PDA

View Full Version : Tim Burton is...

rhett
12-08-2007, 09:25 PM
SWEENEY TODD is coming out soon, and already Burton has won a best director honor from the National Board of Review. Is he merely cannibalizing the themes of German Expressionism for the masses, or is he a bona fide artist worth canonizing? One of the best, one of the worst, somewhere in between...you decide.

dwatts
12-08-2007, 09:35 PM
In between. I've seen clips from Sweeney Todd and shall be giving it a wide berth.

Ash J. Williams
12-08-2007, 09:40 PM
Crap crap crap. Voted for the wrong damned thing. Meant to vote the top one, voted the one that's just barely not the top one.

Vlachio
12-08-2007, 10:23 PM
Hit and miss

maybrick
12-08-2007, 10:32 PM
He's great, but I've kind of lost faith in him since PLANET OF THE APES. He's been rather hit and miss ever since.

KR~!
12-08-2007, 11:44 PM
Hit and miss

his hits are true gems, but his misses are unwatchable

othervoice1
12-09-2007, 01:06 AM
Overall I would say "A great, visionary filmmaker" compared to most of hollywood- He does have some bad ones so it was between this and the Hit and Miss choice

DVD-fanatic-9
12-09-2007, 02:18 AM
Oh, fuck that poll result (no offense to anyone). Every filmmaker is hit and miss. But Tim Burton stands out from the crowd. Everyone knows it. And that's because he is a filmmaker with vision. Whether we always like it or not.

Spit
12-09-2007, 02:21 AM
The downfall of Tim Burton has been a sad one...Everything was all fine and dandy till about '99. Did something tramatic happen to the guy? Or did just just wake up one morning and say to himself " hmm..I'm out of good ideas, oh well I guess I'll go remake Planet of the Apes'?

DVD-fanatic-9
12-09-2007, 02:22 AM
So you think his decision to remake Planet of the Apes destroyed him? What- were you obsessed with the original movie(s)?

Spit
12-09-2007, 02:29 AM
He had a really good run of hits Beetle Juice, Batman, Edward Scissorhands, Batman Returns, Ed Wood, Mars Attacks... Honestly I wasnt really a fan of Sleepy Hollow, but it was alright.... I havent liked anything hes done after Sleepy Hollow. Burton just sort of 'fell off'.

adric
12-09-2007, 02:30 AM
hes hit and miss, but hate both batman's. i hate him but like most his movies. i do believe he is pompous and over rated though.

othervoice1
12-09-2007, 02:37 AM
The Corpse Bride was released in 2005 I believe and I loved it- wasnt the masterpiece that Nightmare before Christmas was - but it wasnt far behind IMO

maybrick
12-09-2007, 03:42 AM
So you think his decision to remake Planet of the Apes destroyed him? What- were you obsessed with the original movie(s)?

You don't have to be an obsessive fanboy of the original Apes series to realize that that was the point where Burton "jumped the shark". From start to finish, it was simply and utterly an awful, AWFUL movie. Plus on top of that, it didn't even feel like Burton's work. It positively screamed of studio intervention and "sellout".

The Chaostar
12-09-2007, 04:53 AM
Was great up until Planet.

He's not crazy anymore. He's a normal person filming crazy things. That is not the same thing.

dwatts
12-09-2007, 04:54 AM
You don't have to be an obsessive fanboy of the original Apes series to realize that that was the point where Burton "jumped the shark". From start to finish, it was simply and utterly an awful, AWFUL movie. Plus on top of that, it didn't even feel like Burton's work. It positively screamed of studio intervention and "sellout".

Did I type that?!?! ;)

geeare
12-09-2007, 05:28 AM
he's a great visionary director but I am growing very tired of the look and feel of his movies. I wish he's make a slasher, haha.

Erick H.
12-09-2007, 05:55 AM
He's a talented guy with flashes of true brilliance.He can drift into self indulgence(I was fairly amused by MARS ATTACKS,but it is essentially one big in joke),he has made films that were somewhat bloated (BATMAN RETURNS),and he should avoid purely commercial vehicles (even he admits his heart wasn't in PLANET OF THE APES).Still,he can do great work and I always check out his films on the big screen.When he's on,he's fantastic.

DrHerbertWest
12-09-2007, 06:21 AM
I think he's hit or miss but I had to vote "Great" because... Well, he's made so many damn movies that I enjoy. He had his duds, which have been mentioned here, but the fantastic outweighs the bad IMHO.

I agree with Chaostar:
He's not crazy anymore. He's a normal person filming crazy things. That is not the same thing.

thrashard76
12-09-2007, 06:37 AM
Whatever Dwatts votes for.... ;)

rxfiend
12-09-2007, 01:06 PM
I really like Burton's films especially when he has Johnny Depp on board.

Workshed
12-09-2007, 06:47 PM
Agreed that Apes and beyond has not been a very good period for Burton, particularly the cavity-inducing Big Fish. But he's done such great work otherwise that I had to vote for the second from the top option. Will give Todd a chance.

MorallySound
12-09-2007, 07:53 PM
I voted the top option, but yes, every director has some misses. Apes of course.

But when you're watching a Tim Burton movie, you know it's a Tim Burton movie. He has a distinct style and vision. Apes excluded.

bigdaddyhorse
12-09-2007, 08:57 PM
Was torn between the top 2 opitions and went with "A great, visionary filmmaker". Apes gets bashed non-stop, but I even enjoyed that one. It works as a big, loud, dumb popcorn flick. Big Fish was boring as all hell to me, but still felt like a good film, just not my cup of tea.
Sleepy Hollow, Ed Wood, Mars Attacks, Beatlejuice and even Scissorhands are all top-notch masterpeices IMO. Batman was almost destroyed after his great start of that franchise. I even wanted to hate Batman due to the hype machine, but ended up loving it when I finally watched it at a second-run theater. Loved Corpse Bride as well, so he's really only completely missed me with Nightmare Before Xmas, and that's just cuz I can't stand musicals 99% of the time.

RyanPC
12-09-2007, 11:53 PM
Luna probably loves him, especially because Danny Elfman does his soundtracks.

Gore Lunatic
12-10-2007, 11:11 AM
I enjoy a majority of his films, there's only a couple I didn't like (Planet and Big Fish). Voted Great.

DVD-fanatic-9
12-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Well I certainly can't argue with that. Instead, I'll just sort of continue where I left off before with exactly the same thing I hinted at. Tim Burton at least has the talent to make another masterpiece. Big Fish and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory might not have been it, but it will come.

Ash28M
12-10-2007, 03:22 PM
I put great but I have to admit I admire his imagination and vision more then I enjoy some of this films.

Mok
12-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Although I find him hit and miss, I went with Visionary because his highs definitely out-weigh his lows.

Bobbywoodhogan
12-10-2007, 05:43 PM
Hit and miss definitely:

Planet of the Apes, Big Fish, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Corpse Bride were awful.

Beetlejuice, Batman, Batman Returns, Edward Scissor Hands and Sleepy Holow were genius.

maybrick
12-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Sheesh, no love for Pee Wee's Big Adventure here? One of the top 5 best comedies of the 80s, imo.

satans-sadists
12-10-2007, 06:59 PM
Hit and miss for me. Planet of the Apes along with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory were such awful pointless remakes. Haven't cared for some of his other work, but those really stand out in the worst way.

I lost count how many times I've watched his first Batman. Probably my favorite Burton film, due in large part to Jack Nicholson. Ed Wood is another favorite even though much of Lugosi is historically inaccurate as depicted. Count me among the very few who really enjoyed Big Fish.

I have no interest in seeing Sweeney Todd.

Livingdead102
12-13-2007, 03:56 PM
I voted for "Hit and miss", though I would say a mix between that and "Good, but too self-consciously strange" would most accurately describe how I feel about his work. Sure I recognize that he did great things in the past and he should be proud of that, but I just can't get myself that excited about a new Tim Burton movie anymore.

And yes, my favorite Tim Burton movie is indeed "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure". My niece (6) and nephew (3) just watched it for the first time and loved it, though my overprotective sister wouldn't let them watch the Large Marge segment...

17thJuggalo
12-14-2007, 02:32 AM
Burton is simply amazing. Few directors can churn out such original and magnificent work in their careers like he can. Also, Pee Wee's Big Adventure is genius.