PDA

View Full Version : LCD vs Plasma vs CRT Projection vs projectors

drown021
01-15-2008, 06:14 AM
I just replaced my 51" HD Sony CRT rear projection with a 42" LCD by Sylvania (Funai). I was always under the impression that the best picture would be obtained by a CRT projection, but since I went with LCD,no way. What a great picture.The one movie that I could see a big difference was 28 weeks later on blu-ray.I watched that originally on the 51" projection and remember being disapointed in the picture quality,but on the LCD,I was impressed.
What is everyone else viewing their HD content on? Has anyone went from LCD to Plasma or projectors? Whats your opinion on your equipment.

Zombie Dude
01-15-2008, 08:06 AM
I went from a rear projection tv to a Plasma and the difference is outstanding. No way would I go back.

dwatts
01-15-2008, 11:12 AM
Your new set is clearly hi-def ready - your old set wasn't. So yes, on a Blu-Ray disc it should better CRT. If it hadn't, we'd all have been worried. :D

I have a 42" Plasma set that I use for mostly gaming and what ever small amount of broadcast TV I can stand.

I have an LCD projector for movie watching (watch 99% of movies on that) with a screen that's just about 7 feet wide at the moment, I guess.

Clearly the reported demise of Plasma has been overstated, and I've been relatively happy with mine. With Blu-Ray and hi-def gaming it's wonderful. The worlds biggest TV was shown last week from Panasonic, a 150" Plasma - but it's a tad expensive right now. ;)

The DLP rainbow thing remains a problem for me. My projector is 720p though, not full 1080p. I'll upgrade it sometime, but the LCD projector I want (16000:1 contrast ratio) is in the $3k range, so that'll have to wait.

drown021
01-15-2008, 02:06 PM
The old set "was" a hi-def 1080i crt projection.Don't get me wrong,HD content looked good on it as I have the HD pack from Dish network so I did watch HD programming on it.I was just amazed how MUCH better the LCD looks. The viewing angle is way better than the projection also.
I haven't heard much about the demise of the plasma. In fact there are a lot of good plasma's out there.I just picked this one up because I got a fairly good deal on it.

Shannafey
01-15-2008, 02:34 PM
I bought a 47" LCD and love it. My only reservation is when I watch an HD signal with a lot of motion and/or fast graphics I get digitizing. I don't know if it is the cable bandwidth with the HD signal or the refresh rate of the TV, but the HD signal in general looks amazing and upconverted DVDs look phenomenal!

Ash28M
01-15-2008, 02:38 PM
I'm not surprised CRT for me is the bottom tier of HD as convergence is always an issue, With plasma and LCD leading the way and DLP coming next. I have a 1080p 61" Samsung DLP and a 1080i 42" Samsung Plasma. The DLP has an amazing picture though I do see the occasional rainbow on high contrast scenes the plasma is smaller so it's hard to compare but also has a expectantly great picture.

dwatts
01-15-2008, 03:12 PM
The old set "was" a hi-def 1080i crt projection.

Then I concede, and apologize. ;)

Sam
01-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Front projectors are really coming down in price. You can score extremely solid 720p ones for under $999 now. Huge pictures into the 130"-ish range for HD.. about 92" for DVD's sweetspot. The downside is most need virtually a pitch black room for good results and bulbs are expensive (~$200-350 avg). With a really high lumen count you may be able to watch movies with some moderate lighting. I actually just went with a 480p projector for dirt cheap (under $500) to play my DVDs and LDs until 1080p hits that $999 threshold.

A few awesome models for under $1k:

Infocus SP4805 & IN72 / Optoma H31 (480p)
Optoma HD70 / Mitsubishi HD1000U (720p)
None yet..... (1080p)

geeare
01-17-2008, 04:08 PM
I went from a rear projection tv to a Plasma and the difference is outstanding. No way would I go back.

Ditto. altho I am a little disappointed with my 52" Sony Bravia. There seems to be alot of "ghosting" while gaming (COD4) and some in some movies I have watched. There is alot of talk about this issue all over the web with the Bravias and hoping there will be a firmware upgrade to fix it soon.

dwatts
01-17-2008, 04:10 PM
The light thing is true, but to be honest, I only watch movies in the dark anyway, so it's never been an issue (my projector is 1100 Lumen). I just can't stand watching films (let alone horror films) when there's light in the room. It's either evenings or with curtains and shades drawn for me.

geeare
01-17-2008, 04:11 PM
I bought a 47" LCD and love it. My only reservation is when I watch an HD signal with a lot of motion and/or fast graphics I get digitizing. I don't know if it is the cable bandwidth with the HD signal or the refresh rate of the TV, but the HD signal in general looks amazing and upconverted DVDs look phenomenal!

it's cable that's giving you the pixelization. I get it as well while watching hi-def programming but I don't get it when watching Blu-ray movies.

17thJuggalo
01-18-2008, 01:00 AM
I'd love to get a projector, but I don't really have any suitable place to put one due to the fact that my place is laid out so weird. However, my 42" Sharp LCD 1080p TV with does fine especially with the Yamaha 5.1 surround sound. Not to mention I can dim the lights in my TV room so thats always fun.

Nightbreed
01-30-2008, 03:54 PM
I have been using a 42" 720p plasma for my viewing's/gaming and it's been great, I just bought a Optoma HD70 720p projector and nothing beats watching a movie on an 8foot screen, from now one that's my primary moving watching/gaming screen.

dwatts
01-30-2008, 09:46 PM
Damn straight. Well done Nightbreed. Nothing like it, huh?

ReelFear
01-30-2008, 11:43 PM
i have a 45 inch sharp aquos LCD. its great except for very dark movies, which lose a lot of definition. I have a projector which is great for parties and special occasions projected on the wall. But my 36 inch tube TV still looks fantastic and has great color and definition in dark scenes.

Mutilated Prey
01-31-2008, 02:50 AM
I got a Panasonic TH-50PH9UK 50" Plasma just under a year ago - 10000:1 contrast level with "real black" technology. Blu-Ray, PS3 HD Sports, ect. all look amazing. The thing is freakin' sweet! :glasses:

Beastus
01-31-2008, 11:36 AM
I've got 2 32" CRT widescreen TVs (standard def). One in my livingroom, for broadcast TV, and another one in my bedroom.

For movies I use a BenQ W10000 1080p DLP projector. It's really great, and really shines with hi-def. My screen is almost 9ft. I really prefer DLP instead of LCD. Do feel the picture is more "real" while LCD gets a little too computer graphics for my taste.

dwatts
01-31-2008, 11:51 AM
It's personal taste mate. DLP is good, and has benefits and negatives. I don't think people look at too many LCD's to be honest and form opinions based on cheap models. Things like screen door effect are gone now....

It's all in the setup. DLP has strong colors, but setup incorrectly it can turn everything into looking like a Pixar cartoon. Once you set correct flesh tones etc - then both LCD and DLP will look very good.

As I say, it's personal preference, both have pluses and minuses. I forget what it's called, but I'm sure I read about a DLP system that does away with the rainbow effect - but it was very very expensive..... wish I had the details....

KR~!
01-31-2008, 01:01 PM
If you want the very best and have lots of money to spend...

http://www.runco.com/

nothing beats them.

dwatts
01-31-2008, 01:10 PM
My brain just blew up. :D

I guess they have a screen that alters in size. The only way of making a 2.35:1 image fit a screen without black bars, surely, it to make the screen physically wider......?!?

The Chaostar
01-31-2008, 04:17 PM
Hello.

My screen is 2.35:1. And kicks ass. I figured that there is no need to own a screen when you cannot see the scope filks wider as they should be seen. So I adjust the zoom before every screening, according to the ratio. I use black curtains to cover the left/right parts of the screen when the film is not in scope.

I will post pictures whenever I have the chance to do so.

dwatts
01-31-2008, 04:25 PM
Hello. :)

I'd rather have the same sized screen, but 1.85:1, so then my 1.85:1 films are larger. Maybe I'm just not getting it. It appears that's what you do Chaoster - you use the zoom to blow it up..... which is exactly what I could do (but don't bother). :D

If you follow the link they talk about "CineWide technology*" with Patent Pending. That's what I'm talking about. I don't see what the magic is - and you'd need a bigger screen... wouldn't you?

Put another way - why not just buy a screen as big as you can fit into the space - make it 1.85:1 (or approximate) and have the best of all worlds? I mean, unless I misunderstand you - you don't use your full screen width for less than 2.35:1. How come?

Horrorphilly
01-31-2008, 04:27 PM
i have a 45 inch sharp aquos LCD. its great except for very dark movies, which lose a lot of definition. I have a projector which is great for parties and special occasions projected on the wall. But my 36 inch tube TV still looks fantastic and has great color and definition in dark scenes.

I just got a 32in aquos lcd and I love it.I used to have a 19in tv.Is there any special tricks you can do to these tvs to get them to perform better?

Sean

The Chaostar
01-31-2008, 04:44 PM
Hello. :)

I'd rather have the same sized screen, but 1.85:1, so then my 1.85:1 films are larger. Maybe I'm just not getting it. It appears that's what you do Chaoster - you use the zoom to blow it up..... which is exactly what I could do (but don't bother). :D

If you follow the link they talk about "CineWide technology*" with Patent Pending. That's what I'm talking about. I don't see what the magic is - and you'd need a bigger screen... wouldn't you?

Put another way - why not just buy a screen as big as you can fit into the space - make it 1.85:1 (or approximate) and have the best of all worlds? I mean, unless I misunderstand you - you don't use your full screen width for less than 2.35:1. How come?

I feel that scope films are meant to be wider than anything else.
That a film at 1.85.1 has no right (yes, thats the expression) to look in any way bigger than a scope film.
That is why scope was created anyway. To add more space left and right, not to cut space up and down.
In a cinema that is exactly what happens.

dwatts
01-31-2008, 05:01 PM
Wow. Okay, I understand your thought process. It's not something is subscribe too. The size of my screen is always limited only by the space I happen to be living in. If I could have a screen 50 foot wide I'd have that, and watch everything - 2.35:1, 1.85:1, and 4:3 on it. I wouldn't restrict the projected size of my 1.85:1 films just so I can artifically make by 2.35:1 films wider. Still, each to their own. ;)

rp108
02-01-2008, 12:20 AM
I have a Sony 50" 1080p SXRD and I think its great. I went with a rear projection (or rear projection/lcd hybrid) because I watch alot of horror movies (who would of guessed?) and having deep blacks is an absolute must.

If I played more video games than watch movies, I would have gotten an LCD. I just think LCDs look great for that but for movies not so much.