PDA

View Full Version : Least Favorite Golden Era Argento

rhett
05-25-2008, 09:14 AM
So two of Dario's classics, PHENOMENA and TENEBRE, get a much deserved facelift this week courtesy of Anchor Bay. There's enough threads out there debating his best film, but how about his worst from the ones that everyone else seems to love. Which of his classics is your least favorite?

bwana the clown
05-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Opera. I always considered that to be his first non-golden era film. I mean, it's pretty good and all, but it just don't float my boat like the others mentioned above.

dwatts
05-25-2008, 10:09 AM
Phenomena - but just talking from the point of view of the least watched film - the one I go back to the least - Deep Red.

Hellbilly
05-25-2008, 10:23 AM
Inferno. Cracked me up but not in a good way. I want my Argento movies to be free of unintentional humor if possible.

dwatts
05-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Inferno. Cracked me up but not in a good way. I want my Argento movies to be free of unintentional humor if possible.

I bet you can count those on no fingers. :lol:

Cujo108
05-25-2008, 10:47 AM
Opera, which really is just a weak film. It has style, sure, but everything else about it is a mess. The film also features the weakest killer in Argento's canon. Well, at least up to Do You Like Hitchcock? Of the Argento films I own, it's the one I find myself going back to the least.

The other five are brilliant. Really, it's like one of those puzzles asking you which one doesn't belong. It's that much of a step down.

Hellbilly
05-25-2008, 10:47 AM
I bet you can count those on no fingers. :lol:

That might be true but personally I think Inferno has the most of unwanted humor :D

dwatts
05-25-2008, 10:51 AM
When cats attack - via catapult. Is that a problem? And the cook who takes a break to smack someone around a bit? :D

_pi_
05-25-2008, 01:38 PM
A hard choice. I love them all, but I have found that every time I try to rewatch Phenomena these days, I give up after an hour or so ... Don't know why :(

Opera has the weakest ending, though, by far.

onebyone
05-25-2008, 04:22 PM
After I first watched Opera, I didnt watch an Argento movie for like 3 years. I really didn't like it.

Jason25
05-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Phenomena, what a snoozer. I can barely make it through it. I've given it a few chances but it really is just a poor, poor film.

rhett
05-25-2008, 05:41 PM
I am surprised for all the hate for OPERA. I've always loved it. I think it has it all - another great script that really looks at Argento's infatuation with sight and the notion of being a director, some awesome kills (bullet through the phone) and great Simonetti tracks. DEEP RED is always the one that disappoints me - I keep thinking I should love it and that there's something wrong with me, but whenever I try to watch it I just start to lose interest fast. I really want to give the theatrical cut a look, that might be the deal breaker.

satans-sadists
05-25-2008, 06:12 PM
Don't really hate any of these films, but I just think Opera has the least going for it compared to the others on this list. Like Cujo108 said, the killer in this movie is lame by comparison and I always thought the pacing could be better. Opera has put me to sleep more than once. My favorites on this list are Suspiria and Tenebre.

Paff
05-25-2008, 06:26 PM
DEEP RED is always the one that disappoints me - I keep thinking I should love it and that there's something wrong with me, but whenever I try to watch it I just start to lose interest fast. I really want to give the theatrical cut a look, that might be the deal breaker.

The only thing with that is that you can't "unwatch" the extended cut. So while you may then prefer the shorter version, the extra scenes will be in the back of your mind.

Let me explain. A friend recently saw Deep Red, and for her, the subtitles did not work. So in a sense, she DID see the theatrical cut. She said the movie was very confusing, and characters' motivations did not make sense.

See, the extended scenes provide the "depth", if you'll pardon the pun. So you'll always know those scenes, even if you watch the shorter version. It WILL make sense, but only because you've seen the original cut a couple of times. That's why I bristle when people say they prefer the shorter version.

meddle
05-25-2008, 06:54 PM
I enjoy all the films listed to some degree. The weakest on the list IMO is Phenomena. It was the first time I noticed a drastic decline in the quality of Argento's films that has continued until recently with his latest Mother of Tears showing signs of the old Argento.

KamuiX
05-25-2008, 11:15 PM
Opera...insanely overrated, and it ended the "Golden Era" for Argento without a doubt. It's a complete mess, with a killer you can pick out in the first 5 minutes as long as you're not brain-dead, and completely idiot characters. The kills rock, but they certainly don't make up for the horrid script.

Paff
05-26-2008, 12:29 AM
Just an FYI, I selected Tenebre. Paradoxically, it's one of the Argento films I go to most often, but I find it kind of mindless. It's the most "Fulci-esque" of his work. A lot of the camera techniques, lighting schemes, and "5 years in the future" look (Argento's own desired intent) are all interesting, but really don't service the plot very much. Speaking of plot, it does start getting bogged down late, and characters are seemingly introduced just so they can get killed. That's something Argento never used to do; all the killings in his previous gialli serviced the plot. Finally, it's impossible to figure out the killer based on the on-screen events. That goes against the rules of the giallo. Yeah, I know, breaking the rules is always something Argento did, but it was uncool in this case.

Cut down the body count, make the lighting scheme mean something, and have an undercurrent of dopplegangers and alter egos that would lend the viewer to be able to solve the mystery and I might like it a lot more.

Vlachio
05-26-2008, 12:40 AM
Phenomena, what a snoozer. I can barely make it through it. I've given it a few chances but it really is just a poor, poor film.

Yeah it's pretty bad. I liked all the gore in it allot. That couldn't save it at all IMO. The film did not have any of the magic Tenebre had.

othervoice1
05-26-2008, 01:33 AM
I have not seen Opera, Phenomena or Inferno so I am automatically disqualified from voting- A friend of mine hated Opera but I havent seen it personally yet. Suspiria is one of my all time faves and I thought Tenebre was very good also. I thought Deep Red was okay but was kinda let down when I saw it since I had heard so many good things about it.

fceurich39
05-26-2008, 03:55 AM
inferno is my least favorite followed by deep red

Coverdale
05-26-2008, 04:06 AM
I picked Phenomena. It's just...too weird or something. I'm relieved to see others don't like it because up until now I've always kind of "hidden" my dislike of it, since those who DO like it, like it so much.

I'm surprised to see that Opera is in the lead, though. It was the 2nd Argento I ever saw (after Suspiria) and thought it was just really cool.

indiephantom
05-26-2008, 04:26 AM
I love all of these films, but INFERNO is my least favorite of those mentioned. It looks incredible, but doesn't have as many standout moments for me.

Coverdale
05-26-2008, 04:30 AM
For about a day after I saw Inferno, I thought it was better than Suspiria, but then I re-watched Suspiria and realized that no, Suspiria was still much better.

But I'm still saying Phenomena is my least favorite prime-period Argento.

rhett
05-26-2008, 04:34 AM
I love all of these films, but INFERNO is my least favorite of those mentioned. It looks incredible, but doesn't have as many standout moments for me.
I think the one place where INFERNO falters is the soundtrack. The traditional score worked with someone as talented as Morricone for his more traditional films, but for those wild Golden Era films it's gotta be something with the experimental complexity of Goblin. Still, it is what it is and I still love it, although it has been ages since I've revisited it compared to the others on the list.

X-human
05-26-2008, 05:06 AM
I voted Deep Red as my least favorite, it feels like a made for TV movie to me.

The only problem I have with Opera is the metal music, but only because the lyrics don't really work with it.

thrashard76
05-26-2008, 05:53 AM
Deep Red

dwatts
05-26-2008, 08:42 AM
I think the one place where INFERNO falters is the soundtrack. The traditional score worked with someone as talented as Morricone for his more traditional films, but for those wild Golden Era films it's gotta be something with the experimental complexity of Goblin. Still, it is what it is and I still love it, although it has been ages since I've revisited it compared to the others on the list.

I used to think along these lines, but all that changed when I bought the soundtrack CD. Once I'd gotten used to the music as music, then revisited the film, I saw how wonderful it is, matching that of the Goblin soundtracks. It's really terrific, and if you don't have the soundtrack, try to pick it up.

Crystal Plumage
05-26-2008, 12:55 PM
Sorry,can't vote...:(
Opera is my least watched Argento (edit: off this list) but still a very great film.And I like the ending.Imagine Phenomena coming right after it...Classic!

I love them,I love them all....

Ash28M
05-26-2008, 02:23 PM
I love them all but I guess I would say Phenomena is the weakest.

zompirejoe
05-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Inferno is my least favorite, just makes no sense to me. I actually like all his movies except for Do You Like Hitchcock ?.

rp108
05-26-2008, 08:19 PM
Accidently voted for Tenebre cause I thought the poll asked for favorite. Least favorite for me is Inferno.

Stige
05-29-2008, 11:17 AM
like all of them but I have to admit I have trouble sitting through deep red more than once in a loooong while

darklight
05-29-2008, 05:09 PM
I enjoy all the films listed to some degree. The weakest on the list IMO is Phenomena. It was the first time I noticed a drastic decline in the quality of Argento's films that has continued until recently with his latest Mother of Tears showing signs of the old Argento.

Dude you must be kidding.:eek: Mother Of Tears showing signs of the old Argento:confused:This has to one of his worst films, behind The Card Player that is. Awful script, acting and badly exacuted scenes (nice gore though). The film is total poo:fire:

Paff
05-29-2008, 07:56 PM
Dude you must be kidding.:eek: Mother Of Tears showing signs of the old Argento:confused:This has to one of his worst films, behind The Card Player that is. Awful script, acting and badly exacuted scenes (nice gore though). The film is total poo:fire:

Poo or not, I'll be there opening night (which for me is June 27th)

MrVess
06-08-2008, 11:48 PM
I'll happily admit this - I've never cared for "Suspiria" at all. Or perhaps for anything in it and about it apart from the opening theme and the first murder scene, anyway.

The others are at least good. Even the mostly flat "Inferno" has the beautiful sunken cellar scene that alone makes the movie worth seeing.

DVD-fanatic-9
06-14-2008, 06:34 PM
Inferno. And I did like it, but I didn't like a good deal of the music that Keith Emerson did for the movie. It just didn't have the feel of an Argento movie score. Much too old-fashioned, high-pitched, and shrill. The style was okay, but I didn't think the women were as beautiful as Argento usually gets for his films. Daria Nicolodi looked terrible in the movie. I didn't think most of the death scenes were very visually interesting. And I didn't like the story at all. What I could figure out.

Livingdead102
06-15-2008, 04:50 AM
I voted Inferno. I like it well enough, but nothing stands out to me. Even now, it's hard for me to remember more than a few scenes, and then even with not much detail.

Funny that Opera is ranked so highly (poorly?)--it's unquestionably my favorite Argento film. I do have kind of shitty taste, though.