PDA

View Full Version : Netflix Goes Blu-ray Exclusive

X-human
02-11-2008, 06:27 PM
It's a surprising move, I figured Netflix would be one of the last not one of the first:Online rentailer Netflix has announced it will drop support of the HD DVD format, and will exclusively stock Blu-ray discs.

Citing the decision by four of the six major movie studios to publish high-def DVD titles only in the Sony-developed Blu-ray format, Netflix said that it would cease purchasing new HD DVD stock immediately, and that it would phase out existing HD DVD stock by year's end.

As we've previously reported, Netflix was the first major rentailer to support both high-def disc format, stocking HD DVD beginning in April of 2006, and Blu-ray in June of that same year.

"The prolonged period of competition between two formats has prevented clear communication to the consumer regarding the richness of the high-def experience versus standard definition," said Ted Sarandos, chief content officer for Netflix. "From the Netflix perspective, focusing on one format will enable us to create the best experience for subscribers who want high- definition to be an important part of how they enjoy our service."

The company says that although only a portion of Netflix subscribers have elected to receive high-def discs, a majority of those subscribers have chosen Blu-ray over HD DVD.http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/news/show/High-Def_Disc_Rentals/Netflix/Netflix_Goes_Blu-ray_Exclusive/1451

I wouldn't be surprised to see Blockbuster do the same, there's no longer any incentive for them to look competitive with Netflix on this front.

geeare
02-11-2008, 06:28 PM
gitty-up

Reverenddave
02-11-2008, 10:01 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Blockbuster do the same, there's no longer any incentive for them to look competitive with Netflix on this front.

Actually, I'd be kinda surprised to see Blockbuster Online drop HD-DVD in the near future. HD-DVD owners are going to be looking for a new place to rent discs. Check out the threads over at DVDTalk. Lots of people are talking about dropping Netflix and switching to Blockbuster's online rentals. Perhaps they'll drop HD-DVD support in a year or two as the format slowly withers and dies. But until then I think they'll be getting a lot of new customers because of Netflix's decision.

KR~!
02-11-2008, 10:27 PM
gitty-up

ha-yah

Regurgitate
02-11-2008, 11:01 PM
Sweet, I hope this war will come to a close soon. Paramount, Universal, do you see what is going on around you?

KR~!
02-12-2008, 12:34 AM
BestBuy announced they will drop HD-DVD also

http://www.streetinsider.com/Press+Releases/Best+Buy+to+Recommend+Blu-ray+as+the+Customers+Digital+Format+Choice/3345206.html

rhett
02-12-2008, 02:12 AM
pwnt.

Reverenddave
02-12-2008, 02:47 AM
BestBuy announced they will drop HD-DVD also

Best Buy isn't dropping HD-DVD. They'll be "recommending" blu-ray to customers.

The article says, "The company noted that it will continue to carry an assortment of HD-DVD products for customers who desire to purchase these products."

Ash28M
02-12-2008, 04:21 AM
I think it's pretty obvious that the end is fast approaching for HD DVD.

X-human
02-12-2008, 04:40 AM
Best Buy isn't dropping HD-DVD. They'll be "recommending" blu-ray to customers.

Yeah but, how far down the road before it's simply dropped? How long is a company going to offer a product they openly won't recommend?

And I doubt it'll be much longer than May before Blockbuster drops, and other retailers as well. Shelf space is of limited quantity, retailers won't see much point is wasting that valuable space on HD-DVD.

othervoice1
02-12-2008, 04:41 AM
Yea it is all over for HD-DVD- I am so glad I saw all this coming and started to go Blu Ray late last October and then sold off the rest of my HD-DVD stuff by early January this year at a good price- I was originally for HD-DVD but its pretty much done now.....