PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba to Drop HD DVD [Dreamcast also rules]

othervoice1
02-15-2008, 01:49 AM
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Toshiba/Report:_Toshiba_to_Drop_HD_DVD/1468

Ash J. Williams
02-15-2008, 01:57 AM
*MUSIC CUE: Funeral March of a Marionette*

X-human
02-15-2008, 02:28 AM
In other news, water is wet and fire burns.

Although there's no doubt that overall it's true (Toshiba will drop HD-DVD), to say the announcement is "weeks away" is vague enough that it could even be months and months from now. So this is a pretty useless "tip off" to me.

shift
02-16-2008, 05:54 AM
feel sorry for all that got the HD dvd player :(

Dave
02-16-2008, 09:06 AM
Rip

Spitfire
02-16-2008, 09:58 AM
Wow! I did see this coming, Blu-ray is outselling them by a hefty margin and Walmart is carrying only Blu-Ray, that along with Netflix going exclusive to Blu-Ray and then losing Warner was the final nail in the coffin! HD-DVD's weakest point is lack of studio support, they can't exist with such little studio support behind it . . . that really was what ended their market.

Cool thing is that we will finally have one format and I like the winner indeed.

zombi3
02-17-2008, 05:46 PM
feel sorry for all that got the HD dvd player :(

Why? My HD DVD player still works.

KR~!
02-17-2008, 07:04 PM
Why? My HD DVD player still works.

So does my friend's betamax player ;)

X-human
02-17-2008, 08:33 PM
So does my friend's betamax player ;)

So does my D-VHS, Sega Dreamcast, Nintendo Virtual Boy and Atari Jaguar.

The obvious question would be "is there enough unique HD-DVD content to warrant its continued existence." People are still designing home brewed games for both Dreamcast and Jaguar, and the Virtual Boy offers an entirely unique experience. HD-DVD just doesn't seem to have that.

Much like why VHS and even LD are still desirable in some way with its unique titles, HD-DVD will only stay as relevant as its content. In its short life span very little if any titles will remain exclusive to HD-DVD. Eventually the online feature will stop working. The technological specs are below Blu-ray so quality wise only unique cases where the Blu-ray disc was poorly made will the HD-DVD be a desirable alternative (in the short term).

So there's not much there to prevent a HD-DVD player from becoming just another door stop.

zombi3
02-17-2008, 10:32 PM
Much like why VHS and even LD are still desirable in some way with its unique titles, HD-DVD will only stay as relevant as its content. In its short life span very little if any titles will remain exclusive to HD-DVD. Eventually the online feature will stop working. The technological specs are below Blu-ray so quality wise only unique cases where the Blu-ray disc was poorly made will the HD-DVD be a desirable alternative (in the short term).

So there's not much there to prevent a HD-DVD player from becoming just another door stop.

Well HD DVD players also play DVDs, don't they? Once BD sweeps DVD aside then yes, HD DVD players will be doorstops. Until that happens I will continue to enjoy my SD and HD DVDs on the old XA2.

othervoice1
02-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Hey those that have HD-DVD players are about to get a bunch of movies available to them for dirt dirt cheap- and you can play SD on them too- the players were so much cheaper to begin with compared to blu-ray players its a no lose situation- you will get your moneys worth out of the player at least- and if they start fire selling movies for like 5.00 that aint too bad either

shift
02-18-2008, 12:41 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The obvious question would be "is there enough unique HD-DVD content to warrant its continued existence." People are still designing home brewed games for both Dreamcast and Jaguar, and the Virtual Boy offers an entirely unique experience. HD-DVD just doesn't seem to have that.

baggio
02-19-2008, 10:42 PM
Hey those that have HD-DVD players are about to get a bunch of movies available to them for dirt dirt cheap- and you can play SD on them too- the players were so much cheaper to begin with compared to blu-ray players its a no lose situation- you will get your moneys worth out of the player at least- and if they start fire selling movies for like 5.00 that aint too bad either

Not if you bought one of the first ones out on the market for over $700. Especialy since better versions of the player are being sold for under half of that.

baggio
02-19-2008, 10:50 PM

Unfortunately, nothing will be exclusive for HD-DVD. All those titles will see Blu-Ray. Your talking roughly 400 titles will be available. Actually most are already. Over 90% of them are current titles. I can't see Major titles not going over to Blu-Ray.

KamuiX
02-19-2008, 10:59 PM

Yeah, but Dreamcast is pure awesome!

rhett
02-19-2008, 11:50 PM
Yeah, but Dreamcast is pure awesome!
Seconded.

Ash J. Williams
02-20-2008, 12:17 AM
Seconded.

And, promptly shot down.

Now, granted, I never played the Shenmues, but there's not much else worth keeping the ol' Dreambox around that I can't get elsewhere at lower cost and hassle.

Ikaruga will be on XBOX Live Arcade in a couple weeks, perhaps. I've always preferred Soul Calibur II over the first in every aspect. Controller's bulky, system's got that cccrcrrcrrcazy ccrrcrrccreakking sound whenever it's turned on. Beyond that, you've got some shovelware and a boatload of crap that's been ported and/or failed to stand the test of time.

The very moment Shenmue I and II are resurrected, and Power Stone II is ported to anything except the Got-tamm'd PSP, there will be positively no reason to keep the damned thing displayed for anything but show. And excuse me for playing devil's advocate, but if I have a choice between proudly displaying my Dreamcast or any Ninty console from the 64 down, I'm gonna choose the latter.

There. I said it.

KamuiX
02-20-2008, 04:48 AM
Soul Calibur (still phenomenal)
Jet Grind Radio
Shenmue
Space Channel 5
Grandia II (better than the PS2 version)
Berserk
Samba De Amigo
MDK2
Typing of the Dead
Cannon Spike
Gunbird 2
Maken X
Seaman
Skies of Arcadia
Sonic Adventure (the only good 3D Sonic title)

Sure, some of those came to other systems, but they all just felt better on a "Sega" system. Plus every 2D fighting game looks and plays better on DC. And just the thought of the countless hours, days, and months wasted on Phantasy Stay Online will always make Dreamcast a fine, fine memory for me. It was when Sega was still awesome, taking chances and innovating. It was a system that deserved way better.

Livingdead102
02-20-2008, 05:13 AM
Dude, you forgot Virtua Tennis. It is quite possible that I have never, ever played any game as much as I have played Virtua Tennis. Tetris and Tekken 3 could be close.

Noto
02-20-2008, 06:08 AM
Soul Calibur (still phenomenal) - Part II was better though.
Jet Grind Radio - WORD! I wish there was a true port of this.
Shenmue - This series needs to be revived.
Space Channel 5 - Both the original and sequel are available on PS2 - really good ports too.
Grandia II (better than the PS2 version) - Only because the framerate staggers a bit. Otherwise there is no difference. Great RPG though.
Berserk
Samba De Amigo - Coming to Wii
MDK2 - Ported to PS2; Great insanely difficult game though.
Typing of the Dead
Cannon Spike
Gunbird 2 - Weak
Maken X - Ass on skates. I would give my right eye to have never played this.
Seaman - Innovative, but there isn't much depth to it.
Skies of Arcadia - Ported to GameCube with added features; can be played on Wii.
Sonic Adventure (the only good 3D Sonic title) - I wouldn't even give it that distinction - Also ported to GameCube and playable on Wii

Dreamcast was an awesome beast. It is true that almost everything worthwhile is available elsewhere though.

rhett
02-20-2008, 06:54 AM
Let's not forget their pioneering of online gameplay. I'd put QUAKE 3 ARENA on that list too, because at the time (and probably still today), you get a more consistent framerate and connection there than you did (do) on the most high end of computers. And it still looked phenomenal. And let's not forget the greatest puzzle game of all, CHU CHU ROCKET. SEGA RALLY 2 is still a top class racer, even if REVO's awesome physics engine dwarfs it. And hello, CRAZY TAXI!

rhett
02-20-2008, 06:55 AM
Dude, you forgot Virtua Tennis. It is quite possible that I have never, ever played any game as much as I have played Virtua Tennis. Tetris and Tekken 3 could be close.
Oh, and the VMUs were amazing peripherals. No memory card even comes close in the cool department. I loved the idea of being able to actually play VIRTUA TENNIS looking at nothing but the VMU screen. That's game design!

drown021
02-23-2008, 05:19 AM
Thats funny,my wifes friend was teasing me about my dreamcast I have still have hooked up. Dreamcast RULES!!!!!

KamuiX
02-23-2008, 05:28 AM
Soul Calibur (still phenomenal) - Part II was better though.

Part II is damn good, but I still love the original more. It was a technical marvel (hell, it still looks good), and the gameplay was incredible. I don't think there were THAT many great imrpovements in the sequel, outside of the graphics, to make it that "wow" experience like the first was.

And yeah, the VMU was damn cool...being able to play NFL2K in the same room as your friend without them seeing your play calling was genius.

DrHerbertWest
02-23-2008, 05:10 PM
Wasn't the Dreamcast the system that had WWF In Your House too? If so, that game was WICKED.

KamuiX
02-24-2008, 12:59 AM
Wasn't the Dreamcast the system that had WWF In Your House too? If so, that game was WICKED.

Nah, DC sucked with wrestling games, all they had was the arcade port of Royal Rumble (fun for like 10 minutes), and the shitty ECW games.