PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Resolution

rhett
01-11-2008, 07:07 PM
2007 was a good year for us. We upped the amount of new reviews posted considerably, were able to port over all the remaining old format reviews to our forums, and we managed to do our 31 reviews for each day in October. We had more contests last year than ever before too, and thanks to all the great members of the forums, we had a lot of quality discussions about the contest topics as well as everything else under the sun. There's always room for improvement, though. There were a few dry spells during the off-horror months, and so this year our new year's resolution is to have at least one review a week, and in many cases more than that. We'll be doing the 31 reviews of October again as well, but this way we can promise some consistency throughout the year.

We're still looking for talented writers to write for us here at the site, so if you think you have what it takes, then send an email over to rhett at horordvds dot com and give us a writing sample. Free DVDs await you!

New reviews will be posted every Saturday, so be sure to check the site for them, in addition to all the other things happening in the forums. Regarding the forums, too - we plan on making registration a much easier process in the coming months here. For years we've been slowly selective of the new members we let in, but now we are entertaining the notion of instantaneous sign up, so once you register, you're in. There will be some other safeguards to prevent things from getting too crazy, but we'll update you all when the time comes.

Lastly, we're working also on integrating a chat feature within the forums, so when you're logged in here you can easily just jump into our chat room without having to worry about IRC. It will be hosted here, so it will always be up, and only members registered on the site will have access to keep things controlled.

We've got big things planned for our ninth year here, so stay tuned and thanks again for all your support!

dwatts
01-11-2008, 07:25 PM
so stay tuned

Hey Rhett, what's the Internet equivalent to this phrase? It's so...... radio.

Good idea on the forum registration, as long as Modding is done well. One review a week, good idea.

Dave
01-12-2008, 12:01 AM
Chat is now up for testing. Register members will see it on the navigation bar.

dwatts
01-12-2008, 12:18 AM
Damn, it works! :D

thrashard76
01-13-2008, 07:28 AM
Neat-o.

spawningblue
01-14-2008, 12:55 AM
Hmm... I don't remember having trouble registering, I thought I just signed in and started posting? Maybe I'm not a full fledged member or something!? haha

And this site has gotten a LOT better with reviews, I was surprised you made it with the 31 reviews in October. Anyways, I think it's a really good thing for the site, as that is the first thing I check out before deciding whether I should bother sticking with the site or not. If you guys can keep it up it can only be good!

Dave
01-14-2008, 06:15 PM
We started putting all new registrations into a waiting queue and making them wait a few months before getting in. This was probably done after you had registered, spawning.

It was done for security but also to keep deadbeats out. While we disabled the queue, the first 25 messages for all new registrations have to be approved by moderators. They can still read and even reply in the forum, but the messages they post won't appear to any of you until one of us approves it. By doing that, we can kick out any spammers and what not.

WesReviews
01-16-2008, 08:10 PM
I will try to do better about doing reviews this year.

Rhett, I will sit down and watch Lionsgate's new Cutting Class disc this coming week and hopefully have you a review for next Saturday. A kidney stone has kept me down this week. THEY SUCK.

delirium
02-07-2008, 03:12 AM
you guys have definently been doing a great job and i look forward ot the coming year. I use to visit sparingly, mainly for the reviews, but I've been coming more and more often for the reviews, whch are great by the way, and the forums have a lot of discussions that I'm interested in.