PDA

View Full Version : Do any Blu-Ray owners regret their purchase?

Reverenddave
04-21-2008, 09:59 AM
Here's a companion piece to a recent thread (http://horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=36305).

Do any of you current Blu-Ray owners regret spending money on Blu-Ray? Does Blu-Ray not live up to your expectations? Do you wish you wanted until sometime in the future? Maybe held out until a point when prices were lower, discs had more special features or players were region-free? If you could return your player and movies today for store credit towards standard DVDs, would you do it?

Personally, I'm happy with my investment. But I'm wondering if many other Blu-Ray owners feel the same.

On a side note, are there any Blu-Ray titles you regret buying? Discs that weren't worth the upgrade? Any that you'd like to return or maybe exchange for the SD version?

X-human
04-21-2008, 10:30 AM
No, not at all. I bought a PS3 which at the time I was confident would upgrade to 2.0 (which is did). It's also the 60 gig which has the PS2 chip inside, instead of using emulation like the 80/40 gigs do now. So actually if I had waited I would own an inferior PS3 model.

I don't regret any purchases per say but admit I bought a title or two early on that I wouldn't have if I had a wider selection to choose from. Also sales were fast and furious during the war, so not only did I rarely spend over $18 per title I often spent LESS than $10. As an early adopter I feel well taken care of; my Amazon discount is still working!

As things stand now I own every Blu-ray I consider worth owning, some 120 titles. Yet there's not much on the horizon I want, but I'm not going to complain about not having something to spend money on.

With that said, I understand hesitation. The longer someone waits, the cheaper prices will get, the better the hardware will be and the wider the selection of titles. Can't really argue with that.

dwatts
04-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Like X-Human, I have no regrets.

The fact that I bought a PS3 is a big part of that. Sure it's a Blu-Ray player, but it's also a gaming machine (and I pretend that I don't do much gaming, but I spend far too much time on FIFA 08), and a good machine for streaming media too. The Blu-Ray is an aside.

Now to the downside - just to be fair. The PS3 is region-coded for SD, and that's a disaster. I hate it. It prevents me from ridding myself of a DVD player, which really is not on.

BR discs still cost far too much. In the UK you can easily pay $50 for a movie, and I'm sorry - I'm totally convinced by the quality jump and its value to the movie lover - but at that price point it's too much.

The truth is - my purchases of SD has not diminshed since I bought into BR. I have four BR movies, and I bought them soon after buying the player. I've bought none since, but I keep ordering SD titles. It's all down to cost, not quality. I simply won't pay, literally, five times more a BR version. I'll buy cheap now and upgrade later once prices have settled down.

The PS3 is a wonderfully piece of kit, the region-coding really knocks it down a peg or two though. But regret BR? No.

Reverenddave
04-21-2008, 12:31 PM
BR discs still cost far too much. In the UK you can easily pay $50 for a movie, and I'm sorry - I'm totally convinced by the quality jump and its value to the movie lover - but at that price point it's too much.

Have you checked out US Blu-Rays? Many of them are region free. And with the US Dollar tanking, you can probably get an excellent exchange rate. I'd love to buy more UK exclusive Blu-Rays, but with the current exchange rate it's just too expensive.

Here's a list of region coded Blu-Rays:

http://bluray.liesinc.net/

dwatts
04-21-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks man, I'll check it out. You're right, the dollar to pound exchange is good for me right now.

Am I allowed to say that I'm shocked when I read a statement like X-Human made: "As things stand now I own every Blu-ray I consider worth owning, some 120 titles". Personally I think I'd be hard pressed to find 20 titles I really want. His interests must be far broader than my own. Bravo!

geeare
04-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Do any of you current Blu-Ray owners regret spending money on Blu-Ray?
no

Does Blu-Ray not live up to your expectations?
no

Do you wish you wanted until sometime in the future?
no

Maybe held out until a point when prices were lower, discs had more special features or players were region-free?
no

If you could return your player and movies today for store credit towards standard DVDs, would you do it?
no

On a side note, are there any Blu-Ray titles you regret buying?
no

Discs that weren't worth the upgrade?
no

Any that you'd like to return or maybe exchange for the SD version?
no

Reverenddave
04-21-2008, 02:12 PM
Am I allowed to say that I'm shocked when I read a statement like X-Human made: "As things stand now I own every Blu-ray I consider worth owning, some 120 titles". Personally I think I'd be hard pressed to find 20 titles I really want. His interests must be far broader than my own. Bravo!

I own 250+ Blu-Rays. I'm not sure they're all worth owning. But I wouldn't trade a single one for the standard DVD version.

dwatts
04-21-2008, 02:29 PM
Kudos mate. I'm impressed. God knows there aren't that many titles I could possibly want at the moment. Once the Hammers start rolling around, the Universal horrors etc. - then I'll be in serious trouble....

Along with the Cronenbergs... Argentos..... Fulcis... a stack of Giallo....

KR~!
04-21-2008, 03:06 PM
I believe those numbers since there are 100's and 100's of Blu-Ray discs.

full list here: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/

ekent
04-21-2008, 04:16 PM
Slightly off topic but for some reason I have been fantasizing about snagging all of the Fulci titles once they become available on Bluray.

Also, question for those who have a PS3. Does PS3 have a 24p out?

eric_angelus
04-21-2008, 06:45 PM
No regrets at all. The only thing I wish is that I had snagged more of the Paramount discs before they went out of print.

geeare
04-21-2008, 07:10 PM
No regrets at all. The only thing I wish is that I had snagged more of the Paramount discs before they went out of print.

They will be back.

Kolpitz
04-21-2008, 07:15 PM
I have no regrets whatsoever. I love my Blu-ray player and it's really brought back my zest for collecting. Although, I never really stopped buying DVDs, I found myself just going through the motions. There was no passion anymore but that all changed when I went Blu. I stopped getting excited when titles were announced for DVD. When Blu-rays are announced, I get excited again. Now, I'll sometimes spend hours looking for deals on-line, and I'm definitely spending more time looking in the stores too. Everywhere I go, if they carry Blu-ray, I'm looking it over. The only Blu-ray I regret buying is Unbreakable. I love the movie but the BD isn't that much improved over the DVD. Usually, I'll wait for DVD Talk or DVD Town to review a BD before I buy it (unless it's a day and date release) but I took Harry Knowles's word on it (he said the 1080p transfer was amazing). Anyway, it's not WORSE than the SD. I think it's that the movie is just a soft shot movie. It didn't look great on DVD and it doesn't look great on BD either. Oh well, you win some, you lose some. I currently own about 45 BDs and I only see that number getting much larger by year's end (especially with Universal's releases hitting mid-summer). I initially told myself that I wouldn't replace any of my DVDs but then I changed that to only 5-star movies. I've since widened the parameters even more. In the beginning, however, I swore off DVD almost completely. I've since found myself buying more and more DVDs, but never have I chosen the DVD over the BD because of price. Price is no obstacle when it comes to quality.

Rocker10
04-22-2008, 02:44 AM
No regrets at all. Have myself set up with all of the audio schemes such as DTS-MA and the such. I have actually stopped buying DVD movies altogether, but still buy quite a bit on TV DVD.

X-human
04-22-2008, 04:05 AM

Well sales really helped, with Amazon's B1G1 free sales I was paying an average of $8.05 a Blu-ray DVD. But I'd be hard pressed to think of 250 Blu-ray titles I'd want, that's more than twice what I already have. The well ran pretty dry for me, by December there was nothing left interesting for me to buy.

I'd been holding off on buying SD DVDs of mainstream Hollywood movies for a long time... Infact since about 1999/2000. That was when Blu-ray was first announced, as George Lucas was even talking about not releasing anything on SD DVD and waiting for that. That's why Phantom Menace was first released on LD and the DVD came some time later.

So I waited too, otherwise I knew I'd be in the position to want to buy these movies again. So there are few double dips at this point, half of my double dips alone are Kubrick's and BCI releases; who knew Brentwood, a grey market outfit, would jump on Blu-ray?