PDA

View Full Version : HDMI converters

Horrorphilly
01-27-2008, 10:52 AM
Anyone know how these little converters make your dvd's look? I have a new dvd player that doesnt have hdmi hookups.I was wondering how the video looks.Can anyone point me in the right direction to a nice price hdmi converter?

Thanks
Sean

dwatts
01-27-2008, 11:12 AM
An external upscaler might help, but I'm not sure how a "HDMI convertor" could make any difference quality wise at all..... HDMI doesn't improve quality, it's just a connector supporting digital, which your player needs to output.

Actually I have a Samsung player here that's HDMI. The standard connector in the UK is SCART. I've tried both, and SCART is much better than HDMI on that player - it depends on the circuitry etc. Your player clearly has no circuitry at all.... what are these things used for, I can only see an argument for convenience....

Horrorphilly
01-27-2008, 04:56 PM
Dwatts,the "hdmi converter" is a box that you can plug one end of the hdmi cable into and then plug the other end into the tv.It is basicaly a "rf modulator" for people that dont have a/v hookups on your tv.

Sean

dwatts
01-27-2008, 05:35 PM
Hm - fair enough. What is it supposed to achieve?

Horrorphilly
01-27-2008, 06:01 PM
It purpose is for if your dvd player doesnt have a hdmi plug.You can benefit from hdmi connection with the converter.

Sean

dwatts
01-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Sorry mate, I don't get it. I don't see how you would benefit from a HDMI connection. HDMI is digital, if you DVD player doesn't have it, it's not outputing a digital signal, so the benefit (better quality of a digital connection) is lost. All this seems to help with is being able to connect two units with different type outputs and inputs. With DVD players costing $25, I don't see how this would be worth it at all.

Maybe someone will come on and tell us I'm talking out the top of my head - but this seems rather odd to me.

shift
01-28-2008, 04:29 PM
Sorry mate, I don't get it. I don't see how you would benefit from a HDMI connection. HDMI is digital, if you DVD player doesn't have it, it's not outputing a digital signal, so the benefit (better quality of a digital connection) is lost. All this seems to help with is being able to connect two units with different type outputs and inputs. With DVD players costing $25, I don't see how this would be worth it at all.

Maybe someone will come on and tell us I'm talking out the top of my head - but this seems rather odd to me.

Watts- This Saturday I had a guy come out and install an HDMI cable from my outter wall to the attic to my PJ and really, I do-not see a difference from Component and felt like $85 labor and $30 for a 25' hdmi cable was :(
While it is nice it is only one cable, I just do-not see the upgrade.
The main reason why I did was b/c for the Playstation3 and benefiting from the bly-ray and upconvert of backups of my dvd movies into 720p/1080i.

I also own a DVP5982 player and it only converts SD dvd w/ HDMI and I got to say, I don't see a damn difference. Oh well.....

dwatts
01-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Nah - same here. My Samsung has HDMI or lowly SCART - works better as SCART. The world has gone mad.

kirjautuneena
03-14-2011, 11:23 AM
This is the HDMI Splitter (http://www.espow.com/wholesale-entertainment-home-theater-hdmi-display-port-hdmi-switches-splitters.html) that allows signal transmission from one source to another. One might have wondered the way it is feasible to view one show in multiple screens. This is made feasible by the HDMI audio/video splitter.:banana:

Forrestluna
10-30-2013, 09:26 AM
3D DLP HDMI converter (http://www.koolerbuy.com/koolertron-dlp-3d-converter-2x1-hdmi-14-for-1280720120hz-3d-ready-dlp-projector-p-3798.html)
Due to 3D ready DLP projector can only receive 120Hz frame sequential format video to achieve 3D effect, so 2D and 3D format (SBS-H/TAB/FP) video can't be view in 3D ready DLP projector at 3D mode,V3D-3D media processor will help you to achieve it.