PDA

View Full Version : Code Red's Sole Survivor

rhett
02-12-2008, 09:44 PM
It may be coming out on April 1st, but this is no April Fool's joke - SOLE SURVIVOR will be Code Red's inaugural DVD release under their new partnership with BCI. Directed by Thom Eberhardt, who later brought us classics like NIGHT OF THE COMET and the Snake Plissken on a boat spin-off, CAPTAIN RON, this 1983 zombie flick has attained quite a following over the years. Dubbed by their press release as "a cross between FINAL DESTINATION and CARNIVALS OF SOULS", you can be the judge when it streets later this year. Like with previous Code Red titles, this one will have a nice assortment of retrospective extras.

http://horrordvds.com/vb3forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4817&stc=1&d=1202849029

Here's what to expect:

Audio commentary with star Caren Larkey, producer Sal Romeo, moderator Jeff McKay and cult horror director Jeff Burr
On camera interviews with Caren Larkey and Sal Romeo
Original theatrical trailer
Liner notes by NIGHTMARE USA author Stephen Thrower

All this for a respectable $19.98 this coming April 1st. Welcome back, guys!

KGBRadioMoskow
02-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Good news, this has been on my hit list (granted, by reputation only as I have not seen it) for quite a while.

HAEMORRHAGE
02-12-2008, 11:26 PM
I'm psyched.

Lucio Romero
02-12-2008, 11:27 PM
I payed quite a bit for this video at Amazon Marketplace about 5 years ago, never dreaming in a million years it would get a DVD release, let alone a SE with commentary.

After reading all the great reviews for it, I was a little disappointed with it on my first viewing, I was expecting the "Dead People" to be a bit more pale and frightening, but after watching it a few more times it grew on me big time. So stoked to see this SE release and I'll definitely be grabbing this on the 1st of April.

A cross between FINAL DESTINATION and CARNIVAL OF SOULS is the perfect way to describe this movie.

LUCIO!!!!!

rhett
02-13-2008, 12:51 AM
At first glance the cover looks cheap-ish, but it really has that eighties retro design that makes it work. I'll take that over the FROM BEYOND cover, which took an eighties design and made it terribly "modern" with lens flare and some terrible Photoshop tricks.

Cujo108
02-13-2008, 02:12 AM
I've been waiting for this one to hit DVD for some time. Night of the Comet is a good film, but I think this one is more worthy of the fanfare. Not counting the lame Final Destination reference, the cover is virtually the same as that of the VHS.

gore
02-13-2008, 03:08 AM
This release will indeed be a purchase for me, although I wish some of the other code red titles announced would hit the street first.

allmessedup
02-13-2008, 03:29 AM
The cover looks like the original box art for the VHS, if I remember right. Certainly looks familiar.

My wife saw this one on video during the 80s and rented it for me about 5 years ago. Very creepy film, hopefully it will develop a new following on DVD.

Hellbilly
02-13-2008, 05:27 AM
http://www.critcononline.com/images/sole%20survivor%201982%20vhs%20front2.jpg

Original Vestron Video art.

I'm all psyched about this release. Sole Survivor is a creepy little gem and one of my 80s faves :)

Katatonia
02-13-2008, 06:55 AM
Sounds like a great release, it shall be mine!

17thJuggalo
02-13-2008, 07:13 AM
I'll be picking this up, no doubt. Code Red is great.

MorallySound
02-13-2008, 01:56 PM
I used to have this on VHS. I didn't care for it that much, worth a viewing, but I don't think I'll be picking it up on DVD.

fceurich39
02-13-2008, 11:26 PM
nightmare is the main code red movie i want

VideoViolence
02-19-2008, 07:37 AM
I am all over this one!! :)

Mattapooh
02-19-2008, 05:19 PM
I really hope they put out The Dead Pit soon. Too bad it won't have the cool 3D cover like the VHS, though.

SickNick89
02-19-2008, 06:13 PM
its all about the Boardinghouse Disc for me.

Dbone
02-20-2008, 05:42 PM
Yeah!! I can't wait for this disk.

satans-sadists
02-20-2008, 06:42 PM
Sounds promising, will be sure to check this one out. Very glad to see that Code Red has joined forces with BCI. Now they should be able to stick to a regular release schedule.

Katatonia
03-23-2008, 08:50 AM
Picked mine up yesterday at a store that had it out early. Looks like a stellar release. I'm glad that Code Red isn't distributing through Media Blasters now. The packaging and disc duplication that BCI did is much better.

geekcccp
03-26-2008, 01:22 AM
Picked mine up yesterday at a store that had it out early. Looks like a stellar release. I'm glad that Code Red isn't distributing through Media Blasters now. The packaging and disc duplication that BCI did is much better.

Where did you find it out early?

Katatonia
03-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Where did you find it out early?

I'd rather not say and get them in trouble, but I will say that the first three letters of the store are Has :evil:

DrHerbertWest
03-26-2008, 06:31 PM
I'd rather not say and get them in trouble, but I will say that the first three letters of the store are Has :evil:

:D

onebyone
04-15-2008, 11:31 PM
:banana: :banana: :banana:

Finding quality 80s horror I somehow missed makes me very excited.

Oh my goodness what a great movie! I had never even heard of it until the DVD was announced. Never saw a copy in a video store, nothing, but I had to give it a chance as 80s horror is the best horror. Still, I was expecting nothing but campy goodness. I was certainly not expecting something as good as this! Best blind buy I have made in ages. 4/5 stars and I suspect it will go higher on future viewings. Good stuff.

rhett
04-16-2008, 01:25 AM
Yeah, I really enjoyed it too. It's definitely an anomaly, being the first Code Red film that's actually legitimately good without any crazy camp elements. It's like the opposite of Armageddon in the Criterion catalog.

Kolpitz
04-16-2008, 05:21 AM
Yeah, I really enjoyed it too. It's definitely an anomaly, being the first Code Red film that's actually legitimately good without any crazy camp elements.

Don't you worry, Code Red will be getting back up to standards with their upcoming release of Boarding House. It doesn't come out until April 29, but Newbury Comics had it out already so I picked that and Sole Survivor up on Friday. I hope to dig into both real soon. There's just something about Code Red's combination of bottom-of-the-barrel movies, great transfers and amateurishly shot special features that makes me want to own everything they release. Still, it's great to hear that Sole Survivor is a legitimately good movie.

DrHerbertWest
04-16-2008, 06:02 AM
I felt Sole Survivor was pretty well made and effective in parts but a little too slow for my taste. I enjoyed it but not enough to rave about it.

rhett
04-16-2008, 06:35 AM
Don't you worry, Code Red will be getting back up to standards with their upcoming release of Boarding House. It doesn't come out until April 29, but Newbury Comics had it out already so I picked that and Sole Survivor up on Friday. I hope to dig into both real soon. There's just something about Code Red's combination of bottom-of-the-barrel movies, great transfers and amateurishly shot special features that makes me want to own everything they release. Still, it's great to hear that Sole Survivor is a legitimately good movie.
Yeah, Code Red's discs are always among my favorite. So personal and so distinctive. I had a chance to check out Boardinghouse and it's definitely back to standards. It probably even raises the bar. I'll have a review up this weekend.

Mattapooh
04-16-2008, 12:42 PM
I pre-ordered Boarding House and got Sole Survivor along with it, so I'm excited to check these out.

My girlfriend rented Don't Go Into the Woods when she was young, so she bought that DVD a year or so ago when we randomly spotted it at a store. Good thing Code Red's re-releasing The Forest, Devil Times Five and their other stuff so I can grab those as well.

YottNik
04-16-2008, 11:02 PM
Strange, I pre-ordered Sole Survivor from Deep Discount on 3/26... Got an email today saying it had been discontinued. And it's not listed on their site anymore. Something doesn't smell right here.

Anyone else order this from DD? Did you end up getting it?

Edit: Just checked dvdplanet and dvdpacific and they're both listing it as out of stock. Maybe there's just been a nice run on them. Amazon is showing it, but at $17.99 -- I think I'll wait, DD and others were listing it from $11-13.

ReelFear
04-17-2008, 12:25 AM
i pre-ordered it at DVDplanet, and never received it. Then i cancelled the order and re-ordered from BUY.com, which had it listed in stock for under $12. They have not sent me any confirmation of the shipment. the worst part is after i ordered it i went to KIM's video in NYC and they had at least a dozen copies at $16.99. Now i just have to wait and see if buy.com comes through...

Kolpitz
04-17-2008, 01:11 AM
Strange, I pre-ordered Sole Survivor from Deep Discount on 3/26... Got an email today saying it had been discontinued. And it's not listed on their site anymore. Something doesn't smell right here.

Edit: Just checked dvdplanet and dvdpacific and they're both listing it as out of stock. Maybe there's just been a nice run on them. Amazon is showing it, but at $17.99 -- I think I'll wait, DD and others were listing it from $11-13.

i pre-ordered it at DVDplanet, and never received it. Then i cancelled the order and re-ordered from BUY.com, which had it listed in stock for under $12. They have not sent me any confirmation of the shipment. the worst part is after i ordered it i went to KIM's video in NYC and they had at least a dozen copies at $16.99. Now i just have to wait and see if buy.com comes through...

I originally ordered both Sole Survivor and Boarding House from Deep Discount. They were the cheapest there ($11.99 apiece) and I usually rely on DD for my genre pre-orders. However, as soon as 4/1 hit and Sole Survivor was supposed to be out, I noticed that it was still listed as pre-order in my order status, but it had no date anymore. When I did a search, I noticed that it was listed as unavailable. I did some research on-line and found that this was happening on many websites. Apparently, Amazon had it listed as out of stock and when it came back in stock they jacked the price up to $17.99. Code Red's response to all this was that the online distributors were purposely depleting their initial stock so they could raise the price (ever paranoid, those Code Redders). But, I bit the bullet and ordered both from Amazon anyway. The very next day I found both at Newbury Comics for $14.99 each, so I bought them. Back when Code Red was just getting started they claimed that each DVD would be limited to 3000 copies because they couldn't afford to press much more than that on "niche" DVDs. This limited number may be leading to the shortages, as it appears that Code Red has underestimated the demand for their product.

KGBRadioMoskow
04-17-2008, 08:20 AM

Was going to, but the day of the release I hit one of the local Frys because a couple DVDs I was after were out that day. Didn't see Sole Survivor at first, and figured they didn't order it or did the typical "order 1" and it sold out. On a hunch I checked the sci-fi section. The idiots at Frys often don't know what category niche DVDs belong in, it sometimes pays off to check the other sections. And since the cover art looks like a sci-fi movie, I figured some stocking drone shrugged and stuffed it there. Sure enough, they had the requisite 1 copy in the wrong section. Might be the only reason why they still had it in stock.

Didn't realize until later that my chance of readily picking the DVD up would have been slim.

MrKateB
04-17-2008, 08:54 PM
I had the same problem at DeepDiscount...I had briefly fantasized about finding it on the shelf at BestBuy, but decided I didn't need the stink, so I just ordered it off their site. Supposed to be here tomorrow...(making little quotes with my fingers, "supposed to be")....

jstell
04-17-2008, 09:43 PM
Video Universe has in stock for $11.09.

ReelFear
04-17-2008, 09:56 PM
i just got confirmation that Buy.com has shipped my copy of Sole Survivor. $11.79 + shipping. To my door for under $15. Not too bad! I cant wait to see this again after 17 years!

YottNik
04-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Thanks for all the info... I went ahead and ordered it from Video Universe for $14.08 shipped. It showed as being in stock... we'll see.

Kolpitz
04-21-2008, 07:59 AM
So, I finally got around to watching this and I thought it was pretty good. Not great, but pretty good. I think Night of the Comet's a better movie but this is a solid debut feature. I might've liked it a little more had I not had this really bad, really annoying eyelid twitch that was driving me nuts throughout the whole movie. So, maybe on my second viewing a ways down the road, I'll get a little more out of it. Code Red does stellar work as usual, with a solid, almost blemish free transfer. I noticed the interlacing that Rhett was talking about as well. The sound was a little low and I had to turn it up more than I usually do. All in all, definitely Code Red's best film to date because, well, it's actually a competently made movie. Thankfully, they dove back down to the bottom of the barrel with Boardinghouse.

Mutilated Prey
07-07-2008, 11:00 PM
Hey - is your folks' copy of this DVD single or dual layer?

Katatonia
07-07-2008, 11:19 PM
Hey - is your folks' copy of this DVD single or dual layer?

single.

Mutilated Prey
07-08-2008, 12:17 AM
Thanks Katatonia - mine is too, and has a clear case. I was curious because all my other Code Red's are dual layer, and I saw mixed DVD reviews on single and dual layer DVD's for this release.

CodeRedDVd
07-08-2008, 04:11 AM
This limited number may be leading to the shortages, as it appears that Code Red has underestimated the demand for their product.

We still got tons of it sitting at warehouses, so no underestimating here. :( etailers under ordered it, for perhaps they werent familiar with our company, as we had to kind of start over again. Everyone, please buy them, as there is still plenty left for everyone!

Mutilated Prey
07-08-2008, 04:33 PM
Hey CodeRed is on here - woohoo! Everyone better stop talking trash about the Dead Pit 2 disc'er and Deep Discount DVD fiasco :D

Hellbilly
07-17-2014, 06:38 PM
The German DVD contains both the Theatrical version & the uncut version, which runs about six minutes longer. They appear to be (deleted) scenes once edited for pacing inserted back. Has anyone ever seen this longer version?

Marshall Crist
07-27-2014, 10:19 AM
The German DVD contains both the Theatrical version & the uncut version, which runs about six minutes longer. They appear to be (deleted) scenes once edited for pacing inserted back. Has anyone ever seen this longer version?
Which movie are we talking about here?

Hellbilly
07-27-2014, 01:58 PM
Which movie are we talking about here?

Sole Survivor

Zombie Dude
07-27-2014, 04:22 PM
Sole Survivor

:lol: