PDA

View Full Version : AVS Forum, Hi-Def Meltdown.

dwatts
11-17-2007, 09:44 PM
Well, this has never happened before. :D

Anyone who's ever visited AVS Forum--probably the largest online forum for audio/visual discussion--knows that people can get carried away. And anyone who has dared to venture in the HD DVD and Blu-ray forum is well aware of rampant fanboy flame wars--the kind that used to be reserved for game consoles.

Well apparently a couple of the AV geeks have gone too far, which has led to AVS Forum moderators to completely shut down the HD DVD and Blu-ray forums until the end of the week. And in case you think it's an overreaction, check out this quote from the letter they posted to AVS members:

We have seen members attacking other members not only in debate, which is the right way, but with physical threats that have involved police and possible legal action.

Wow. The format war has gotten pretty ugly between Blu-ray and HD DVD, but this is the first instance of physical threats that we're aware of. We're also sure it's no coincidence this shutdown has occurred directly following the $99 HD DVD player sale at Wal-Mart and Best Buy--which is just like pouring gasoline on the already raging flame wars.

I can totally see how this could happen. Some people create grudges ovr forum postings and harber them for years. Shame really, no forum is worth carrying around such baggage. But fisticuffs? :lol:

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9812929-7.html

JW77
11-17-2007, 10:47 PM
DVDTalk and the HTF (moreso at the HTF) have been keeping the HD discussions on a short leash. HorrorDVDs seems to be a quiet little oasis in the format war where it's met with a thundering indifference.

It's really sort of fun to watch the various camps flip their shit over the format war when you don't yet have a stake in it.

To be quite honest, I think the only the "format war" is going to end is either both formats will go the way of the Dodo (or minidisc), or they will both survive with dual-format players becoming the standard. Which, interestingly enough, doesn't seem to be an option for either side of the hardcore fanboys. Seems to be an all-or-nothing game with those camps.

Though I have to say that the blue side seems to be crazier than the red side. Most of the vitriol seems to be coming from Blu-Ray owners... it's not a coincidence that it exploded at the same time Toshiba was blowing out HD-DVD players for under $100. The last time the format war got this hot was when Paramount dumped Blu-Ray support in favor of HD-DVD.

X-human
11-18-2007, 02:03 AM
I think both sides of the fan boys pretty much hit the lowest of the lows often enough to say that neither is better than the other in that regard. Both groups have identical threads on AVS asking members to blind buy pretty much any and all Warner titles just so that Warner will think about going exclusive to their chosen format.

I think at this point it's inevitable that HD downloading will be the sole future, cable companies are working like mad to ensure that as is Microsoft.

_pi_
11-18-2007, 02:30 AM
I think that story is funny and sad in equal measures. I honestly can't understand how people let themselves be carried away like that. About HD formats?!

Fistfuck
11-18-2007, 05:33 AM
You're right pi. It's sad when so many people are missing something in their lives that they need to identify with a piece of machinery.

Still, it's an interesting microcosm and shows why America is as fucked up as it is with partisan politics.

dwatts
11-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Still, it's an interesting microcosm and shows why America is as fucked up as it is with partisan politics.

To be fair, I've seen some very heated arguments on UK based boards too. This topic seems to have lit the fuse for many people. God knows why.

Dave
11-18-2007, 04:35 PM
As a movie buff I guess I should care, but I don't. I've mentioned it several times here but I'm just much, much pickier about what I buy these days. General rule for me to buy something is that I'm going to watch it more than once a year, or it is a favorite of mine - most of which I already own.

I've probably purchased 2 or 3 DVDs this year, max. I've received a few screeners, yes, but very few.

I want to go high def but can't see myself affording to do it until maybe sometime in 2008. $100 player or not, I still have to budget for it and there's just no room right now.

But honestly I'll admit I'm a pig in mud when it comes to having Dish Network and Monsters HD, not to mention countless other HD movie channels that come with the standard HD package. That $34.99 monthly investment ($54.99 in a few months when the promo runs out) has more than filled any desires I've had for HD movies.

Franco
11-18-2007, 05:10 PM
Why don't they just buy two players and put an end to that silly war? If it's too expensive, just save some money for two or three months and that's all.

Fistfuck
11-18-2007, 07:29 PM
To be fair, I've seen some very heated arguments on UK based boards too. This topic seems to have lit the fuse for many people. God knows why.

Definitely, man. The societal disease to associate oneself with the "winning team" is not limited to the US.

I was just seeing a connection between these irrelevant "wars" and the fanaticism that seems to come with considering oneself a liberal or conservative.

dwatts
11-18-2007, 08:17 PM
But honestly I'll admit I'm a pig in mud when it comes to having Dish Network and Monsters HD, not to mention countless other HD movie channels that come with the standard HD package. That $34.99 monthly investment ($54.99 in a few months when the promo runs out) has more than filled any desires I've had for HD movies.

Talking of saving money - I've all but given up on TV - and I certainly won't pay to watch it. No dish for me, and no cable. $35 a month is just too much to pay for watching a box controlled on someone elses schedule. I've decided to put that money into DVD and the like, preferring to own something rather than watch. And yes I know you can record from TV - but it's never the same to me. Plus, I have more time on my hands, since let's face it, most of us end up watching some nonsense either waiting for something good to come on, or because we're too lazy to turn it off. It's been a revelation easing TV out of my life.

Shock Waves
11-18-2007, 11:04 PM
Talking of saving money - I've all but given up on TV - and I certainly won't pay to watch it. No dish for me, and no cable. $35 a month is just too much to pay for watching a box controlled on someone elses schedule. I've decided to put that money into DVD and the like, preferring to own something rather than watch.

I do the same. I watch network for some sports, but thats about it.

As for the "debate" listed above, I don't really invest any emotion in it. Just a little over the top when there are Many more disturbing things going on in the world to worry about.

dwatts
11-18-2007, 11:29 PM
I do the same. I watch network for some sports, but thats about it.

Football - or Soccer to Americans, is what I missed the most. But then someone directed me to a web site that streams every game. The quality isn't great, but the price is (free).

shift
11-26-2007, 03:12 AM
Thugs in the AVS forum. hehe

Shannafey
11-26-2007, 05:22 AM
Why don't they just buy two players and put an end to that silly war? If it's too expensive, just save some money for two or three months and that's all.

Really, that's the most logical thing to do if any. I'm still waiting this one out, but you can buy a PS3 for $400 and with those HD-DVD players coming in under $200, that's a $600 investment and you won't have to worry about it, since you can play both. Like Dave, though, I'd rather put the money into an HD service and essentially get all the HD I want that way. Right now I only have the networks in HD, but I'm looking at my options. I will wait the disc format out though!!

X-human
11-26-2007, 06:08 AM
^ If it's the most logical thing to do, why are you still waiting it out? ;)

I think it's a needless waste of money to buy both, when Paramount's showed there's no loyalty to this format war I don't see why consumers should show loyalty to studios. I don't care what side they're on, I've got a HD disc player and I'm sticking to it. If they don't want my money, that's fine with me.

_pi_
11-26-2007, 06:42 AM
I've been watching a lot of DVDs on pretty big screen TVs for the past few months (I'm not sure how big exactly in inches, but they are BIG), and although I'm sure High-Def looks a lot better, these DVDs look mostly amazing. So amazing that I can't even imagine partaking in this format war while so few movies have been released and the prices are still pretty high.

KR~!
11-26-2007, 12:57 PM
I've been watching a lot of DVDs on pretty big screen TVs for the past few months (I'm not sure how big exactly in inches, but they are BIG), and although I'm sure High-Def looks a lot better, these DVDs look mostly amazing. So amazing that I can't even imagine partaking in this format war while so few movies have been released and the prices are still pretty high.

I have seen both, as good as upscaled DVDs to 1080p look, and they do look really good, it is just not the same thing as legit 1080p Blu-Ray or HD-DVD, it's crazy how much better it looks than even that or HDTV channels. It's not even close!

That said, I will not be taking any sides just yet, but I will not stick with DVD forever either.

Shannafey
11-26-2007, 07:13 PM

I agree with you Pi! I have a 47" LCD and an upconvertable player and I'm more than happy. I'll wait it out a while.