PDA

View Full Version : So how do these cult movies REALLY look?

17thJuggalo
01-22-2008, 03:29 AM
All biases aside, how do such movies as Dawn of the Dead, Halloween, Evil Dead, etc. look on Blu-Ray? Do they really look that much better than a standard DVD upconverted to 1080p? I've been pondering this for some time, but it seems that movies made in the late 70's on micro budgets couldn't really look that much better than they already do.

Sorry if there's topics or posts on this subject, but I've been dying to know if its really "worth" it, or its just a small upgrade to what I already have.

eric_angelus
01-22-2008, 03:40 AM
The only one I have is Halloween, and I do notice a difference. While there is the whole issue with the color timing...there is no doubt that the Halloween picture is much more sharp and the colors (whether correct to Cundey's original footage or not) are extremely rich and vibrant. For me it was most noticable in the the escape scene where Michael attacks Marion in the station wagon. The scene took on a new life.
This is actually the only anchor bay blu ray disc that I have, so I can't speak to the others...but there is a trailer at the begining promoting all of the releases, and they looked quite striking.
I have had my blu ray player about a month now, and have gotten used to the look of the image. When I watch an upconverted DVD, it still looks damned good...but not quite as good as a blu ray. So I would say, for me at least, it was well worth it.

Noto
01-22-2008, 06:26 AM
The bigger the screen, the more noticeable the difference.

I have about 20 blu-rays now and the older films have the more massive difference in my eyes. The Warriors, Rio Bravo, The Road Warrior, The Wild Bunch and Blade Runner. Hell even The Fly and Robocop look amazing.

fceurich39
01-22-2008, 05:26 PM
to me dawn of the dead looks and sounds awesome on blu ray

rp108
01-29-2008, 02:47 AM
Evil Dead 2 is an absolute joke on Blu-ray, if you have the Book Edition than just use that until they re-release on Blu-ray.

I have heard Dawn Of The Dead, Halloween (minus color timing), and Day Of The Dead look good in HD but I am not sure if they are worth the upgrade.

Evil Dead 2 was definitley not!

X-human
01-29-2008, 05:03 AM
From the cult side of things I've only watched Night of the Werewolf (1980) and Vengeance of the Zombies (1972) so far, and both looked a lot better than even their upconverted counterparts. The background details benefit the most, creating a better sense of depth. What was especially noticable in Werewolf was how well the compression handled smoke, dust and other fine air particles. They were much more natural looking and blended more subtly with whatever was behind it.

Overall it has a more film like look.

I suspect they'd look much better on an even bigger screen, I just watched them at 52". I saw A Christmas Story this way and it looked about the same as Werewolf/Zombie, but then I saw it projected again on a 16' screen and I was amazed at how well it blew up. A lot of subtle details came out, so it's really there you just need it at the proper scale.

At 16' it felt like I was watching film.

17thJuggalo
02-06-2008, 02:00 AM
So I just had to buy Dawn of the Dead in Blu-Ray to test and see if there is actually a difference between Blu-Ray and upconverted DVD for older low budget cult movies. My opinion? The difference is minimal at best.

The backgrounds look nice, and there's less "noise" in the picture (its still there though). I couldn't get my receiver to play either the uncompressed audio or the Dolby 5.1 properly either. (I got audio, but my receiver didn't indicate what it was like in all of my other discs). Overall though, I think this will be the last time I "upgrade" one of my standard DVD's to Blu-Ray unless there's some good incentives in the extras. Its simply not that much better in my opinion.

If anyone is wondering, I have a 42" inch Sharp Acquos LCD TV and I'm playing the Blu-Ray disc on my PS3.

Reverenddave
02-06-2008, 02:46 AM
Any differences are going to be on a film-by-film basis. You should have tried Halloween. That looks amazing in HD. I hear there's not much improvement in the other 3 movies.

I also thought The Warriors looked really good.

X-human
02-06-2008, 03:37 AM
Did you compare it to the last AB SD disc? That was compressed to hell if I remember correctly, with noticeable macroblocking in some scenes. I think flipping between the two on inputs would be a good way to compare.

I've been holding off for years on buying SD-DVD's, so I don't have the problem of double dipping since almost everything I've bought on Blu has been first time purchases.

buck135
02-06-2008, 04:17 AM
That's funny, I found the quality of Dawn Bluray to be outstanding, while the Halloween seemed underwhelming. I'm using the PS3 as well on a 62 inch Samsung.

17thJuggalo
02-06-2008, 04:48 AM
Perhaps "early" versions of cult movies in HD will be a bit underwhelming in comparison to what's in store for us in the future. I hope its that way because I was pretty unimpressed with Dawn's quality despite all the rave reviews it got.