PDA

View Full Version : The Thing-The Fog HD?

kcgaidin
04-08-2008, 03:39 AM
Any thoughts on if these titles will be given a true HD treatment anytime soon?

I almost went HD-DVD just because it had The Thing but then read the review and lost interest(Glad I didn't blow that money).

These two titles would make me incredibly happy to see(Along with the Halloween with the "correct" color timing, in HD)

Dave
04-12-2008, 01:20 PM
The Fog is actually available on HD-DVD import, which I got for $7.50 (it's a bit more now). It does looks incredible.

The Thing HD-DVD also looks amazing; not sure why you were turned off by a review.

Reverenddave
04-12-2008, 10:09 PM
The Thing is an excellent HD disc. It's always been considered a benchmark for how good an 80's movie can look in high def. The Fog is pretty good too. Not quite the level of The Thing, but still an nice improvement over the standard DVD. And it's usually on sale from UK online stores, so you can probably get it for around $10-$12.

Personally, I think the whole "color timing" issue on the Halloween Blu-Ray has been blown way out of proportion. It's an amazing disc and I'm very happy to own it. Plus it's often on sale, and you can pick it up for around $12. Seriously, anyone with a Blu-Ray Player that's passing on this disc is really missing out.

X-human
04-12-2008, 10:49 PM
I think we can except The Thing on Blu-ray relatively soon, as Universal already has a 1080p master. The money's already been spent so they'll fast track something to stick out there.

The Fog is MGM and they've been running hot and cold, mostly cold. The remake bombed. Don't know when we can expect anything from them.

Personally, I think the whole "color timing" issue on the Halloween Blu-Ray has been blown way out of proportion. It's an amazing disc and I'm very happy to own it. Plus it's often on sale, and you can pick it up for around $12. Seriously, anyone with a Blu-Ray Player that's passing on this disc is really missing out.

Speaking for myself Anchor Bay's constant double dipping makes it so that I can be pretty picky; if they don't get the perfect release the first time I just have to wait a couple years an AB will undoubtably release another remastering.

With Don May Jr. shopping around the camera negatives for all the cut footage, there could a damn good edition coming down the line.