PDA

View Full Version : I wonder if microsoft xbox 360 will go blu ray now that hd-dvd is fading out!

fceurich39
02-24-2008, 08:37 PM
I read over at xbox360 forums that rumors are starting to circulate that microsoft might make a blu ray add on down the road anyone else think so?

dwatts
02-24-2008, 08:51 PM
They're making noises about moving their hi-def plans to downloads rather than BR. We'll see.

Noto
02-24-2008, 08:59 PM
They're making noises about moving their hi-def plans to downloads rather than BR. We'll see.

They've had HD downloadable movies on their servers for almost two years now.

The big deal currently is that they just acquired the MGM collection and are slowly releasing those on Xbox Live as well.

othervoice1
02-25-2008, 03:03 AM
I think they will just stick to the downloads- their HD movie library has been getting bigger and bigger- I dont think they have any need to come up with a blu-ray add on-

Fistfuck
02-25-2008, 03:08 AM
I don't see Microsoft joining forces with their biggest competitor (Sony, who owns Blu-Ray) just because HD-DVD failed. The 360 wasn't touted as the end-all, be-all of home entertainment systems.

thrashard76
03-04-2008, 07:29 PM
I don't see Microsoft joining forces with their biggest competitor (Sony, who owns Blu-Ray) just because HD-DVD failed.

That does seem rather backwards if Microsoft did go that route. Maybe they could lower there price tag for their systems at any rate. I still want to get a 360.

Fistfuck
03-05-2008, 12:06 AM
That does seem rather backwards if Microsoft did go that route. Maybe they could lower there price tag for their systems at any rate. I still want to get a 360.

You can get the 360 Arcade for $270 I think. I'm eyeing that one up once I pass some debt like a bad kidney stone.

thrashard76
03-05-2008, 01:38 AM
You can get the 360 Arcade for $270 I think. I'm eyeing that one up once I pass some debt like a bad kidney stone.That's about right price wise. I just want the price to go down to at most $200 for the core version.

Fistfuck
03-05-2008, 01:45 AM
That's about right price wise. I just want the price to go down to at most $200 for the core version.

Yeah my concern is the games. $60 for new games is just too much for a cheap bastard like me who buys everything secondhand on Amazon and Ebay. However, I just can't wait to sit down with Bioshock, Mass Effect, Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon, Fallout 3, Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway, and Lost Odessey.

old-boo-radley
03-05-2008, 01:56 AM
I question just what the hell people are thinking when buying an add-on to a system that is about as reliable as a used rubber in a pit of needles.

rxfiend
03-05-2008, 02:09 AM
Yeah the Red Rings of Death syndrome is pretty shitty. I bought my Xbox 360 from my brother, whom already had it sent off to get it fixed. I really hope it doesn't fuck up on me.
If Xbox did come out with a blu-ray add on, I doubt I'd go for it. I'd just purchase a PS3 and be done with it. :D

FistFuck, I'm with you on the game prices. I won't pay anything over $30 for a game, $20 if it's used. With the Xbox 360, I've found quite a few games that fall into that range. I picked up Dead Rising for $30 new the other day, and that game alone is worth getting a Xbox 360!

Noto
03-05-2008, 02:19 AM
My 360 system never had a single issue.

thrashard76
03-05-2008, 02:27 AM
For as long as this system has been out, the new game prices (around $60) is too much to ask. $50 is about what I'd pay for a new game on release day in the past but since there is a whole back catalog of 360 games out now at a reduced price, when I do get a 360 I won't be getting many if any super new games for the system. Rather, I'd go for the Platinum Hits and older cheaper games.

Fistfuck
03-05-2008, 02:50 AM
Yeah the Red Rings of Death syndrome is pretty shitty. I bought my Xbox 360 from my brother, whom already had it sent off to get it fixed. I really hope it doesn't fuck up on me.
If Xbox did come out with a blu-ray add on, I doubt I'd go for it. I'd just purchase a PS3 and be done with it. :D

FistFuck, I'm with you on the game prices. I won't pay anything over $30 for a game, $20 if it's used. With the Xbox 360, I've found quite a few games that fall into that range. I picked up Dead Rising for $30 new the other day, and that game alone is worth getting a Xbox 360!

Yeah, man. Some of the prices people pay for some OOP Atlus games are insane. DefJeffffff and I often talk about it. I bet the boneheads who just paid $80 for a copy of Persona 3 feel like morons now that they're rereleasing the game at $30.

Noto
03-05-2008, 02:57 AM
Yeah, man. Some of the prices people pay for some OOP Atlus games are insane. DefJeffffff and I often talk about it. I bet the boneheads who just paid $80 for a copy of Persona 3 feel like morons now that they're rereleasing the game at $30.

True, but if anyone makes games worth dropping $80 on, it's Atlus.

rxfiend
03-05-2008, 03:11 AM
My 360 system never had a single issue.

You must be a very very lucky person. I've talked to more people who had the RROD than who didn't.

Noto
03-05-2008, 03:19 AM
You must be a very very lucky person. I've talked to more people who had the RROD than who didn't.

People with problems are also more vocal than people who don't. I know quite a few people who never had red rings and got their system at launch. Plus, many of the people who did get the rings did so from tipping the system with the game in it. Of course, they admit this to me but not Microsoft; not that I would blame them.

The 360 is a flawed product, but it also seems that the occurrences have dwindled quite a bit.

othervoice1
03-05-2008, 03:59 AM
I question just what the hell people are thinking when buying an add-on to a system that is about as reliable as a used rubber in a pit of needles.

Just for the record the 360 issues are all about gone now- early on they rushed it out to beat the ps3 by a year (which was smart and worked business wise) - I know I had to trade two in at best buy- My last premium unit and now my elite have never had an issue- but that first year or two they did have several issues- they made some attempt to do the right thing by extending the warranty for everyone to 3 years and the new units for that last year to year and a half are about on par with the ps3s coming out- I own both a ps3 and 360 elite currently and they both are great machines- xbox has a lot of little features that mean a lot to me that the ps3 doesnt have and more games- the ps3 was built right from the get go and is slowly getting better and I love the blu ray built in it (and i loove tekken which is big too) - for gaming the xbox 360 is still miles ahead- for movies the ps3 is better obviously, although even after hd-dvd died the hi-def xbox live rental/downloads is pretty darn good- I love my ps3 but I am still irritated it doesnt upscale a loooot of games to 1080i since I have a very nice (but about 5 years old) hd set that does 1080i and not 720p- xbox live blows the playstation online away but to get everything you do have to pay like 42.00 for 13 months while the ps3 online is free (hopefully the new "home" online thing by sony will be worth the wait) - I have never bought a gaming console without a warranty from the store though- especially when they first come out

Livingdead102
03-05-2008, 05:08 AM
Yeah my concern is the games. $60 for new games is just too much for a cheap bastard like me who buys everything secondhand on Amazon and Ebay. However, I just can't wait to sit down with Bioshock, Mass Effect, Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon, Fallout 3, Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway, and Lost Odessey.

There are a lot of great games that are very inexpensive. I'm playing Ghost Recon (the first one) right now and loving it, and it was $10 at Gamestop. If you check reviews for games that came out last year, you can find top tier games that might only cost $10 or $20 now. I also got Bioshock and Darkness brand new from Gamestop for $60 total on one of their weekly specials. Also, keep an eye on Best Buy, because every once in a while they'll have a great deal on newer games--I picked up Call of Duty 4 for $44 about a month back. The 360 has so many awesome titles that with a little luck you can find plenty of great games for a fraction of the cost of a new game.

Also, count me as one of those who have never had any problems with my 360. I had one friend (out of several 360 owners I know) who had to send his unit in for repairs, but he had his unit repaired and returned within two weeks of it's premature demise at no expense to him. Sure it sucks to have to go without your console for a few weeks, but at least the problem was taken care of quickly and with minimal hassle.

Reverenddave
03-05-2008, 07:36 AM
I just got a 360 last month. So you'll have to take my input with a grain of salt.

First, if you're going to buy an Xbox 360, I'd strongly recommend you get one with a hard drive. Downloading game demos and videos is a huge part of the gaming experience these days. And you can't do that with a memory card. Also, some games require a hard drive for online play.

I've noticed as an owner of both systems that the 360 really isn't any cheaper than the PS3. Sure, the console itself costs less. But the add-on costs keep adding up. To play online you pay a $45 annual subscription (PS3 is free). You need a 360 hard drive and that's an extra $80-$180 (with PS3 you can use any laptop HD). You want a wireless 360 headset and that's $50 (PS3 uses almost any bluetooth headset). Add a rechargeable battery for the wireless controller and that's $15-$25 (PS3 controllers have a built-in battery). The 360's wireless adapter is $100 (PS3 has wireless built into the console). And with all the 360 problems, you might want to think about an extended warranty, which adds another $50. It's one thing after another, and you have to buy overpriced, glitchy Microsoft products.

One thing the 360 has going for it over the PS3 is the number of great games. And many of them are available for under $20-$30. Especially if you're willing to buy games used. For $20 or less I've gotten Crackdown, Dead Rising, F.E.A.R., Call Of Duty 2 & 3, The Darkness, Splinter Cell: Double Agent, Lost Planet and a few others. For under $35 I've gotten The Simpsons, Orange Box, Bioshock, Gears Of War, Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga, Mass Effect and Call Of Duty 4.

RROD continues to be a problem, even with the new Falcon chipset (http://www.megatonnews.com/2007/10/03/new-65nm-falcon-xbox-360s-still-getting-the-rrod/). Microsoft had a console RROD while on display (http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/19/microsoft-gets-rrod-at-gdc/) at the GDC two weeks ago. CheapAssGamer recently conducted a poll, and with over 3,200 votes so far, 60% of them (http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173967) had at least one 360 console break. So I wouldn't pass that off as a vocal minority. And while RROD receives most of the attention, another common problem for the 360 is scratched discs (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/16/scratch-that-the-xbox-360-might-damage-discs-after-all/). Despite all of the 360's numerous problems (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_technical_problems), it's still extremely popular. That says a lot about how good the system is for gamers, which are a notoriously bitchy bunch.

Back to the original topic. It wouldn't surprise me to see a Blu-Ray add-on for the 360. Unless they're going to develop a new method of game media, Microsoft is going to need Blu-Ray for their next console. I've seen dates of 2010-2012 for the next Xbox (http://www.tech.co.uk/home-entertainment/gaming/games-consoles/features/after-xbox-360-microsofts-next-console). Allegedly, some developers are already planning games (http://www.joystiq.com/2008/01/05/rumor-microsoft-working-on-first-party-sequel-for-next-xbox-con/) for the new system. They're going to need Blu-Ray sooner or later, so they might as well jump on the bandwagon.

KamuiX
03-05-2008, 07:44 AM

I've had my 360 since September '06, and I've never had a problem either. Granted, I don't play it as much as a lot of people do, as I have all 3 systems, and need to spare time for watching movies (juggling all this stuff is so hard! :lol:), but it's never experienced any hiccups in performance.

Livingdead102
03-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Reverenddave, that poll you mentioned really wasn't conducted by CheapAssGamer--it was posted by a forum member with the participants being self-selected, just like any poll a reader would put up around here. Sure it's interesting, but it's not really statistically valid and only confirms that people who have gotten screwed by a defective XBox are more likely to vocalize their experiences than people who haven't. You're right about the excessive amount of proprietary peripherals, though. That $100 wireless adapter is ridiculous (though I have to say it works very well...)

I'm not so sure about Blu-Ray on the 360. Doing the smart, efficient thing isn't really Microsoft's deal. I would expect them to come up with some sneaky, underhanded scheme to continue to foil its competition just for spite. Hell, would we really be that surprised if Microsoft continued using HD-DVD for content delivery? I don't think it's likely, but that's the sort of arrogance we've come to expect from them I think.

geeare
03-05-2008, 03:17 PM
I read over at xbox360 forums that rumors are starting to circulate that microsoft might make a blu ray add on down the road anyone else think so?

i don't think it will be up to microsoft weather they make it blu-ray compatible or not.

Reverenddave
03-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Reverenddave, that poll you mentioned really wasn't conducted by CheapAssGamer--it was posted by a forum member with the participants being self-selected, just like any poll a reader would put up around here. Sure it's interesting, but it's not really statistically valid and only confirms that people who have gotten screwed by a defective XBox are more likely to vocalize their experiences than people who haven't.

You're right that CheapyD himself didn't post the poll, but he did highlight it on the front page of CAG (http://www.cheapassgamer.com/archives/cag-xbox-360-reliability-poll.php) and ask people to vote. I think it provides valid insight into the CheapAssGamer community. You're talking about a group of hardcore gamers. And almost 2,000 out of 3,300 participants have owned a 360 console that's broken at least once. If the numbers were around 15%-20%, I'd agree that it's a vocal minority. But you just can't ignore those numbers.

And based on my personal experience, those numbers are fairly accurate. Of all the people I know that own a 360, more than half of them have had it break at least once.

Of course, that didn't stop me from buying one. And I'm very happy with it. I made sure to find one with the new Falcon chipset. I purchased the extended warranty. And I got the console sitting on top of an Antec Notebook Cooler to try and prevent overheating. But I'm mentally prepared for the eventual RROD.

JW77
03-05-2008, 06:44 PM
They can't really add on a BRD drive at this point, can they?

At least as a requirement for gaming. (A movie player like the HDDVD drive would be okay.) Considering there are a shitload of 360s out there, it would be pretty shitty to make them all obsolete.

Though probably not as shitty as the built-in self destruct that's in all of them now.

KR~!
03-07-2008, 12:36 PM
it's no longer a rumor...

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/03/rumor-roundup-p.html

but will it happen?

othervoice1
03-08-2008, 04:13 AM
Well this can work a couple of ways- Sony makes money off the blu-ray add-on for the 360 - but the 360 which is already way ahead of the PS3 in North America then takes away the only real benefit the PS3 has over it- blu-ray capability. This helps keep the current 360 owners happy and feel no need to get a PS3 and may bring some on the fence consumers, who may like the 360 more from a gaming aspect but liked the ps3 because of the movie aspect, to feel more comfortable with the 360 by having the blu-ray option. This may be very smart for Microsoft. They can still keep their gaming console priced lower and have the add on for those that want it. I am not saying EVERYONE will skip a PS3 if Microsoft comes out with the add-on- I am just saying I can see the logic in it.

othervoice1
03-08-2008, 04:35 AM
A great quote I will steal from someone on one of the forums:
No funnier than MS getting paid for every Sony computer sold with Windows or Sony pictures offering downloadable movies on XBL.

Good business is built on sound partnerships.

Its all about money for both money making giants and they both stand to make cash either way

Fistfuck
03-08-2008, 05:06 AM
A great quote I will steal from someone on one of the forums:

Its all about money for both money making giants and they both stand to make cash either way

Well, another way of looking at it is company's never make money on the systems themselves, but in the software. Maybe the logic Microsoft and Sony is using is this will increase the sales of both Blu-Ray discs and 360 games, since Sony knows PS3 is floundering in the NA market.

KR~!
03-08-2008, 02:43 PM
The least expensive computer Blu-Ray drive that Sony makes cost $199 and the cheapest one you can buy, a lite-on, cost $149-139.

This would be a great move for Microsoft since it would allow people to get a Blu-Ray player for their TV's for less than $200, as long as they had a Xbox 360 and great for Sony since they can sell more Blu-ray discs.

Everyone wins.

Reverenddave
03-10-2008, 04:51 PM
In case anyone's interested, here's the final result of the CAG Community Xbox 360 Failure Survey that was mentioned in an earlier post.

3500+ Responses
59% have experienced at least one Xbox 360 failure.
24% had more than one Xbox 360 fail or one 360 fail more than once.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175137

ccmanson76
03-10-2008, 07:51 PM
I Went Through 4 xbox360

Reverenddave
03-13-2008, 04:20 PM
According to the latest statement from Microsoft, there will be no Blu-Ray for the 360.

Microsoft says no Blu-ray for Xbox 360
Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:51pm EDT
By Scott Hillis

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp is not in talks to include Sony Corp's Blu-ray high-definition DVD technology in its Xbox 360 video game console, an executive said on Wednesday.

The comments by Aaron Greenberg, group product manager for Xbox 360, poured cold water on recent speculation that Microsoft could support Blu-ray after Toshiba Corp, backer of the rival HD DVD format, gave up when key movie studios and retailers abandoned the technology.

"Xbox is not currently in talks with Sony or the Blu-ray Association to integrate Blu-ray into the Xbox experience," Greenberg told Reuters in an interview.

Microsoft, which has stopped making an HD-DVD add-on for the Xbox 360, would continue to invest in its Xbox Live online service that already lets users rent hundreds of movies, including ones in high-definition.

"We're the only console offering digital distribution of entertainment content," Greenberg said.

The software giant also expected that supply problems for the Xbox 360 meant the machine was outsold in the U.S. market by Sony's PlayStation 3 console in February for the second month in a row.

"We definitely expect we will trail in February as a result of our supply constraints," Greenberg said, adding: "By April, we will be in a very healthy inventory situation."

That would be in time for the April 29 launch of Take-Two Interactive Software Inc's "Grand Theft Auto 4" game, which is widely expected to be one of the best-selling titles of 2008 and could drive purchases of the Xbox 360 and PS3.

Greenberg spoke a day ahead of the planned release of U.S. video game sales data for February by market research firm NPD, whose monthly reports are pored over by game companies eager for bragging rights.

The PS3 struggled last year due to its high price and lack of must-have games, but sales have picked up in recent months thanks to price cuts in late 2008 and a slate of anticipated upcoming games.

"We still think we have a great value, that we have significantly better value than Sony. Every month we've actually been in stock we've outsold them by a 2 to 1 margin," Greenberg said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/reutersEdge/idUSN1224707720080313?pageNumber=1&sp=true