PDA

View Full Version : Blu-ray player recomendations and questions

shithead
04-14-2008, 06:31 AM
I have a 37 inch LCD HDTV that goes to 720P, is it worth going Blu-ray?
If so i'm looking for one in the 400 to 500 dollar range can someone reccomend a good player? I also hear alot of this nonsense about some players being version 1.0 and eventually you'll have to upgrade??

Is There a Blu-Ray player that i can buy now and be assured that i won't have to go buy another one a year from now?

Thanks.

KR~!
04-14-2008, 11:34 AM
it's called BD Live, no current player has it, besides the PS3. They will be release very soon.

this video explains it quite well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqpkmNij8io

you do not need it to play movies, just to use its extra features.

geeare
04-14-2008, 12:37 PM
PS3 is the ultimate machine for the money. even if you are not a gamer it has soo much else to offer.

Ash28M
04-14-2008, 12:41 PM
I have a 37 inch LCD HDTV that goes to 720P, is it worth going Blu-ray?

Although it will look better, on a 37" 720p I doubt you would be able to tell much of difference in the picture as DVD, especially up-converted can handle that size of a screen pretty easily.

shithead
04-15-2008, 05:06 AM
Although it will look better, on a 37" 720p I doubt you would be able to tell much of difference in the picture as DVD, especially up-converted can handle that size of a screen pretty easily.

Yeah, i was thinking about getting an Oppo 980 Upconverting player, they're supposed to be the best upconverters out there and cost only $169.99.

Right now all i have is a regular dvd player hooked up to my HDTV using Component cables, would there be much of an improvement if i were to get an upconverter using HDMI?

Reverenddave
04-15-2008, 06:31 AM
If you're going to spend $170 bucks on an standard DVD player, you might as well go all the way and get a PS3 for $400. It's really a great machine that does so many cool things. Video chat, streaming videos/music/pics from your PC, download free movie trailers and game demos, etc. Even if you don't like playing video games, there's lots of other stuff to like about the PS3.

As far as your TV goes, I think you'll notice a difference. It probably won't be huge. You might miss out on some of the finer details you'd get with a larger 1080P screen. But I think you'll see that Blu-Ray provides a brighter and more vivid picture than standard DVD. At times the colors really pop off the screen. And you should see that even on a 37-inch 720P. And if you have an audio system, you might notice a difference there as well.

Zombie Dude
04-15-2008, 10:17 AM
Do the Bluray machines play multi-regions with normal dvd's?

spawningblue
04-17-2008, 03:06 AM
How do you get the full audio experience? I have a Surround System that's 7.1 I think, supports DTS, and has an extra speaker that I have never needed to use. Anyways, do you need a whole new set up, or can you just use your existing one to get the best audio out of Blu Ray? What would I be looking for? For DVD, it was pretty much just a surround system that supported DTS, what is set up for Blu Ray called?

Matt89
04-17-2008, 03:25 AM
Do the Bluray machines play multi-regions with normal dvd's?

Nope. They're not region-free, which kindof sucks.

And....I, too have decided to make the switch. (well, not switch, but I'm getting a new tv by the end of the month and I'm gonna get a Blu Ray player.)

I was at Best Buy today cuz I'm getting a 32" Sharp Aquous for my bedroom. 720p/1080i. It looks phenomenal. He said to get a standard Blu Ray player because the upconversion is so good you'll hardly be able to tell the difference between an upconverted DVD and a blu ray. Does a PS3 even upconvert? I've been told it doesn't.

Honestly....I saw the blu ray of Blade Runner and I was convinced. I'm definitely going high def, a thing I said I would never do...I'm gonna give in and do it. After having a tube tv all my life, high def will certainly make a total difference.

~Matt

Grim
04-17-2008, 03:36 AM
He said to get a standard Blu Ray player because the upconversion is so good you'll hardly be able to tell the difference between an upconverted DVD and a blu ray. Does a PS3 even upconvert? I've been told it doesn't.

What is the point of getting the blu-ray player if you're just going to up-convert? If that's the case just get an up-convert player. Maybe I'm just confused by what you meant when you said "standard" blu-ray player. And the PS3 does upconvert. It is currently what I use as both my blu-ray and dvd player and I have been quite pleased.

shithead
04-17-2008, 03:38 AM
yeah, i'll probably just end up getting a upconverter thats region free.

I don't want to spend 500 bucks on something i might not be able to tell much of a difference over, unless they come out with a Blu-Ray player that comes with a sexhole or something really out of this world...i'll be fine for now.

Grim
04-17-2008, 03:46 AM
I have a 32" 720p/1080i LCD and I have been able to tell a difference between nearly every hi-def disc I have bought and its upconverting counterpart. (28 Days Later being a notable exception. I think that has more to do with the way it was filmed, though.) In my opinion, upconversion holds no comparison to a true HD picture.

SaviniFan
04-17-2008, 03:52 AM
I have a 32" 720p/1080i LCD and I have been able to tell a difference between nearly every hi-def disc I have bought and its upconverting counterpart. (28 Days Later being a notable exception. I think that has more to do with the way it was filmed, though.) In my opinion, upconversion holds no comparison to a true HD picture.

Same here Grim. I have a 1080i 32" HDTV and a PS3. Upconverting does look great, but even on this size LCD you can see the difference when watching a Blu-ray.

Matt89
04-17-2008, 06:24 AM
What is the point of getting the blu-ray player if you're just going to up-convert? If that's the case just get an up-convert player. Maybe I'm just confused by what you meant when you said "standard" blu-ray player. And the PS3 does upconvert. It is currently what I use as both my blu-ray and dvd player and I have been quite pleased.

No no, I'm gonna get blu ray titles obviously lol. I just don't want to have to replace my entire DVD collection, and knowing that upconversion through a blu ray player looks amazing is comforting to know, that's all. I wouldn't buy a blu ray player if I wasn't going to buy blu ray titles.

~Matt

Zombie Dude
04-17-2008, 06:50 AM
Nope. They're not region-free, which kindof sucks.

~Matt
:( I hope they become region-free in the near future.

Reverenddave
04-17-2008, 07:01 AM
I was at Best Buy today cuz I'm getting a 32" Sharp Aquous for my bedroom. 720p/1080i. It looks phenomenal. He said to get a standard Blu Ray player because the upconversion is so good you'll hardly be able to tell the difference between an upconverted DVD and a blu ray. Does a PS3 even upconvert? I've been told it doesn't.

IMO, upconversion is WAY overrated, and doesn't hold a candle to true HD. When you get an HD Player, pick a good Blu-Ray movie and watch one chapter in HD. Then put in the Standard DVD disc and watch the same chapter in "upconverted" SD. You'll start upgrading all your Standard DVDs to Blu-Ray the next day.

But it doesn't surprise me that a Best Buy employee has no idea what he's talking about. Those blue shirt guys can be pretty useless.

Grim
04-17-2008, 04:03 PM
No no, I'm gonna get blu ray titles obviously lol. I just don't want to have to replace my entire DVD collection, and knowing that upconversion through a blu ray player looks amazing is comforting to know, that's all. I wouldn't buy a blu ray player if I wasn't going to buy blu ray titles.

~Matt

Okay that makes sense. And yes I wouldn't have went blu either if that rendered my entire collection obsolete. I know it's going to be some years before Class of Nuke'em High sees it's HD debut.