PDA

View Full Version : Would it be foolish to try and switch to blu-ray cases?

gore
02-03-2008, 05:17 PM
I dont even have an hd player, so I havent really even looked at the cases. Would it be worth trying to switch the dvds to the new cases when the time comes. I have seen the blu-ray cases without the logo for around $40 for 100. What about the size of the sleeve art compared with the old, would the ratio work? Maybe it would end up being alot of time and more money than I am thinking (depending on ones collection size). But it sure would look nice when the time arrives, not to mention more shelf room.

eric_angelus
02-03-2008, 05:53 PM
The blu ray case insert is smaller. You would have to cut your artwork.

Reverenddave
02-03-2008, 07:23 PM
Blu-Ray (and HD-DVD) cases are much shorter and a bit thinner. If you cut your artwork to fit, it would look like crap. It would be better to print custom artwork. But I don't think it's worth the trouble and cost.

And I doubt Blu-Ray is ever going to become the next DVD. It'll enjoy a healthy life as a fanatic's niche. But it won't replace standard DVD. So if you want a uniform appearance on your shelves, maybe you should consider putting your HD movies in standard DVD cases.

X-human
02-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Eh, I don't know about that. Just for example I use to name all my MP3's Black_Sabbath_-_Paranoid.mp3 (and mp2's) because when I started sharing them not all OS's supported spaces in file names. So whenever I downloaded a new MP3 with spaces I'd rename it like that. Now it's archaic, but would be too much trouble to rename them all again.

I kinda think about HD the same way. Perhaps today it would seem like a good idea to repackage all your Blu-ray's to match standard DVDs, but I think DVD will go the way of VHS. You'll start to slowly replace things or a DVD gets ruined and you'll just buy it again in HD. Because HD is so backwards compatible with SD, I think it'll be more of a seamless transition. If for whatever reason you want something new, your best choice (and in some cases your only choice) will be HD.

dwatts
02-03-2008, 09:39 PM
If shelf space is the issue then you'd be better off going for the slimline DVD cases - but you'll have an issue with the artwork. I have a Blu-Ray disc and a standard DVD infront of me right now, and they're the same thickness - so all you're saying is some height....

JW77
02-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Unless you want to cut up your artwork and have it look weird, your only real option would be to scan all of your DVD art, then reformat it to either the Blu-Ray cases or slim DVD cases, then print out new art.

For the slim cases, all you would really need to do would be to make the spine thinner. For the Blu-Ray cases,

Still, if you have hundreds of DVDs, it would be a royal pain in the ass to do.

(The only custom DVD art I've ever made is for Repo Man. I got the tin and didn't want to keep the DVD in there, so I just made a simple white DVD cover with a black "DVD" on the spine and front.)

Reverenddave
02-03-2008, 09:56 PM
If shelf space is the issue then you'd be better off going for the slimline DVD cases - but you'll have an issue with the artwork. I have a Blu-Ray disc and a standard DVD infront of me right now, and they're the same thickness - so all you're saying is some height....

Technically, the Blu-Ray cases are thinner than standard DVD cases. Five BR cases are just slightly thicker than four DVD cases. If you stack 5 BR cases next to 5 standard cases you'll see the difference. It looks like 6 BR = 5 DVD.

I should add that UK BR cases are thicker, and about the same size as standard DVD cases. This might apply to all BRs outside the USA.

I agree that if you're trying to save space, the slimline cases are the best. Especially the double cases.

dwatts
02-03-2008, 10:28 PM
I should add that UK BR cases are thicker, and about the same size as standard DVD cases. This might apply to all BRs outside the USA.

Yeah, I'm in the UK - trust me, they're the same thickness. I didn't know the case sizes varied to be honest - how stupid is that?

Anyway, I tried, they're just about the same size..... maybe a milimeter in it....