View Full Version : Blue Underground going Blu-Ray

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Crystal Plumage
03-01-2008, 09:21 PM
http://www.blue-underground.com/blu-ray.php

The Chaostar
03-01-2008, 09:57 PM
That sounds very interesting.
They have titles that are already mastered in Hi Definition, like ZOMBIE or LET SLEEPING CORPSES LIE.
Almost mouth-watering.

wago70
03-01-2008, 10:11 PM
I'm so there. I love most of their films. I may re-purchase certain titles I have, but for the newest ones...it's Bluray, thanks.

Crystal Plumage
03-01-2008, 10:25 PM
I don't have a BR player and am not planning to buy one in the near future.
But if companies like BU release their entire catalog in BR I'm game.
For the moment I'm happy with my SD DVDs.I hope these companies won't stop releasing SD DVDs any time soon though.

The Chaostar
03-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Damn, whenever I think about buying a Blu-Ray player, I stumble across these lines from Wikipedia:

BD+ was developed by Cryptography Research Inc. and is based on their concept of Self-Protecting Digital Content.[47] BD+ is effectively a small virtual machine embedded in authorized players. It allows content providers to include executable programs on Blu-ray Discs. Such programs can:[44]

* examine the host environment, to see if the player has been tampered with. Every licensed playback device manufacturer must provide the BD+ licensing authority with memory footprints that identify their devices.
* verify that the player's keys have not been changed.
* execute native code, possibly to patch an otherwise insecure system.
* transform the audio and video output. Parts of the content will not be viewable without letting the BD+-program unscramble it.

If a playback device manufacturer finds that its devices have been hacked, it can potentially release BD+-code that detects and circumvents the vulnerability.

I don't like this shit.

Dave
03-01-2008, 10:48 PM
I hope these companies won't stop releasing SD DVDs any time soon though.

They won't if they want to stay in business.

I love high def as much as the next guy, but it's a niche market at best right now.

Crystal Plumage
03-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Damn, whenever I think about buying a Blu-Ray player, I stumble across these lines from Wikipedia:

BD+ was developed by Cryptography Research Inc. and is based on their concept of Self-Protecting Digital Content.[47] BD+ is effectively a small virtual machine embedded in authorized players. It allows content providers to include executable programs on Blu-ray Discs. Such programs can:[44]

* examine the host environment, to see if the player has been tampered with. Every licensed playback device manufacturer must provide the BD+ licensing authority with memory footprints that identify their devices.
* transform the audio and video output. Parts of the content will not be viewable without letting the BD+-program unscramble it.

If a playback device manufacturer finds that its devices have been hacked, it can potentially release BD+-code that detects and circumvents the vulnerability.

I don't like this shit.
So BR isn't region free?(sorry I'm a noob with BR)
If that's the case,fuck 'em....I live in R2 and no way companies here will release the stuff BU (and others!) releases....It's the main reason I bought a R Free player in the first place.

othervoice1
03-01-2008, 11:08 PM
One reason I was originally an HD-DVD backer is it was region free and didnt have all the restrictions- but I saw the writing on the wall and switched to blu-ray before HD-DVD totally went down in flames

dwatts
03-01-2008, 11:43 PM
You didn't know BR wasn't region free? Damn, how'd you manage to miss that?

A lot of titles ARE region free, by the way. You just have to check. And yes.... you're likely better off buying a player from the US.

wago70
03-01-2008, 11:50 PM
I don't get it: why are there Region codes for older films??????????? WHY?????

dwatts
03-02-2008, 12:38 AM
Ermmmmmmmmmmmmm.... because they have ezactly the same licenses associated with them as new films?

The whole thing is annoying beyond belief..... but....

Reverenddave
03-02-2008, 12:55 AM
Only about 1/3 of US Blu-Rays have region coding. It's usually reserved for new releases, but there are some catalog titles that are locked. It really depends on the studio. It looks like all Fox discs are locked, while Warner titles are region free.

http://www.blu-raystats.com/NewsLog/2008/02/23/region-code-status-update-for-blu-ray-statistics/

Anyone looking for info on a particular Blu-Ray can check here:

http://bluray.liesinc.net/

KR~!
03-02-2008, 02:23 AM
Only about 1/3 of US Blu-Rays have region coding. It's usually reserved for new releases, but there are some catalog titles that are locked. It really depends on the studio. It looks like all Fox discs are locked, while Warner titles are region free.

http://www.blu-raystats.com/NewsLog/2008/02/23/region-code-status-update-for-blu-ray-statistics/

Anyone looking for info on a particular Blu-Ray can check here:

http://bluray.liesinc.net/

Great links, little known fact is that many Blu-Ray disc are 100% region Free, just not all of them.

As far as Blue Underground going Blu, this is really great news, now that the war is over all the really cool horror titles are going to start being release by the boatload in 1080p, oh yeah!

KamuiX
03-02-2008, 03:46 AM
Yeah, definitely VERY cool news here!! Any new releases in Blu-Ray I'll definitely pick up, and certain catalogue titles that are re-released (any Argento, Daughters of Darkness, Deathdream) I would most-likely double-dip on depending on the A/V reviews.

wago70
03-02-2008, 03:51 AM
Wishlist:
Daughters of Darkness/Blood Spattered Bride
Zombie
oh hell...I'll just wait, :)

eric_angelus
03-02-2008, 05:45 AM
I was thrilled to read this. I will hold on on picking up that new Manchester Morgue release now (in hopes...).

Ash28M
03-02-2008, 07:02 AM
If I had Suspiria on Blu-Ray i'm not sure if I would watch anything else.

Gore Lunatic
03-02-2008, 03:51 PM
This is great news indeed! I'm getting goosebumbs just thinking about watching Zombie in HD.

Grim
03-02-2008, 11:18 PM
Even though this kinda puts on hold all of the BU titles I planned on buying, I'm extremely excited about this news.

fceurich39
03-03-2008, 02:57 AM
blu ray wishlist for me is
zombie
the crazies

rp108
03-03-2008, 06:35 AM
City Of The Living Dead
Zombie
The New York Ripper
Maniac
Let Sleeping Corpses Lie
Suspiria

Remastered in 1080p!

Grim
08-01-2008, 06:01 PM
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Blue_Underground/Disc_Announcements/Blue_Underground_Sets_Date,_Specs_for_Stendhal_Syn drome_Blu-ray/1957

The Stendhal Syndrome will be released on November 18th.

rhett
08-01-2008, 06:49 PM
November?! Seems like a missed opportunity there. Give us some hi-def for Halloween!

Grim
08-01-2008, 07:00 PM
November?! Seems like a missed opportunity there. Give us some hi-def for Halloween!

Yes! I second that notion. Let's just hope the long wait will be worth it.

pdw
08-01-2008, 08:14 PM

I don't like this shit.

Well, that's put a damper on my enthusiasm for the format, too...

PDW, BTW, hi all.

rhett
08-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Welcome to the forums, buddy.

As for this technology - I'm sure there will be a way that this can be circumvented in time. Just look how quick it took everyone to break the code for data encryption on the discs. I'm still surprised though, that nobody has a fix for taking screenshots on your Blu-ray ROM drive without first copying the contents of the disc to your hard drive first.

X-human
08-01-2008, 10:36 PM
BD+ already has been cracked, last I heard it hadn't been patched yet. But since the end of the format war I've been out of the loop.

I'm leery of Blue Underground's entrance into HD, as I suspect they're going to crank the DNR.

pdw
08-02-2008, 07:26 PM
Rhett: Thanks for the welcome. Yeah, I'm sure there'll be someone who hacks this. Eh, it also doesn't help that I don't have a hi-def tv...

Crystal Plumage
08-03-2008, 07:58 PM
I'm still surprised though, that nobody has a fix for taking screenshots on your Blu-ray ROM drive without first copying the contents of the disc to your hard drive first.IIRC Whiggles (http://whiggles.landofwhimsy.com/archives/bluray/7.html)found a way...Not entirely sure how.

indiephantom
08-09-2008, 11:28 AM
I really hope NEW YORK RIPPER gets BD treatment at some point.

Jason25
08-09-2008, 01:42 PM
I really hope NEW YORK RIPPER gets BD treatment at some point.

Definitely, such an excellent film. I really hope this happens in the near future.

mmyersisgod
08-31-2008, 04:09 AM
I can not wait, greatest new ever. I was stuck on whether to get Blu-ray or not. Now I know what I am getting.;)

indiephantom
09-07-2008, 06:00 AM
Of the first 6 they announced, I'm getting:

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage
Vigilante
Maniac
Fire & Ice

No interest in The Final Countdown, and I'm happy with the 2-disc of Stendhal I already own from BU.

Crystal Plumage
11-22-2008, 09:20 PM
Here's a review for The Stendhal Syndrome BluRay:

http://whiggles.landofwhimsy.com/archives/2008/11/the_stendhal_syndrome_bluray_i.html

Matt89
11-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Can't wait for Dead & Buried.

~Matt

Crystal Plumage
11-22-2008, 09:39 PM
I wonder how they'll handle the grain on that one!

Matt89
11-22-2008, 09:44 PM
It'll be grainy as fuck, I'll tell you that much. Grain's not really a "flaw" or "defect" in the print, anyway. Grain is quite inherent in film stock. Some films just end up grainier than others.

~Matt

Crystal Plumage
01-12-2009, 11:01 PM
For Matt:

http://www.mondo-digital.com/deadburied.html

Considering this was widely known as one of the grainiest American DVDs out there, fans had ample reason to worry, but the end result is happily much better than expected. The second half of the main titles onfolding over beach shots still look very problematic due to the heavy film processing (as usual, the sky looks so noisy you feel like you need to adjust an antenna), but after that it's a huge improvement over the DVD. The edge enhancement isn't nearly as severe, and while there is a naturalistic film-like feel to the images, the highly increased detail results in a much more solid, satisfying presentation. The night scenes in particular are much more coherent and solid-looking for the most part, while the highly textured shots (such as Freddy's camera lens POV in the opening scene) are stable and free from the shimmering and jittering which plagued the standard def version. You can happily chalk this one up as a winner. In another nice touch, the film has also finally been given English subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired, along with optional Spanish and French subtitles.

davros
02-20-2009, 06:12 PM
Here's a review for The Stendhal Syndrome BluRay:

http://whiggles.landofwhimsy.com/archives/2008/11/the_stendhal_syndrome_bluray_i.html
the transfer looks godawful. I'm shocked to read how kindly this release gets treated in reviews. jezzz. so glad I rented it from netflix rather than having spent 20 bucks on it. and no, I didn't expect pristine high end state of the art image quality. the stendhal syndrome BD though makes me question if BU's quality control even bothered to take a look at their product before they released it.... unbeliebavle!

Rockmjd
07-04-2009, 01:35 AM
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3040
Living Dead at Manchester Morgue coming out from Blue Underground on October 27th!

This is a must-own.

blu
07-04-2009, 03:36 PM
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3040
Living Dead at Manchester Morgue coming out from Blue Underground on October 27th!

This is a must-own.

Agreed, must own. I remember once owning this movie in a tin under the alias Let Sleeping Corpses Lie. I haven't seen the movie since that DVD was released though, so seeing it again in HD will be a treat.

spawningblue
07-05-2009, 03:38 AM
Have to pick this one up since I never got Blue Undergrounds re-release. Is it the exact same cut as Let Sleeping Corpses Lie, or are there any extra scenes?

chrismac87
07-05-2009, 05:23 AM
The cut is identical but the picture quality is FAR superior to the AB version which I thought was perfect to begin with. But the work BU did shows and compliments the film very well.

I can't wait for the Blu Ray.

Odin
07-08-2009, 05:38 PM
I hope they plan on releasing most of their catalog on bluray!

Angelman
08-19-2009, 12:49 AM
I want ZOMBIE.

chrismac87
08-19-2009, 06:32 AM
A friend of mine emailed them about ZOMBIE, they apparently do not have the rights to put it out on Blu Ray.

I couldn't imagine who would but I'm hoping they get off their ass soon and put it out!

Although, the DVD version of it does look awesome upscaled to 1080p - but nothing compares to the real thing.

Grim
08-19-2009, 06:56 AM
A friend of mine emailed them about ZOMBIE, they apparently do not have the rights to put it out on Blu Ray.

I couldn't imagine who would but I'm hoping they get off their ass soon and put it out!

Although, the DVD version of it does look awesome upscaled to 1080p - but nothing compares to the real thing.

If anyone, I'd guess Media Blasters. I doubt it went back to Anchor Bay, but who knows?

Stige
08-19-2009, 11:21 AM
the trouble with ZOMBIE was the soundtrack , the old anchorbay version rocked the speakers all 5 , the two new version MB ond BU and even the euro version with DTS just sound like mono in my ears. Am hoping maybe a DTS_Master og DD-TRuHD would be more like the old anchorbay and again fill the living room with wind and screams :)

that said will probably buy LDatMM and MAniac

zombi3
08-21-2009, 03:58 PM

Damn, I was under the impression that the Zombie rights were to revert back to Blue Underground exclusively something like 2 years after the BU and SS DVDs came out.

Crystal Plumage
09-24-2009, 12:49 PM
http://www.mondo-digital.com/zombie.html

And now we arrive at the most surprising incarnation of The New York Ripper -- a Blu-Ray from Blue Underground newly transferred from the original negative. Simply put, it's a beauty; the huge leap in detail is astounding, and you can even make out the fine patterns in Mrs. Weissberger's hairnet. You'd never believe this film could look so good, and the eerie landscape shots (especially during the first ferry murder) now look like finely rendered landscapes out of a nightmare. Yes, it still looks like an early '80s Italian horror movie so anyone expecting something comparable to Wall-E isn't going to get it, but there's no way this could look any better. Interestingly and not surprisingly, as this is from the negative that pesky street shot of Malco is nowhere to be found, which doesn't affect the movie much at all. The original English audio can be played either in the original mono or a fun DTS-HD 7.1 mix which pumps De Masi's infectious music to the surround channels and really adds to the entertainment value. Optional subtitles are available in English, French or Spanish. Along with a new HD version of the trailer you get two exclusive extras, also hi-def; the first, "NYC Locations Then and Now," spends a nifty four minutes comparing location shots from the film in '81 with the current locales, including Times Square, the subway to Nassau Street, the Staten Island ferry, the Cavalier Hotel, and of course the now-destroyed World Trade Center, all set to De Masi's jazzy score. "I'm an Actress!" spends ten minutes chatting with Czech-born actress Zora Kerova (in Italian with English subtitles), who was hired from Prague for the film in the quick but memorable role as a sex show performer who gets the wrong end of a broken bottle. She calls her sex scene "the most difficult I've ever done" but has better memories of her murder scene; Kerova's other notable films from the period include Anthropophagus, Cannibal Ferox and The New Barbarians. Most interestingly the still-gorgeous actress talks about how the role got her in hot water with her native country, shares sometimes unpleasant memories of other directors like Bruno Mattei and Umberto Lenzi, and remembers a nice relationship with Fulci, whom she believes was more angry at the world than women in particular. A standard def DVD of the special edition is also available, but since it costs slightly more and can't compete with the glory of watching this nasty classic in full 1080p, it should be obvious which one to buy.

Grim
09-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Nice. Glad this will be my first time viewing this film.

Korngold
09-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Woot! I was worry BU was going to carry over the AB print with that wrongly placed shot. Good news all around on this. :D

Crystal Plumage
09-24-2009, 05:50 PM
Woot! I was worry BU was going to carry over the AB print with that wrongly placed shot. Good news all around on this. :D
Well, it was mentioned in the other thread:

Blue Underground's Blu-ray and Special Edition DVD of THE NEW YORK RIPPER were newly retransfered directly from the original camera negative. It does not contain the misplaced scene found near the end of the film, as this was never in the original negative. as per Blue Underground.

Korngold
09-24-2009, 08:33 PM
Well, it was mentioned in the other thread:

as per Blue Underground.

Yeah, funny how people miss things huh?;)

fceurich39
09-25-2009, 05:32 PM
here's info on toolbox murders blu-ray release
Blue Underground has announced that they will bring the cult horror film 'Toolbox Murders' (1978) to Blu-ray on January 25th, 2010. Video will be presented in 1.66:1 1080p resolution, and while audio specs have not been announced at this time, you can expect to see either a DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD soundtrack.

Special features include:

Audio Commentary with Producer Tony DiDio, Directory of Photography Gary Graver and Star Pamelyn Ferdin
I Got Nailed In THE TOOLBOX MURDERS – Interview with Star Marianne Walter
Theatrical Trailer
TV Spot
Radio Spots

i am still awaiting the announcement for the crazies blu-ray to coincide with the remake

indiephantom
09-25-2009, 08:13 PM
Can't wait to get NYR now, as if I wasn't excited enough already. Lots of cool stuff coming from BU.

MorallySound
09-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Can't wait to upgrade New York Ripper, Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue, and now Toolbox Murders to Blu-ray!

captain_brandon
09-25-2009, 11:47 PM
Can't wait to upgrade New York Ripper, Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue, and now Toolbox Murders to Blu-ray!

Same here :D

Matt89
09-26-2009, 12:20 AM
What was the misplaced scene? I only saw this once (and not gonna lie...not a huge fan). But what's different about the AB transfer and the transfer for the new BU blu-ray?

~Matt

Gore Lunatic
09-26-2009, 05:44 AM

I can't wait either! The New York Ripper Blu-Ray sounds oh so sweet. :banana:

Nailwraps
10-23-2009, 10:20 PM
The (original) Crazies has been announced for Blu-Ray!:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3592

Blue Underground has announced that they will bring George A. Romero's 'Crazies' to Blu-ray on February 23rd. For this release, Blue Underground went back to the original film negative for a brand new high definition master. Technical specs have not been announced at this time, though you can expect a 1080p AVC video presentation accompanied by a DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack.

Special features for this release include:

-Audio Commentary with Director George A. Romero
-The Cult Film Legacy of Lynn Lowry – Interview with Star Lynn Lowry
-Theatrical Trailers
-TV Spots

UPDATE: Forgot to mention that The Living Dead At Manchester Morgue Blu-Ray has been reviewed!:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Living-Dead-at-Manchester-Morgue-Blu-ray-Review/6165/

http://10kbullets.com/reviews/l/living-dead-at-manchester-morgue-the-bluray/

spawningblue
10-23-2009, 11:12 PM
Sucks that they keep leaving off the photo galleries on their releases. The Crazies had a huge one with over 200 pics I believe including all the original posters and marketing.

gunner
10-24-2009, 04:48 AM
Just finally sat down to my favorite Fulci film "New York Ripper" tonight and holy ole jesus, what a sight to behold! The film has much more impact in 1080p for sure (they all do imo). I loved the "then and now" feature too, I didn't think it would be as special as it is.
I'm no expert, but going by the incredible old dvd transfer that still impresses me, I think "The Toolbox Murders" has potential to be their strongest blu-ray transfer yet!!

The Chaostar
10-24-2009, 03:54 PM
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews47/the_living_dead_at_manchester_morgue_blu-ray.htm

That looks awesome!

fceurich39
10-25-2009, 01:13 AM
cool i'll get the crazies on blu-ray too bad there is no new special features

rhett
10-27-2009, 10:53 PM
Great to see THE TOOLBOX MURDERS finally coming to Blu-ray. That was part of their first wave of releases, so hopefully this means they'll soon come back to my other first wave favorites: THE PROWLER and SHOCK WAVES.

Kim Bruun
10-27-2009, 11:21 PM
Great to see THE TOOLBOX MURDERS finally coming to Blu-ray. That was part of their first wave of releases, so hopefully this means they'll soon come back to my other first wave favorites: THE PROWLER and SHOCK WAVES.

I'll second The Prowler and Shock Waves - those two are my favourites among all the movies BU has released, along with Dead & Buried, already released on blu (and which I already own).

Katatonia
10-28-2009, 02:05 AM

I see on theior website that they aren't porting over the Stills Gallery yet again however. :eek2: I really don't see why, as they did port the old gallery over on the recent The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue Blu.

spawningblue
10-28-2009, 05:11 PM
I see on theior website that they aren't porting over the Stills Gallery yet again however. :eek2: I really don't see why, as they did port the old gallery over on the recent The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue Blu.

Yeah I hate that and have kept several DVDs because of this. It's one thing if it's a couple boring production photos but I like having all the original posters and advertising materials. To me they are just as important as the original TV Spots/ Trailers. I like seeing how they tried to sell the movie back when it was released, it's interesting to me.

Angelman
10-28-2009, 07:47 PM

Shock Waves for sure. One of my favorites of all time. A blu purchase would be a no brainer...

rhett
10-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Guys...more good news straight from the horses mouth. More Fulci, some camps and a western. Awesome. Here's what's coming:

Jan. 26 – THE TOOLBOX MURDERS (BLU-RAY)
Feb. 23 – THE CRAZIES (BLU-RAY)
Mar. 30 – VAMPYRES (BLU-RAY)
Apr. 27 – CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD (Special Edition DVD & BLU-RAY)
May 25 – DJANGO (BLU-RAY)

Grim
10-28-2009, 11:26 PM
Nice! Haven't seen Django or Vampyres so that'll be a great first viewing for me.

Nailwraps
10-29-2009, 12:17 AM
Guys...more good news straight from the horses mouth. More Fulci, some camps and a western. Awesome. Here's what's coming:

OMG! That is gonna rock, especially the City Of The Living Dead SE DVD and Blu-Ray! Now if Blue Underground could manage to release SE DVD and Blu-Ray of both Suspiria and Bad Taste...

Grim
10-29-2009, 12:25 AM
OMG! That is gonna rock, especially the City Of The Living Dead SE DVD and Blu-Ray! Now if Blue Underground could manage to release SE DVD and Blu-Ray of both Suspiria and Bad Taste...

Weinsteins have Suspiria. I don't think Bad Taste carried over to BU. Anchor Bay might actually still have the rights. Although it is on archive.org so maybe it lapsed into the public domain or something.

justinmilkman87
10-29-2009, 12:33 AM
I thought the Weinstein's only had theatrical or remake rights to Suspiria, not the home video rights?

I would love for BU to release a Blu-ray of Suspiria, only reason I have held off on buying the 2 disc.

Angelman
11-10-2009, 09:30 AM

Bring on the blu Fulci, say I.

SaviniFan
11-10-2009, 02:32 PM
I'll definitely get City of the Living Dead on blu.

Stige
11-10-2009, 03:44 PM
city and crazies for sure

MorallySound
11-10-2009, 04:11 PM
All of the above for me.

Lone Wolf
11-10-2009, 05:06 PM
I'll be picking up City Of The Living Dead, The Crazies, and The Toolbox Murders.

blu
11-10-2009, 08:32 PM
I'll definitely get City of the Living Dead on blu.

Same here. I'll rent Toolbox Murders and The Crazies since I haven't seen either of those films before.

Severn
11-10-2009, 08:42 PM
City for sure. I have the old DVD of it and it really could use some cleaning up. That blu-ray will be mine!

Korngold
11-19-2009, 06:22 PM
I'm gonna go crazy for the crazies and welcome the city of the dead into my living room.

Barak
11-19-2009, 10:16 PM

Not quite sure why they would be releasing Blu-Ray editions of these movies and not doing the rest of the Argento back catalog. When do we get Tenebre or Deep Red on Blu-Ray? I like Fulci and all but they've done two of his films on Blu-Ray, so why not something by Lamberto Bava, Michele Soavi, or another deserving director.

Nailwraps
11-23-2009, 08:40 PM
Blue Underground is releasing Vampyres for Blu-Ray in 2010!:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3786

"Blue Underground has announced that they will bring the cult horror film 'Vampyres' to Blu-ray on March 30th. Often edited by censors around the world, the film, which is also known as 'Daughters of Dracula', will be presented uncensored utilizing a new 1.85:1 1080p video transfer accompanied by an upgraded 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack.

Special features for this release include:

-Audio Commentary with Director José Ramón Larraz and Producer Brian Smedley-Aston
-Return of the Vampyres – Interviews with Stars Marianne Morris and Anulka
-International Trailer
-U.S. Trailer"

russweiss
12-01-2009, 01:45 AM
Will get the Vampyres Blu-ray.

Mutilated Prey
12-01-2009, 01:57 AM
City of the Living Dead and Crazies Blus - oh boy!

Katatonia
12-01-2009, 02:21 AM
I just don't understand why they aren't including the old stills galleries. They actually did port them over on the recent Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue, so why aren't they doing it for the upcoming Blus also?

chrismac87
12-01-2009, 02:59 AM
I keep wishing for someone to get off their ass and put ZOMBIE on Blu Ray.

I mean it's not out anywhere yet and it's getting on my nerves! Someone out there has to have the rights to put it out in the glorious 1080p format.

...anyone!?

fceurich39
12-01-2009, 04:15 AM
will be getting the crazies for sure

yea chrismac87 Zombie needs a blu release and since it looks like it would of or should of been out on blu-ray by now i guess maybe blue underground doesn't own it and shriek show does cause if blue underground owned it i think it should of been released by now or announced

since shriek show probably owns it i highly doubt it will ever come out on blu

BlackAndBlu81
12-01-2009, 04:58 AM
Shriek show owns the rights to the title zombi 2. Blue underground own it under zombie.

fceurich39
12-01-2009, 05:10 AM
Shriek show owns the rights to the title zombi 2. Blue underground own it under zombie.

well if so i wonder what is taking the movie so long to come out on blu??? or if it is that the title rights is the hold up?

BlackAndBlu81
12-01-2009, 06:41 AM
Im sure thats part of it. I heard there was quite the scuffle over the BU/SS Zombie/Zombi 2 dvds. Between the two companies. Ill write to Bill Lustig and ask the man himself about a blu release.

chrismac87
12-01-2009, 07:26 AM
Blue Underground was already contacted about doing a ZOMBIE Blu, they don't own the rights to issue it on Blu Ray, just DVD.

I don't know if Shriek Show has it, but if they do, I would imagine they would put it out eventually. I mean both transfers were nearly identical and were mastered in High Definition so this really shouldn't be an issue.

What puzzles me is how NO one has done a Blu Ray, not even an overseas company, for such a highly regarded classic...seems really odd. Hell even something like NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD which is a classic by every meaning of the word and is public domain, yet no Blu Ray release. Makes no sense.

The Chaostar
12-01-2009, 12:29 PM
NOTLD is out in the UK on blu-ray and looks fine.

fceurich39
12-01-2009, 02:57 PM
there is a couple of blu-rays overseas for NOTLD but the 40th anniversary edition dvd that dimension released was supposed to be on blu-ray also in oct 2008 but never happened probably that was the beginning of the financial woes for weinsteins so it got yanked

spawningblue
12-01-2009, 05:09 PM
I just don't understand why they aren't including the old stills galleries. They actually did port them over on the recent Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue, so why aren't they doing it for the upcoming Blus also?

Agreed! Hate keeping my old DVD copy just for the stills but the old posters and advertising material is really cool. Frustrating when they do it sometimes and then don't bother other times.

chrismac87
12-01-2009, 05:19 PM
NOTLD is out in the UK on blu-ray and looks fine.

Yes I know that, but it's also region B locked and again it's a public domain film so at this point it makes no sense no one else has released it here. I mean with it being a public domain film anyone could release it and someone like Anchor Bay or Sony or whoever could make an HD master of a film print. Hell, anyone could take the UK disc and just make a direct copy of that as well.

Just don't understand how some of these films that are highly regarded amongst the horror community are just lying dormant on this now thriving format.

crikan
12-01-2009, 05:55 PM
I keep wishing for someone to get off their ass and put ZOMBIE on Blu Ray.

Zombie is at the top of my list as well.

I guess I shouldn't have bought The Toolbox Murders a few months back. I hate to double-dip so soon.

Darga
12-01-2009, 10:49 PM

I've already got all those on DVD (except for 'The Toolbox Murders') and they're not ones I end up watching very frequently so I doubt I'll upgrade. Hell, I already double-dipped once on 'Vampyres' when BU put out the truly uncut version.

fceurich39
12-21-2009, 05:27 PM
http://www.avmaniacs.com/review.php?id=1108 review for toolbox murders and one more review

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Toolbox-Murders-Blu-ray-Review/7298/

Katatonia
12-23-2009, 01:54 AM
Another review for Toolbox Murders on blu: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/40315/toolbox-murders-the/

Horrorphilly
12-26-2009, 02:51 PM
I've already got all those on DVD (except for 'The Toolbox Murders') and they're not ones I end up watching very frequently so I doubt I'll upgrade. Hell, I already double-dipped once on 'Vampyres' when BU put out the truly uncut version.

Im soo getting DJANGO and CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD.I hope they look as good as they do on dvd.

sean

chrismac87
12-26-2009, 05:58 PM
I'm sure CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD will look better. There was a release not to long ago from Italy that was fantastic and a complete overhaul of the U.S. print - I'd imagine that is Blue Underground's new master.

hellachris
12-29-2009, 10:26 AM
Django is my favorite western so I'll be buying that one the day it comes out. I'll also do the same for City, I just hope they throw some new features on there.

rhett
01-06-2010, 07:53 AM
Rumor has it that The Prowler will be Blu before the end of the year...

eric_angelus
01-06-2010, 07:56 AM

That would be quite cool!

Mutilated Prey
01-06-2010, 03:21 PM

Now we're cookin' with Wesson.

SaxCatz
01-10-2010, 11:13 PM

Somehow I've managed to go without seeing this one all these years.
Saw a bit about it in a slasher film documentary a few weeks ago and immediately moved it to *near* the top of my Netflix queue.
I hope that it doesn't disappoint.

Vlachio
01-17-2010, 12:22 PM

Well they better find a better transfer & remaster it. The DVD release is one of the worst transfers ever!

I'm sure CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD will look better. There was a release not to long ago from Italy that was fantastic and a complete overhaul of the U.S. print - I'd imagine that is Blue Underground's new master.

I really hope this movie gets a Blu-Ray release. I would be all over this movie like a fly on shit.

fceurich39
01-26-2010, 11:23 PM
here's a review for the Crazies blu-ray
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Crazies-Blu-ray-Review/7931/

dickieduvet
01-27-2010, 12:03 AM
Hopefully have The Toolbox Murders by the weekend, Not seen it since it arrived on dvd.

SaxCatz
01-27-2010, 03:58 AM
Any news on when we'll see Zombi 2 on Blu? I've held off this long on buying either the Blue Underground of Media Blasters release- I guess I can hold off long enough for the Blu if Blue Underground can port their excellent transfer (hopefully it was a true hi-def master.)

Mutilated Prey
01-27-2010, 04:11 AM
here's a review for the Crazies blu-ray
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Crazies-Blu-ray-Review/7931/

Looks great to me - I'll be getting this for sure!

Hellbilly
01-28-2010, 04:16 PM
Blue Underground has announced DVD ($19.95) and Blu-ray ($34.95) releases of City of the Living Dead for the 25th May. The only extra material on the DVD will be a Making of City of the Living Dead featurette, the English trailer, the Italian trailer, radio spots, and a still gallery. The Blu-ray release will include all that, along with additional featurettes ("Acting Among the Living Dead – Interview with Star Catriona MacColl", "Entering the Gates of Hell – Interview with Star Giovanni Lombardo Radice", "Memories of the Maestro"), and a poster and still gallery.

Source and cover art at dvdactive.com (http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/city-of-the-living-dead.html)

Grim
01-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Sweet use of an alternative cover! I can't wait.

And that's another DVD for me to sell!

Nailwraps
01-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Wow! Blue Underground really pulled the stops for the perfect City Of The Living Dead SE release! All those extras on the Blu are starting to temp me to buy a Blu-Ray player!

Grim
01-28-2010, 05:48 PM
They were kinda slow getting into the hi-def market, but now that they are, they've really been coming through with the goods for the most part. Once again, BU proves itself to be one of the best horror distributors out there.

ReelFear
01-28-2010, 05:58 PM
City Of The Living Dead on Blu Ray. !!!!!!! The best news I've heard all week!

Mutilated Prey
01-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Source and cover art at dvdactive.com (http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/city-of-the-living-dead.html)

Yup - I'll be getting that on Blu for sure, and I love the cover art :D

dave13
01-28-2010, 06:40 PM
yeah, that cover art sold me. fuck, just when i thought i had all the stuff i wanted by fulci....maybe i'll end up picking up the new york ripper blu too.

dickieduvet
01-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Great news, Blue Underground are really churning out their titles, Puts the big studios to shame.

Wez4555
01-28-2010, 07:29 PM
yes! finally! HD gut puking!

dvdfan
01-28-2010, 08:19 PM
The cover appears to be the same one used for the soundtrack

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/677/cityofthelivingdeadsx2.jpg

While I do like the cover. It looks a little bit like a bad photoshop job. Every tombstone has the exact name and dates on it. I wish they would have used one of these instead:

http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/angels/592/posters/cityld.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tngWMToWtCc/SM7hh82kneI/AAAAAAAAFqA/FNQ-CyeNS5s/s400/44dc_1.JPG

satans-sadists
01-28-2010, 08:29 PM
Probably wishful thinking, but I'd love a Blu-Ray release of Shock Waves!

Mutilated Prey
01-28-2010, 09:16 PM
maybe i'll end up picking up the new york ripper blu too.

Yes Guy - you need that.

The cover appears to be the same one used for the soundtrack

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/677/cityofthelivingdeadsx2.jpg

While I do like the cover. It looks a little bit like a bad photoshop job. Every tombstone has the exact name and dates on it.

They are just going for the effect of a single zombie coming out of the ground - not 4. Like a flipbook :)

The Chaostar
01-28-2010, 10:28 PM
Probably wishful thinking, but I'd love a Blu-Ray release of Shock Waves!

I honestly don't know how much of an upgrade that would be bearing in mind that the only print in existence is the one owned by the director: 16mm and not in good shape.

The Chaostar
01-28-2010, 10:29 PM
yes! finally! HD gut puking!

That's gotta be The quote of the month man. If I was selling blu-ray, I'd use it.

gunner
01-29-2010, 12:25 AM
I just watched "The Toolbox Murders" on blu-ray last night. Totally blown away, wow!! Seeing all those 70's textures was amazing, you could almost touch those shag rugs & linoleum floors!! Can't wait for CotLD, Maniac, The Crazies...the list goes on. Thanks Blue Underground!!!
Shout!, take notes, the fans need to see Slumber Party Massacre in high def!!!!!!!

Katatonia
01-29-2010, 02:15 AM
I just watched "The Toolbox Murders" on blu-ray last night. Totally blown away, wow!! Seeing all those 70's textures was amazing, you could almost touch those shag rugs & linoleum floors!!

Agreed, it looks absolutely superb. The level of detail is amazing, and puts the old DVD transfer to shame.

MorallySound
01-29-2010, 02:29 AM
I honestly don't know how much of an upgrade that would be bearing in mind that the only print in existence is the one owned by the director: 16mm and not in good shape.

That's not true. I know for a fact 35mm prints of Shock Waves exist. I'm a collector of 35mm film, and just in the past four months I've seen two prints come up in my collector's circle. And Rue Morgue also did a 35mm screening a couple months ago as well at the Cinemacabre movie nights.

And that City of the Living Dead artwork is awesome! Glad to see Blu-Underground has the "guts" to use original artwork on their releases.

Nasty Nate
01-29-2010, 03:03 AM
No way am I paying $34.95 for a blu. Good way to go broke real quick.

Grim
01-29-2010, 03:30 AM
No way am I paying $34.95 for a blu. Good way to go broke real quick.

That's just msrp. It'll surely be $15-20 on amazon.

Matt89
01-29-2010, 04:42 AM
That's not true. I know for a fact 35mm prints of Shock Waves exist. I'm a collector of 35mm film, and just in the past four months I've seen two prints come up in my collector's circle. And Rue Morgue also did a 35mm screening a couple months ago as well at the Cinemacabre movie nights.

And that City of the Living Dead artwork is awesome! Glad to see Blu-Underground has the "guts" to use original artwork on their releases.

It was probably a blowup of a 16mm print. Wasn't the movie lost for like 20 years until the only print they could find was the 16mm print the director had? Those 35mm prints are more than likely blowups of the 16mm.

~Matt

Matt89
01-29-2010, 04:54 AM
Well they better find a better transfer & remaster it. The DVD release is one of the worst transfers ever!

What? It was no Gone With the Wind in terms of a remaster, but what was so awful about it? It didn't look any worse than most DVD transfers of slashers from that era.

~Matt

foller
01-29-2010, 11:11 AM
The artwork looks amazing!!! So glad they finally use to original.

Nailwraps
01-29-2010, 05:44 PM
Django has been announced for Blu!:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4099

Blue Underground has announced two movies for release on Blu-ray on May 25: the horror cult movie 'City of the Living Dead', directed by Lucio Fulci, and the spaghetti western 'Django', directed by Sergio Corbucci. Both of them have received new video transfers from the original camera negative.

Django

Django: The One And Only: interviews with star Franco Nero and assistant director Ruggero Deodato
The Last Pistolero: short film starring Franco Nero (BD-exclusive)
Western, Italian Style: a 1968 documentary about the Spaghetti Western phenomenon containing interviews with directors Enzo G. Castellari, Sergio Sollima and Sergio Corbucci (BD-exclusive)
International trailer
Italian Trailer
Franco Nero intro (BD-exclusive)

indiephantom
01-29-2010, 10:31 PM
Django has been announced for Blu!:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4099

Blue Underground has announced two movies for release on Blu-ray on May 25: the horror cult movie 'City of the Living Dead', directed by Lucio Fulci, and the spaghetti western 'Django', directed by Sergio Corbucci. Both of them have received new video transfers from the original camera negative.

Django

Django: The One And Only: interviews with star Franco Nero and assistant director Ruggero Deodato
The Last Pistolero: short film starring Franco Nero (BD-exclusive)
Western, Italian Style: a 1968 documentary about the Spaghetti Western phenomenon containing interviews with directors Enzo G. Castellari, Sergio Sollima and Sergio Corbucci (BD-exclusive)
International trailer
Italian Trailer
Franco Nero intro (BD-exclusive)

Those BD exclusives are on the LE DVD release from several years ago. I love the mini-DVD that was included with The Last Pistolero. I still have yet to watch that one, though. :p

I did finally watch Django over the holiday with my Dad. Pretty fun spaghetti western and I dug the theme song.

Horrorphilly
01-31-2010, 05:05 AM
I take it that you have the DJANGO LE dvd with the Last Pistolero movie.My dvd doesnt have the Spag Docu nor does it have the Nero Intro.What release do you have?

seanThose BD exclusives are on the LE DVD release from several years ago. I love the mini-DVD that was included with The Last Pistolero. I still have yet to watch that one, though. :p

I did finally watch Django over the holiday with my Dad. Pretty fun spaghetti western and I dug the theme song.

Vlachio
01-31-2010, 06:33 AM
City Of The Living Dead & Django are must buys! Finlay I can't chuck my old DVD's. Hopefully the transfers will be superior.

Wez4555
01-31-2010, 06:06 PM
yeah city of the living dead was way too grainy! cant wait to see what the new print looks like. altho the grain did add to the charm! the beyond needs to be on blu to!

SaxCatz
02-01-2010, 03:36 AM
the beyond needs to be on blu to!

I second that! I'd love to be able to chuck my crappy Diamond Entertainment DVD.

Mutilated Prey
02-01-2010, 04:02 AM
I second that! I'd love to be able to chuck my crappy Diamond Entertainment DVD.

Diamond? You know you can get the Grindhouse release right? Even the old AB release can be gotten used for around $10 on Amazon.

SaxCatz
02-01-2010, 04:24 AM
Diamond? You know you can get the Grindhouse release right? Even the old AB release can be gotten used for around $10 on Amazon.

I would love the Grindhouse release, but it is selling for $22.50 new, and not much less used, on Amazon. I just can't justify spending that on a DVD of a film I already own in some form anymore now that my focus has turned to my Blu-Ray collection.
As far as the Anchor Bay release, I don't believe that it is presented in anamorphic and, as such, is probably not much of an improvement over the Diamond disc.

Mutilated Prey
02-01-2010, 04:32 AM
I would love the Grindhouse release, but it is selling for $22.50 new, and not much less used, on Amazon. I just can't justify spending that on a DVD of a film I already own in some form anymore now that my focus has turned to my Blu-Ray collection.
As far as the Anchor Bay release, I don't believe that it is presented in anamorphic and, as such, is probably not much of an improvement over the Diamond disc.

AB's is anamorphic, and I believe is the exact same print used for the Grindhouse release. But yeah, you know the Blu is coming eventually. I picked up the AB tin a while back.

Grim
02-01-2010, 05:12 AM

I bought the Diamond disc wayyyy back based on the title alone with the hopes that it would be the cut US version. It wasn't, to my disappointment, but I was surprised at how not shitty the print was, save for a really cheap "Seven Doors of Death" title freeze frame inserted.

Wez4555
02-03-2010, 01:26 AM
I still got the beyond tin. That will do me for now untill a blu ray gets released.

Grim
02-03-2010, 01:40 AM
Yeah I still have my tin. I remember buying it after Christmas 2001 and being so excited that it was only $14.99 at Best Buy.

dickieduvet
02-03-2010, 03:37 AM
Just watched The Toolbox Murders, Holy shat, Looks freakin amazing. The quality is a huge leap from the DVD. Highly recommended :)

fceurich39
02-09-2010, 03:32 PM
the Prowler is also coming to blu-ray go here
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4146

Matt89
02-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Saw that this morning. Sweet.

~Matt

Grim
02-09-2010, 03:35 PM
Awesome. Can't wait to see all that glorious gore in HD. And that's another one to send to my sell pile.

Matt89
02-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Haha me too. That and Saving Private Ryan.

~Matt

Mutilated Prey
02-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Nice to hear the news on The Prowler Blu - can't wait!

Katatonia
02-10-2010, 01:08 AM
OOooooh, The Prowler on Blu. Niiiiccccce!!!

Dobby
02-10-2010, 09:05 AM
Will they put the blind dead films on blu ray?

hellachris
02-11-2010, 01:04 AM
I'm sure they will eventually. I hope they announce Maniac soon.

Wez4555
02-11-2010, 02:49 AM
It just gets better and better!

HellRazor
02-11-2010, 05:59 AM
Will they put the blind dead films on blu ray?

God, I hope so. This would be one of my top "wants" for Blu.

Vlachio
02-11-2010, 10:00 AM
It just gets better and better!

You forgot to mention juicy, wet and bigger. :gay:

Grim
02-14-2010, 12:09 AM
City of the Living Dead is fucking $31.49 on Amazon right now. I really want this, but I think I'll wait until it goes a bit cheaper.

burieddeep
02-14-2010, 01:15 AM
City of the Living Dead is fucking $31.49 on Amazon right now. I really want this, but I think I'll wait until it goes a bit cheaper.

That price is ridiculous. I'll pay $20 at most...may have to wait on this one for a while.

Matt89
02-14-2010, 01:25 AM
Yeah Blue Underground's blu-rays are too expensive for me right now. They're SOOOO expensive in Canada and as much as I love the film, I still can't justify paying over $35 for Dead & Buried. I just can't.

~Matt

Grim
02-14-2010, 01:29 AM
Yeah Blue Underground's blu-rays are too expensive for me right now. They're SOOOO expensive in Canada and as much as I love the film, I still can't justify paying over $35 for Dead & Buried. I just can't.

~Matt

$35 for Dead & Buried? Dang. I paid like $17 on amazon for that. In fact, the majority of BU's blu's have been $15-20 for me. Maybe that's just because most of those were more or less direct ports from their standard-def counterparts and this is a whole new transfer. Then again, wasn't New York Ripper a brand new transfer as well?

Wez4555
02-14-2010, 03:03 AM
Any word of the new transfer for the city of the living dead blu?

Dobby
02-14-2010, 08:46 AM
Any word of the new transfer for the city of the living dead blu?

Nope not that I know of haven't heard anything. I bet its grainy as hell but with richer detail nicer colors.

rhett
02-14-2010, 06:00 PM

^ A month before blu-ray.com. :D

rhett
02-14-2010, 06:02 PM
Also, what do you guys think of the new art for CITY? I think the original GATES OF HELL art they've been using is pretty much unbeatable, but this one, a riff on the UK poster, isn't so bad...

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/4637/51vmlmz6wzl.jpg

dave13
02-14-2010, 06:08 PM
i dig it. very retro poster art feel.

Matt89
02-14-2010, 09:41 PM
I hope they use the artwork on the UK quad of Rosemary's Killer (they used it on the insert) for the blu-ray release of The Prowler. I never really liked the artwork they used for the DVD.

~Matt

Matt89
02-14-2010, 09:46 PM
Wasn't there some rumor a while back that Maniac would make its way to blu-ray as well?

~Matt

Nailwraps
02-14-2010, 10:12 PM
Yeah, that's correct. I believe we might see sometime in the fall.

f.ramses
02-15-2010, 01:15 AM
Back in June or July at Weekend of Horrors NYC William Lustig was saying that we should see Maniac on BD in "about a year" so fall sounds reasonable.

MorallySound
02-15-2010, 01:20 AM
Maniac will definitely be out on 2010, seeing as it's the 30th Anniversary. My guess is more likely fall/winter 2010 seeing as it's official US release date was December 26th, 1980.

Eddyw78
02-20-2010, 01:11 PM
the Prowler is also coming to blu-ray go here
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4146

I wonder if Blue Underground will release the whole of their back catalogue on Blu. I would love to get hi-def versions of Mountain Of The Cannibal God and Shock Waves. I wonder how much of a difference Blu Ray will make to Django. I own the old 2 DVD set & the transfer is pretty darn good.The sound hasent really been given an upgrade, still in mono but it is a DTS lossless track. Suppose thats better than trying to stretch the mono audio into 7.1 as they did with New York Ripper & Toolbox Murders.

SaxCatz
02-27-2010, 10:48 PM
Uncle Sam announced for June 19...
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4223

Katatonia
02-28-2010, 02:00 AM
Uncle Sam announced for June 19...
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4223

:lol: Of course with that title they would be porting over the stills/poster galleries. What exactly do they do, flip a coin at BU?

Mutilated Prey
02-28-2010, 05:27 AM
Glad I pre-orderd The Crazies Blu - shit went up to ovewr $20 on Amazon!

HellRazor
02-28-2010, 06:17 AM
:lol: Of course with that title they would be porting over the stills/poster galleries. What exactly do they do, flip a coin at BU?

Uncle Sam was directed by William Lustig who is CEO of Blue Underground; I imagine there aren't many issues with rights, etc. This movie always tends to get released fast wherever William is working.

Katatonia
03-16-2010, 02:59 AM
Not a good review for the Vampyres Blu-ray (http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/41215/vampyres/).

Mutilated Prey
03-16-2010, 03:18 AM
Uncle Sam was directed by William Lustig who is CEO of Blue Underground; I imagine there aren't many issues with rights, etc. This movie always tends to get released fast wherever William is working.

Well guy that's doesn't necessarilly make it right :rolleyes:

Dobby
03-16-2010, 11:34 AM

Someone forgot to mention the film stinks. I would rather have Maniac on Blu Ray.

dave13
03-16-2010, 05:23 PM
Someone forgot to mention the film stinks. I would rather have Maniac on Blu Ray.

:lol:yeah, no kidding!

Matt89
03-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Maniac is no masterpiece either. Actually, it's a pretty depraved piece of shit with almost no redeeming qualities but hey...I'd still take it over Uncle Sam. :lol:

~Matt

dave13
03-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Maniac is no masterpiece either. Actually, it's a pretty depraved piece of shit with almost no redeeming qualities but hey...I'd still take it over Uncle Sam. :lol:

~Matt

I'd say the sole redeeming factor of Maniac is the novelty of watching Joe Spinell and thinking to yourself: "This guy was in Rocky? And the Godfather?":eek2:

hahaha. seriously, i got nothin but love for Joe Spinell. but damn is it hard to watch him in those movies after seeing him in Maniac. wow.

It's me, Billy
03-16-2010, 07:09 PM
Any word on Torso coming to Blu?

bwana the clown
03-17-2010, 06:35 AM
I'd say the sole redeeming factor of Maniac is the novelty of watching Joe Spinell and thinking to yourself: "This guy was in Rocky? And the Godfather?":eek2:

More intriguing to me is "This guy can get a date with Caroline Munro?" :eek:

Dobby
03-17-2010, 12:42 PM

~Matt

That sounds like the most common review for Trick R Treat. :lol: Don't get me wrong I like that film even though it's meh. As far as Maniac goes well, I'd love to tie you to a chair and make you watch Uncle Sam a million times. Non stop of course then well see if you still feel the same way.

dvdfan
04-30-2010, 05:21 PM
Does anyone know how long the Making of featurette is on City of the Living Dead?

UPDATE: It's listed as 32 minutes in the review linked below.

Katatonia
05-01-2010, 03:06 AM
The Prowler Blu-ray (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003JFCG82/) is now up for pre-orders at various online e-tailers.

rabidgoatboy
05-05-2010, 10:39 PM
Has anyone heard any rumours about any more Argento blu-rays? I'm jonesing for some Deep Red!

dvdfan
05-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Here's a review of the Blue Underground BluRay: LINK (http://www.mondo-digital.com/zombie.html)

Curt Duncan
05-08-2010, 12:09 PM
I am so excited to see The Prowler getting released!! :banana:

I would like to see Deathdream aka The Night Tommy Came Home next.

Nailwraps
05-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Reviews for City of The Living Dead and Django are up!:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/City-of-the-Living-Dead-Blu-ray-Review/9535/

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Django-Blu-ray-Review/9536/

satans-sadists
05-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Great review of Django on DVD Talk: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/42044/django/

Kolpitz
05-19-2010, 06:06 PM
HOLY SHIT! DVD Beaver has put up their review of the Django Blu-ray and differences between the DVDs and the Blu-ray is stunning! Colors are much, much brighter and a lot of the print damage seems to have been removed. Also, I don't remember the Anchor Bay DVD that well but it looks horrible. Each release of this movie has been better than the last and the BD looks amazing.

DVD Beaver Comparison / Review (http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/django.htm)

Nailwraps
05-28-2010, 11:44 PM
I've seen pics of the Django Blu-Ray and I agree, the best transfer I've ever seen! Also, Vigilante has been announced for Blu-Ray.:

http://www.digitalbits.com/#mytwocents

"And our friends at Blue Underground have set William Lustig's Vigilante for release on Blu-ray Disc on 9/21 (SRP $29.98 - the film is already available on DVD). The release will feature a brand new 2K high-def transfer of the original uncut and uncensored version, mastered from the original camera negative. Audio will be DTS-HD MA 7.1 lossless with D-Box motion control enhancement. Extras will include BD-exclusive audio commentary with co-producer/director William Lustig and co-producer Andrew W. Garroni, a second commentary with Lustig and stars Robert Forster, Fred Williamson and Frank Pesce, theatrical trailers, TV spots, radio spots and a promotional reel."

dickieduvet
05-29-2010, 03:07 AM
Hopefully BU have worldwide rights to Vigilante so it might be region free unlike COTLD and Django.

rhett
05-29-2010, 03:18 AM
Lustig's others, Maniac and Uncle Sam, are both also hitting this fall too.

Eddyw78
05-29-2010, 10:32 AM
I do wish that Blue Underground had released Django region free, I really wanted to upgrade my SD DVD of this after seeing those screen captures, It looks fantastic. Can't understand why the SD DVD was region free but the Blu is region A locked. If it was a rights issue then the SD DVD would have been region 1 also. Maybe one of the European distributors are going to release Django to Blu. I can live in hope. Does anyone have any news on this?

fceurich39
06-10-2010, 11:17 PM
from Fangoria

Continuing to bring its library of international fright features to Blu-ray, Blue Underground gave Fango the scoop on a bunch more releases to look forward to. The most noteworthy is a new, mega-packed special edition of William Lustig’s MANIAC, coming just in time for Halloween.

The notorious Joe Spinell-starring gorefest will be unleashed in two-DVD and two-Blu-ray sets October 26, with a brand new hi-def transfer and (on the latter) 7.1 DTS-HD audio. Special features have yet to be finalized, but we’re told there will be around six or seven hours’ worth of ’em, including fresh interviews with lead actress Caroline Munro, FX creator Tom Savini, composer Jay Chattaway and “Maniac” songwriters Michael Sembello and Dennis Matkosky (yes, the FLASHDANCE hit was originally intended for MANIAC’s soundtrack!). We’ll bring you full details as soon as we get ’em. Lustig’s urban actioner VIGILANTE makes its Blu-ray debut via BU September 21, and on the company’s Blu-ray schedule for 2011 (no specific dates yet) are Dario Argento’s DEEP RED, INFERNO and CAT O’ NINE TAILS, Larry Cohen’s Q: THE WINGED SERPENT and GOD TOLD ME TO and Harry Kümel’s DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS.

Grim
06-10-2010, 11:28 PM
Maniac, Deep Red, Inferno, Cat O'Nine Tails, and a bunch of Larry Cohen, nice. If only AB would announce blu's of Tenebre and Phenomena so I can finally get rid of those "Dario Argento Collection" DVD sets. I've never seen Daughters of Darkness so I may have to check that one out as well.

CPT HOOK
06-10-2010, 11:40 PM
Is it weird that I'm actually excited for Uncle Sam on blu-ray?

I never bought the film on any previous format, and I have fond memories of renting the mid 90s A-PIX VHS stuff like this, The Fear, and Jack Frost.

satans-sadists
06-11-2010, 12:11 AM
from Fangoria

and on the company’s Blu-ray schedule for 2011 (no specific dates yet) are Dario Argento’s DEEP RED, INFERNO and CAT O’ NINE TAILS, Larry Cohen’s Q: THE WINGED SERPENT and GOD TOLD ME TO and Harry Kümel’s DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS.

Look forward to all of these titles, especially Q: The Winged Serpent on Blu-ray.

Nailwraps
06-11-2010, 12:23 AM
Finally! More Argento films on Blu! :D

dave13
06-11-2010, 01:59 AM
Special features have yet to be finalized, but we’re told there will be around six or seven hours’ worth of ’em

:eek:
six or seven hours worth!?!? for Maniac??? thats just bizarre, but ok, I'll bite. I sold my dvd copy years ago, but i've been feeling the 70's exploitation vibe a lot lately, so i'm sure i'll pick this up.

Maniac, Deep Red, Inferno, Cat O'Nine Tails, and a bunch of Larry Cohen, nice. If only AB would announce blu's of Tenebre and Phenomena so I can finally get rid of those "Dario Argento Collection" DVD sets. I've never seen Daughters of Darkness so I may have to check that one out as well.

Daughters of Darkness is beautiful. A great movie, and should look nice on blu. Never been a huge Larry Cohen fan. His movies have always felt so static. i don't know that he's really much of a director. It'll be interesting to see what blue underground does with inferno, since we have all these other companies releasing blu rays of it in the next few months. And Deep Red on blu ray? Fucking sold. Definitely my favorite Argento film. While we're on the subject of films anchor bay should release on blu ray, does anybody know the status/rights situation for Herzog's Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht? That is one of my all-time favorite vampire films, and i've been waiting since the time I first got my blu ray player for it to be released.

Nailwraps
06-21-2010, 06:20 PM
Uncle Sam Blu-Ray has been reviewed:

http://www.avmaniacs.com/review.php?id=1447

CPT HOOK
06-21-2010, 07:12 PM
Anyone know the best price on Uncle Sam blu-ray? Cheapest I've found is $20.37 at DeepDiscount.

I remember Crazies and Manchester Morgue were $16.99 on amazon the week of their release, I would go for it if it were in that price range.

Nailwraps
06-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Another review for Uncle Sam Blu.:

http://10kbullets.com/reviews/u/uncle-sam-bluray/

Nailwraps
06-26-2010, 05:45 PM
Maniac Blu-Ray cover and specs have been revealed!:

http://10kbullets.com/

"Frank Zito (a career performance by co-writer/co-executive producer Joe Spinell of ROCKY and THE GODFATHER fame) is a deeply disturbed man, haunted by the traumas of unspeakable childhood abuse. And when these horrific memories begin to scream inside his mind, Frank prowls the seedy streets of New York City to stalk and slaughter innocent young women. Now Frank has begun a relationship with a beautiful photographer (Caroline Munro of THE SPY WHO LOVED ME), yet his vile compulsions remain. These are the atrocities of a human monster. This is the story of a MANIAC.

Directed by William Lustig (MANIAC COP, VIGILANTE) and featuring landmark gore effects by Tom Savini (DAWN OF THE DEAD, FRIDAY THE 13th), this relentlessly shocking and disturbing film was originally censored all over the world due to its graphic violence. Blue Underground is now proud to present MANIAC in a new 2K High Definition transfer from the original uncut and uncensored negative, loaded with hours of brand new Extras!

Disc 1 Extras:
• Audio Commentary #1 with Co-Producer/Director William Lustig and Co-Producer Andrew W. Garroni
• Audio Commentary #2 with Co-Producer/Director William Lustig, Special Make-Up Effects Artist Tom Savini, Editor Lorenzo Marinelli, and Joe Spinell’s Assistant Luke Walter
• Anna and the Killer – Interview with Star Caroline Munro
• The Death Dealer – Interview with Special Make-Up Effects Artist Tom Savini
• Dark Notes – Interview with Composer Jay Chattaway
• Maniac Men – Interview with Songwriters Michael Sembello and Dennis Matkosky
• Theatrical Trailers
• TV Spots
• Radio Spots
Disc 2 Extras:
• The Joe Spinell Story
• MANIAC Publicity
• MANIAC Controversy

Video Specs: 1.85:1 1080p
Audio Specs: 7.1 DTS-HD; 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround EX; Dolby Surround 2.0
Languages: English, French, Italian, German
Optional Subtitles: English SDH, Français, Español, Português, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Thai

Suggested Retail Price: $29.98
Street Date: September 21st, 2010"

No news yet on the DVD release, but it's possible the specs (except for audio/subtitles) for it are the same as the DVD unless otherwise noted.

Hellbilly
06-26-2010, 05:49 PM
Great news. I still own the old letterbox Elite DVD so this will make for a cool upgrade.

bigdaddyhorse
06-26-2010, 07:21 PM
Damn, should I try and sell my Maniac tin now or just keep it for collection purposes? I think I'll have to get the BD with all those extras and something else, uh, oh yeah, H fucking D!

Matt89
06-27-2010, 12:56 AM
Wow I'm totally all over this. This is one sick, depraved movie, but it's just so insane I have to own it. Haven't seen it in years, and a 2-disc blu-ray? Fuckin sick! Blue Underground is becoming the Criterion of horror cinema.

~Matt

dave13
06-27-2010, 03:44 AM
Blue Underground is becoming the Criterion of horror cinema.

yeah, now if only they released new content as frequently as criterion! seriously though, blue underground kicks ass.

Nailwraps
06-27-2010, 09:28 PM
I found the DVD specs and cover. As suspected the extras are the same as the Blu. The audio specs for DVD are 6.1 DTS-ES, Dolby Digital 5.1, and Dolby Surround 2.0 soundtracks. Both releases will be presented in anamorphic 1.85:1 widescreen. Fangoria has the report.:

http://www.fangoria.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1261:full-specsart-maniac-double-blu-ray-a-dvd-sets&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=167

Eddyw78
06-28-2010, 09:21 AM

Looks like Arrow are releasing this at the end of september. No news on specs or extras though. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenebrae-Blu-ray/dp/B003NEQ71G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1277709558&sr=1-1

Grim
06-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Looks like Arrow are releasing this at the end of september. No news on specs or extras though. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenebrae-Blu-ray/dp/B003NEQ71G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1277709558&sr=1-1

That looks enticing, but I'll probably just wait. Unless I see some dude hawking them at a convention. Then I might not be able to resist. But every time I buy an import, a far superior local release gets announced like a month later, so I'll wait for a bit.

Crystal Plumage
06-28-2010, 08:05 PM
Phenomena is coming too.

Mutilated Prey
06-28-2010, 08:22 PM
Never got the Maniac DVD, just had a clone. I'm all over ze Blu!

Good news on Phenomena too, but I just got the Argento Collection set with the upgraded standard DVD release of that so I'll probably hold off on upgrading that one for a while.

foller
06-28-2010, 09:51 PM
I hope they port over all the old extras since I can not find the "Mr. Robbie" footage in the announced extras.

Nailwraps
06-28-2010, 10:45 PM
For the record, the Mr. Robbie footage can be found in the Tromasterpiece edition of The Last Horror Film

Eddyw78
06-29-2010, 12:02 PM
That looks enticing, but I'll probably just wait. Unless I see some dude hawking them at a convention. Then I might not be able to resist. But every time I buy an import, a far superior local release gets announced like a month later, so I'll wait for a bit.

As its Arrow releasing this it should be good, just look at their Blu Ray track record.

Grim
06-29-2010, 04:56 PM
As its Arrow releasing this it should be good, just look at their Blu Ray track record.

Yeah but it's still pricey importing stuff. If they get good reviews and I see them cheap at a convention then maybe.

MorallySound
06-29-2010, 11:02 PM
For the record, the Mr. Robbie footage can be found in the Tromasterpiece edition of The Last Horror Film

Same with the Tromasterpiece edition of Combat Shock.

spawningblue
06-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Nice, have to pick this one up! Looks like it is missing a few extras from the previous releases though which is kind of disappointing.

Gallery of Outrage, Poster/ Still Gallery, and Radio Interview with Co-Producer/ Director William Lustig, and Stars Joe Spinell & Caroline Munro from the Anchor Bay release, and the Deleted "Date" scene, and the promotional short for the never produced "Maniac II: Mister Robbie" from the Elite DVD.

Nailwraps
07-12-2010, 05:28 AM
The Prowler Blu-Ray has been reviewed!:

http://10kbullets.com/reviews/p/prowler-the-bluray/

Matt89
07-12-2010, 07:03 AM
Wow those caps look amazing. Looks like the film has a solid transfer. That first cap scared the shit out of me as a kid. Seriously, that is one scary image.

~Matt

Grim
07-12-2010, 07:30 AM
Nice. Can't wait for this.

And what is Joseph Zito's infatuation with weird white eyes?

Terry44
07-12-2010, 08:14 AM
Another Prowler review with Hi Res captures

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/43470/prowler-the/

crikan
07-12-2010, 03:19 PM

This is great news. I'll be picking it up for sure.

Horrorphilly
07-12-2010, 03:32 PM
One of my fav slashers.The blu will mark the 3rd time Ive bought this on disc format.

sean

bigdaddyhorse
07-12-2010, 05:36 PM

I don't know if this reviewer understands the commentary is old, probably originally done for laserdisc, (dvd at least) so to say the blu is a director approved transfer from the commentary mentioning Joe did the color timing is kinda laughable. Other than that sounds like another great blu-ray coming out.

ctyner
07-13-2010, 04:32 AM
I don't know if this reviewer understands the commentary is old, probably originally done for laserdisc, (dvd at least)Aargh. I promise that I'm normally aware of that sort of thing. My brain was clearly out of step when I was clacking away at my keyboard on Saturday.

SickNick89
07-13-2010, 04:54 AM
I don't know if this reviewer understands the commentary is old, probably originally done for laserdisc, (dvd at least) so to say the blu is a director approved transfer from the commentary mentioning Joe did the color timing is kinda laughable. Other than that sounds like another great blu-ray coming out.

2003 DVD, their was no laserdisc release for The Prowler.

Matt89
07-13-2010, 04:56 AM
Yeah the commentary was definitely done for the DVD. There's a part where Savini comments, "This movie was unavailable for years. Now fans can get it on DVD."

But I'm guessing this got a whole new high def transfer? Because there's no way the transfer for the DVD back in 2003 was HD. Not from Blue Underground at least...

~Matt

bigdaddyhorse
07-13-2010, 06:04 PM
Aargh. I promise that I'm normally aware of that sort of thing. My brain was clearly out of step when I was clacking away at my keyboard on Saturday.

Cool enough, honest mistake and good to see the reviewer in tha house.:D

2003 DVD, their was no laserdisc release for The Prowler.

Wasn't sure if taht was a carry-over. I did listen to the commentary, but that was around 2004 when I picked the dvd up and wasn't sure if a laser existed. Seems like most obscure horror flicks made it to laser...

Katatonia
07-16-2010, 02:33 AM
Another review (with screengrabs) for The Prowler Blu-ray:
http://www.mondo-digital.com/prowler.html

rhett
07-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Just to add to the upcoming titles that fceurich39 announced, SALON KITTY hits Blu-ray in November and tentatively sometime in 2011 is Fulci's HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY. The new Argento titles will be special editions, so expect to see some new extras on all of them. After a quiet couple of years, BU really seems to be pouring it on now. Great stuff.

Paff
07-19-2010, 08:25 PM
And I'd like to point out that none of these movies are being remade (at least not at the moment), so all this "Remakes help get the Blu-Ray releases of the originals" comments can end now, please?

dave13
07-20-2010, 01:15 AM
Just to add to the upcoming titles that fceurich39 announced, SALON KITTY hits Blu-ray in November and tentatively sometime in 2011 is Fulci's HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY. The new Argento titles will be special editions, so expect to see some new extras on all of them. After a quiet couple of years, BU really seems to be pouring it on now. Great stuff.

yes, yes, and more yes!

bigdaddyhorse
07-20-2010, 05:00 PM
I have to say, I expected to never see Ilsa or Salon Kitty on another format.

Katatonia
07-24-2010, 04:30 AM
DVDBeaver review (http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews51/the_prowler_blu-ray.htm) of The Prowler Blu-ray, with screenshot comparisons.

MorallySound
07-24-2010, 04:44 AM
I have to say, I expected to never see Ilsa or Salon Kitty on another format.

Wait! Are you saying Ilsa is coming to Blu-ray? Or you just never expected it, along with Salon Kitty, to surpass the VHS format?

blu
07-24-2010, 05:41 AM
DVDBeaver review (http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews51/the_prowler_blu-ray.htm) of The Prowler Blu-ray, with screenshot comparisons.

Wow there's a huge difference between the DVD and the BD. Mighty impressive. Can't wait to get this BD.

Nailwraps
07-28-2010, 11:30 PM
Salon Kitty Blu-Ray details and cover has been revealed (and it will be the uncensored director's cut!).:

http://10kbullets.com/

"Berlin, 1939: At the dawn of World War II, power-mad SS Officer Wallenberg (Helmut Berger of THE DAMNED) is ordered to find and train Germany’s most beautiful women to work in the opulent brothel of Madam Kitty (Ingrid Thulin of CRIES AND WHISPERS). Here these Nazi nymphs will submit to the bizarre passions and carnal degradations of the Reich’s highest-ranking men and women while Wallenberg secretly records their acts for blackmail. But when an innocent young prostitute (Teresa Ann Savoy of CALIGULA) uncovers the conspiracy, her revenge will ignite a holocaust of pain, pleasure and shocking sexual perversion. The story is true. The depravity is real. The film is SALON KITTY.

John Steiner (TENEBRE), Tina Aumont (TORSO) and John Ireland (RED RIVER) co-star in this infamous epic co-written and directed by Tinto Brass and featuring exquisite production design by Oscar® winner Ken Adam (BARRY LYNDON, GOLDFINGER). Released in America as the heavily censored MADAM KITTY, this controversial shocker has been newly transferred and fully restored in opulent High Defintion from the director’s own personal vault materials featuring extended scenes of unspeakable sexual atrocities.

Extras:
• Inside Salon Kitty – Interview with Director Tinto Brass
• Designing Salon Kitty – Interview with Production Designer Ken Adam
• International Trailer
• U.S. Trailer
• Radio Spots

Video Specs: 1.85:1 1080p
Audio Specs: DTS-HD Mono
Languages: English, Italian
Optional Subtitles: English SDH, Français, Español, English on Italian Version

Suggested Retail Price: $34.98
Street Date: November 23, 2010"

Nailwraps
08-05-2010, 06:19 PM
Machine Gun McCain has been reviewed.:

http://www.mondo-digital.com/machinegun.html

Eddyw78
08-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Salan Kitty is a back catalogue release from Blue Underground I will not bother with. Not sure how good a seller this will be?

X-human
08-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Salon Kitty Blu-Ray details and cover has been revealed (and it will be the uncensored director's cut!).

Sweet, that'll be a must buy.

rlkrefft
08-05-2010, 08:58 PM
What about Suspiria and Demons are they on the short list for blu ray?

Nailwraps
08-07-2010, 01:30 AM
Machine Gun McCain Blu-Ray reviewed:

http://10kbullets.com/reviews/m/machine-gun-mccain-bluray/