PDA

View Full Version : I read somewhere that blu ray players are region free and can play pal dvds

fceurich39
02-06-2008, 06:22 PM
I am interested to find out for sure but can't find where i read that statement anyone know?

Reverenddave
02-06-2008, 08:39 PM
I am interested to find out for sure but can't find where i read that statement anyone know?

Blu-Ray players are region locked for both BR and standard DVD. And they can't play PAL.

However, many Blu-Ray discs are region free. PAL/NTSC is only an issue with standard DVDs. So you can import many Blu-Ray movies. But a BR player won't handle standard DVD imports (unless they're region free NTSC).

Check here for a list of region free Blu-Rays:

http://bluray.liesinc.net/

X-human
02-06-2008, 10:11 PM
I would think European Blu-ray disc players can do PAL conversion.

It'll probably be a few years before regionless Blu-ray players with PAL conversion become accessible.

Severn
02-06-2008, 10:18 PM
It's also region free for PS3 games so you can enjoy import games from Japan. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

rxfiend
02-06-2008, 10:25 PM
This is the thing that bothers me about buying Import DVDs, whether or not the newer players will play the PAL discs.

Reverenddave
02-06-2008, 10:33 PM
I would think European Blu-ray disc players can do PAL conversion. It'll probably be a few years before regionless Blu-ray players with PAL conversion become accessible.

Yeah, I should have been more exact. Sometimes I forget there are people living outside the USA.

I'm sure PAL countries have blu-ray players that can play PAL DVDs. But in the USA, blu-ray players can only handle NTSC DVDs. Of course, I haven't tested them all. But I know for a fact that USA PS3 won't play PAL, and I haven't heard of any USA BR players that can do it either.

Region Coding was one of the main selling points to get studios on board with Blu Ray. Some studios have said outright that region coding is a big reason why they choose BR. So I'd be a little surprised if we see a region free player. There might be hacks and stuff in the future. But since BR players require frequent firmware updates, they might try to shut that down.

X-human
02-07-2008, 06:25 AM
Region Coding was one of the main selling points to get studios on board with Blu Ray. Some studios have said outright that region coding is a big reason why they choose BR. So I'd be a little surprised if we see a region free player. There might be hacks and stuff in the future. But since BR players require frequent firmware updates, they might try to shut that down.

Yeah, well, Blu-ray also has advanced copy protection which as you've often pointed out has already been circumvented. ;) Cracks in the wall will appear, somewhere down the line.

Jeremy
02-07-2008, 08:52 AM
I would think European Blu-ray disc players can do PAL conversion.

It'll probably be a few years before regionless Blu-ray players with PAL conversion become accessible.

Strictly speaking, PAL conversion is unnecessary when we're dealing with high definition because hi-def TVs can display both NTSC and PAL signals (unless by conversion you mean upconverting a standard definition PAL signal to 1080p, which is a separate issue).

The reason that American Blu-Ray players don't play PAL discs is because they're programmed not to.

Xtro_13
02-07-2008, 09:45 AM
don't know if this site has region free hacks for blu-ray or not. But you can check it out.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

jdulaney
03-02-2008, 04:53 PM
A US company in Calif. now has ALL REGION (true codefree) blu-ray players. http://www.mindlogic.com/Prod_BLURAY.shtml