PDA

View Full Version : Composite vs. S-video vs. HDMI

Horrorphilly
01-31-2008, 05:09 PM
I have some composite and s-video cables and cant really tell a difference.If I bought a hdmi equipped dvd player,will my regular dvds looks hd? or am I just screwed? I have a 720 hd tv.Is there a difference between the s-video and hdmi?

Sean

geeare
01-31-2008, 05:16 PM
they will NOT look HD.

eric_angelus
01-31-2008, 05:21 PM
On most DVD players, upconversion can only happen through HDMI....and yes there is a difference.

KR~!
01-31-2008, 06:02 PM
Yes but please keep in mind that the HDMI cable is NOT what is doing the up conversion, that can only be done through hardware.

dwatts
01-31-2008, 06:40 PM
And please keep in mind that it's not as simple as saying: "I have a DVD that upscales, I have a HDMI cable, so therefore eveything will look better."

It depends on the player. Get a DVD player that has gotten good reviews for upscaling, not every upscaling model is worth it.

reddye5
01-31-2008, 07:51 PM
Hi,

I thought I'd chime in here. in my opinion, the best upscaling DVD player out there that is SD only, is the Oppo 981. It's pretty much universally heralded by every reviewer for its upscaling prowess. You can check them out at: www.oppodigital.com

I have one hooked up to my BenQ PE8720 Projector upscaled to 720p though HDMI.

There is an marked increase in clarity on SD DVDs with good to excellent transfers. On DVDs with bad transfers, the upscaling just draws more attention to the bad aspects (pic noise, macroblocking, etc).

It's no HD, but it does squeeze every last bit of detail out of SD DVDs. I have over 600 SD dvds, so I'm not going to Blu Ray very soon. This definately was my best option at this point.

Note: No Component Video (YPbPr/YCbCr) on the DV-981HD model. This model is designed for use with a display device with HDMI or DVI digital video input.

The 981 can also output to 1080p if you ever upgrade your display. It can also be made region free through a hidden menu.

drown021
02-01-2008, 01:48 PM
On most DVD players, upconversion can only happen through HDMI....and yes there is a difference.

He's right.For upconversion to take place,the signal has to go through an HDMI cable.Something to do with dvd encodong or protection or something. Do NOT buy your HDMI cables at a regular store ex:Best Buy.
I bought 4 sets of $3 HDMI cables through Amazon and even though they are obviously not as well made as my $50-$100 cables,I could not see a difference in PQ or AQ. And yes,your dvd player has to do dvd upconversion.

If you were to buy an HDMI cable and your dvd player upconverts (you just said it was HDMI equipped,not upconversion) ,I would say yes,you will tell a difference.The first being the audio will sound a lot louder and clearer and the picture will look a little cleaner than SD. hope this helps and just my .02

Horrorphilly
02-01-2008, 04:47 PM
Heres my dilema.I have a brand new all region dvd player but its not hdmi or unconversion so Im looking for a all region up conversion player with hdmi hookups.Exactly how good does 720 hd look? Can someone post some screen shots?

Sean

X-human
02-01-2008, 05:16 PM
He's right.For upconversion to take place,the signal has to go through an HDMI cable.Something to do with dvd encodong or protection or something.

You can also do upconversion on component and DVI, neither of which has a digital handshake so there's no DRM. It's just that the player he mentions doesn't have component out. Doing upconversion on composite or s-video would be pointless because it can't support higher quality.

Horrorphilly your best bet is to see it for yourself. Go to the Magnolia branch of a Best Best at least or better yet a higher end shop. They'll be able to answer specific questions with specific examples.

geeare
02-01-2008, 07:27 PM
Heres my dilema.I have a brand new all region dvd player but its not hdmi or unconversion so Im looking for a all region up conversion player with hdmi hookups.Exactly how good does 720 hd look? Can someone post some screen shots?

Sean

it looks fine but remember it is not true HD 720. do yourself a favour and get a Bluray player.

shift
02-11-2008, 02:41 PM
HDMI or at least component.

neversummer
02-22-2008, 01:19 PM
I've had the Helios H4000 upscaling region free dvd player for a few years now. Most sdvds look great at 1080i (the H4000 also does 1080p if you've got a sweet tv) but of course it doesn't compare to a true 1080i digital signal. IMHO the ability to download movies is gonna deal blue ray a short life and we'll all soon be comparing the size of our hard drives rather than the quality attained by upscaling pixels.

http://www.helios-labs.com/us/products/hline/index_hline.shtml

KR~!
02-22-2008, 06:07 PM
no download looks anywhere near as good as Blu-Ray at this point plus no modem is fast enough to download films in real time. No doubt, downloading will be the future but the future is not now no matter what Bullshit websites try to sell you.

Spitfire
02-22-2008, 08:38 PM
The difference is huge. If you get and HDMI cable along with an upconverting 1080 player, you will see the difference big time. Some players, like my sony, has an option for 480p, 720p, and 1080. Once you install the player jump from the 480 to the 1080 as a trial way of seeing the difference and you will instantly see that your old dvds not only look razor sharp but contrast levels increase as well. This is definitely a must thing to do, you won't regret it.

Yes a Blu-Ray player is also the top choice, you can watch your old movies upconverted plus blu-ray on top! Win-win!

PS. Keep your region free player connected into one of the other slots,(component cable for the region free one) that way you can still view your region free discs on that player and have the upconverted one in the HDMI slot for your region 1 discs.

REDDye's DVD choice looks like a good pickup also.

Workshed
07-05-2008, 12:53 AM
OK, but what about HD Cable Television? I was over at this guy's house for a BBQ, and he had a nice, big TV and HD cable, but no HDMI.

He claimed the component cables would give the same picture because HDMI was for 1080p and HD cable only outputs 1080i. I thought a digital signal would be better than analog, though. Any help?

MacReady
07-05-2008, 06:05 AM
OK, but what about HD Cable Television? I was over at this guy's house for a BBQ, and he had a nice, big TV and HD cable, but no HDMI.

He claimed the component cables would give the same picture because HDMI was for 1080p and HD cable only outputs 1080i. I thought a digital signal would be better than analog, though. Any help?

The signal capacity of both HDMI and component cables EXCEED what is required to transmit a 1080i signal. All other things being equal,it make no difference in quality of the picture you will see on you TV screen.

rxfiend
07-05-2008, 09:13 AM
My parents bought a Phillips upscaling DVD player (I think Walmart has them for $40) and it uses HDMI for their 1080p TV set. Anyway, SD dvds look great on that thing!

Fistfuck
07-05-2008, 03:30 PM
I have some composite and s-video cables and cant really tell a difference.

If you're looking for a difference in resolution, you'll be disappointed. The difference between S-video and composite cables is that S-video splits the video signal up into its luminence and chroma components, while composite shoves both down one pipeline. Any noticable difference will be in the clarity and lack of noise in your brightness and colors.

Shannafey
07-09-2008, 04:24 AM

I second that!

Sandra06
07-07-2011, 05:47 AM
Changing the time, has developed a new device has a separate module of Jack, because some devices are composed of the s-video connector, RCA and other items. To overcome this difficulty, the s-video to RCA connector is brought to market. The image quality is an S-video to RCA connector standard varies. The yellow RCA jack cable to carry the composite video signal.

s-video cable (http://www.discountcablestore.com/S-Video-Cable.htm)