PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil Trilogy on BluRay

Reverenddave
10-24-2007, 01:59 AM
The other two Resident Evil movies are going to be released on BluRay this January 2nd. There will also be a trilogy box set.

The $59.98 MSRP is a nice price for the box set. That should be around $40 at Amazon.

Sony has announced it will ring in the new year with the mutant zombies of 'Resident Evil,' when it brings the two remaining films in the trilogy to Blu-ray this January as both stand-alone releases and in a complete box set version.

Adapted from the smash video game, the original 'Resident Evil' scared up over $100 million at the worldwide box office back in 2002, spawning a franchise that included 2004's 'Resident Evil: Apocalypse,' and this year's 'Resident Evil: Extinction,' which has been billed as the last in the trilogy.

Although Sony issued the second film in the series on Blu-ray this past January, the first film had (until now) been MIA, and 'Extinction' is only now just winding down its run in theaters. That will all change on January 2nd (a rare Wednesday release, a day after the New Year's holiday), when Sony will unleash both 'Resident Evil' and 'Extinction' in stand-alone versions, as well as a complete 'Resident Evil Trilogy' box set containing all three films.

The studio hasn't provided any tech specs or supplemental details yet on either of the new 'Resident Evil' releases, but a full press release is expected in the coming days. Needless to say, we'll keep you posted.

List prices will run the gamut, from $28.98 for 'Resident Evil,' $39.98 for 'Resident Evil: Extinction,' and $59.98 for the complete 'Resident Evil Trilogy.'

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Sony/Disc_Announements/Resident_Evil_Trilogy_Headed_to_Blu-ray/1094

X-human
10-25-2007, 07:16 PM
Excellent news. I already bought RE2 so I'll probably buy the individual releases unless the boxset costs equal to the cost of two.

Someone can have a pretty nice zombie marathon in HD now, with special thanks to Anchor Bay.

Blu-ray
28 Days Later
28 Weeks Later
Day of the Dead (1985)
Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn
Resident Evil
Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Resident Evil: Extinction

HD-DVD
Army of Darkness
Dawn of the Dead (Censored :( )
Land of the Dead (Unrated :) )
Shaun of the Dead

Nemesis
10-26-2007, 04:07 AM
This is all the more reason for me to make the plunge into Blu-ray... HD-dvd are falling behind imho.

Noto
10-26-2007, 05:23 AM
This is all the more reason for me to make the plunge into Blu-ray... HD-dvd are falling behind imho.

Looks like I'm buying a PlayStation 3 in 2008.

Nemesis
10-26-2007, 09:36 AM
the only reason i haven't already taken the plunge is the region coding issue :-/ i've thought about buying 2 players.. one locally and one from the US.. but that's too much hassle. i wonder if any of the existing players can be mod chipped to be region free..

my original dvd player was R4 and i had to pay an extra $250 to have it mod chipped to R0

dwatts
10-26-2007, 09:58 AM
i wonder if any of the existing players can be mod chipped to be region free.

I looked into this recently. At that time NO HD-DVD player nor Blu-Ray player can be modded.

HD-DVD proponents are quick to jump in and sell you on the idea that HD-DVD is in fact region free (as opposed to Blu-Ray). What they don't tell you is that, again at the time of my checking, there's not a single HD-DVD player that can be made region free for SD content - which is essential, imo.

Reverenddave
10-26-2007, 10:07 AM
A lot of Blu Ray discs are Region Free. You can find a list here:

http://bluray.liesinc.net/

X-human
10-26-2007, 05:59 PM
^ True, although one can not count on any Blu-ray distributor remaining region free for the long term. As far as I know Warner is the only company to have offically stated that they will not use region coding. But I'm sure region coding will be circumvent, as will BD+ more than likely.

The region coding is slightly different this time round as well. Here's the new division lines: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Blu-ray_regions_with_key.png

It's notable that Japan is now Region 1/A along with America, no longer Region 2 as they were with DVD.