PDA

View Full Version : Good news...

rp108
02-26-2008, 05:49 AM
Halloween and Dawn Of The Dead on Blu-ray are amazing! I directly compared disc 1 of the Ultimate Edition and there is a big difference! The Blu-ray version was more vibrant, clear (much less noise and artifacts) and was like watching a new movie again. Halloween was incredible as well, it looked like it was shot yesterday. Compared to the twenty fifth anniversary edition there is a difference.

I still havent watched Day Of The Dead yet so I will post an update for those interested. I can tell you however, that Evil Dead 2 is NOT worth the upgrade. I have compared that directly to the Book edition and I really think the Book edition is better in a lot of aspects.

Also, Masters Of Horror look amazing! I bought all four volumes and really enjoyed them.

So, it looks like Starz/Anchor Bay is off to a good start on the new format.

rxfiend
02-26-2008, 08:20 AM
By the time I get a HD tv, then a blu-ray player, they'll already be a second release of these films on Blu-ray! ;)

fceurich39
02-26-2008, 10:14 PM
i wonder what the next batch of anchor bay blu ray titles will be hint probably will be some of these
evil dead
hellraiser
hellbound hellraiser II
night of the living dead
re animator
phantasm
hills have eyes

Shannafey
02-26-2008, 10:31 PM
I wonder how many Evil Dead releases we'll get on Blu Ray????

X-human
02-27-2008, 12:10 AM
It'd be interesting to get a release of Night of the Living Dead as the only people with an HD master at the moment would probably be 20th Century Fox. If Anchor Bay were to do a release it would undoubtably have to be a brand new transfer.

So would AB get back together with John Russo to try and remaster the 30th Anniversary Edition? Would they license the Elite version? Or build something entirely new for the 40th Anniversary?

I wouldn't be surprised with BCI beat them to it either.

KR~!
02-27-2008, 12:22 AM
I wonder how many Evil Dead releases we'll get on Blu Ray????

a dozen or so...

Demon
02-27-2008, 12:32 AM
I have it on good authority that Re-Animator and Phantasm are 2 of the next batch of releases!

Grim
02-27-2008, 12:43 PM
As much as an advocate of high definition as I am, I wonder how good The Evil Dead can look in HD. Unlike Evil Dead 2, it was filmed with 16mm, which, correct me if I'm wrong, is not as detailed as 35mm. Who am I kidding, I'd probably still buy it just to support HD.

fceurich39
02-27-2008, 06:19 PM
It'd be interesting to get a release of Night of the Living Dead as the only people with an HD master at the moment would probably be 20th Century Fox. If Anchor Bay were to do a release it would undoubtably have to be a brand new transfer.

So would AB get back together with John Russo to try and remaster the 30th Anniversary Edition? Would they license the Elite version? Or build something entirely new for the 40th Anniversary?

I wouldn't be surprised with BCI beat them to it either.

anchor bay i think since pretty much any studio has the rights to release night of the living dead would release the original version i really doubt we will and hopefully never see the 30th anniversary edition again

Reverenddave
02-28-2008, 01:23 AM
I was very happy with Anchor Bay's first wave of HD releases. But I'm really disappointed they haven't released (or even announced) any additional titles yet. Will we get the Masters Of Horror second season? Will we need to wait until Halloween for another handful of HD discs? And why aren't their new releases getting the HD treatment? Come on Anchor Bay. What are you waiting for?

I have a feeling their next HD titles will probably be picked from the Divimax line, which means some of these titles:

Children Of The Corn
Creepshow 2
Halloween 4
Halloween 5
Beastmaster
Time Bandits

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Hellraiser, Re-Animator or Phantasm.

eric_angelus
02-28-2008, 01:32 AM
I was very happy with Anchor Bay's first wave of HD releases. But I'm really disappointed they haven't released (or even announced) any additional titles yet. Will we get the Masters Of Horror second season? Will we need to wait until Halloween for another handful of HD discs? And why aren't their new releases getting the HD treatment? Come on Anchor Bay. What are you waiting for?

I have a feeling their next HD titles will probably be picked from the Divimax line, which means some of these titles:

Children Of The Corn
Creepshow 2
Halloween 4
Halloween 5
Beastmaster
Time Bandits

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Hellraiser, Re-Animator or Phantasm.

Yeah I agree...those will probably be the next things they do...Highlander also would not suprise me (if they still hold the rights?). I am really shocked they did not do a BD for their much hyped Hatchet release. I would also love to see Behind the Mask and Abominable come out!

Reverenddave
02-28-2008, 02:26 AM
To AB's credit, they did release To Kill A King (Blu-Ray) day-and-date with the SD release. But I'm amazed there was no HD release for Hatchet. And I don't see any other new Anchor Bay movies getting a simultaneous HD release. Where's the blu-ray for Wrestlemaniac and Painkiller Jane?

X-human
02-28-2008, 04:05 AM
anchor bay i think since pretty much any studio has the rights to release night of the living dead would release the original version i really doubt we will and hopefully never see the 30th anniversary edition again

Well if they want some participation from John Russo on some level I wonder. They may be kinda stuck with it contractually and that would explain why they've tripple dipped on Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead but not Night of the Living Dead. Considering it's in the public domain they could put out a new edition every Tuesday if they wanted to and it wouldn't cost them a thing beyond production costs. What's stopping them?

It's possible John Russo worked it out with them that future editions for a certain period of time had to include their new footage. This makes sense because it means residuals for Russo. It's not uncommon for a company to take on expense like shooting and producing new footage if they can lock in a distributor who will agree to sell either a certain number of copies or for a certain period of time. Russo's production company probably did that, as a way to earn money from a public domain film they originally made.

othervoice1
02-28-2008, 04:26 AM
The movie I really really want to see come out on blu ray is Suspiria- I pray they do and do a decent job with it- Ill double dip to get that

Grim
02-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Yeah, I really see some Argento on the platter for the next batch of blu-rays. It's a no brainer.

broadwayrock
02-28-2008, 04:12 PM
The Weinsteins have bought the rights for the recently restored version of Suspiria and The Mother of Tears, so you'll have to depend on them for a HD release.

Fistfuck
02-28-2008, 04:47 PM
As much as an advocate of high definition as I am, I wonder how good The Evil Dead can look in HD. Unlike Evil Dead 2, it was filmed with 16mm, which, correct me if I'm wrong, is not as detailed as 35mm. Who am I kidding, I'd probably still buy it just to support HD.

Actually, Grimmyboy, ED2 was shot on Super 16mm. ED1, however, I'm not sure if it was shot on 16mm or Super 16mm. The aspect ratio issue leads me to believe it was regular 16mm.

And yes, you are correct that 16mm is not as detailed as 35mm, though some of the newer Kodak Vision2 and Fuji Eterna low-grain stocks get fairly damn close. The line kind of gets blurred when you have so many films shot on 35 and S35 adding grit and grain, and phony digital grit and grain as Mr. Rodriguez is wont to. Take a look at Hustle and Flow, which was shot on S16. I think it looks pretty damn good.

Grim
02-28-2008, 08:57 PM
Actually, Grimmyboy, ED2 was shot on Super 16mm. ED1, however, I'm not sure if it was shot on 16mm or Super 16mm. The aspect ratio issue leads me to believe it was regular 16mm.

And yes, you are correct that 16mm is not as detailed as 35mm, though some of the newer Kodak Vision2 and Fuji Eterna low-grain stocks get fairly damn close. The line kind of gets blurred when you have so many films shot on 35 and S35 adding grit and grain, and phony digital grit and grain as Mr. Rodriguez is wont to. Take a look at Hustle and Flow, which was shot on S16. I think it looks pretty damn good.

Thanks for clarifying. I didn't know that about Hustle & Flow. Upon further research it turns out a bunch of major films were shot in 16mm that I didn't know about. Guess it depends on the quality of the film stock and the budget.

X-human
02-28-2008, 09:10 PM
The Weinsteins have bought the rights for the recently restored version of Suspiria and The Mother of Tears, so you'll have to depend on them for a HD release.

That would be my thought.

Fistfuck
02-29-2008, 03:20 AM
Thanks for clarifying. I didn't know that about Hustle & Flow. Upon further research it turns out a bunch of major films were shot in 16mm that I didn't know about. Guess it depends on the quality of the film stock and the budget.

Not to mention a stylistic choice. I believe it makes Rodriguez look like a fools when he spends how much time and money digitally dirtying up his images, when he can get the same effect by shooting a smaller stock.