PDA

View Full Version : Hacky sack!

Dave
05-03-2008, 03:23 AM
Most of you now realize the site has been in a state of disarray for the past week. Anyone visiting the site for the past few weeks noticed massive slowdowns and the occasional database error.

Sadly, we came to discover that the server we are running on had been hacked into. Several months ago we went onto a dedicated server, meaning we have an entire server just for this site alone. There should never be any slowdowns as a result.

The host did a great job in regaining control over the server. They wisely chose to format and reload the entire operating system just to verify that no compromised files remained. Since that time I have upgraded both the main portal and the forum software. This would eliminate any potentially compromised files outside of operating system software.

The hackers certainly could have taken the data off the site, including usernames and passwords. However, if seems they actually weren't too interested in the site itself. They were simply running tons of programs on the server, which resulted in all the slowdowns.

Since reloading, restoring, and rebuilding everything, the speed has since returned. The host has scanned the server again and it came up clean.

Sadly, such is life when you run a public site on the web. There will always be this potential. Luckily I'm anal about doing backups and I'm enough of a geek to get the site back in a relatively quick manner. The big holdup here is I kept the site off until I could upgrade the forum. Many birds killed; only one stone thrown. But with the data backed up, the biggest risk is simply the downtime and slowdowns we experienced.

I will be vigilant about keeping the server and site software up to date to minimize chances of being hacked again in the future.

In the meantime, I would suggest everyone taking a look here: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?postid=1549690 to get a load of all the great new features available on the forum. Some of my favorites:

User picture galleries w/comments
Extended profile pages
Lightbox viewer for attached images

There are a few others, so we sure to keep an eye out. Finally, there are a few quirks to workout now that I've done some massive upgrades to the site software. Give me a few days to work out the bugs and we'll be back in business 100%.

Thanks everyone for your patience and support!

Fistfuck
05-03-2008, 05:02 PM
anal about doing backups... hehehe

TheShape
05-10-2008, 01:54 AM
Glad to see the site's back up. I really thought it was gone for good...

drown021
05-14-2008, 03:43 AM
Glad to see the site's back up. I really thought it was gone for good...

In the future,if it's possible,do a mass email saying your either gone or having trouble.I'm sure your inbox got bombarded with emails,this would help avoid that.. Plus,then your peeps would know whats up.Glad to see everything going again.