PDA

View Full Version : Do any HD-DVD owners regret their purchase?

Reverenddave
04-21-2008, 10:42 AM
Here's the third, and perhaps most interesting, of the HD threads (Blu-Ray Owners (http://horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=36328) and Non-Blu-Ray Owners (http://horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=36305)).

Do any of you HD-DVD owners regret spending money on HD-DVD? Do you wish you waited out the format war? If you could return your HD-DVD player and movies towards credit for Blu-Rays or standard DVDs, would you do it?

I'm torn on this. I'm happy with my two HD-DVD players, and one has a 4-year warranty, so it should last a while. I made out like a bandit on the Amazon refunds (http://horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=36271). And by getting in to the HD game while the forwat war was going strong, I got tons of discs in both formats at great prices.

I've kept about 100 HD-DVD discs that aren't available on Blu-Ray. But I've also been selling off many HD-DVDs and buying the Blu-Ray versions. Luckily the resale value has held-up pretty well.

In the end, I'm happy that I got HD-DVD. I've really been enjoying some great HD-DVD movies over the past year. I'm a bit disappointed in spending so much on a dead format. But since many of my favorite HD-DVD movies still aren't available on Blu-Ray, I wouldn't trade them in.

shaggy
04-22-2008, 03:45 AM
I have no regrets whatsoever. When I bought my first HD-DVD player I made the decision based on the quality of several titles I wanted. Anytime I buy hardware, I decide if the price of hardware is worth the software currently available. I never consider the future. Now that the format is dead, I'm enjoying it more. The Toshiba players are amazing quality for both HD and Standard DVDs and I have added another 30 titles to my collection for between $5 - $8. I did he same with laserdiscs. I didn't own a single disc or player until the format died, now I have over 1000 laserdiscs. Many of those aren't available on DVD or have inferior extras. It amazes that people dump their players and movies just because its no longer being made, that is not the case with videogames. It's too bad HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray was set up from the beginning as a replay of VHS vs. beta, because the competition was good for the consumer. It drove prices down and quality up, just look at the new blu ray models coming out, the prices are the same if not higher.

Grim
05-01-2008, 05:00 PM
I don't regret it either. I knew full well going into buying HD-DVD that the format could flop, but the 360 add-on was a no-brainer for me at the time and I got to see classics like The Thing and American Werewolf in London in HD. When I heard Anchor Bay was going blu, that's when I bought a PS3. I've got about 13 HD-DVD's and about 50 blu-rays, so maybe somewhere down the road I'll buy the blu-ray versions so I can have them all on one format, but as of right now, I'm content.

soxfan666
05-09-2008, 12:45 AM
I just received my 5 free HD-DVD's in the mail. I bought the xbox 360 add on when they hit the clearence shelf. The funny thing is that I did not get any of the 5 I had asked for. No Thing, no frightners etc... The five they sent were Italian Job, Troy, 12 Monkeys, Blood Diamond, and Jarhead. I much rather would have had my picks but, since I didn't expect to even get these I am pretty pumped. If you sent in to get these there is hope.

Vlachio
05-09-2008, 05:00 AM
I noticed allot of retailers stoped carrying HD DVD. I have no regrets cause I never bought a player.

Sam
05-09-2008, 05:37 AM
I'm a little bummed that Universal is offering lossless DTS on Blu titles that were only DD+ on HD DVD. But, as a whole, I think HD DVD helped tremendously in steering the 'wars' in the right direction. It'd be a travesty if the average Blu title was still on the level of the Fifth Element (pre-remaster).

SEANVALEN
07-04-2008, 11:41 PM
It all comes down to money and how much you love for the moment, you could be waiting for the war to end or maybe you didn't care, I recently brought some hd dvds, good price, I will always have a collection of hd dvds, but will get into blue ray buying titles probabley I haven't got on hddvd.

At the end of the day, none of my collection is going to be with me when I die, so I don't get myself worked up by it too much, movies and tv shows are fun, and fun is what you need in life, beers, films, pizza, traveling and cheap good deals on home entertainment!

Mattapooh
07-04-2008, 11:43 PM
You forgot "sluts", though.

Dave
07-05-2008, 01:18 AM
Got into it right when Toshiba bailed and the addons dropped to $50. Still hoping to get my five freebies, but no biggie either way. I've picked up lots at the fire sales and am happy to be in the high def boat at an affordable price.

SEANVALEN
07-18-2008, 02:56 PM
You forgot "sluts", though.

My apologies sir, I agree.;)

I recently brought Blade Runner the final cut and Black Rain pretty cheap on hd-dvd, a good deal is a good deal.