PDA

View Full Version : Tartan: Tale of Two Sisters, Lady Vengeance & I'm a Cyborg

X-human
03-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Funny thing is I skipped over this originally because the headline had titles I wasn't interested in, I've corrected that problem for this forum. ;)Tartan Video has revealed their Blu-ray release schedule for this spring, a six-strong slate headlined by the acclaimed dramas 'Paranoid Park' and 'The Proposition.'

The wave begins on April 14 with the Asian chiller 'A Tale of Two Sisters,' followed two weeks later on April 28 by Gus Van Sant's acclaimed teen drama 'Paranoid Park.'

A double-header from 'Oldboy' director Park Chan-Wook will follow on May 26, with separate stand-alone releases of his comedic-fantasy 'I'm a Cyborg,' and thriller 'Lady Vengeance.'

Finally, June 23 will see the release of rocker Nick Cave's critically-praised revisionist western 'The Proposition,' and the animated Korean cult favorite 'Sky Blue.'

Tartan has yet to issue full press releases for the six titles, so tech specs and supplement details remain TBA.

Suggested retail prices for each Blu-ray have been set at $34.95.http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Tartan/Disc_Announcements/Paranoid_Park,_Proposition_Lead_Tartan_Spring_Blu-ray_Slate/1537

I'll be picking up 'A Tale of Two Sisters,' 'I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK' and 'Sympathy for Lady Vengeance' for sure.

Grim
03-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Yeah, I'll be getting Two Sisters and Lady Vengeance. Haven't heard much about the other two though.

Reverenddave
03-07-2008, 05:39 AM
I'm in for The Proposition, Tale Of Two Sisters and Lady Vengeance. The Proposition is excellent. Check out the Ebert review:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060518/REVIEWS/60509003/1023

KamuiX
03-07-2008, 06:22 AM
A Tale of Two Sisters and Lady Vengeance on Blu-Ray should be phenomenal!! I only own imports of those 2, and not the Tartan DVD's, so I'll definitely pick those up. It's the same for I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK, which I'll probably grab as well.

Sky Blue should look pretty great in 1080p, as the animation is phenomenal. The story leaves something to be desired though. I'd definitely rent it.

X-human
03-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Judging by the release dates (Mondays) people are now suspecting that these will be UK releases, although the $ amount fits with US releases. I think I read there's even a distribution conflict with one of the announce titles. So we'll have to see.

Reportedly Oldboy's transfer was lackluster, so hopefully Tartan will turn that around. A little too late in my book though, as Oldboy is easily the best title they have.

KamuiX
03-07-2008, 11:45 PM
I think I read there's even a distribution conflict with one of the announce titles. So we'll have to see.

Maybe The Proposition?? Because I have the R1 DVD, and it's from First Look. I just figured maybe the rights had changed. Ah well, as long as they're region free :D

othervoice1
03-08-2008, 04:18 AM
I have a tale of two sisters on dvd already and love it. But if a blu-ray version comes out and gets great reviews its gonna be tough not to double dip. I have to keep telling myself no- no double dipping on what I already have on standard dvd......

Reverenddave
03-08-2008, 04:28 PM
Judging by the release dates (Mondays) people are now suspecting that these will be UK releases, although the $ amount fits with US releases. I think I read there's even a distribution conflict with one of the announce titles. So we'll have to see.

You might be right. The Proposition was released on DVD in the UK by Tartan.

Also, I see this info listed at DVDActive (a UK DVD site):

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/more-tartan-blu-ray.html

On the positive side, Tartan's UK Blu-Rays have been region free. So you can import them.

Reverenddave
05-01-2008, 09:27 PM
It turns out that First Look has rights to Proposition in the USA, and is going to release the Blu-Ray on August 19th with a $19.98 MSRP.

Excellent movie. This is a must-buy for me.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/First_Look/Disc_Announcements/First_Look_Has_Blu-ray_Proposition/1693