PDA

View Full Version : Planet of the Apes: Get Your Stinkin` Paws on It!

X-human
04-09-2008, 01:01 AM
Fox already announced the original will be coming, but DigitalBits reports that the full box set is on its way as well:In the wake of the death of Charlton Heston, we've learned from our industry sources (and other sources as well) that Fox is currently planning to bow what would be a fitting tribute - a Blu-ray Disc box set of not just the classic Planet of the Apes feature film, but possibly all four sequels as well, sometime in the 3rd or 4th quarter of this year. This would include at least some new featurettes and other extras. Word is Fox has even discovered the original ending from the preview cut of Conquest of the Planet of the Apes. All of this would be part of a 40th anniversary celebration of the original film.

It's also worth reminding you that Warner has officially confirmed that they're planning to deliver Ben-Hur on Blu-ray Disc in 2009.http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#040808

I've been pretty "meh" about most everything announced so far this year, so this is some great news. Too bad both this and Batman: The Movie are from Fox with their hiked up MSRP. I'll probably have to hold out from these few titles I actually want until they drop prices.

Shannafey
04-09-2008, 02:01 AM
This is tempting since I still don't have them on DVD, but I don't like that apehead set with all the movies, the TV series and the animated series. I keep meaning to pick that up!

Erick H.
04-09-2008, 07:06 AM
This would be a great set and I've always wanted to see the original ending of CONQUEST.

dwatts
04-09-2008, 08:32 AM
Not so sure about this one. I bought the DVD box set and watched them once. That's not very good replay value.

MorallySound
04-09-2008, 05:10 PM
I have the limited edition Caesar bust/DVD set, that's fine for me. Plus I'm not Blu-ray.

geeare
04-09-2008, 05:58 PM
the original is enough for me and there will be a Blu for that for sure.

KR~!
04-09-2008, 06:56 PM
loved the 1st one, don't really care about the rest.

maybrick
04-09-2008, 07:54 PM
I like the fourth one. Don't care much for the others, even the original.

X-human
04-09-2008, 09:49 PM
the original is enough for me and there will be a Blu for that for sure.

I didn't make that too clear, Fox has officially announced the original 1968 film is coming to Blu-ray this year. This is an unofficial statement from an official source that the rest of the series is currently being worked on as well and will probably be released later this year.

Burton's Apes was one of the first Blu-ray releases from Fox actually. Which, in spite of Estella Warren, I will not be getting.

fattyjoe37
04-10-2008, 05:23 AM
I love the first and third movies. After that the series is just OK in my book, but it never got terrible. And the ending for part two is mucho ballsy for a big studio franchise.

X-human
07-31-2008, 07:14 PM
A format where apes evolve from lasers! From HighDefDigest.com:Unveiling their most extensive high-def box set yet, Fox has released details for the November Blu-ray debut of all five classic 'Planet of the Apes' films.

One of the most iconic sci-fi franchises in cinema history, the five 'Apes' films -- 'Planet of the Apes,' 'Beneath the Planet of the Apes,' 'Escape from the Planet of the Apes,' 'Conquest of the Planet of the Apes' and 'Battle for the Planet of the Apes' -- will be packaged on Blu-ray as 'Planet of the Apes: 40-Year Evolution Collection,' which will hit stores on November 4.

This six-disc set will see each 'Apes' film get its own BD-50 dual-layer disc (with an additional disc for extras), each in remastered 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 video and with DTS-HD Lossless Master Audio 5.1 Surround tracks.

Standard extras will see all the same material from Fox's previous 'Apes' DVD releases, including multiple audio and text commentaries, the "Behind the Planet of the Apes" documentary, additional featurettes, multiple still galleries, rare archival materials, and theatrical trailers for all five films.

Exclusive to the Blu-ray box set will be a slew of bonus materials both rare and never-before-seen. Included on all five films will be an isolated score in DTS-MA 5.1 Surround audio, while the original 'Planet of the Apes' also gets a BonusView (Profile 1.1) picture-in-picture track dubbed "Science of the Planet of the Apes," which explores the scientific background of the series. Additional exclusives include a new HD featurette for each film ("Evolution of the Apes," "Impact of the Apes," "The Secret Behind Escape," "Riots and Revolutions: Confronting the Times," "End of an Epic: The Final Battle"), the BD-Java interactive game "Beyond the Forbidden Zone," and a PSA from NASA.

Suggested list price for the Blu-ray set has been placed at $179.98.http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Fox/Disc_Announcements/Exclusives_Highlight_Planet_of_the_Apes_Blu-ray_Box_Set/1955

PSA from NASA? Sweet. The isolated score is the hugest item on there, right after the confirmation that they will have the cut footage from Conquest. (which come to think of it wasn't mentioned in the press release...)

X-human
09-18-2008, 02:18 AM
Not sure what the original source of this is:Disc 1: Planet of The Apes, The 40th Anniversary WS
**Commentary by Actors Roddy McDowall, Kim Hunter and Natalie Trundy, and Makeup Artist John Chambers
**Commentary by Composer Jerry Goldsmith
**Text Commentary by Eric Greene, Author of "Planet of the Apes as American Myth"
**BD- J Beyond the Forbidden Zone Adventure Game
**HD- Beyond the Forbidden Zone Game Pay-offs by the Ape Guide
**HD- A Public Service Announcement from ANSA
**HD- The Evolutin of the Apes
**HD- The Impact of the Apes
**Behind the Planet of the Apes Documentary

**THE ARCHIVES OF THE APES:
*Original Makeup Test with Edward G. Robinson (1966)
*Roddy McDowall's On-Set Footage
*Dailies and Outtakes (no audio)
*N.A.T.O Presentation (1967)
*Vintage Planer of the Apes Featurette (1968)
*Teaser Trailer
*Original Theatrical Trailer

**THE GALLERIES OF THE APES:
*The Ape Newspaper
*Interactive Pressbook
*Advertising
*Lobby Cards
*Makeup
*Costume Design Sketches
*Props
*Behind-the-Scenes

Disc 2: Beneath the Planet of the Apes WS
**HD- From Alpha to Omega: Building a Sequel
**SD- Original Theatrical Trailer
**"The Ape News" Gallery
**Interactive Pressbook
**Advertising Gallery
**Lobby Card Gallery
**Behind the Scenes Gallery
**Skippable Trailers
**Disc Introduction by the Ape Guide
**"Content Loading" ANSA Graphic
**D-Box Logo
**BD- Live Portal

Disc 3: Escape From the Planet of the Apes WS
**HD- The Secret Behind Escape
**SD- Don Taylor Directs ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE APES
**Advertising Gallery
**Behind-the-Scenes Gallery
**D-Box Logo
**TBD- Live Portal

Disc 4: Conquest of the Planet of the Apes WS
**HD- Riots and Revolutions: Confronting the Times
**SD- A Look Behind THE PLANET OF THE APES (1972)
**SD- J.Lee Thompson Directs CONQUEST OF THE PLANET OF THE APES
**FUTURE NEWS Gallery
**Interactive Pressbook
**Advertising Gallery
**Lobby Card Gallery
**Behind-the-Scenes Gallery
**Skippable Trailers
**SPLASH PAGE
**D-Box Logo
**BD- Live Portal

Disc 5: Battle for the Planet of the Apes WS
**HD- End of an Epic: The Final Battle
**SAN SIMIAN SENTINEL Gallery
**Interactive Pressbook
**Advertising Gallery
**Behind-the-Scene Gallery
**Farm Trailers
**Splash Page
**D-Box Logo
**BD- Live Portal

Reports are that they will also be individual releases.

dickieduvet
09-25-2008, 03:48 PM
I've got to have these on Blu-Ray. Will go for the individual releses though. The boxset looks feckin huge!!