PDA

View Full Version : All Blu all the time?

KR~!
02-26-2008, 02:16 AM
Here is a question for those who have Blu-Ray players now, when will you stop buying DVDs and go all Blu? Once you see a Blu-Ray film it is pretty hard to go back to normal low res DVDs.

Demon
02-26-2008, 02:49 AM
I'll buy only my favorite films, and the ones that would benefit most from BluRay. Also maybe some of the newer horror titles that would benefit like 30 Days of Night!

othervoice1
02-26-2008, 05:03 AM
For the last year I have bought hi-def over standard dvds in about a 5 to 1 ratio. I jumped off the HD-DVD bandwagon (and sold it all for close to full price before the format took its big hits) and am strictly Blu-Ray now.

Noto
02-26-2008, 05:09 AM
Here is a question for those who have Blu-Ray players now, when will you stop buying DVDs and go all Blu? Once you see a Blu-Ray film it is pretty hard to go back to normal low res DVDs.

I bought 100 laserdiscs last week.

I'm not above buying any format for a great deal on movies, but I'm not buying any "major" new releases on anything but Blu-ray. If I get a screener, fine. No way in hell am I buying something that I'll just upgrade a year away from now.

Rockmjd
02-26-2008, 06:07 AM
Only about 75 of the 1000 movies I own are on blu ray, so it's going to be quite a long time before I go exclusive to it.

KamuiX
02-26-2008, 06:44 AM
If a film is available on Blu-Ray, I'll definitely pick it up over the DVD version. But I only buy films on Blu-Ray that I don't already own, or ones that are a new edition of a film I already own and love enough to upgrade (like the recently re-released Kubricks and Deliverance). I'm not going to buy a Blu-Ray version of say, Oldboy, The Fly, or Robocop, because I already own it on DVD in a same or superior version.

dwatts
02-26-2008, 11:38 AM
It depends on the price difference, and the movie in question. For instance, I wanted Vacancy, which i knew was going to be a bit of mindless fun. The SD cost a third of what the BR cost..... no brainer, I went SD. When it comes to the likes of Tenebrae, given the choice, I'd go BR.

So it's a title by title choice. Frankly, there are very few of my "must have in BR" titles out at the moment.

But really, it's down to price. BR discs are getting reasonable in the US, but in the UK they're horrendously priced.

Grim
02-26-2008, 01:38 PM
I get the blu-ray always if possible. If it's a new release and a blu-ray isn't released, I hold off because I know one will be down the road.

geeare
02-26-2008, 04:51 PM
Everything i buy from now on will be Blu. I made the mistake 2 weeks ago of buying a film that I thought would never be released on Blu only to find out a week later that it is getting a Blu release next month, D'OH. The movie was Black Sheep (the Horror/comedy, not the one with Farley in it). As for films i already own on SD-DVD I will only be double dipping on my absolute favourite titles.

eric_angelus
02-26-2008, 05:22 PM
Everything i buy from now on will be Blu. I made the mistake 2 weeks ago of buying a film that I thought would never be released on Blu only to find out a week later that it is getting a Blu release next month, D'OH. The movie was Black Sheep (the Horror/comedy, not the one with Farley in it). As for films i already own on SD-DVD I will only be double dipping on my absolute favourite titles.

Black Sheep is coming out on Blu? Where did you find that out? I have almost bought this a few times recently myself.

I am generally just buying blu only now...with the exception of Television box sets (I just bought some of The Office seasons as well as Seinfeld Season 9), for which standard DVD is just fine IMO.

Also, I am just trying to limit my purchasing in general to movie I really love, thus they merit the possiblity of spending a bit more than the price of a standard DVD.

geeare
02-26-2008, 06:05 PM
Black Sheep is coming out on Blu? Where did you find that out? I have almost bought this a few times recently myself.

it's a UK release but that tells me it's only a matter of time before we will get it.

BLACK SHEEP UK (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Sheep-Blu-ray-Tammy-Davis/dp/B0013OXT7S)

to be honest, the movie is worth double-dipping so if you NEED to see it, and might i suggest "you DO", then by all means go get it on SD-DVD.

Shannafey
02-26-2008, 06:19 PM
Some shows/movies just won't benefit from a Blu Ray release. When I eventually go Blu, I will probably still buy cheap DVDs. I think I'll just buy certain movies in Blu, such as epics or big scifi films. It really will have to do with the cost above all. I pay $5 for most DVDs. I am not going to pay $15-20 for Blu unless it is a new release that I really want. As for re-buying stuff, it would have to be a movie I LOVE and it would have to be a significant upgrade in picture quality. Some films don't show any improvement. I watched Heavy Metal on Universal HD and my DVD looks as good if not better!

eric_angelus
02-26-2008, 06:44 PM
it's a UK release but that tells me it's only a matter of time before we will get it.

BLACK SHEEP UK (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Sheep-Blu-ray-Tammy-Davis/dp/B0013OXT7S)

to be honest, the movie is worth double-dipping so if you NEED to see it, and might i suggest "you DO", then by all means go get it on SD-DVD.

Thanks for the info. I love the movie. Right now I just have DVD-R from when it aired on Pay Per View about six months ago. I will hold onto that a bit longer now.

geeare
02-26-2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the info. I love the movie. Right now I just have DVD-R from when it aired on Pay Per View about six months ago. I will hold onto that a bit longer now.

ahhhhh, i didn't realize you'd already seen it. yes, i would wait then. The copy I bought cost me 26.99 plus tax (good ol cananda) so I was quite upset to find it was getting the BD treatment after spending that kinda cash on an SD-DVD.