PDA

View Full Version : Interesting experiment with a CRT TV

baggio
05-19-2008, 04:15 PM
I recently picked up 3 HD Cables boxes from Cablevision, even though I only have one HDTV. So I hooked one of the HD cable boxes to a 13 year old 27 inch. CRT Standard tv. When I switch to the HD channels , for ex. 702 or 704 CBS & NBC in HD, I get razor sharp pictures that I never had before with the old standard cable box. And this is using RF cables only! RF cable to the HD box - then RF to the VCR - then RF to the TV!!!

Even those low end connections I get a incredible picture.

What gives? Is all of this HDTV tv's a scam. :lol:

On a serious note, Its a great picture at any angle, closeness, lighting, etc...

If your asking why the extra 2 HD boxes? but only one HDTV. In a earlier thread I asked if it would work on Standard tvs & it does. I got them to watch Monsters HD in various rooms. Plus all the other extra HD channels like Kungfu Channel, etc...

Anybody else try this?

dwatts
05-19-2008, 06:56 PM
Well, maybe your TV was PAL compatible - and Pal was 625 lines, rather than then 400-odd of NTSC..... so maybe you're now at a qualuty similar to what the Brits have always had?

KR~!
05-19-2008, 10:26 PM
I have a HD cable box hooked up to my old ass heck, they don't even make them anymore and I can't believe it still works, TV.

Works great :)

not as good as a real 1080p HDTV of course.

rxfiend
05-19-2008, 11:31 PM
So when you watch these HD channels on a STV, does it show the movies in letterbox or is everything stretched?

Horrorphilly
05-19-2008, 11:42 PM
Do and of you guys watch your lcd tv in a room without any air condition? I saw in my manual that you shouldnt have the tv in a room with the temp. at 104 degrees.I called the tech support and they guy told me that 104 and hotter will cause the tv screen to sweat and in turn that means the screen is melting.Any one have any info on this? Shit our bodys are 98 degreees and what if we have a 101 degree fever,3 more degrees and our tvs melt.

Sean

Horrorphilly
05-19-2008, 11:50 PM
Sorry that last post from me was meant to be a new thread.

Sean

rxfiend
05-20-2008, 03:22 AM
Sean you can delete posts within a thread. Just click on edit, then delete.

baggio
05-20-2008, 06:19 PM
So when you watch these HD channels on a STV, does it show the movies in letterbox or is everything stretched?

It shows the movies / tv shows in letterboxed. Not stretched. Which shocked me at first, I thought they would be stretched.

X-human
05-20-2008, 08:39 PM
Does it work without the VCR? I'm curious if the VCR just sends through and that stripped the signal of the digital handshake. But I figure your cable box just down converts to the CRT.

baggio
05-21-2008, 09:02 PM
Does it work without the VCR? I'm curious if the VCR just sends through and that stripped the signal of the digital handshake. But I figure your cable box just down converts to the CRT.

Yes it works with it going straight from the wall, to the HD cable box, to the TV.

All RF connections. Haven't tried it with rca jacks.

KR~!
05-21-2008, 11:50 PM
It shows the movies / tv shows in letterboxed. Not stretched. Which shocked me at first, I thought they would be stretched.

that is correct, on my box the "box part" is gray rather than black like a letterbox DVD.

baggio
05-22-2008, 06:04 PM
that is correct, on my box the "box part" is gray rather than black like a letterbox DVD.

I don't know if yours is a Scientific Atlanta box or not. But in the settings(hitting the settings button twice) there is a way to change the color of the bars. There are 3 choices, and one setting is called Dark, try that one.