PDA

View Full Version : Criterion Go Blu-Ray

dwatts
05-08-2008, 07:46 AM
Our first Blu-ray discs are coming! We’ve picked a little over a dozen titles from the collection for Blu-ray treatment, and we’ll begin rolling them out in October. These new editions will feature glorious high-definition picture and sound, all the supplemental content of the DVD releases, and they will be priced to match our standard-def editions.

Here’s what’s in the pipeline:

The Third Man
Bottle Rocket
Chungking Express
The Man Who Fell to Earth
The Last Emperor
El Norte
The 400 Blows
Gimme Shelter
The Complete Monterey Pop
Contempt
Walkabout
For All Mankind
The Wages of Fear

Alongside our DVD and Blu-ray box sets of The Last Emperor, we’ll also be putting out the theatrical version as a stand-alone release in both formats, priced at $39.95. Our Blu-ray release of Walkabout will be an all-new edition, featuring new supplements as well as a new transfer; we will also release an updated anamorphic DVD of Nicolas Roeg’s outback masterpiece at the same time.

wago70
05-08-2008, 08:15 AM
Nice! I'd love to buy these of: Summertime, The Blob, Fiend Without a Face...Warhol's Frankenstein/Dracula....
hopefully next year. :)

Reverenddave
05-08-2008, 08:56 AM
It's about time they got started in HD. Out of those titles, I'm only interested in The Third Man and Wages Of Fear. I'm disappointed they don't have Vampyr or High & Low listed since they're releasing new 2-disc editions in July.

I'll be keeping an eye out for Carnival Of Souls, The Blob, Picnic At Hanging Rock, Diabolique, The Vanishing, Eyes Without A Face, Jigoku, Kwaidan, Onibaba, Sisters, Rafifi, and anything by Gilliam, Kurosawa, Hitchcock and Cronenberg. I wonder if they still have the rights to many of those.

meddle
05-08-2008, 08:59 AM
I am most interested in Contempt and The Third Man. Have they announced how much they will be charging yet?

Erick H.
05-08-2008, 09:03 AM
Wish THE NAKED PREY would get the HD treatment,it just came out as a standard disc through Criterion .

Reverenddave
05-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Have they announced how much they will be charging yet?

According to the announcement:

"These new editions will feature glorious high-definition picture and sound, all the supplemental content of the DVD releases, and they will be priced to match our standard-def editions."

So I'm guessing most will be around $39.99 with a few smaller titles at $29.99. Unfortunately, it's tough to find good deals/sales on Criterions. Usually the best you'll get is around 30% Off.

meddle
05-08-2008, 10:47 AM
According to the announcement:

"These new editions will feature glorious high-definition picture and sound, all the supplemental content of the DVD releases, and they will be priced to match our standard-def editions."

So I'm guessing most will be around $39.99 with a few smaller titles at $29.99. Unfortunately, it's tough to find good deals/sales on Criterions. Usually the best you'll get is around 30% Off.

Thanks for the info. Those prices are better then I expected and with in my budget.

KR~!
05-08-2008, 12:40 PM
They cost the same as their DVD versions, sounds good to me!

geeare
05-08-2008, 01:40 PM
PLEASE give me Spinal Tap!!!!!!

Ash J. Williams
05-08-2008, 01:41 PM
Salo.

In High Definition.

"Circle of Shit"

Mattapooh
05-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Few things would make me more excited than something like Ran in HD. Well, maybe the Shogun miniseries, but that's wishful thinking times ten.

dwatts
05-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Salo.

In High Definition.
:banana:
"Circle of Shit"

Coming.........

Noto
05-08-2008, 04:24 PM
I'll be picking up about 7 of those, but I'm particularly excited about the new releases like Bottle Rocket and Chunking Express, especially since the old Chunking DVD (non-Criterion) looked like ass.

Matt89
05-08-2008, 05:37 PM
Wow I'd love to get The Third Man in hi-def...but I never knew Criterion owned the rights to Chungking Express...wow.

~Matt

X-human
05-08-2008, 08:23 PM
The Third Man, Walkabout and probably Contempt. Brigitte Bardot's rump in high definition, can't pass that up.

KamuiX
05-09-2008, 05:20 AM
I'm most interested in Chungking Express and Walkabout. As much as I love The Wages of Fear, I can't really see myself upgrading. In fact, I don't see myself upgrading any of my Criterions unless they're all-new editions and not just Blu-Ray versions of the current releases. Except for maybe Ran, since it's my all-time favorite movie and all.

I'm all for this though...it would be exceptional if they started releasing all of their new stuff in DVD and Blu-Ray at the same time. That would be great!

Vlachio
05-09-2008, 06:15 AM
Mmmmmm EL NORTE cool flick about the american dream.

Sam
05-09-2008, 06:34 AM
I really wasn't expecting these to be priced equally to DVD. Great news, even if the dvds are a bit pricey. But.. still better than the $60 or more I was anticipating per title.

broadwayrock
05-09-2008, 05:22 PM
Looks like Eureka's Master of Cinema series is jumping onto Blu-ray too:

http://i28.tinypic.com/2q0k9ck.jpg

It very modern choice of film to debut on Blu-ray (Eureka are releasing the film in the UK cinemas as well as DVD/Blu-ray).

KamuiX
05-10-2008, 11:03 AM
Looks like Eureka's Master of Cinema series is jumping onto Blu-ray too:

http://i28.tinypic.com/2q0k9ck.jpg

It very modern choice of film to debut on Blu-ray (Eureka are releasing the film in the UK cinemas as well as DVD/Blu-ray).

I was pretty surprised when I heard MoC were jumping into the modern film game. Luckily, this is a wonderful film and a fit for the series. Although since it's a NEW film, I can definitely understand why it's being released on Blu. Looking forward to hearing if they'll be releasing the classics in HD as well.

LivingDeadMafia
05-11-2008, 01:55 AM
no more then 5 sec after i finally placed an order for "the third man" criterion dvd, did i get the email from criterion about going blu, and what was at the top of the list "THE THIRD MAN"!! needless to say i quickly cancel my order and will wait restlessly for the Blu-ray version VERY HAPPY!!!