PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Golden Era Fulci

rhett
02-20-2008, 12:41 AM
In light of Jeremy's awesome review for NEW YORK RIPPER, let's look back on Lucio Fulci. Not Lucio Fulci the talented artisan of all genres, but Fulci, the man who brought depraved gorefest after depraved gorefest from ZOMBIE to MANHATTAN BABY. It was a prolific and immensely lucid period for the man, and while he had some classics afterward, mainly CONQUEST, let's look at the bulk of the movies he'll really be remembered for. Before we get any hate, I'll start by saying that all his early gialli dominate, but that's for another thread. Let's focus on the 1979-1982 stuff.

Matt89
02-20-2008, 12:59 AM
I dunno why but House by the Cemetery. I like the atmosphere the film has. Maybe that's it? LOL. But yeah, definitely House by the Cemetery.

~Matt

Mattapooh
02-20-2008, 01:10 AM
Fulci's flicks are bizarre in that they're not even really good films, but the atmosphere is just horrific. It's so strange that even with all the plot holes, bad acting, bad dialogue, etc., they're still very enjoyable and worth watching.

For that, I'm gonna say The Beyond, just because it nails that "off" feeling more than the others.

SaviniFan
02-20-2008, 01:12 AM
City of the Living Dead. Fantastic gore and Giovanni Lombardo Radice. Always a winning combination.

rhett
02-20-2008, 01:16 AM
City of the Living Dead. Fantastic gore and Giovanni Lombardo Radice. Always a winning combination.
Ann? Mommy says you're not dead. Is that true?

Horrorphilly
02-20-2008, 01:40 AM
Im really surprised that Zombie isnt leading the pack.I myself love Zombie but my second favorite movie is City of the living dead.I can give or take Dont torture a duckling.The Beyond is a great movie, so is House by the cemetery and I need to watch The NY ripper again.

Sean

DrHerbertWest
02-20-2008, 02:00 AM
The Beyond always and forever. I enjoy all of the above.

reddye5
02-20-2008, 02:18 AM
For me, it's a tie between The Beyond and City. Gave the edge to City. I love the vibe of the flick so much.

Love them all though for different reasons though.

wago70
02-20-2008, 02:55 AM
ZOMBIE was the first I saw (September 1981, downtown theater triple feature, scratched print - doesn't get any better than that). It remains my favorite. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/wago70/Movie%20Ads/triple.jpg

Spit
02-20-2008, 03:16 AM
I went with Zombie, I can watch that movie over and over again. The Beyond is a close second though. But, in all fairness I never saw Manhattan Baby.

thrashard76
02-20-2008, 03:33 AM
Zombie

Matt89
02-20-2008, 04:07 AM
ZOMBIE was the first I saw (September 1981, downtown theater triple feature, scratched print - doesn't get any better than that). It remains my favorite. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/wago70/Movie%20Ads/triple.jpg

Hahaha BLOOD BEACH! Two of the greatest taglines ever came from that movie:

"The five people believed to have drowned here never even made it past the sand!"

And....wait for it....wait for it....

"Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water - you can't get to it." :lol:

Hahaha, awesome shit.

~Matt

Erick H.
02-20-2008, 05:59 AM
I'll go with THE BEYOND,edging out ZOMBIE.While ZOMBIE is great and is pacier,THE BEYOND has this strange ''something'' about it that I love.It's got an odd mood and a creepy local,plus the music fits it just right.Also,I always enjoyed Warbeck (Rest In Peace) and McCall.

ZoSo
02-20-2008, 06:20 AM
CotLD for me, with The Beyond & Zombie tied for 2nd.

Paff
02-20-2008, 06:20 AM
I definitely prefer "old" Fulci to "golden era" Fulci. Duckling is my favorite, and I recently saw The Psychic and dug that a LOT.

My favorite in this list is City of the Living Dead, as I feel it has a more consistant tone than the rather rambling Beyond. Zombie is up there too, although I seem to be in the minority that finds zombie vs. shark to be among the dumbest things ever put on screen.
House by the Cemetery I just can't get into. That one's a stinker.

Matt89
02-20-2008, 06:32 AM
although I seem to be in the minority that finds zombie vs. shark to be among the dumbest things ever put on screen.

Yeah, count me in.

Am I the only one who found Zombie to be a bit, well...slow? (no pun intended.)

~Matt

rhett
02-20-2008, 06:47 AM
Aw, I love the zombie versus shark bit. Nothing spells the apocalypse more than when the undead takes out the top of the food chain.

dwatts
02-20-2008, 07:15 AM
Tough choice between Zombi and The Beyond. Zombi is a perfect litle horror film. I love the windswept scenes of flea-bitten dogs moving down the street while zombies saunter along like hungover teens from hell. The gore is good, and the punch line at the end terrific. It has the shark, and that unbelievable THUD THUD soundtrack which to genre fans is an recognizable as the Jaws theme.

The Beyond has all that mad twisted logic thrown up in all places. Even stupid errors such as the bullet loading scene in the elevator only adds to the overall weirdness and time-spacial liberties. The apolocalyptic climax is unbelievable, as is the bridge scene (which gave us as a by-product as great promotional shot of Fulci himself). It's also were Fulci finally broke the abilities of his FX people to work on zero budget.... notice no-one else used pipe-clesner spiders after this experiment. :D

Yet the schoolgirl in the mortuary scene is wonderful, with the foaming red blood speading across the floor like storm clouds quickly blotting out the sun. So many good moments.

Those two are equal, but if I've got to click one it's The Beyond. There's no real justification of chosing one over the other though.

MorallySound
02-20-2008, 07:16 AM
City of the Living Dead (Gates of Hell).

rhett
02-20-2008, 07:45 AM
City of the Living Dead (Gates of Hell).
Yeah, I never liked how it's been dubbed CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD here on DVD. GATES OF HELL is a much more suggestive, not to mention original, title.

MorallySound
02-20-2008, 08:01 AM
Yeah, I never liked how it's been dubbed CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD here on DVD. GATES OF HELL is a much more suggestive, not to mention original, title.
Mhmm. Agreed.

Rockmjd
02-20-2008, 08:28 AM

I agree, although City of the Living Dead is closer to it's original title.

dwatts
02-20-2008, 09:26 AM
I like City of the Living Dead as the title.... maybe Gates of Hell as the name for the twin pack with The Beyond.....

Mutilated Prey
02-20-2008, 03:59 PM
The Beyond, Zombie and House by the Cemetery are all great. Manhattan Baby stinks!

Paff
02-20-2008, 04:53 PM
Yet the schoolgirl in the mortuary scene is wonderful, with the foaming red blood speading across the floor like storm clouds quickly blotting out the sun.

That's certainly a less comical impression than I get from that scene, which I refer to as the "Killer Milkshake". And with that name, I know the next time I watch The Beyond, I'll be yelling "I drink your milkshake!" when that scene comes on. Which is only gonna make it even less serious...

HAEMORRHAGE
02-20-2008, 05:11 PM
It's tough cause they're all almost on the same level for me but I went with the first Fulci movie I ever saw: New York Ripper.

satans-sadists
02-20-2008, 05:36 PM
City of the Living Dead has more recently grown on me. I think it has the most oppressively haunting atmosphere of Fulci's films from this era, not to mention the star presence of Christopher George. The coffin and pickaxe scene in the cemetery with George and Catriona MacColl is my favorite moment. I bought the soundtrack last year and have been spinning it pretty regularly. The Beyond followed by Zombie would be my next choices.

j tea
02-20-2008, 07:31 PM
although 'the beyond' and 'city' are my favorites, i went with 'house by the cemetery' for two reasons: the noise that freudstein (ha!) makes in the basement is the scariest thing i have ever heard, and i think when the first kill is dragged away the blood streak is perfect... could have used a maggot storm though... also, bob owns.

wago70
02-20-2008, 07:41 PM
Yeah, count me in.

Am I the only one who found Zombie to be a bit, well...slow? (no pun intended.)

~Matt
There were lots of yawns in the theater that lazy afternoon I first saw it. After a promising beginning, even I was feeling a tad let down...until that sequence in the burial ground picked things up.
I still felt like I was seeing something forbidden. :evil:

Paff
02-20-2008, 07:49 PM
I need to see Zombie again. For some reason, I only tend to put it in when I'm shitfaced, so I usually pass out or fall asleep not long after they get to Matool. I'm totally familiar with the New York harbor and boat scenes, having seen it so many times...but I'm foggy on a lot of the island stuff...

Crystal Plumage
02-20-2008, 08:13 PM
I always have had a soft spot for House by the Cemetery.
Although I do enjoy Zombi and The Beyond equally as much.

dwatts
02-20-2008, 08:32 PM
That's certainly a less comical impression than I get from that scene, which I refer to as the "Killer Milkshake". And with that name, I know the next time I watch The Beyond, I'll be yelling "I drink your milkshake!" when that scene comes on. Which is only gonna make it even less serious...

Yeah, that's different. :D Actually I don't find the scene remotely comical, it's rather poignant and represents one of the legitmate "horrors" in the film. It's a true work of genius in my books, and packs quite the punch....

You know, I'm not a big fan of House by the Cemetary. It's not grown on me over the years either. It's so dour, and not at all scary. The soundtrack is good, but the film itself is a minor effort really. The story is poor, and the gravestone in the dining room is just plain hilarious....

allmessedup
02-20-2008, 09:28 PM
I saw ZOMBIE first, and it's left the longest impression on me, so that's my pick. It just barely edges out CITY and THE BEYOND.

I don't have much enthusiasm for HOUSE either. And NEW YORK RIPPER is just not my style of horror, so I've never been crazy about it. Haven't seen THE BLACK CAT or MANHATTAN BABY.

Rockmjd
02-20-2008, 11:42 PM
I never really understood what was going on in the 'Killer Milkshake' scene. The mother just screams and when the girl goes into the morgue, she's lying down and a random vat of acid falls on her face. WTF?!

dwatts
02-20-2008, 11:58 PM
The Beyond is one big WTF?! Narrative logic is not something the film addressed. If you cling onto logic, you're not going to have a good time. Forget the need to understand what's going on in some linear narrative sense, and just let the images flow. Might help. ;)

indiephantom
02-21-2008, 12:32 AM
New York Ripper. One of my favorite giallos and the sleaziest Fulci I've seen. Love that pic.

Paff
02-21-2008, 12:44 AM
The Beyond is one big WTF?! Narrative logic is not something the film addressed. If you cling onto logic, you're not going to have a good time. Forget the need to understand what's going on in some linear narrative sense, and just let the images flow. Might help. ;)

Sorry man, I just can't entry into that state of mind:lol:

gore
02-21-2008, 02:29 AM
Zombie and City pretty much rule. The Beyond is so accurately titled its not even funny. Its past the 1982 mark but I really enjoyed Demonia despite the negative press.

dwatts
02-21-2008, 02:36 AM
Sorry man, I just can't entry into that state of mind:lol:

Fair enough mate, we all have different viewpoints. It's a pity people can't stop laughing at The Beyond, and see beyond (!) it's obvious deficiencies. It's a terrific little horror film, but it has that edge only the Italians were able to muster. It's dream logic (a phrase used to explain that it's logic is a lack of logic) is a wonderful ride for me. Fulci is going all out, the writers are pushing the envelope, and the ambiance of the film is far better than the likes of City of the Living Dead, which is basically just another zombie flick with no ending. But yeah, we all like different things. I hold The Beyond dear, we're lucky to have any of them in decent versions really.

Paff
02-21-2008, 06:14 AM
Fair enough mate, we all have different viewpoints....

If you re-read my post, there's an inside joke to The Beyond in it....

bwana the clown
02-21-2008, 06:47 AM
I voted for House By The Cemetery. I can watch that again and again and it never gets boring. THe scenes between the redheaded little girl and Bob are just amazingly haunting to me (despite the awesomely hilarious dubbing!).

dwatts
02-21-2008, 08:29 AM
If you re-read my post, there's an inside joke to The Beyond in it....

Sorry man - it was 2.30am in the morning and I was just recovering from Lon Chaney's The Penalty. OR - I can be a humorless bastard sometimes. :lol:

kimboslice
02-21-2008, 11:15 AM
Definately Zombie.... his most impressive film by far

DVD-fanatic-9
02-24-2008, 02:20 AM
Fulci is on the whole, such a bad filmmaker, that my favorite film is Zombie which I think is also clearly his best film. The Beyond has some beautiful scenes. But none of those include any gore. Those gore scenes are like a racecar driver hitting the break petal during the Indy 500. It kind of crashes the whole thing. Sinks the whole ship.

BloodMan
02-24-2008, 03:52 AM
The Beyond... no contest... just so damn friggin' good!

X-human
02-24-2008, 05:28 AM
I had to vote for The New York Ripper. It's hard to beat a homicidal Donald Duck. It also makes a good pairing with The Gore-Gore Girls.

City of the Living Dead and Zombie would be next. Although I can see why people like The Beyond better because of its execution I think City of the Living Dead had the better ideas.

rhett
02-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Yeah, without an ending, and being the middle child, it's really easy to overlook CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD. I greatly prefer ZOMBIE and THE BEYOND, but Bob and the frame shatter ending are still enough for me to, at the very least, never forget COTLD. That and Lustig's wonderful homage in UNCLE SAM.

dwatts
02-24-2008, 08:57 PM
I always sound like I'm bashing City of the Living Dead - but it's not really the case at all. In fact, back in the day, it was the imagery from COTLD that stuck in mind over that in The Beyond or Zombi 2. It does indeed have some very fine moments. Over time though, I've come to appreciate the other movies better. They have better soundtracks, and I think overall a better tone. The ending in COTLD is indeed classic, but in the end, not in a good way for me. It's curious, strange, and down right WTF. But it's not "good". So I dock it for that.

Coverdale
02-25-2008, 02:51 AM
I picked New York Ripper. I also love Zombie, the Beyond, and House by the Cemetery. City of the Living Dead is just OK to me, but Manhattan Baby blows. Haven't seen The Black Cat.

17thJuggalo
02-25-2008, 03:09 AM
I picked New York Ripper. I also love Zombie, the Beyond, and House by the Cemetery. City of the Living Dead is just OK to me, but Manhattan Baby blows. Haven't seen The Black Cat.

The Black Cat is hilarious to me. Basically, its a homicidal cat, but its so damn cute I don't understand how anyone could be afraid of it.

wago70
02-25-2008, 03:14 AM
NEW YORK RIPPER is the film I wish I had seen in a theater on Times Square. I don't recall it playing any theaters in San Francisco, L.A. or other big cities. I remember GATES OF HELL was advertised heavily in 1983. ZOMBIE was, as well. I remember staring at the poster at our drive-in and thinking that it's gotta be the scariest movie ever made. THE BEYOND didn't reach my hometown until 1985 as "7 DOORS OF DEATH". Had I known it was a Fulci film (instead of Louis Fuller) I would have gone to see it. I clipped and saved the newspaper ad anyway hoping to see the flicks, but after 6 days...gone.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/wago70/Movie%20Ads/beyond.jpg

Another one missing from screens in my area was THE BLACK CAT and EYE OF THE EVIL DEAD (MANHATTAN BABY, of course :) ). Both films had some sort of mention in Fangoria and, not knowing how films were distributed (if at all), I watched the newspaper ads every Friday for almost a year waiting for those films to show up.
So far, DVDs have given Fulci's films much better due than the cinemas have.

Gore Lunatic
02-25-2008, 10:59 AM
Zombie easily gets my vote.

Coverdale
02-26-2008, 03:13 AM
So 1979-82 would be Fulci's "Classic Period." What would be considered Argento's? 1975-1987? (But he had the animal trilogy of giallo, so perhaps 1969-1987?)

Yowie
02-28-2008, 05:20 PM
The Beyond is a stroke of genius, it all clicks in that film, the strangeness/otherworldliness is overpowering more than in any other Fulci. Zombie second, COTLD third, The Black Cat fourth, THBTC fifth, Manhattan Baby sixth, New York Ripper 7th.

soxfan666
02-28-2008, 11:37 PM
zombie is in my top 10 favorite movies.

Darga
02-29-2008, 12:01 AM
I remember being very disappointed the first time I saw 'The Beyond', back in '98(?) when Rolling Thunder Pictures did the theatrical re-release. I was expecting a zombie gut-muncher and got something completely different. While the film has grown on me quite a bit and it might be technically better, my favorite Fulci film still is and will always be 'Zombie'.

Grim
02-29-2008, 12:21 AM

Yeah I held onto my vhs with that title just because I think its a better title. My vote went to The Beyond. Typical choice I know, but I still think it was the most stylish and atmospheric of the bunch.