PDA

View Full Version : Best Creepy Old Man

rhett
12-25-2007, 12:21 AM
I was trying to think of a good Christmas poll, but after doing these for awhile, I've already used up all the obvious questions. So here's one that relates only in the fact that one of the selections is from SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT. Without a doubt my favorite staple of horror movies, the cryptic, prophetic, creepy old man who just sort of wanders around with no purpose other than to scare the shit out of everyone. There's been some real gems, and I'm sure I won't get all of them, but from the list, which old coot is your favorite?

Note: I thought about including Sam Loomis, but he's too much the main character to qualify as the doom spouting old man. I've included Pleasence in PRINCE OF DARKNESS for good measure, though.

Let me know if I've missed some good and I'll add them right away.

DrHerbertWest
12-25-2007, 01:21 AM
Crazy Ralph (IMHO) set the bar pretty high. It's unfortunate to know he couldn't appear in Jason X.

Erick H.
12-25-2007, 01:43 AM
I liked John Houseman's old sea captain in the opener of John Carpenter's THE FOG.

bwana the clown
12-25-2007, 02:31 AM
Have to go with Silent Night Deadly Night, because I watched it last night and he's fresh in my mind. I love the way he's totally faking his dementia, and he only snaps out of it just to traumatise his grandson.

2nd vote goes to the creepy old pedophile guy in Family Guy.

YottNik
12-25-2007, 03:22 AM
I gotta go with Crazy Ralph but Grandpa from SNDN is a close second.

"If you see Santa Claus tonight you better run, boy. You better run for your life!"

KGBRadioMoskow
12-25-2007, 03:44 AM
If I was going to pick one from the list, it would be Grandpa from TCM. But I've got to go "other" - the Tall Man from Phantasm. Angus Scrimm didn't write the book on "creepy old man", he chiseled the stone tablets.

Have to give props to John Carradine as another shoe in, especially in The Howling and The Sentinel.

othervoice1
12-25-2007, 03:50 AM
Crazy Ralph rocks!

rhett
12-25-2007, 04:30 AM
If I was going to pick one from the list, it would be Grandpa from TCM. But I've got to go "other" - the Tall Man from Phantasm. Angus Scrimm didn't write the book on "creepy old man", he chiseled the stone tablets.

Have to give props to John Carradine as another shoe in, especially in The Howling and The Sentinel.
I think we share the same mind. I initially included Scrimm, but since, like Loomis, he's basically the lead and not the weird guy talking smack, I didn't think he really fit. Plus, in the first he isn't really THAT old. And then I thought I need to include Carradine in some form. I was thinking SHOCK WAVES, but yeah, let's do THE HOWLING.

BroodingHope
12-25-2007, 06:31 AM
Personally, I'd vote Julian Beck in Poltergeist II over any of the aformentioned actors. He's the creepiest old man I've ever seen.

Spacevis
12-25-2007, 08:23 AM
I'd vote for the creepy old guy in Cannibal! the musical

You're doomed!! You're all doomed!! ......... Doomed!!

Katatonia
12-25-2007, 09:56 AM
Personally, I'd vote Julian Beck in Poltergeist II over any of the aformentioned actors. He's the creepiest old man I've ever seen.

Great choice! That guy gave me nightmares way back when...

maybrick
12-25-2007, 02:30 PM
Crazy Ralph is good, but I think I like the crazy guy with the eyeball in Part 3 just a wee bit more.

Vlachio
12-25-2007, 03:04 PM

HAHA RESTART THE POLL! Just kiddin! great choice!!!

Regurgitate
12-25-2007, 05:52 PM
2nd vote goes to the creepy old pedophile guy in Family Guy.

Really, this guy should be on the poll, he takes the cake. Especially when he was signing that "I know what boys like" song. Ha, the only thing that's funny about that show.

Copyboy
12-25-2007, 06:17 PM
I love Crazy Ralph, but I never thought he was all that creepy. He reminded me too much of a teacher I had in junior high who was actually creepier, telling us horror stories of his adventures in World War 2, and still refering to modern day Japanese-Americans as "Japs."

So I went with TCM's Grandpa, who is the creepiest old man I've ever seen at the dinner table. And because today just happens to be Christmas, I'd like to give props to Harry Dean Stanton, who has got to be the absolute CREEPIEST angel ever in One Magic Christmas! I get chills just thinking about him sitting outside the house playing his harmonica. Or drinking Jack Daniels out of the bottle. Or whatever it was he was doing out there in the snow. Freaking creepy angel.

Fistfuck
12-25-2007, 06:22 PM
Herbert from Family Guy.

fattyjoe37
12-26-2007, 08:01 AM
Erle Kenton from THE HOWLING

rhett
12-26-2007, 08:23 AM
I've included Old Man Marley from HOME ALONE, because, damnit, Roberts Blossom deserves at least one vote. If Ezra Cobb were a bit older, DERANGED would be on there too!

SickNick89
12-28-2007, 03:08 AM
"God is in his holy temple"

Mortis
12-28-2007, 03:16 AM
Silent Night, Deadly Night

Dbone
12-28-2007, 03:26 AM
What about the old bum in mulholland dr.? He gave me nightmares!

satans-sadists
12-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Father Loomis from Prince of Darkness.

DrHerbertWest
12-28-2007, 06:52 PM
What about the old bum in mulholland dr.? He gave me nightmares!

That scene literally made my heart stop beating for approximately 2.5 seconds. I thought I was going to pass out and it wasn't even that bad, looking back on it. Well, maybe it was. Jesus.

dirkwu
12-29-2007, 02:52 AM
the old man in poltergiest II. christ almighty that was scary. I'm surprised he isn't winning by a landslide.

Dbone
12-30-2007, 10:26 PM
That scene literally made my heart stop beating for approximately 2.5 seconds. I thought I was going to pass out and it wasn't even that bad, looking back on it. Well, maybe it was. Jesus.

Same here... thats a heart palpitation I will never forget! Gotta love Lynch!

MorallySound
12-30-2007, 10:37 PM
Kane.

JBPumpkin
12-31-2007, 05:36 PM
From the above list, I'm gonna have to go with Grandpa from "Silent Night...". Dear God, he was strange. Who fakes being catatonic only so they can freak out their grandchild? I'd also like to give props to the father from the flashback scenes in "Peeping Tom". He wasn't that old, but his parenting skills were pretty damn creepy!