PDA

View Full Version : Is there any vcr players that can look good on hdtvs

fceurich39
01-27-2008, 05:38 PM
what about the vcr/dvdcombos that have the s video input anyone know?

KR~!
01-27-2008, 11:28 PM
The legendary Marantz MV8300, it can do 1080i and record HDTV on Tape, good luck finding it however as it was released in 2003.

fceurich39
01-28-2008, 01:28 AM
i checked around the new sony dvd recorder/vcr upconverts dvd and vhs it says on box but i asked and a rep said it will be a slight improvement but wont be a drastic change in picture quality with just the hdmi cord plugged in to hd tv to dvd/vcr

X-human
01-28-2008, 05:14 AM
The Marantz MV8300 is a D-VHS player, most any D-VHS player can do 1080i and record HD to D-VHS tapes. D-VHS is undoubtably the best VHS ever got. I've got an RCA model, and I played VHS on it a couple of times years ago... In retrospect I think it looked better than our DVD/VHS combo player but at the time I was too interested in the 1080i native D-VHS tapes to really compare.

If you really want noticeable results the only option is to get a stand alone digital video scaler, which can take any video signal and clean it up in real time. We use some at work to bump up VHS to project in HD on 16" screens occasionally. At best you think you're watching a mediocre DVD. But anything that would do the job right would cost over $500, probably more than you're willing to spend on the player itself.

Shannafey
02-01-2008, 09:20 PM
I can't really see any decks improving VHS that much! I dump my VHS tapes that are hard to find or not available on DVD, to DVD-R. I use a good SVHS deck with an S-Video signal to my DVD recorder and both have some image stabilizers and other things that help the image somewhat. I then view them using my upconvertable DVD player. They look good, but not great. Better than a regular SD TV signal.

X-human
02-01-2008, 09:31 PM
They look good, but not great. Better than a regular SD TV signal.

I'd agree with that, actually what I've seen probably looks worse than SD cable TV but that really depends on your provider. I think we're just not seeing eye to eye on the term "mediocre." How about LD? Upconverted VHS will look like that.

Overall I'd just recommend what Shannafey does, capture it and process it through some video software and then write it on a DVD-R. That'll give you the best possible results. Cheaper too. I don't personally do post processing on video I capture, I'm a live and let live kind of guy and just say "it is what it is."

fceurich39
02-09-2008, 06:52 PM
i took back the sony rdr-vx555 dvd recorder/vcr and got a samsung dvd recorder/vcr combo vr357 based on reviews and i must say the vhs tapes with the hdmi hookup truly upscales vhs movies which is awesome