Ghost by Abbott and Costello.

Luna
10-23-2007, 09:38 AM
Good movie, but this one actually makes me laugh more than frightens me. hence my choice earlier.Understandable. :D

Slow
10-23-2007, 09:42 AM
If it had been scariest haunted house film I would have chosen something different but yeah favorite all around is House like Luna.

thrashard76
10-23-2007, 10:13 AM
I think Amityville is probably the big one when it comes to haunted houses. There have been many sequels, some good and some not but when I want to get freaked out by a haunted house story, that's the movie I wanna watch.

HoldenMcNeil
10-23-2007, 11:47 AM
House. hilarious, crazy witch bitches, and bad ass Vietnam vets. And that cover art is still awesome today. What more do you want?

Gore Lunatic
10-23-2007, 12:37 PM
There's a lot of good ones out there but I'll go with The Amityville Horror (1979). The ghost in that house was extremely violent and demonic. The Changeling, The Entity, The Haunting and Ju-on are all great Haunted House films as well.

Nightbreed
10-23-2007, 04:42 PM
Another for Session 9 that place scared the piss out of me. with the Hull House from Night of The Demons at a close second.

uradouche
10-23-2007, 06:04 PM
Does Fulci's The Beyond count? That was mostly in a house.

Have to say Poltergeist is my favorite of course.
Also like The Grudge (original and extra crispy)

Jaffe
10-23-2007, 10:14 PM
I would have to say Poltergeist... a childhood favorite.

Though it's not really a haunted "house" I really enjoyed the latest Stephen King adaptation 1408.

Jaffe

Spit
10-24-2007, 12:05 AM
Poltergeist, i remember watching it at a friends house for the first time when i was 7 or 8, really flipped me out at the time. Now every time I see the film, it doesn't seem scary, but I remember that feeling of just being horrified as a small child.

xdiggler
10-24-2007, 03:16 AM
GHOST STORY!!!
Great story, great acting and nice tits!!

BrianR1982
10-24-2007, 05:32 AM
My favorite would be The Shining. Expansive and isolated, the Overlook Hotel is a great haunted house.

gutterjim
10-24-2007, 05:48 AM
The original House on Haunted Hill wins my pick.
It's still creepy and spooky to this day and you can't go wrong with the amazing Vincent Price!

SpaceAce
10-24-2007, 06:05 PM
Hell Night for sure......Always loved the mansion the atmosphere etc..

VincentPrice
10-24-2007, 07:57 PM
This is a hard one but I'm gonna go with The Haunting, the standard-bearer for all Haunted House movies.

Numania
10-24-2007, 11:15 PM
Session 9. That movie goddamn rules and it has the single greatest David Caruso moment.

BroodingHope
10-25-2007, 05:35 AM
Ever since I was a kid the Legend of Hell House freaked me out beyond words.

nosmoke
10-25-2007, 02:11 PM
Wow, that's a hard one.
I have to say that I enjoyed reading the previous posts, and I agree that the films mentioned are really great.

I'm not sure if you can count it as a haunted house movie, but the cabin in "Evil Dead 2" looked pretty haunted at the scene with the laughing moose and lampshade.

In addition, although the house wasn't the point of the film, you can't say that the couple in "Beetle Juice" weren't haunting their house - and I LOVE this film.

But if I need to pick a real "serious" haunted house film, I think that I'll pick (and I'm sure that most of you will hate for saying that) the American version of "The Grudge". I think that I like it mostly because I have convinced my girlfriend to watch this film with me at the cinemas, and she closed her eyes most of the film :-)

Livingdead102
10-25-2007, 03:16 PM
The Changeling, for all the reasons listed above. A stellar movie.

Rocker416
10-26-2007, 03:11 AM
I'm going with Hell Night............love those Garth Manor mutants!

sundownrider
10-27-2007, 02:49 AM
Cathy's Curse for me the plotline is pretty simple. The daughter of a man (Scarfe) whose sister perished in a car wreck becomes possessed by the spirit of the long-dead sister. Scarfe's character tries to marshall the situation but its creepiness gets to everyone.

Slow
10-27-2007, 02:50 AM
haha do people realize Hell Night is a slasher and not even close to a haunted house film? I was just wondering is all.

sgarner666
10-27-2007, 05:07 PM
The Shining - love Nicholson in that

Gnaghi
10-27-2007, 10:56 PM
poltergeist

krugerkid13
10-28-2007, 01:22 AM
Legend of Hell House

ZoSo
10-28-2007, 04:33 AM
HERE'S JOHNNY!
http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4775&stc=1&d=1193538789

thrashard76
10-28-2007, 07:20 AM
HERE'S JOHNNY!
http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4775&stc=1&d=1193538789

Haunted hooch...:lol:

Vlachio
10-28-2007, 10:05 AM
Casper the movie was the shit. Now send me free shit Rhett!!!

RobertMatthews
10-28-2007, 08:28 PM
My favourite haunted house movie is the one and only "Burnt Offerings". The end still give me the creeps :)

VenicuS
10-28-2007, 11:24 PM
Mine has to to be the original '64 version of "The Haunting". Really spooky stuff, and great to watch with all the lights off on a dark and stormy night. One of these days, I'll get around to reading Shirley Jackson's book "The Haunting of Hill House". Oh, and thanks, Zoso, now I'm never gonna get to sleep tonight. ::shudder::

rhett
10-29-2007, 10:37 AM
80 different submissions - the most yet!

These contests have been great, and hopefully they can be used for a long time to come the next time someone is in need of a good haunted house, creature feature, slasher or living dead movie.

But without further ado, the winners of our final big October contest:

1st Place: Shock Waves
2nd Place: Baggio
3rd Place: Slow
4th Place: DrHerbertWest

Winners, send me a private message with your shipping details and I'll have the discs out to you immediately.

Congrats to all, and thanks for making this a great month, everyone!

Now go and participate in our Special Halloween Contest (http://horrordvds.com/modules.php?name=News&file=showarticle&threadid=35229)!

Luna
10-29-2007, 12:49 PM
Congrats guys and gal! :banana:

onebyone
10-29-2007, 01:27 PM
It's a fine bunch of winners. Congrats.

Workshed
10-29-2007, 02:54 PM
Congratulations! Fun entries and great prizes.

geeare
10-29-2007, 03:30 PM
gratz all

Hellbilly
10-29-2007, 05:41 PM
Congrats! :banana:

satans-sadists
10-29-2007, 05:48 PM
Congratulations to all! :glasses:

MorallySound
10-29-2007, 06:23 PM
Congrats!

gutterjim
10-29-2007, 11:12 PM
congrats to the winners!

Mortis
10-30-2007, 05:53 AM
Congrats. I see at least one person got lucky as shit and won again.

Slow
10-30-2007, 06:54 AM
YAY ME!!

Congrats to everyone else ;)

Erick H.
10-30-2007, 07:30 AM
Congrats guys !

thrashard76
10-30-2007, 03:19 PM
Congrats everyone.

DrHerbertWest
10-31-2007, 08:32 PM
Congrats guys (and lady)... I just popped my Contest Winning cherry on HorrorDVDs.com! I need to get a t-shirt made.

bigdaddyhorse
10-31-2007, 10:05 PM
Congrats all, winning is cool.