PDA

View Full Version : 16:9 and other ratios.

Horrorphilly
02-06-2008, 03:52 AM
Can someone help me? I have a w/s tv and you can watch movies in 4 different screen types.

side bar
smart stretch
zoom
stretch

Now on my dvd player,you can watch movies in

4:3 ps
4:3 lb
16:9

Heres my question.Is there a option on tv's where I can set the tv to automaticly adjust to the specific dvds? I looked in my manuals and there is nothing that mentions setting the tv/dvd player to automaticly adjust to different dvd's

Also 16:9,I thought there were no black bars during the movie?

Im sorry,if this post comes up alot,but im a newb when it comes to new tv that are w/s.

Thanks
Sean

Matt89
02-06-2008, 04:27 AM
Ok well if the DVDs are anamorphic widescreen (16x9) then you should have your DVD player set on 16x9. (You really should have it at 16x9 all the time) but if the DVD is non-anamorphic, the TV won't "stretch" the image. Anamorphic basically means that the DVD can expand and stretch to accomodate your widescreen TV and thus be viewed properly. When a DVD is non-anamorphic, that generally means it was designed for 4x3 TVs. (But in this day and age, it shows pure laziness on behalf of the studio that released it.) But a non-anamorphic DVD on a widescreen TV will be shown in a 4x3 "box". It doesn't stretch and expand to fill the entire area of your widescreen TV.

As to with the bars disappearing, what was the aspect ratio of the film you played? Usually if it's 2.20:1, 2.35:1, 2.40:1 (etc) or higher, it won't entirely eliminate the bars, however if it is 1.85:1, 1.66:1, 1.78:1 the bars will be entirely eliminated. Just because every widescreen ratio has a certain amount of screen space. The TV has to adjust so the film can be viewed properly. Hope that helps.

On your TV however, I'd probably choose smart stretch. But, try them all out a decide nfor yourself which one looks most proper.

~Matt

Matt89
02-06-2008, 04:29 AM
Oh, and I think by using smart stretch you can actually stretch non-anamorphic DVDs (not 100% sure tho). All I know is that on my friend's TV, when we watched Singin' in the Rain (a 4x3, 1.37:1 film) there was an option to stretch it to fill the entire space, so you didn't get a block image with bars on the left and right rather than the top and bottom.

~Matt

dwatts
02-06-2008, 07:26 AM
4:3 DVD's are notoriously not flagged, so my TV often gets it wrong and displays it stretched. It's only one button on the remote to switch from widescreen to 4:3 though, and everything is fixed.

I really don't notice black bars anymore. Of course at times they're there, but they're supposed to be there, so they're easily ignored. Black bars are your friend, they're making sure you get to see the film as it was intended. Try not to get into a black bar war with your TV. :D

X-human
02-06-2008, 08:19 AM
I wouldn't trust smart stretch, it took me awhile to figure out that my TV was taking 16:9 squished 4:3 and unsquishing it to 16:9 again, it looked like crap. I needed to set the DVD to 480p and then the TV was able to do anamorphic correctly. Looked much better.

Moral of the story is that you should set the DVD player to whatever aspect ratio your TV's at. Then there are sub options to windowbox, crop or stretch 4:3. Right now I have the DVD player set for a 16:9 output with the player automatically window boxing 4:3. When I get a non-anamorphic DVD it can't tell and I have to zoom in manually. That's the nature of the beast.

With anamorphic enhanced 16:9 you still will get black bars with scope films (2.20:1, 2.35:1, 2.40:1, etc) and 1.66:1. It just means the black bars have been sized for 16:9 (or 1.77:1) TV sets. When a DVD is non-anamorphic enhanced in these cases then the black bars will be thicker for a 4:3 screen. Those you'll have to zoom.

Oh and if you don't want to watch it in its OAR you'll get no pity from me.

Horrorphilly
02-06-2008, 04:01 PM
I wouldn't trust smart stretch, it took me awhile to figure out that my TV was taking 16:9 squished 4:3 and unsquishing it to 16:9 again, it looked like crap. I needed to set the DVD to 480p and then the TV was able to do anamorphic correctly. Looked much better.

Moral of the story is that you should set the DVD player to whatever aspect ratio your TV's at. Then there are sub options to windowbox, crop or stretch 4:3. Right now I have the DVD player set for a 16:9 output with the player automatically window boxing 4:3. When I get a non-anamorphic DVD it can't tell and I have to zoom in manually. That's the nature of the beast.

With anamorphic enhanced 16:9 you still will get black bars with scope films (2.20:1, 2.35:1, 2.40:1, etc) and 1.66:1. It just means the black bars have been sized for 16:9 (or 1.77:1) TV sets. When a DVD is non-anamorphic enhanced in these cases then the black bars will be thicker for a 4:3 screen. Those you'll have to zoom.

Oh and if you don't want to watch it in its OAR you'll get no pity from me.

Trust me dude Im down with OAR.Thats the boy band right? Im actually one of me and my buddys that enjoy and respect the OAR.

Sean

cgm13
02-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Probably repeating the previous posts here ...

You definitely need to go into the set-up menu on your dvd player and make sure it is switched from 4:3 to 16:9.

I don't know of any television that will automatically adjust to work with the aspect ratio of your dvd.

On my Sharp Aquos I have found that "Stretch" (not "Smart Stretch") works best for 16:9 content. I always switch back to "Side Bar" for anything that is 4:3.