PDA

View Full Version : Favorite I AM LEGEND Adaptation

rhett
12-16-2007, 08:25 PM
Unofficially they've been mining Richard Matheson's "I am Legend" for years, and they've been trying to make an official film for just as long. The rights to the film have passed from everyone from Arnold to Ridley Scott, but now finally it's here courtesy of Will Smith & Co. There's some good apocalyptic films like 28 DAYS LATER and NIGHT OF THE COMET, but which is your favorite that explicitly uses the I AM LEGEND template?

DrHerbertWest
12-16-2007, 09:00 PM
I haven't seen The Omega Man or I Am Legend. I voted for The Last Man On Earth simply on the basis of Vincent Price never sucking and never coming in second place.

zompirejoe
12-16-2007, 09:20 PM
Last Man on Earth- Vincent Price is good, but I was pretty bored.
Omega Man- Entertaining, but corny.
I Am Legend- Favorite of the bunch.

Vlachio
12-16-2007, 11:00 PM
The Omega Man cheesy & pointless fun popcorn flick.

satans-sadists
12-16-2007, 11:27 PM
The Omega Man gets my vote. Last Man on Earth is great too, but it's not one of my favorite Vincent Price films.

MorallySound
12-16-2007, 11:52 PM
I've only seen The Last Man on Earth. So cannot vote just yet. If I can get a hold of Omega Man (rental) I will check that one out. Probably gonna check out I Am Legend eventually. So will vote then.

Mark Relford
12-16-2007, 11:54 PM
All three adaptations have problems. I voted for Last Man, cause it was mostly faithful to the book. It just doesn't have any "spark" to it. It's just going through the motions. Never cared for Omega Man. It's a bunch of campy crap. They should've added the POW! effects from the Batman TV show when Heston was fighting the vampi- um...mutants. I Am Legend gets the novel's mood right but suffers from lousy CGI. I can even forgive the weaker second half if it had decent looking "vampires". Maybe a fourth adaptation will get it right...

KGBRadioMoskow
12-17-2007, 01:17 AM
I voted for Last Man, cause it was mostly faithful to the book. It just doesn't have any "spark" to it. It's just going through the motions.

Maybe I'm a whore for Vincent Price, but I didn't think it had problems of that level. It seemed to catch the mood of Matheson's book decently IMO, minus a bit of Price's trademark slips into camp mode (I actually read the book again and watched the movie about a year ago, so was able to put some fresh memory personal comparison perspective on them).

Neville was well portrayed as someone fearfully trying to survive by night, with his past grief and current fear driving his vindictive hunts by day. Certain his crusade fixation was morally right and necessary, thus oblivious to the effects he was having. Price's portrayel may have seemed lacking spark, but I felt that was perfect for the level of emotional burnout such a person would have reached. Outside completing the routine checklist of his survival and task requirements, his life was empty and hopeless. Someone more emotional would probably have cracked.

Where the movie took a turn from the book, to its detriment, was his reaction to being viewed as a bloodthirsty monster of mythical proportions. In the movie Price's character was for the most part unapologetic and remained convinced he was right, and the "civilized vampires" treated him more at the level of a pest or criminal to be exterminated than a terror inspiring boogeyman (thus the 'legend'). In the book the "vampires" had worked their terror of his raids to a mythical level, and Neville came to a self awareness of his impact and why the horrified "vampires" felt he had to die.

Shannafey
12-17-2007, 02:18 AM
Last Man is most faithful to the book, but I love Omega Man. It is just a fun film, plus it has Chuck in it!! Love that guy!!

FulciZombieFan
12-18-2007, 03:33 AM
I've seen all three and THE OMEGA MAN is by far the best film of the three. At least in my opinion. It helps that the soundtrack kicks ass.

rxfiend
12-18-2007, 03:48 AM
I haven't seen Omega Man yet, but of the two I've seen, Last Man is my favorite. I liked this new film, but did not like the last part of the film. I did not like how they used the "legend" reference in this film.

maskull
04-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Now that I've finally seen I Am Legend I can vote (well I could but the voting is closed so I'll just write my opinion instead).

Last Man gets my vote easily. It has a better ending than Omega Man (I honestly got kind of bored half way through this flick), and doesn't feel like you're getting a "Hollywood Ending" like I Am Legend. Plus Vincent Price is all kinds of kick ass in this movie and there was no lame cg deer or monsters.

I think I might've liked I Am Legend more if I'd never seen Last Man before, but I did so ah well.

Horrorphilly
04-20-2008, 02:12 AM
I really dug I am Legend and Last man on Earth.I saw LMOE before I saw IAL.I have yet to see Omega man.Im a sucker for Vincent Price and I love how he narrates LMOE.Its funny I bought LMOE in a "vampire" movie pack,it was hardly a vampire movie but who am I to judge the craft of classic movies.

Sean