PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you non Blue Rayer's feel left out?

Horrorphilly
04-16-2008, 10:41 PM
What I mean is that,do you feel that were missing a good thing by not upgrading? I do admit they look great,when I saw them playing at Best Buy.There just so damn costly,players and the dvds.I havnt been collecting dvds for as long as some of you guys but I take pride in my collection,it took like 10 years and alot of money to earn.Now there is another format out that is better.I dont know if I'll ever upgrade,alot of the titles I have may never get the BR treatment.It also pisses me off that the BR players are not all region also.Sorry if this makes no sense and im still realing from the recent Howard the Duck news.I know that im bad at placing words,all my post seem to be all over.

Sean

hellraiser40
04-16-2008, 10:52 PM
nope, i'm not interested in updating to Blu-Ray at the moment

have to be honest that i haven't yet seen this in action, but i'm satisfied with DVD at the moment, there are still so many films that i want to see/own on DVD, no incentive for starting with Blu-Ray

BTW, i have been collecting DVD's for about 6 years know (must have over 1.200 movies on DVD) and i enjoy that they are mine and don't care that there is a format that's better. it's not the format that brings enjoyment, but what's on them

so don't feel bad about Blu-Ray, it's not worth breaking your head over

wago70
04-16-2008, 10:58 PM
No - don't see much need to upgrade just yet. Unless a brand new, sparkling version of FANGS OF THE LIVING DEAD, VAMPIRES NIGHT ORGY or ZEDER come out on Bluray, I won't be upgrading before 2009.

YottNik
04-16-2008, 11:04 PM
Don't feel left out at all. I'm sure I'll upgrade eventually, but it'll be years from now.

Horrorphilly
04-16-2008, 11:05 PM
I love my dvd's also.I just dont wanna keep collecting dvds and 3 years down the road,they become extinct.I know that is far fetched but you never know.

Sean

rp108
04-16-2008, 11:08 PM
Believe me, you are not missing much. There are no titles on the format and a majority of them are completley overpriced...can you say Independence Day for $29.99!?!?!

I am back to buying DVDs.

Darga
04-16-2008, 11:46 PM
Now that I have a 1080p HDTV I'm thinking about upgrading and getting a PS3. I'm not giving up on DVD by any means though- I just bought a new Oppo all-region upconverting player a couple weeks ago. I could use the PS3 to view Blu-Ray rentals from Netflix (I don't plan on buying them at the prices they're at now) plus I'll be able to play the new Grand Theft Auto. Seems very tempting....

KamuiX
04-16-2008, 11:55 PM
I've had an HDTV for almost two years now, and I didn't get a PS3 until about 6-7 months ago, and I never felt left out when I didn't have Blu-Ray capabilities. Nicely encoded DVD's look great upconverted, and were fine by me.

Now that I DO have the PS3 however, I love Blu-Ray. Any new films that come out that interest me, or any films I don't already own on DVD, I get on Blu-Ray. I'm definitely not going to go back and upgrade any films I already have on DVD to BR, becuase I feel it's a waste (unless it's some drastic improvement or kick-ass new edition, like Blade Runner).

It's sort of like once you really experience it, you'll wonder why you didn't jump in sooner. But if you haven't experienced it, I don't see why anyone would really feel like they're missing out. Having an upconverting DVD player with an HDTV is just fine until you really want to take the plunge.

ReelFear
04-17-2008, 12:39 AM
My strategy is to wait at least another year to jump into blu-ray. I already get MonstersHD, which looks great and keeps me entertained in HD. But i have 2,000+ DVDs and most of them i've only watched once. So the thought of re-buying all those on blu-ray again is insane. I went through that already with LaserDiscs. What i will do is wait until the movies i watch over and over, my all time favorites, start to hit blu-ray in proper versions. Even Halloween, which i watch every year, didn't get a stellar review upon its release. I'm sure another version will come out again in the future. For now my 2 DVD's and the MonstersHD broadcast is just fine for that Carpenter classic. When the Fulci, Argento, and Carpenter films start to hit blu-ray, I will selectively upgrade. By then the price, selection, and quality of Blu-ray players should be a bit more acceptable.

micrococcus
04-17-2008, 03:14 AM
I'm one of the early adopters of blu-ray because of its superb, flawless picture quality & sound. I bought my Sony VAIO FZ-18G notebook that comes with blu-ray drive about a year already. To date, I've owned close to 50 blu-ray titles (5 of them are the now dead HD-DVDs -well, I bought an X-Box HD-DVD add-on drive and plug in to my notebook :)

Now here comes my problem: Ever since I embraced blu-ray, I have no interest at all in standard DVDs and I'm planning to replace all my horror DVDs with blu-ray discs whenever the titles become available on blu.

Believe, go blu! U won't regret it. Trust me! Watching horror movies (e.g. the Hills Have Eyes II, Sunshine, Return to House on Haunted Hill, etc.) in blu-ray is a whole lot more exciting and scary!

KamuiX
04-17-2008, 03:20 AM
Watching horror movies (e.g. the Hills Have Eyes II, Return to House on Haunted Hill, etc.) in blu-ray is a whole lot more exciting and scary!

Scary bad? :p

X-human
04-17-2008, 03:21 AM
Blu-ray players upconvert SD-DVD's, there's no reason to look at it as the death of your collection but perhaps a rebirth. ;)

I think it's an excellent idea to wait, at least till Christmas 2008, for prices to come down and more titles to come out. But they will come out. BCI put out Night of the Werewolf / Vengeance of the Zombies double feature on Blu-ray and horror movies don't come much more obscure than Paul Naschy. It can be found for $19.99. I believe that's Best Buy's price for the SD double feature anyways.

Also DVD didn't have region free players the very first day, it took awhile. Blu-ray's copy protection has already been crack, it won't be long before rogue regionless players make it out there.

KR~!
04-17-2008, 03:28 AM
You should feel left out, once you go Blu, there is no going back and your DVDs will look better than ever as well, you can't go wrong!

Spitfire
04-17-2008, 03:28 AM
:glasses: Blu-Ray is awesome, however I still favor DVDs at the moment. There's way too many "exclusive" giallo's from Anchor Bay that are still not out on Blu-Ray. Also, DVD prices are way more affordable right now. So I think that upgrading is a must cause it's the future, but cause of the prices, getting a movie here and there is cool, and continue with DVDs as usual.

I currently own about 20 movies. And the upgrading difference is tremendous. Halloween, Dawn and Day of the Dead all look amazing on Blu-ray. The new titles also look jaw-droppingly gorgeous. I can only imagine a movie like Suspiria on it?

I also don't think that DVDs will ever die out, they are the most popular media in history. And we will always have backward compatibility in the future to keep DVDs alive.

So . . . upgrading now is a must, but doing so shouldn't keep you from regular dvd purchases.

onebyone
04-17-2008, 03:34 AM
Blu-Ray has been tempting me since I first saw a movie on it, as for whatever reason HD-DVD never looked that good to me. It was relatively easy not to upgrade when the "war" was going on because I didnt want to end up on the side of chump.

Now though, I am tempted all the time. Every time I go to the DVD store it beckons me. Snakes are slithering around and whispering to me at best buy, tempting me to a bite out of the forbidden blu apple. I even got a free Enchanted Blu disc with features that are not on my regular DVD just sitting there... begging to be played. It's evil I tell you.

I know the smart thing to do is wait for prices to drop and I am not at all interested in replacing my beloved DVDs, but *twitch* it's getting harder for me. I will continue to try and fight temptation for as long as I can.

_pi_
04-17-2008, 03:38 AM
I kind of feel left out, but I also know that unless I have a huge TV, BluRay won't look any better than regular DVDs. And it's going to be a long time until I can afford that kind of a TV :(

So I'll just keep on buying my DVDs ...

spawningblue
04-17-2008, 03:41 AM
There are certain titles that come out and make me wish I had Blu Ray player. They are really starting to push it by coming out with exclusive extras on Blu Ray discs, and some discs have amazing picture! But at the same time there are a LOT of sub par Blu Ray discs coming out, that have none of the already released extras, the unrated cuts, or the picture or sound quality just isn't what it could/ should be. As well, a lot of the extras aren't in hi-def, which isn''t a huge deal, but still worth mentioning as I bet later on that will be normal practice. It's really like the first year or two of DVD, where they seemed really good at the time, but most of them I ended up replacing with bigger better editions later on. So because of that, I think I will hold out until Blu Ray movies are done right, with every extra and cut available, as well as amazing picture and sound quality.

Examples of shitty Blu Ray discs:

Commando (None of the extra features from the Director's Cut DVD)
Spider-Man Trilogy (Only Part 3 has any extra features, Part 2 includes only the theatrical cut)
Halloween (Missing lots of extras/ Bad colouring)
Dawn of the Dead (Doesn't include everything from Ultimate Edition)
Army of Darkness (Missing Director's Cut/ extras)

ect. Those were just a few that I found without really looking too hard, I'm sure there are hundreds more. To me it just seems like a lot of half assed discs rushed out. I know you aren't buying Blu Ray discs for the extras, but you know all of these will be re-released done correctly, and why not have them done right in the first place. To me it just seems like the smart thing to hold out for a year or two until they actually start putting time in their releases. I definitely want to upgrade one day, and maybe if I have some extra money around I will pick up a PS3, but at the same time I am in no rush and don't feel left out at all. There are still lots of quality DVD releases coming out that aren't being released on Blu Ray, and for usually half the price. That and there are so many places to get used DVDs as well.

_pi_
04-17-2008, 03:47 AM
Now though, I am tempted all the time. Every time I go to the DVD store it beckons me. Snakes are slithering around and whispering to me at best buy, tempting me to a bite out of the forbidden blu apple.

Oooh, I couldn't agree more. All these new movies coming out ... I can't help but think that it'd be a wiser investment buying them in blu ...

However, one thing that puts me off are the endless problems, like you can't play certain titles unless you download some upgrades and stuff. I don't want to do that - I want my player to play everything, with no fuzz whatsoever!

othervoice1
04-17-2008, 04:10 AM
Spider-Man Trilogy (Only Part 3 has any extra features, Part 2 includes only the theatrical cut)

That is not true - I own this and Part 2 has both the theatrical and the 2.1 extended cut- You are right on the special features though as part 3 is the only one with any significant extra features- spiderman one looks very good, part 2 looks very very good and part 3 is demo material for your friends

Shock Waves
04-17-2008, 04:32 AM
Hell, I don't feel left out. I'm still scooping up VHS tapes!
If money was no object....maybe a different story.

rxfiend
04-17-2008, 07:37 AM
I don't feel left out by BR, but I do on the HD front. My parents have a HD tv and HD DirecTV, and when I go to their house, the HD channels are amazing! The other day, MGMHD had on the Sleepaway Camp sequels, plus there was some other horror lined up. BR can wait, but I need a HD tv soon! :)

fattyjoe37
04-17-2008, 09:39 AM
I only feel left out when it comes to one title, The Road Warrior. That's the only Blu-Ray I can think of that has exclusive bonus features that aren't on regular DVD. I'm a big fan of that movie, but won't be upgrading just to hear a commentary. It still does bug me sometimes though that I haven't heard it...

allmessedup
04-17-2008, 09:57 AM
I'll probably upgrade in a few years, but I'm not in any hurry to do so. My collection is skewed toward older releases, and it sounds like so far there aren't a ton of Blu-ray releases of older films. At this point I think I just wouldn't find a lot out there to interest me.

Reverenddave
04-17-2008, 10:06 AM
I'm glad I got into HD when I did. Back when the format war was going strong, they were giving out discs by the truckload. With all the awesome deals like Buy 1 Get 1 Free and getting 8 free discs when you buy a player, it was a no-brainer. Due to all those great bargains, I've got a great HD collection with about 400 movies. But now that all the good sales and promotions have dried up, it can be pretty expensive for those starting to build a new collection.

Rockmjd
04-17-2008, 12:04 PM
From a horror standpoint, there isn't a ton available yet.

Horrorphilly
04-17-2008, 04:24 PM
Now that I have a 1080p HDTV I'm thinking about upgrading and getting a PS3. I'm not giving up on DVD by any means though- I just bought a new Oppo all-region upconverting player a couple weeks ago. I could use the PS3 to view Blu-Ray rentals from Netflix (I don't plan on buying them at the prices they're at now) plus I'll be able to play the new Grand Theft Auto. Seems very tempting....

What model OPPO did you buy? Im thinking of getting one.My girl got me a all region Sharp dvd player for xmas and it doesnt play some dvds and that pisses me off.Have you tested alot of dvds on your OPPO yet?

Sean

DrHerbertWest
04-17-2008, 05:45 PM
I agree with spawningblue. The two main reasons I haven't tried to upgrade is the cost and the lack of features compared to DVD. Why am I going to pay $30 for a Blu Ray disc that has "Chapter Select" as a bonus feature? I'm not. I'll stick to my DVDs.

Ash28M
04-17-2008, 06:28 PM
Examples of shitty Blu Ray discs:
Halloween (Missing lots of extras/ Bad colouring)

I'm going to have to disagree with your on Halloween. I have it and the picture kills the DVD. The Colour timing may not be the exact same according to reports but I didn't even notice.

eric_angelus
04-17-2008, 07:20 PM
I'm going to have to disagree with your on Halloween. I have it and the picture kills the DVD. The Colour timing may not be the exact same according to reports but I didn't even notice.

Agreed...this disc gets slammed all the time for no reason. It looks great...has the benefit of the uncompressed sound...plus it has the commentary track and the documentary from the Divimax disc. Also as I have said here before...there is no need to pay alot for this release. If you know where to look you can grab it for $15 or less.

bwana the clown
04-17-2008, 10:52 PM
I'll buy into blu-ray when affordable, multi-region players are readily available and there are at least ten titles that I'd actually want to buy.

uradouche
04-18-2008, 02:30 AM
I'm thinking that I'm gonna upgrade my TV before 09 to HD, then I might consider Blue Ray. I own approx 1,000 dvds, so I'm not letting go anytime soon. As long as Blue Ray players are backwards compatible, I'll be okay. I'm actually thinking of dumping a lot of common titles like mainstream stuff and horror now, simply because I need the cash right now, and before the bottom totally falls out of DVD used sales. I'll hold on to my oops, cult, foreign and obsure stuff forever, though. Hell, I'll buy like 20 dvd players and stockpile if I have to.

I think it's important to keep an eye on the Blue-ray market. The future to me seems not to lie in discs, but on hard drives and streaming networks. Hell, all the music I own is now on a hard drive - why not my movies someday soon? With drives getting bigger, chips faster and pipelines faster 0 I think it makes sense that all disk formats will eventually fade away - so don't sink all your money into any disc format just yet!

_pi_
04-18-2008, 03:27 AM
I think it's important to keep an eye on the Blue-ray market. The future to me seems not to lie in discs, but on hard drives and streaming networks. Hell, all the music I own is now on a hard drive - why not my movies someday soon? With drives getting bigger, chips faster and pipelines faster 0 I think it makes sense that all disk formats will eventually fade away - so don't sink all your money into any disc format just yet!

Yup, that's the gist of what Steve Jobs was saying a few months ago: discs are going out and drives are coming in.

Personally, I'd rather have a house full of DVDs and CDs than a hard drive full of them. I like to see and touch my property (how pervy, huh?), but I can't deny that the market is quickly heading towards streaming media and hard drive storage! :(

spawningblue
04-18-2008, 06:17 AM
Agreed...this disc gets slammed all the time for no reason. It looks great...has the benefit of the uncompressed sound...plus it has the commentary track and the documentary from the Divimax disc. Also as I have said here before...there is no need to pay alot for this release. If you know where to look you can grab it for $15 or less.

Still can't replace both Anchor bay DVDs, and that to me is the main problem I have with Blu Ray. When I first starting hearing mention of it, a lot was mentioned how it held so much space, and you could fit a whole season on one disc. The thing they didn't take into consideration is the fact that the audio and video would take up a lot more space, that and companies can't charge as much if it's on one disc.

I was hoping when Blu Ray's came out, with all their extra space, that they would be able to take every cut of a movie, and all the extras from all the previous DVDs, and place it all in one package. I want to see a Halloween disc with the theatrical and Television cut and all the previous extras together, instead we just get a re-release of the Divimax DVD. It's just laziness on studios parts, that and the need to rush them out and get Blu Ray noticeable as soon as possible. I want to see that shitty featurette that was on the DVDs first release (Predator 2 for example), but left off the special edition because of lack of room from all the new content. Just for completest sake, why not!? It would be nice to buy a Blu Ray disc (And how it honestly should be!), and be able to sell my old DVDs without thinking twice, but that's not the case. Yes, if I buy Halloween or Dawn of the Dead I get new nicer video and audio, but I still have to keep my Ultimate Edition Dawn and my two disc Halloween DVD. Obviously there are some cases where this would not be possible, company sells off movie rights or whatever, but most of the time it would work. And why not include all that stuff on the store exclusive bonus discs that came out as well. Have the X-Men disc (Another random example) include the featurette that was on the Wal Mart bonus disc, or the making of on the best Buy disc.

I think a lot of people are just amazed at the new picture that they are willing to jump in, even though they are really getting half assed discs. I don't understand how I am the only one seeing this. I want to jump in as much as the next guy, but I also don't want to half to re buy the movie on Blu Ray, only to re buy it again on Blu Ray done right, when I've already re bought it once or twice on DVD. All the extras are already out there, just take them all and put them together with the nicer video and audio.

Don't get me wrong, I believe the picture and audio is that much better, but why is no love going towards the extras on the discs. Shouldn't the new format be better then DVD in every way, not just in video and audio.

I think if you are just buying new movies, then it's not too bad, as recently they have been pushing Blu ray with extra exclusive content over the DVDs. But the older movies getting released are getting rushed out, and then sucks considering the best horror moves are older films.

Sorry about the multi paragraph rant, it just really frustrates me as I want to jump into Blu Ray too, but I'm going to wait until they get all this rushed out movies out of their system. DVD was the same way, so I'm going in prepared this time. And if you have the money to waste, then buy all means, enjoy! I am jealous! And don't take this as me calling anyone stupid for for jumping in, I just personally think right now it's better to hold out.

Does anyone else feel that Blu ray moves are getting rushed out? That they should be a lot better then they are if they want to take over DVD. Video is a huge thing, but shouldn't the whole package count?

Reverenddave
04-18-2008, 07:44 AM
I think one of the big problems is that people have some unrealistic expectations of the next gen. As though a Blu-Ray machine will be the last movie player they'll ever have to buy. Or that a Blu-Ray disc should be the ultimate edition. The truth is, with movie collecting there's no finish line.

I've gone through probably 7-8 DVD players. And there are at least a 100+ DVDs I've upgraded over the years. DVD is already 10 years old, and there are only a handful of true "ultimate editions". And Blu-Ray isn't going to be any different.

It reminds me of people that never update their PC, because they're always waiting for that new processor and the latest video card. Technology constantly moves forward. There's always going to be a better Blu-Ray Player coming out, or a disc with improved picture quality and new special features.

And looking back, I'm glad I didn't stick with VHS and wait around for DVD to perfect itself. I got into DVD early with a crappy $300 region-locked player that couldn't handle seamless-branching and a bunch a lousy non-anamorphic featureless discs. And I loved every minute of it.

I agree that there's much room for improvement. I don't like featureless $30 discs, or special features in SD. We also need to see more output from indie companies. There should be lower prices on catalog titles. And players need to drop around the $300 level.

I'm not going to sit on the sidelines. I'm done spending tons of money on last gen stuff. I'll still pick up a few SD titles from time to time. But I'm happy investing the bulk of my movie collection cash on the future.

KR~!
04-18-2008, 01:00 PM
next gen computer tech is release every 6 months like clockwork. Yet some people do in fact get stuck with 6 year old pcs are finally die and they loose everything.

A lot of those blu-ray disc were release when the war was still going and there wasn't any reason for studios to go all out and sped tons of money on their releases.

That said there are Blu-Ray discs which can be called "ultimate editions", for Horror films, IMHO that would be The Fly.

read the review here: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?id=309&show=review

it has TONS and TONS of extras and it's all on one disc.

geeare
04-18-2008, 01:21 PM
in my eyes you should feel left out. but at the same time you don't know any different because you don't see the difference. I can see the difference and it's HUGE. unfortunately like micococcus pointed out I don't feel like watching any of my 900+ DVD's, haha. That might be a little bit of a lie but I will be replacing my favourite Horror DVD's as they come available. I have already replaced a few and the difference is outstanding even with the poor PQ blus. I have seen reviews where they give the PQ a rating of 2/5 on Blu but it still looks alot better than the DVD (and yes, this includes the up-converted DVD's).

Myron Breck
04-19-2008, 03:51 AM
I think a lot of people are just amazed at the new picture that they are willing to jump in, even though they are really getting half assed discs. I don't understand how I am the only one seeing this. I want to jump in as much as the next guy, but I also don't want to half to re buy the movie on Blu Ray, only to re buy it again on Blu Ray done right, when I've already re bought it once or twice on DVD. All the extras are already out there, just take them all and put them together with the nicer video and audio.

You are not alone, my friend. I have been totally unimpressed with the releases so far; but I think you're right, they're just trying to get the discs out there before they blow coin on making them truly special. I will wait until they start double-/triple-releasing my favorite films before I start my spending. I learned my lesson last time around with DVD. :)

Choptop
04-19-2008, 06:21 AM
Do I feel left out? Nope.

Sam
04-19-2008, 06:20 PM
I'm sure a lot do. I was in Sam's yesterday and the cheapest player was $377. Still too steep for most pockets. I was "red-only" until getting a PS3 but now I'm loving it. No stores in this city are still carrying HD DVDs.

dwatts
04-19-2008, 06:26 PM
I think a lot of people are just amazed at the new picture that they are willing to jump in, even though they are really getting half assed discs.

But it's the quality of the transfer that is paramount - not the bells and whistles. If you're investing money in a home version of something, then you deserve the best version possible, imo.

Yes, some of the releases have been underwhelming extras wise, and yes that's disapointing. But the film is what matters, and if the rpice is half-decent, it's a worthy upgrade most times.

Hell - we double-dip on SD often enough.....

maskull
04-19-2008, 06:40 PM
I can't even afford a decent tv so there's not too much point in upgrading. I'll wait a couple of years till things are a little more inexpensive and then I'll jump in. I do occasionally wish I could afford this stuff, but I can't so I'm pretty sure I can live with it until I can.

Reverenddave
04-19-2008, 11:13 PM
Usually if you see an overpriced featureless Blu-Ray it's coming from Fox. They have an excellent catalog of titles. But unfortunately, Fox continues to be a festering wart on the smelly ass of the Blu-Ray industry.

The other studios have been pretty good with adding special features and keeping the prices reasonable. Some Blu-Ray discs truly outshine their SD counterparts in all aspects.

My biggest gripe about Blu-Ray extras has been that many of them are still in SD. I don't know if that's a disc-space issue, or they just don't want to pay for a new HD transfer.

I think the truth is that studios have learned their lesson from DVD. Why sell a movie just once, when you can sell it 3-4 times. That's the way it's been with DVD, and it's not going to change with HD.

But in the end, I don't really care about extras. I've never once upgraded a movie for the extras (in DVD or HD). For me, it's all about the film itself. If a movie has better picture/audio, then I'll upgrade.

Livingdead102
04-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Occasionally I get the urge to jump to HD, but it's usually just for gaming. I'm sure if I had a great high-def setup I would be glad that I did, but you can count me in as one of those "what I've got is good enough" troglodytes. I just don't have time to watch more than one or two movies a week, and I have other hobbies and obligations that are a better use of my money. Sooner or later the temptation will be too much to resist, but right now, I don't feel left out at all.

indiephantom
04-21-2008, 05:10 PM
I was someone who went into LD early, and enjoyed having the best format around until I switched to DVD early in 1999. I don't feel like being the early one this time. I don't have an HD capable TV (or computer) yet, so there's no rush.

Plus, the titles on Blu-Ray currently suck ass. In a couple of years maybe, but this isn't the time. I might actually wait for the inevitable next gen...but I think I will ride DVD out. Christ, it hasn't even been 10 years.

spawningblue
04-21-2008, 07:07 PM
I have to admit, all this talk is sucking me in, and I actually thought about throwing one on my credit card the other day, but smartened up and decided I would wait. My roommate is planning on picking up a PS3 sometime, so I think I can survive until then.

If I get one I will probably not run out and buy the rushed out discs like Dawn or Halloween, even if they are some of my favourite films. But I wouldn't mine picking up a few of the newer titles like Juno or Sweeney Todd that are exactly the same as their DVD counterparts, plus the better video and audio. That and I would like to grab a Blu Ray player before I pick up the Blade Runner case, as the prices are pretty close, and it would save me from trying to hunt one of those down later on.

dwatts
04-21-2008, 07:10 PM
I was someone who went into LD early, and enjoyed having the best format around until I switched to DVD early in 1999. I don't feel like being the early one this time. I don't have an HD capable TV (or computer) yet, so there's no rush.

Plus, the titles on Blu-Ray currently suck ass. In a couple of years maybe, but this isn't the time. I might actually wait for the inevitable next gen...but I think I will ride DVD out. Christ, it hasn't even been 10 years.

Next gen will be downloads. I really think media as we enjoy today will be be done for movies post-BR.

maskull
05-04-2008, 05:55 PM
OK now I'm feeling left out. BR Tale Of Two Sisters and Firefly complete series with new commentaries are making me wish I could afford to jump on board!!!

Shannafey
05-05-2008, 04:53 PM
Not interested in paying $400 for a player and more money for movies. My upconverted DVDs who phenomenal on my 47" TV!

KR~!
05-05-2008, 06:59 PM
Next gen will be downloads. I really think media as we enjoy today will be be done for movies post-BR.

It's going to be awesome when stories of hard drives crashes and people losing their entire collection of films start getting posted on-line.

Not to mention the thousands and thousands of dollars of computer equipment needed to run a home movie server, the high monthly price of high end fast Internet (a few hundred a month).

People will be begging for "cheap" Blu-Ray players and real media!

Reverenddave
05-05-2008, 07:28 PM
Not to mention the thousands and thousands of dollars of computer equipment needed to run a home movie server, the high monthly price of high end fast Internet (a few hundred a month).

Actually, you don't need to spend thousands on computer equipment or hundreds on internet service. You can download HD movies on Xbox 360 with a standard broadband connection. And I think it's only a matter of time before the PS3 adds movie downloads.

The 5/08 issue of Maximum PC had a great article on movie download services. You can read it here:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/the_ultimate_guide_to_movie_download_services

They gave Vudu a pretty good review. The box is only $300, and movies are $10-$20 to own, which makes it cheaper than blu-ray. The HD films aren't quite blu-ray quality yet. But I figure it's only a matter of time.

X-human
05-05-2008, 08:39 PM
I think digital downloads are very practical today, I watch movies in HD on my media server quite frequently thanks in part to my PS3. The main hook up I think is the general public. There probably isn't much faith in its support. "How long is Vudu going to be around? Will I need to be a difference service in two years or not have it at all?" There's too many unanswered questions for a service that's already being provided in many others ways.

The easiest solution is cable/satellite providing the service. I have OnDemand with Comcast and it does the job. It already comes with digital/HD cable and prices start as low as $1.99 to 'rent' I believe. I'm a cheap bastard and only look at the free stuff, and yes there's plenty of that too. The main advantage of course is that receivers are already in people's homes. Much like the PS3 it's the perfect Trojan horse.

Still, I prefer the higher quality of Blu-ray and don't see myself depending on HD OnDemand until they consistently equal or out perform Blu-ray.

Reverenddave
05-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Here's another interesting HD download service called XStreamHD coming later this year. Instead of a high-speed internet connection, it uses a satellite dish similar to DirecTV. They promise full 1080p blu-ray quality video and DTS-HD audio.

Sounds kinda interesting. Like a Tivo, it'll download some movies in advance based on your preferences, so they'll be ready to watch. It's also got ATSC tuners so you can record local HD broadcasts.

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-13855_1-9844779-67.html

eaglebauer
05-06-2008, 05:58 AM
Dont waste your money on Blue Ray, it will be a dead product in the next 5 years when all movies will go to usb flashdrives!!!!!!!!!

Reverenddave
05-06-2008, 12:10 PM
You can download HD movies on Xbox 360 with a standard broadband connection. And I think it's only a matter of time before the PS3 adds movie downloads.

A few hours after I wrote this, I got an email from Playstation asking me to take a survey about movie downloads. They asked questions like how important is HD downloads and whether you'd prefer to rent or own the downloads.

I'd be really surprised if movie downloads weren't added to the PSN Store in the next couple months.

Shannafey
05-06-2008, 02:31 PM
It's going to be awesome when stories of hard drives crashes and people losing their entire collection of films start getting posted on-line.

This is the reason I still want it saved on some type of media. When I download DIVX files, I always archive them to DVD-R for "permanent storage". I don't trust hard drives!

Grim
05-07-2008, 02:36 PM
I don't like the idea of having to order a movie everytime I want to watch it. My friends and I were talking about what would be the next medium and we all thought it would be cool if they started putting the movies on flash drives. You could still have a collection to show off but it'd be uber tiny and wouldnt take up a lot of space.

KR~!
05-07-2008, 11:15 PM
Well, I am "old school" I guess, since I still buy CDs (grasp!) and DVDs and Blu-Ray discs (EEP!).

P.S. flash drives go bad all the time as well.

_pi_
05-08-2008, 02:43 AM
Criterion is going BluRay (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36661)

It feels like I should upgrade .. but I still need a big ass TV and some reassurance that my player will work with EVERY title without some stupid firmware/software/wareware upgrades ...

horrorlover
05-08-2008, 02:58 AM
I just placed an order for some Chinese movies in VCD format, so no I don't feel left out by not having blue ray. I never placed that much importance on a perfect transfer, I was one of thsoe who thought VHS was good enough, I'm like whatever is cheapest ;) I didn't upgrade my vhs to dvd either, so I definitely wouldn't be updating my dvd to Blueray.

Reverenddave
05-08-2008, 04:57 AM
My friends and I were talking about what would be the next medium and we all thought it would be cool if they started putting the movies on flash drives. You could still have a collection to show off but it'd be uber tiny and wouldnt take up a lot of space.

Flash drives would be cool. For physical media, I'd like to see flash cards. They've already got cards that go up to 32GB, which is enough for HD. They're so tiny you could carry a dozen movies in your wallet.

Vlachio
05-08-2008, 09:52 AM
I just placed an order for some Chinese movies in VCD format, so no I don't feel left out by not having blue ray. I never placed that much importance on a perfect transfer, I was one of thsoe who thought VHS was good enough, I'm like whatever is cheapest ;) I didn't upgrade my vhs to dvd either, so I definitely wouldn't be updating my dvd to Blueray.

I tend to have the same mindset as you. I'm one of the few that loves the VCD format. The only stuff I want with perfect transfers is the Italian films. Beyond that I don't really give other films as much importance.

indiephantom
08-02-2008, 10:29 AM
looks like I didn't realize it in April, but I've gone blu and IT IS ASTOUNDING. Makes me look forward to new releases again...remember that feeling in the early days of DVD.

Take the plunge and get that feeling back.

SEANVALEN
08-03-2008, 09:14 PM
I will get blue ray when I think the costs justify it, but I am happy with alot of dvds that I can upscale, but alot of new films like The Dark Knight, Iron Man, I will want to watch on best presentations later.

I want to get a projector, good one, don't need to be best, but big enough to appreciate the extra details of Blueray. I would of rather hd-dvd had won, but that's the perils of our entertainmemt business.

The Chaostar
08-03-2008, 09:20 PM
I get BR when I can get them cheap. Amazon has some great choices from time to time. However, I will not buy a BR player until there's a REASONABLY PRICED REGION-FREE out there. And that will take some time, I think.

bigdaddyhorse
08-03-2008, 09:26 PM
I get BR when I can get them cheap. Amazon has some great choices from time to time. However, I will not buy a BR player until there's a REASONABLY PRICED REGION-FREE out there. And that will take some time, I think.

I feel the same way.
I've seen some BR discs have a couple extra extras, but most catalog releases are barebones while they all have sweet SE standard dvds. Plus I'm not paying $30+ per movie, fuck you very much.

I will be going Hd soon, so we'll see how that plays on my decision. I'll probably be way more tempted but think I can hold off. "Give me strength Lord:.:)

othervoice1
08-03-2008, 09:40 PM
The majority of my blu-ray movies I have I only paid 8-15 bucks for - various sales and specials are out there to get most titles at a reasonable price- right now im keeping my blu-ray collection somewhat small - heck they are already starting to double dip on releases.... Right now I am eagerly awaiting Kill Bill on Blu Ray which is coming sometime in the next couple months

Matt89
08-03-2008, 11:10 PM
I just went blu-ray a couple weeks ago and honestly...I'm REALLY glad I did. With titles like Carrie coming out on blu-ray (the movie hasn't been remastered in probably 15 years, seeing as how they used the same print on the DVD release as the laserdisc.) but yeah with movies being re-released on blu-ray of DVDs that are now 7 or 8 years old, yeah the difference is staggering. It's like night and day. Got Halloween on blu ray, compared it to the Limited Edition from '99....there's no comparison. The DVD is LITTERED with digital artifacts. It's disgusting. Some DVDs do look quite good. (Most Paramount and Criterion titles upconvert very well. Many recent (past 4 years or so) Warner releases look amazing when upscaled. Rebel Without a Cause is a prime example, as is Poltergeist.) I'm very happy that I went blu ray. I have absolutely no regrets.

~Matt