PDA

View Full Version : Next generation format upgrade?

thrashard76
01-09-2008, 07:02 PM
Which will you eventually jump to when the next gen formats gain their stride? Or will you remain a loyal supporter of older formats?

SaviniFan
01-09-2008, 07:09 PM
Blu-ray. Eventually. I won't buy in though until there is a sub $200 2.0 player. Guess I'll be waiting a while.

Vlachio
01-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Blu-ray. Eventually. I won't buy in though until there is a sub $200 2.0 player. Guess I'll be waiting a while.

Yeah same here eventually. No way I'm blowing $500+ for a player.

thrashard76
01-09-2008, 07:12 PM
I think I'll be making the jump to HD at some point but I'm talking years from now. Until then I'll stick with DVD.

DrHerbertWest
01-09-2008, 07:34 PM
I voted for Blu-ray because that's what seems to be sticking around if any of these new formats do last. I have so many DVDs though and since they're still being made, I'm 100% loyal to them for now.

maybrick
01-09-2008, 07:43 PM
DVD looks good enough to me. When my current set breaks then I'll rethink my options but until then I'll stick with what I have.

dwatts
01-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Isn't this poll a month too late? Who in their right mind is going to choose HD-DVD, which has clearly lost the "war"? Talk about dead format. Oh, one person went HD-DVD, so what do I know. :lol:

Roo
01-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Well I've been looking for a reason to pick-up a PS3. I might do that once the blu-ray disks get a little more affordable.

satans-sadists
01-09-2008, 08:02 PM
DVD looks good enough to me. When my current set breaks then I'll rethink my options but until then I'll stick with what I have.

This pretty much sums up my feelings.

Stige
01-09-2008, 08:06 PM
blu ray eventually , but won't go insane like i did with dvd and upgrade every title

ekent
01-09-2008, 08:13 PM
I'm not going to upgrade formats until I get a 1080/24p LCD. Until then, my 32" tube HDTV, HD cable box and DVD/LD library will suffice.

I lean heavily towards Bluray, btw.

bwana the clown
01-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Well, it's looking like it'll probably be Blu-Ray, but only when:

a) All companies are releasing on it.
b) Players are much cheaper
c) I can get a multi-region player
c) Titles are much cheaper
d) There are enough titles (of interest to me) to justify it

(d may take a while as I don't intend to replace most of my DVDs)

Workshed
01-09-2008, 09:15 PM
I just made the leap to an HDTV. When I have $$ again, it'll go to digital cable. When I have $$ again, it'll go to a new receiver. After that, by the time I am ready to upgrade to a next gen DVD system, there will probably be a new format, possibly even a new format war.

So, yeah, DVD for the foreseeable future, but I voted for whatever the future holds.

Rockmjd
01-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Dvd for a long time, possibly Blu Ray if it sticks around.

geeare
01-09-2008, 09:52 PM
Man I went blu-ray a few months ago and I gotta say, if your any kinda movie fan you gotta come over. I went the route of the PS3 and got a game console, free online gaming, blu-ray player, multi media server connected to my computer so i can watch avi movies look at my photos and listen to all my tunes. you can even surf the web on that thang. it's awesome. do it up!

ekent
01-09-2008, 10:16 PM
free online gaming, blu-ray player, multi media server connected to my computer so i can watch avi movies look at my photos and listen to all my tunes. you can even surf the web on that thang. it's awesome. do it up!

That's a heck of pitch for a PS3 if I ever heard one.

Roo
01-09-2008, 10:39 PM
Man I went blu-ray a few months ago and I gotta say, if your any kinda movie fan you gotta come over. I went the route of the PS3 and got a game console, free online gaming, blu-ray player, multi media server connected to my computer so i can watch avi movies look at my photos and listen to all my tunes. you can even surf the web on that thang. it's awesome. do it up!

Yep. That's pretty much why I'll get a PS3 instead of a stand alone player. Even though I'm happy with my 360, the PS3 still has a lot of potential especially with a built in Blu-ray player.

Workshed
01-09-2008, 11:22 PM

whoa, whoa, whoa, what is this about free online gaming?

Roo
01-09-2008, 11:41 PM
whoa, whoa, whoa, what is this about free online gaming?

You're kidding right?! With the PS3, you can play online for free. Unlike Xbox live, no monthly fee is required. It's another reason I want to pick-up a PS3, just to see how the free online play compares to Xbox Live.

dwatts
01-10-2008, 01:02 AM
Even I bought a PS3. :D

KR~!
01-10-2008, 01:14 AM
Who is the non-news watching, non-news reading fool who picked HD-DVD? WTF? What's next picking up a betamax on ebay? Stocking up on Zip-Disks? Investing in pogs?

Reverenddave
01-10-2008, 01:21 AM
Everyone starts out saying, "DVD looks good enough for me. Especially with my upconverting player. And even if I went HD, I wouldn't upgrade my current DVDs."

Then they go out and buy an HD player. Pretty soon they notice that they're not watching many standard DVDs anymore. Then they begin upgrading their standard DVDs for the HD versions. And eventually they stop buying standard DVDs altogether.

Once you make the jump, everything changes. I don't know anyone with an HD player that wants to go back to standard DVDs.

Reverenddave
01-10-2008, 01:26 AM

I agree. The PS3 is the ultimate next-gen machine. It's got the best Blu-Ray player on the market. The games are amazing. Media streaming is very useful. I'm not a big fan of the web browser. But everything else is excellent.

It's the best money I've spent on home electronics in a long time.

Jason25
01-10-2008, 01:39 AM
Own both Blu-ray and HD DVD. I have had a preference for Blu-ray merely because of the studios supporting it and because the kids like Disney films. I'm not upset in the least if one fails (HD DVD is looking like the loser) because I love films first and life is too short to get caught up in worrying over money spent.

maybrick
01-10-2008, 01:43 AM
Everyone starts out saying, "DVD looks good enough for me. Especially with my upconverting player. And even if I went HD, I wouldn't upgrade my current DVDs."

Then they go out and buy an HD player. Pretty soon they notice that they're not watching many standard DVDs anymore. Then they begin upgrading their standard DVDs for the HD versions. And eventually they stop buying standard DVDs altogether.

Once you make the jump, everything changes. I don't know anyone with an HD player that wants to go back to standard DVDs.

Granted. I'm expecting to live another 50 years or so, so yeah eventually an upgrade will be made. But there's little evidence yet that even if HD-DVD is a goner, that blu-ray won't be too far behind. Blu-ray is outpacing HD-DVD, but it's still too much of a niche product to remain viable for the long haul. It's entirely possible that those of us who haven't yet made the switch will be able to skip this format altogether and wait until the next one comes along. I, for one, am certainly in no hurry.

Kolpitz
01-10-2008, 02:13 AM
I voted for Blu-ray because, well, I already own a Blu-ray player and several Blu-ray discs. I've only had it for about a month but I'm already at that point where I no longer want to buy standard DVDs. I loved Death Sentence and Eastern Promises but there's no BDs (which is odd on DS's part since Fox supports BD).

fattyjoe37
01-10-2008, 02:18 AM
Sticking with DVD. Spent too much money already to re-buy my collection.

KamuiX
01-10-2008, 02:25 AM
Picked Blu-Ray, since I already have a PS3, own about 30 Blu-Ray discs, and am definitely loving it :D

Livingdead102
01-10-2008, 06:58 AM
Went with future format. What I've got is good enough, and upgrading just isn't a priority. We'll see how I feel in two or three years.

Livingdead102
01-10-2008, 07:09 AM
You're kidding right?! With the PS3, you can play online for free. Unlike Xbox live, no monthly fee is required. It's another reason I want to pick-up a PS3, just to see how the free online play compares to Xbox Live.

How is the PS3's online service these days? The last I heard it wasn't that great (one review called it a "work in progress", while another said it paled in comparison to XBox Live and whatever the Wii's online service is called), but that was last summer. I only own a 360 and I don't play online so I don't know one way or another, but a few friends have told me it's worth paying the $4 a month for the better service.

eric_angelus
01-10-2008, 07:30 AM
I am loving the blu ray, though I am really trying hard not to give into the temptation to start replacing anything. I picked up one or two must have favorites...took advantage of a couple of really good sales (I own 4 blu ray discs...and have 4 on the way from amazon...plus the five that come free with the player by mail) and will probably buy the big high profile new release titles in blu ray, when available. But overall the upconverted DVDs look great to me...so I will be happy with that on the bulk of my collection.

Reverenddave
01-10-2008, 09:18 AM
How is the PS3's online service these days? The last I heard it wasn't that great (one review called it a "work in progress", while another said it paled in comparison to XBox Live and whatever the Wii's online service is called), but that was last summer. I only own a 360 and I don't play online so I don't know one way or another, but a few friends have told me it's worth paying the $4 a month for the better service.

I don't have a 360 or Wii, so I can't compare it. I do know that most people seem to prefer the Xbox Live. But that doesn't mean that PS3's online service isn't any good. And it's miles ahead of PS2's online service.

So far I've only had one problem playing online, and that's with Call Of Duty 4. I don't think that was Sony's fault. I think the problem has been with InfinityWard's servers. And they've been working on fixing the server load. I think there's also been a problem on the Xbox side.

The PSN is excellent with HD trailers and game demos. I love being able to try out new games before buying them. People call it a work in progress because it's well know they've been developing a huge interactive Sims-type online community.

The best part is, it's all free (outside some add-on content and full game downloads). Could it be even better? I'm not complaining, but it could probably be better. Would I want to pay an extra $50 each year for a better service? I'm not too crazy about that.

geeare
01-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Sticking with DVD. Spent too much money already to re-buy my collection.

no need to re-buy, I'm not. Sure I might double-dip on a couple of my favorite's that would look spectacula, like i've already done with Pirates of the Caribbean, but I'm not about to replace my Nightmare on Elm Street collection...well, maybe the first one, BUT THAT'S IT!

Livingdead102
01-10-2008, 05:25 PM
I don't have a 360 or Wii, so I can't compare it. I do know that most people seem to prefer the Xbox Live. But that doesn't mean that PS3's online service isn't any good. And it's miles ahead of PS2's online service.

So far I've only had one problem playing online, and that's with Call Of Duty 4. I don't think that was Sony's fault. I think the problem has been with InfinityWard's servers. And they've been working on fixing the server load. I think there's also been a problem on the Xbox side.

I think you're right about CoD4. I picked it up on sale ($37 new at Best Buy!) and took it over to a friend's house who has a Gold membership to try it out online, and we had some problems with freezing and dropped connections. This was also right after Live's recent service issues, so that could have been the cause, but Halo 3 worked without a hitch that same night so I think it might have been a CoD problem.

Anyway, back on topic. For those that have already stepped up to the next gen, how big would you say the difference is between an up-converted dvd and it's hd equivalent, especially on a new release like 300 or Pirates of the Caribbean, or on an older-but-remastered film?

Ash J. Williams
01-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Well, sites like DVDtalk.com often review both the HD and the SD versions of high-profile releases. I remember for 2001: A Space Odyssey a couple months ago, they very highly praised the picture quality for the standard-def release, but went totally above and beyond all forms of praise for the HD release, giving it their most positive review ever, I believe. Everything they said was true, too - you can count individual pebbles in the opening scene, for instance.

geeare
01-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Anyway, back on topic. For those that have already stepped up to the next gen, how big would you say the difference is between an up-converted dvd and it's hd equivalent, especially on a new release like 300 or Pirates of the Caribbean, or on an older-but-remastered film?

On my 52" bravia the difference is huge, and I have compared POTC and The Fifth Element to back that up. Both movies look supremely better in 1080p. Anyone who says there is no difference needs glasses. I'm not sure what the difference would be on a smaller TV tho.

Workshed
01-10-2008, 09:59 PM

I really didn't know. That's a great reason to pick it up.

What's the deal with Wii Online? Is it true you can't "compete" against other players? If I buy Smash Bros. Brawl, will I be able to challenge players online or no?

Noto
01-10-2008, 11:56 PM
I really didn't know. That's a great reason to pick it up.

What's the deal with Wii Online? Is it true you can't "compete" against other players? If I buy Smash Bros. Brawl, will I be able to challenge players online or no?

It's a game-by-game basis with the Wii. Smash Brothers Brawl will indeed be online though.

Reverenddave
01-11-2008, 01:57 AM
For those that have already stepped up to the next gen, how big would you say the difference is between an up-converted dvd and it's hd equivalent, especially on a new release like 300 or Pirates of the Caribbean, or on an older-but-remastered film?

I was recently watching the Harry Potter 5 HD-DVD/DVD combo disc. Half way through the film, the HD side froze up (first problem I've had with a combo disc). So I just flipped the disc and watch the rest of the movie on the SD side.

I could notice the difference right away. The HD side was much crisper with more vivid colors. The SD side looked a bit drab compared to the HD side I'd been watching. But honestly, after a few minutes of noticing the difference, I just got sucked into the movie.

So the difference between HD & SD doesn't effect my enjoyment of the movie. But given a choice, I'll take HD. Both look good, but HD just looks better.

Of course, that's just the visual side. I don't have it hooked up to a good audio system. I know some audiophiles that rave about the tracks on HD discs. If you've got the set-up, that adds another component to the equation.

And you have to factor in the HD exclusive extras and features. The HD-DVD of 300 has a very cool PIP track. HP5 has an interesting Community Screening feature. And pretty soon, you'll be able to use your PS3 to rip a Blu-Ray to your PSP.

rp108
01-11-2008, 02:08 AM
I don't know about anyone else but I have been in the format war over a year and pretty fed up with it. I have had two Blu-ray players and they were garabage. I had three HD DVD players and two out of three were very good but they are losing studio support.

What really did it for me to get out of the HD formats was the overpriced software, unreliable hardware, profile issues, constant firmware updates and most importantly, lack of content.

I can tell you that my Evil Dead 2 DVD (book edition) looked better upscaled in my XA2 than the Blu-ray version in my Panasonic DMP-BD30K! :hum:
Needless to say, I am done with HD DVD and Blu-ray.

But there is some good that came out of buying HD DVD and Blu-ray, I found the ultimate piece of technology, the REON chip (http://www.hqv.com/).

If you ask me, this is the future of home entertainment. I first saw this in the Toshiba XA2 and then in the Samsung BD-P1200 and its AMAZING! Once you see DVDs upscaled with the REON chip, you will forget about HD, I know I did!

So, I sold everything (HD DVDs, Blu-ray discs, Toshiba XA2, Toshiba A2, Panasonic DMP-BD30K) to pay for a Denon (http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3262.asp). Also have some left over for some more DVDs.

To anyone getting into Blu-ray or HD DVD, be prepared. Expensive movies, constant firmware updates, completley unreliable hardware, and lack of movies.

sundownrider
01-25-2008, 11:39 PM
I got a HD DVD player dirt cheap. It's used but still new when I got it. So for know I upgraded without going broke.