PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else miss the format war?

Reverenddave
03-13-2008, 03:14 PM
I've gotta admit, now that HD-DVD is history, I liked picking up an Xbox 360 HD-DVD add-on for under $50. I also grabbed a few good HD-DVDs recently for under $10 each, and I'm hoping the prices get even better.

But I miss all the weekly B1G1 sales. And I guess those 5 Free Discs with a player purchase is also gone (I haven't seen any new offers). Some blu-ray disc prices seem to have dropped a little bit. But overall, I haven't been able to match the prices I was getting a few months ago.

At least the format war kept things interesting. It was fun to keep on top of the latest HD happenings. Now all the news is kinda blah.

Grim
03-13-2008, 04:07 PM
Meh, until the price of the players and the discs themselves go down, I think we'll still see these deals popping up. Maybe not as frequently, but they'll still be around.

X-human
03-13-2008, 04:18 PM
While there were interesting announcements here and there, overall the fanboy mentality on both sides that filled the inbetweens and piled on top of each announcement was tiresome.

Pricing was great though, I got many Blu-rays for under $10 in early January from Amazon. Oh well, nothing last forever. I decided against picking up HD-DVD's cheap since Toshiba folded. I still have too many Blu-ray's to watch as it is.

dwatts
03-13-2008, 06:14 PM
While there were interesting announcements here and there, overall the fanboy mentality on both sides that filled the inbetweens and piled on top of each announcement was tiresome.

Amen, did this ever bring out the worst in people or what? Film itself got brushed under the carpet - or the reverse happened, and people complained that film was getting brushed under the carpet while the benefits of the new formats were battered and/or ignored. In short, people went a little mad.

So I'm glad it's over. There will be some hold outs claiming the upgrade isn't worth it etc - but they're mostly people who can't afford the upgrade of a TV and player, or are half blind. :D

Prices need to sort themselves out, as us stuck in the UK are paying way way more than you R1 folk - surely you can feel our pain?

geeare
03-13-2008, 06:21 PM
nope, glad we won!

Noto
03-14-2008, 01:06 AM
I'm thrilled it's over because now people can get back to talking about the flicks themselves and stop talking about how they got Good Luck Chuck just because it was a BOGO.

Azmodan
03-14-2008, 04:25 AM
I'm glad its all over but I miss the heated debates. I'm getting really sick of the arguing that is going on now, heated by bitter HD-DVD fans about how Blu-ray is doomed and HD-VMD/Downloads/SUC is the next format...

I took the dive when Warner announced they were going Blu and can't say I regret it. Watching Blu-ray is incredible... even vs. upscaled dvds

Shannafey
03-15-2008, 02:02 PM
I'm really glad it's over, but I'm not going to touch Blu Ray until a drastic price drop on both players and discs.

ekent
03-15-2008, 02:15 PM
I truly think that HD VMD will heat the war back up. The intro price levels of HD VMD units will be extremely low because they use red lasers. I plan on sticking with Bluray because HD VMD will not support DolbyTrueHD or DTS-HD master audio codecs. I'm also not that wild about 4-6 layer DVD5's either.

Livingdead102
03-15-2008, 06:37 PM
I wonder if HD adoption will actually be hurt by the ending of the format war. I'm sure lots of people have been waiting for a clear winner to take the plunge into HD, but I get the feeling that with Blu-Ray prices already starting to rise, everyone who has been saying that it's too expensive are even less likely to consider upgrading soon and some of those who might have upgraded at the previous price points might see prices rising and decide against the upgrade. It could be that the end of the format war might buy M$ even more time to establish downloads as a viable means of acquiring movies. Then again, it looks like the PS3 is finally starting to gain serious ground thanks to Blu-Ray, so who knows what's going to happen. Let's hope it is as interesting as the format war was.

Noto
03-15-2008, 07:11 PM
I've still yet to see evidence of American Blu-ray pricing on the rise.

I just keep seeing sale after sale.

X-human
03-15-2008, 07:23 PM
The MSRP on retail certainly hasn't gone up. In fact Fox just dropped their MSRP AFTER Toshiba's announcement (http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Fox/High-Def_Disc_Marketing/Fox_Slashes_Prices_on_Blu-ray_Catalog/1563).

But overall nothing is a cheap as it was for Christmas. The Wii Zapper for instance was back to $25 in retail stores on January 1st when it was $20 before that after Thanksgiving. Prices shot up on items for all consoles.

I hate to break it to people, but it's been done like this for decades. It's something you can set your watch to.

Reverenddave
03-15-2008, 07:25 PM

Speaking as someone that buys a lot of Blu-Ray discs, for the past month or so I've been paying more per-movie than I was back in 9/07-12/07.

There's also this:

Blu-ray player prices hit 2008 highs as competition dwindles
By Mark Raby
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 08:57

Pricewatch - Blu-ray Disc players from Samsung, Sony and Sharp are now the most expensive they have been all year, presumably because HD DVD's exit from the high-def disc arena has removed some of Blu-ray's pricing pressure.

Although HD DVD was always seen as a distant second in the HD format war, it constantly received attention because of the lower cost of its players. Because of this, standalone Blu-ray players were not moving off store shelves very steadily.

The majority of Blu-ray Disc movie purchases have to date been for consumers who own a Playstation 3, which has BD playback capabilities.

In a move to expedite HD DVD's downfall, Blu-ray manufacturers and retailers aggressively cut prices earlier this year, to the point where it was possible to buy a standalone BD player for less than $300.

Now, however, according to Pricegrabber.com's most recent information, the average price for Blu-ray hardware is around $400, which is right around where it was last year. The players from Samsung, Sony, Sharp and Panasonic included here are the least expensive on the market and also the most widely available. LG's BH200 is a dual format player with support for Blu-ray and HD DVD.

Within just the last two weeks, the average prices for LG's BH200 player and Sharp's BD-HP20U have climbed significantly. Every standalone Blu-ray-specific player in the chart above is now more expensive than it was at the beginning of the year.

Sony's S300 seems to have settled pretty calmly at the $400 point, despite being closer to $300 at the beginning of the year. With Sony's PS3 at the same price point, it is hard to justify buying the standalone Blu-ray player. That goes for all the devices listed here.

By looking at these prices, it is pretty clear that the PS3 did in fact almost singlehandedly declare the winner of the format war. Another point worth noting is that all of these players will reach a certain level of obsolescence later this year, as soon as the new BD Profile is released.

Later this year, Blu-ray movies will carry a new slate of advanced features, most notable being the ability to connect to the Internet. However, none of the Blu-ray players on the market today (with the exception of the PS3) can connect online. This means that not only will they be unable to access Web-enabled features in the future but they also cannot receive firmware upgrades.

With that reality looming, it surprises me that current players are still price as high as they are, and especially that they continue to rise. Obviously they are rebounding from the HD DVD competition, but if these prices don't come down soon, they will be forced down significantly more when the new wave of players comes out.

Meanwhile, the HD-A3 HD DVD player set a new low today, with the average Pricegrabber price at $98. It is interesting that this and other HD DVD players continue to plummet in price, because they do after all still function as DVD upconverters.

Ironically, although Blu-ray has been declared the winner, it is right now about the worst time to invest in a standalone Blu-ray player, because of the high prices and looming obsolescence. Many of the current Blu-ray manufacturers have announced new players that will support BD Profile 2.0, so my advice would be to buy a PS3 or wait for the next-gen players. In the meantime, buy a dirt cheap HD DVD player and some even cheaper HD DVD movies.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/36428/113/

Livingdead102
03-15-2008, 09:15 PM

I just keep seeing sale after sale.

You could be right. I was just referring to a few articles I read talking about how players and movies have tended to increase in price since HD-DVD tanked. If they've misinformed me, my bad.

KR~!
03-16-2008, 12:06 AM
You could be right. I was just referring to a few articles I read talking about how players and movies have tended to increase in price since HD-DVD tanked. If they've misinformed me, my bad.

he is right, just check out this thread for a realistic look on what's happening:
http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?goto=newpost&threadid=34942

dwatts
03-16-2008, 11:57 AM
I've seen this elsewhere, with screen shots of some comparison pricing sites. Prices have indeed risen since the war was won. Not incredibly, but that's definately the trend.

KR~!
03-16-2008, 01:54 PM
I've seen this elsewhere, with screen shots of some comparison pricing sites. Prices have indeed risen since the war was won. Not incredibly, but that's definately the trend.

maybe but who the fuck buys retail? :hum:

There are just as many sales and discounts now as there was before.

dwatts
03-16-2008, 02:40 PM
maybe but who the fuck buys retail?

What on earth makes you think the comparison sites only check retail stores? They don't, you should check them out sometime. :D

Comparitively prices have gone up - it's simply based on the overall evidence. I don't care either way at the moment, but thems the figures.

Reverenddave
03-16-2008, 06:16 PM
Check this out. Philips announced a Blu-Ray player in January (at CES) for $349, which would've been a new low for BR players. Now that HD-DVD is dead, they've increased the price to $399.

Philips: $349 Blu-ray Player Going to $399
The company says HD DVD's exit is not behind the price increase.

Washington, D.C. (March 13, 2008) -- In January, Philips issued a press release saying its BDP7200 Blu-ray player would be released in April with a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $349.

Scores of print and online publications reported on the Philips announcement, noting that it would be the lowest-priced Blu-ray player on the market -- $50 less than Sony's BDP-S300.

However, late last month, Toshiba announced that it was exiting the HD DVD business, ceding victory to its high-def disc rival, Blu-ray. Since then, no longer concerned about low-cost HD DVD players, Blu-ray makers have increased the price of their players, albeit slightly.

And Philips joined the crowd today, telling TVPredictions.com that its BDP7200 will be $399 next month -- not $349 as stated last January.

However, Philips spokeswoman Katie Bromley said the new price "was not related" to HD DVD's exit.

"(Philips) thought ($349) would be the cost at the time (in January)," she said.

However, when TVPredictions.com first asked about the new price tag, Bromley said the $349 price in the January press release was a "typo."

Bromley was then reminded that scores of publications had written about the $349 price last January -- and that Philips had never issued a correction saying the price should be $399.

After that conversation, she called TVPredictions.com back and said the $349 price was not a typo after all. Actually, she said, the price had changed sometime after it was originally set at $349.

Bromley said she did not know why Philips decided the price had to be raised to $399, but she said it definitely had nothing to do with HD DVD departing.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/philips031308.htm

Noto
03-16-2008, 07:55 PM
Does no one pay attention to anything when there isn't a format war going strong? All televisions/players/gadgets go up in price in February-March. Prices will drop again in May-June when the summer products hit the shelves.

As far as software prices, they are dropping. In many cases you can buy the Blu version of a movie for the same price or even less then you can buy the DVD.

KR~!
03-16-2008, 07:59 PM
Does no one pay attention to anything when there isn't a format war going strong? All televisions/players/gadgets go up in price in February-March. Prices will drop again in May-June when the summer products hit the shelves.

As far as software prices, they are dropping. In many cases you can buy the Blu version of a movie for the same price or even less then you can buy the DVD.

that doesn't make good headlines ;)

Reverenddave
03-16-2008, 09:25 PM
Just to make sure I wasn't imagining things, I looked at my past orders at Amazon. I compared the last 30 days to the month of October. I figure that's before the Christmas sales. At the time I bought less Blu-Rays, because I was also buying HD-DVDs. But I'm a shrewd shopper and only go for the best price. These are all new discs, and don't include any used purchases.

Here's the results:

PAST 30 DAYS
Bought 25 Blu-Rays
Total Price = $340.30
Avg. Price = $13.61

OCTOBER 2007
Bought 9 Blu-Rays
Total Price = $114.75
Avg. Price = $12.75

As I said before, I buy a lot of Blu-Rays. I probably have over 250 total. I'm an experienced shopper and I know how to find the best deals. I'm not seeing lower prices on Blu-Ray discs. Despite some lower MSRPs, the discounts just aren't as good as they were 6 months ago.

Livingdead102
03-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Ah, so Blu-Ray is increasing in price, but only as a result of the natural market cycle. I got ya.

dwatts
03-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Yes, the natrual market cycle after they won. With the announcement they won't license to Chinese based manfacturers, prices won't drop as they did with SD - which is a pity.